DHC Velvet Skin Coat

3.8

cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, HDI / trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, silica, propylparaben

on 4/17/2009 5:55:00 PM

This stuff is pure magic. I got a sample in my catalogue and I can't even believe how awesome it is. I have combination skin with large pores and some fine lines. I smoothed this on and everything went instantly velvety matte, pores were filled in, lines were filled in, everything was softened and my skin looked AMAZING, and this was BEFORE putting on my foundation. I then went to put my Studio Sculpt over this, and my face looks PERFECT. Not only that, but I never even had to touch up during the day. I will definitely buy a whole tube once I use up this sample. It's awesome. What more can I say?

on 3/28/2009 5:16:00 PM

This was my first primer ever, I used it in high school when I got a sample. I only needed to use a tiny bit, those samples would last me about 10 uses which I saved for my extra special occasions. I didn't know what to expect but I was amazed at the difference. I had smooth, soft, matte skin. Even without foundation it looked better. My makeup went on totally flawless, lasted, and the product didn't make me break out despite having quite oily skin. It didn't get cakey or feel particularly heavy either. The primer and an average coverage foundation will just feel like a full coverage foundation. This is one of my favorite products ever! I'm glad I got their sample in the catalog.

on 3/19/2009 4:06:00 PM

I got a sample of this product and was amazed. When I went to purchase it I was even further amazed. The product itself isn't too highly priced but in order for me to get it, here in Canada, I'd have to do mail order and that adds to the price significantly. So... I checked what y'all had to say and found out about the Monistat Chafing Powder-Gel. I went to Walmart and bought it. It works very well. I have had no skin breakouts and I have sensitive skin so that's good. Anyway, I called Monistat because the coupon inside was outdated. I was worried about the product being outdated. The rep checked the lot number and told me all is well. She offered to send out a couple of coupons and said that people can call monthly to get coupons sent out on any of their products. Imagine that! A great product and coupons, too!

on 3/18/2009 5:50:00 PM

This is another DHC Winner! I tried the sample I received in the catalog and it is Amazing! I tried all the other primers out there; smashbox, laura mercier, laura geller, bare escentuals, etc. the other primers rub off - if you put make up on top of the other primers - the primer would rub off in small little balls - like pilling.

This DHC goes on smooth and I can actually just use this without any foundation and it keeps my skin Matte, oil free and smooth looking. But if I feel like wearing foundation - minerals, liquids, cremes, etc it gives the foundation a really Good start. It keeps the oil at bay all day.

The other primers on my combination skin starts to show shine on the forehead and nose area. Not a great thing.

The DHC does not show shine - it keeps things matte and smooth. It's a great product! If you have the samples - You MUST Try it!! Worth the money!

on 3/12/2009 4:10:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I didn't even make it out the door with this stuff. It felt nice going on, very soft and easy to work with, but my makeup didn't like it so much. Cakey, ugh! I had to wash off and start over without it (sort of, my normally super sudsy soap couldn't even form one bubble trying to get this off, thanks to the silicone). I won't be buying the full size, thank god for samples.

on 3/11/2009 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This was the first primer I've ever tried. I used it several times & while I didn't notice any skin perfecting, I loved the way it made my skin feel (getting rid of any moisturizer tackiness). I also loved that it got rid of shine since I don't like shine competing with my highlighters. I will continue to use some kind of primer. Have a Smashbox sample to try & then I'll probably get the Monistat Anti-Chaf since it's only $5.

on 3/8/2009 10:00:00 PM

I love this product! Yes, it's totally fake. I hope it doesn't do something terrible to my skin with time. But, I guess I'm willing to take that chance.

It makes my skin feel so smooth. After applying Velvet Skin Coat, my makeup just glides on. This is great, especially under my eyes where the skin has gotten thin and crepe-y. It also creates a beautiful primed and smooth base for tinted moisturizer or foundation.

This product truly feels velvety, is easy to apply, and liquid foundation simply glides over it. My foundation looked great, and I went off to work thinking I had found a new fantastic product. Well, fast-forward to lunch four hours later. Ouch! I looked really shiny and two small friends (read: zitlets) had popped up on my cheek. I hate it, but this primer does not agree with my skin. By the end of my work day, I noticed a few splotchy red places, too. I don't have sensitive skin and am usually okay with silicones. DHC makes some great products, but I will pass on this one!

I did not try the actual product, but I have tried the sample. The primer when applied on is very smooth and velvety soft, just as the name of it describes! It creates a beautiful smooth canvas for the face and also make your makeup last throughout the day. However, within a few days, I started to have two cystic pimples around my nose area, which I rarely have unless used a wrong product. As much as I may love its application, unfortunately I cannot buy this product again since it broke me out. =(

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

i just have a sample of this so i don't know anything about its packaging.
but oh my god. when i use this as a primer, my foundation slides on like butter. and my face literally felt like velvet the whole day. my skin was also oil free by the end of the day, which is amazing because i hadn't put on any moisturizer and my skin is usually very oily.
but $21 for half an ounce- i dont know. but i would still find it somewhere cheaper because this stuff is amazing.

edit: i bought the full packaging, and this stuff doesn't contain my oily skin like it used to. and my foundation doesn't have a longer lifespan either... i also hate the consistency. it's not very thick, and it squirts out of the tube in a weird way. also, sometimes when i put it on it "rolls" off in powdery chunks. damn. and i thought i found my hg :(