The Body Shop Body Butter - Cocoa Butter

4.2

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water (Solvent/Diluent), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil (Emollient/Skin Conditioner), Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Butter (Emollient), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) (Emollient), Glycerin (Humectant), Cyclopentasiloxane (Emollient), Glyceryl Stearate (Emulsifier), PEG-100 Stearate (Surfactant), Cetearyl Alcohol (Emulsifier), Lanolin Alcohol (Stabiliser/Emollient), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Fragrance (Fragrance), MethylPARABEN (Preservative), PropylPARABEN (Preservative), Xanthan Gum (Viscosity Modifier), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster), Caramel (Colour), Yellow 5 (Colour)

on 5/14/2009 2:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

This is a pretty good body butter. Moisturizes well. It is non-greasy yet leaves a nice sheen on the skin. The scent is a little weird, though.

on 5/11/2009 12:20:00 PM

From the three body butters that I have, I like this the most (the others are Mango and Moringa).
The smell is absolutely adorable, if you put it on in the morning you can still smell a scent the day after. Also it's not like you are carrying a cloud of smell with you around. Just a hint of smell.

It goes on smoothly and absorbs quite well, actually I also use this for my face. It leaves sometimes a tiny layer behind, but I cover it with powder and then its okay.
I also often cream my feet with this thickly before I go to bed and put on thick socks on. The next day I have wonderful feet, really moisturized (i have very dry feet).

The butter is a bit thick, not creamy like the Moringa Butter for example. So in order to avoid wasting too much of the product, I usually take a little bit and then rub it between my hands, so that it warms up and applies better.

Of course it is expensive, but its worth the price. Good quality. There is a dupe for this in Germany though, the one from Balea.

All in all I loooooove this product, it is (until now) my favourite butter from The Body Shop. :)

on 3/4/2009 8:29:00 PM

OMG I could eat this stuff it smells so yummy! My husband says I smell like a giant cake. It is rich but not too greasy and sticky like Mango Butter. I love it especially during the summer after sunbathing.

on 2/18/2009 5:34:00 AM

I loved this body butter when i got it and it's one of the few I went completely through a whole jar.
I switched to more natural skincare like Weleda and Dr.Hauschka, but I'm considering buying it again because it's so comforting.
It's thick for sure, so you have to like that kind of texture and I do.
Especially in winter it's nice to massage your skin at night, making it so smooth and soft!
The jar is convenient. You just open it and live it open until you finish your work, you can dig your fingers and scoop a good amount.
It's more effective than putting plain vegetable oils directly on your skin on wet skin after a bath/shower, because many of them just seat on top without really moisturising below the surface.
Being emulsionated this one is more effective than an oil.
It works on rough skin points too and the smell is sooo good!
It doesn't smell too chocolate-y, which I love in food not in creams.
It has a sweet cocoa butter smell instead, surely adjusted since natural butters are usually not so nice smelling.
I will buy it again for sure, even if it's not that cheap.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

This is my favorite out of all the other body butters. It moisturizes my skin okay. It lasts only about 2 weeks with using it twice a day. It's very expensive, so for the price there are butter products out there that do a better job, so I have moved on from this product.

on 12/8/2008 11:05:00 PM

Ahh this brings back old high school memories. I have never owned this, however, but one of my best friends did and she let me use it all the time as hand lotion. My friend and I would sit together in psych class bored out of our minds applying this body butter like a daily ritual. It smelled really good, a light cocoa butter scent, and had a thick consistency. However, it was very greasy. It probably wasn't the best thing to use in public and in school, because it would cause difficulty holding pens and would grease stain my papers; I'm sure my teacher loved us. It did moisturize very well, but I would reserve this for emergencies, like applying it at night on dry winter skin. I guess it's good for sentimental purposes though, because whenever I see/smell it I take a trip down memory lane....

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This is one of my favorite Body Shop body butters! I find that it moisturizes very well, smells great, and absorbs fairly quickly. I have already repurchased it several times, and will continue to do so.

on 10/23/2008 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

I think the main attraction of the body butter range to me is the "scent". IMO Palmers cocoa butter smells better than this, well, more chocolaty than this.
The moisturizing effect of this Cocoa butter is really nice. Smoothes my dry flaky skin due to indoor heating.
However, the price is kinda high for a body lotion. I'll stick with Palmer when I crave for a "chocolate" fix lol.

on 10/15/2008 2:59:00 AM

*Click on "Continued>>" to view pics / full review*

At a Glance:
Price: RM59.90 / US$20
Website: thebodyshop.com
Weight: 200ml / 6.7 oz (190g)
Ingredients: Sodium Chloride, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Sucrose, Silica, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Dimethicone, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Benzyl Benzoate, Tocopherol, Coumarin, Butylphenyl Methylpropional

Product Description

Embrace your softer side with a creamy, chocolate-scented scrub that has exfoliating ground rice and almond shell powder.

Actual Product Pic:

Texture & Scent:

This brown body scrub has lots of tiny particles (should be the crushed almond shells?) and is quite scrubby, so do be gentle while exfoliating yourself in the shower! The scent however, is sooo overpowering! *gasps for breath* The chocolate-buttery smell is quite nauseating actually, though i'm a huge chocolate fan!! I wish they would tone down on the fragrance!! Phew!!

Packaging:

This mask comes in a screw top pot as you can see, which i'm ok with, though i wish it came in a squeeze tube for hygenic reasons.

Time Test:
This makes my legs buttery smooth, and that lasts for a day or two :)

Price & Availability:
At RM59.90 / US$20, it is on the expensive side, though you get quite a lot of product! This is available at all TBS brick & mortar shops, as well as their official website (thebodyshop.com).

Usage:
I use this as it is, a body scrub! I heard that it's a great pre-shave treatment too, so girls who shave your legs may want to try this prior to shaving! :D

My $0.02:
This scrub performs beautifully!! I have dry scaly legs from sitting in an air-conditioned room all day long (and i don't moisturize *faints*). After 2 uses my legs are smooth again!! :D It's rather moisturizing too! I, however, HATED the smell cuz it's REALLY overpowering... it's soo sickly sweet that it's just gag-inducing!!

In a Nutshell:

A wonderful body scrub that stinks! lol!

Likes: Effective!!, moisturizing, easily available
Gripes: The PONG!
Repurchase: Yes

Rating: ! 4.5 Stars! Near HG Stuff! (Would have been HG stuff if it wasn't for the smell!!)

Credits: Product photo from thebodyshop.com continued >>

on 10/7/2008 6:14:00 PM

I'm not sure why people said this smells bad... I rather like the smell. It's kind of perfume-y. It is also very moisturizing but thick and almost paste-like. I would def buy it again.

Top Rated The Body Shop Products