October 25, 2014 | 878 users online

Primer/ Corrector - DHC - Velvet Skin Coat

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2009 5:50:00 PM More reviews by yeliab

This is another DHC Winner! I tried the sample I received in the catalog and it is Amazing! I tried all the other primers out there; smashbox, laura mercier, laura geller, bare escentuals, etc. the other primers rub off - if you put make up on top of the other primers - the primer would rub off in small little balls - like pilling.

This DHC goes on smooth and I can actually just use this without any foundation and it keeps my skin Matte, oil free and smooth looking. But if I feel like wearing foundation - minerals, liquids, cremes, etc it gives the foundation a really Good start. It keeps the oil at bay all day.

The other primers on my combination skin starts to show shine on the forehead and nose area. Not a great thing.

The DHC does not show shine - it keeps things matte and smooth. It's a great product! If you have the samples - You MUST Try it!! Worth the money!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/12/2009 4:10:00 PM More reviews by RuKa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I didn't even make it out the door with this stuff. It felt nice going on, very soft and easy to work with, but my makeup didn't like it so much. Cakey, ugh! I had to wash off and start over without it (sort of, my normally super sudsy soap couldn't even form one bubble trying to get this off, thanks to the silicone). I won't be buying the full size, thank god for samples.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2009 1:03:00 PM More reviews by kupo_baby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This was the first primer I've ever tried. I used it several times & while I didn't notice any skin perfecting, I loved the way it made my skin feel (getting rid of any moisturizer tackiness). I also loved that it got rid of shine since I don't like shine competing with my highlighters. I will continue to use some kind of primer. Have a Smashbox sample to try & then I'll probably get the Monistat Anti-Chaf since it's only $5.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2009 10:00:00 PM More reviews by jhr

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this product! Yes, it's totally fake. I hope it doesn't do something terrible to my skin with time. But, I guess I'm willing to take that chance.

It makes my skin feel so smooth. After applying Velvet Skin Coat, my makeup just glides on. This is great, especially under my eyes where the skin has gotten thin and crepe-y. It also creates a beautiful primed and smooth base for tinted moisturizer or foundation.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2009 10:54:00 PM More reviews by frenchconnection

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product truly feels velvety, is easy to apply, and liquid foundation simply glides over it. My foundation looked great, and I went off to work thinking I had found a new fantastic product. Well, fast-forward to lunch four hours later. Ouch! I looked really shiny and two small friends (read: zitlets) had popped up on my cheek. I hate it, but this primer does not agree with my skin. By the end of my work day, I noticed a few splotchy red places, too. I don't have sensitive skin and am usually okay with silicones. DHC makes some great products, but I will pass on this one!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/1/2009 4:10:00 PM More reviews by DorkyLimabean

I did not try the actual product, but I have tried the sample. The primer when applied on is very smooth and velvety soft, just as the name of it describes! It creates a beautiful smooth canvas for the face and also make your makeup last throughout the day. However, within a few days, I started to have two cystic pimples around my nose area, which I rarely have unless used a wrong product. As much as I may love its application, unfortunately I cannot buy this product again since it broke me out. =(

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2009 2:27:00 AM More reviews by flawlessbackflip

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

i just have a sample of this so i don't know anything about its packaging.
but oh my god. when i use this as a primer, my foundation slides on like butter. and my face literally felt like velvet the whole day. my skin was also oil free by the end of the day, which is amazing because i hadn't put on any moisturizer and my skin is usually very oily.
but $21 for half an ounce- i dont know. but i would still find it somewhere cheaper because this stuff is amazing.

edit: i bought the full packaging, and this stuff doesn't contain my oily skin like it used to. and my foundation doesn't have a longer lifespan either... i also hate the consistency. it's not very thick, and it squirts out of the tube in a weird way. also, sometimes when i put it on it "rolls" off in powdery chunks. damn. and i thought i found my hg :(

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2009 5:57:00 PM More reviews by littlepurplebutterfly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Best primer I've ever used. I will buy it again!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2009 9:33:00 AM More reviews by babyv7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I like a lot of DHC products and this is no exception. I use it as a primer underneath my foundation and it makes my foundation go on smooth. I'm not crazy about the little tube it comes in because when I go to squeeze out the primer, it shoots out in "spurts." If I had to choose though, between DHC Velvet Skin Coat and Smashbox's Photo Finish, Smashbox would be the winner. The consistency is slightly better as is the packaging. For comparison purposes, I also tried Laura Geller's primer and do not care for it mostly because of the consistency.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/3/2009 11:32:00 PM More reviews by mrsloliver

I got this when it went on sale a year ago, I haven't been using it much because it turned my face into a grease ball after 3-4 hrs. It also broke me out a little (although I'm not sure if it was from the Velvet Skin Coat or my poor diet). Still have 2/3 of one tube and a brand new tube cuz I bought them together as a set..will probably only use it when I absolutely have to look flawless.