July 28, 2014 | 1594 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 2/14/2011 1:46:00 PM More reviews by janejp

This irritated my skin and broke me out.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2011 10:15:00 PM More reviews by brittanygirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I like this cleanser alot, it works for me. I have rosacea, acne prone, and dry skin and it's very gentle. It doesn't break me out, leave my skin dry, or flare up my rosacea. It takes most of my makeup off. I definitely recommend it :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2011 7:52:00 PM More reviews by ColdFire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tend to prefer liquid cleansers to bars because storage is easier, but I'm so glad I gave this bar a shot. I got it for free with a big pump bottle of the Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion at Walgreens when I was doing the acne.org regimen. I've since stopped the regimen but I'm still using this bar because it's so amazing.
I really feel like it calms my skin as I'm washing, there aren't any irritating ingredients and it hasn't caused me to break out or anything. It just feels soothing on my face, none of that tight feeling after cleansing.
I do find that it doesn't remove face makeup very well, so I use a little cold cream beforehand and it works fine. Since I don't know bar soaps I'm not sure if this is expensive or not, but the same bar is only about halfway gone after a month of use so it's not a bad value for $4 or so.
If you're looking for a good basic cleanser, try this. It should be gentle enough for most skin types and the price isn't bad.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2011 1:32:00 PM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am in LOVE with this soap! Wow! I have super duper sensitive, oily, acne-prone skin with rosacea and I have a very difficult time finding products that my skin will tolerate. For the past few months, my skin has been breaking out in tiny little clogged pores and closed comedones that just wouldn't go away for anything. I was using Dove unscented bar soap for the longest time. It would always work great at first and then begin to clog my pores like mad after a few days. Then I would switch back to my Aveeno ultra-calming foaming soap that would feel nice, but would make my skin feel a bit dry and rashy. I was really reluctant to use this soap, but I couldn't ignore the great reviews!

First, I LOVE the scent! I've always avoided soaps with fragrance because my skin reacts to it, but not this! It's so pleasant to use and the smell lingers for a while. It's oddly comforting to me. After washing, my skin doesn't feel dry at all, just clean and fresh. After using for only 2 days, all the clogged pores on my forehead VANISHED. Gone! I couldn't believe it! My skin is so smooth and soft now. It's so wonderful to wake up in the morning and not have to worry about piling a ton of makeup on to make my skin look "normal". Let me tell you, covering bumpy rosacea is no small feat and this incredible soap has shaved at least 15 minutes from my morning routine!
One last thing... This isn't a huge deal for me, but make sure you keep your eyes closed when washing because it burns my eyes like CRAZY. I'm not sure how it's so gentle on the skin, yet stings the eyes like acid, but I'm not put off by it.
For reference, I bought this at CVS for $4.99, which I thought was a bit pricey for a bar of soap. Then I saw it at Wal-mart for only $3.27. Grrrrrr.... I'll have to remember to buy it there from now on! Actually, I'm going to stock up on a few bars so I'll never be without!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2011 5:33:00 PM More reviews by michelleb1911

This stuff is amazing. Just 36 hours ago my face was a red angry bumpy mess and now it is calm, clear and smooth. My skin had been gradually getting worse and worse the last few months. I was trying out Ponds Cold Cream after reading about Kylie Minogue using it, and then I was trying to compensate the greasyness, bumpy lumps and clogged pores with too much very strong Glycolic Acid which was drawing out all the oil and gunk the cold cream was putting in over months of buildup. Big mess. Out of desperation over my erupting face I was searching MA for something simple and basic to try to calm my skin. I found the great reviews for this Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar and rushed straight out the door at 9pm to find it. I'm so glad I did.

I don't usually believe anyone should write a review until they have used a product for at least a few months, however in this case it has been such a quick turnaround I thought it worth sharing due to the amazing results. It somehow works instantly to calm and balance the skin. I must admit I washed my face about 4 times yesterday and even used some of the soap as a spot treatment overnight. I followed up with a tiny amount of the Cetaphil Moisture Cream which I have been using for about 2 years.

So if you are suffering from stressed out, angry, breaking out skin - give this a shot. Its cheap and easy - what have you got to lose.

I will continue to use this and update my review in a few months after I can see consistent results. Hopefully it will continue to be just as good as it is the first day.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2010 2:06:00 AM More reviews by swc868

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

The best cleanser I have ever used, and I have used quite a handful of various brands (both on-shelf and high end brands)! I have normal/combination skin type, and I live in a rather dry region (Eastern Canada). This cleanser left my skin clean and refreshed. It didn't leave a filmy sensation (which I have experienced with most "moisturizing" cleanser), nor tighten/dry up my skin leaving little tingling sensation. It is so gentle yet effective that I won't ever switch to any other cleanser again, not even Cetaphil's liquid facial cleanser (they are definitely not on the same level). Easily lathers up with a few drops of water. Although the lather remains thin no matter how hard you work on it, you only need a little bit to cleanse the entire face and neck (I usually work on it for 5 to 10 seconds). Best of all, it is inexpensive, while a single bar would last for more than 3 months! The only other comparable cleanser I have used is DHC's olive facial cleansing bar, but the price almost doubles that of this one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2010 11:12:00 AM More reviews by LittleViolet

The gentle cleansing bar is becoming hard to find, and it is my winter bar soap. I like things that suds up when you use them to remove makeup. I don't want the antibacterial version because I use Cuticura for that type of stuff.

I love how this feels when you use it, and the big bar lasts a long time (a few months, maybe even as long as six). It is a heavy soap and washes off clean but doesn't leave your skin too dry like Ivory can (that was my old face soap in the summer before I found Cuticura).

Very good cleansing product. I am not really a huge fan of Cetaphil in the pump, just because it doesn't make my face feel really clean.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2010 2:14:00 PM More reviews by RavenBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Where have I been! This soap is nothing short of miraculous. I have tried a bezillion cleansers, acne treatments, products for sensitive skin, products meant to help with rosacea, and nothing comes close to what this simple bar has done for my skin! I have super oily, acne prone skin with a healthy dose of rosacea to boot. I was beginning to think that I had run out of options, and must simply learn to live with my inflamed skin. Products meant for oily skin only seemed to produce more oil. Acne products did nothing but leave my skin red and scaly (even treatments aimed at rosacea). I was ready to pull my hair out. My dermatologist asked me if I had ever tried this soap, and I almost laughed out loud. After all, I had tried all the so called miracle treatments out there, and they did nothing to touch the problem (prescriptions didn't help either). Why would some silly bar of soap meant for dry skin help me (and I had tried enough soaps to open up my own store)!

At first I thought she was referring to that stuff that comes in a bottle, but she was very specific. She told me to get the bar meant for dry, sensitive skin called "Gentle Cleansing", and not the antibacterial bar, which I would have normally chosen. It was dirt cheap, so I thought what the heck. I added it to my cart when I was shopping at Drugstore.Com. I also took note of all the positive reviews there as well. When it came, I was a little disappointed because it smells exactly like Dove soap (almost identical). It took me a few days to get used to the smell because I never did like the smell of Dove soap, however it does fade a bit, and it is a little lighter than straight Dove.

Once I got past the scent, I was in love. The first time I used it, I had to keep staring in the mirror because my face looked so calm and white (no traces of inflammation). The part that really blew me away is when I touched my face a couple of hours later. It felt like normal skin instead of an oil slick The next day my face began to clear up considerably! I've been using this soap for a week now, and my skin is so calm, clear and beautiful looking! I'm literally amazed by this soap (it even cleared up a rash that comes and goes on my chest when I am near my period)! This soap is intended for dry skin, and yet out of all the products I've tried over the years in an attempt to normalize my super oily skin, this is the one product that finally works! Who knew! I'm stunned! Not only that, but for the first time in years, my rosacea is under control and my acne is finally going away! If this is a dream, please don't wake me! Love love love love!

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2010 4:44:00 PM More reviews by imimi

I have a love/hate relationship with this bar of soap. I love the fact that it always gets rid of my pimples fast, better than any other cleanser I have tried (i.e. origins, biore, neutrogena, olay, etc) and it's not expensive either. The negative with this product is that it leaves my face feeling tight and after washing I always get that squeaky clean feeling, which I'm not particularly fond of. For a product that claims it's for dry, sensitive skin, you would think it would be a bit more hydrating, but just because it gets rid of my pimples fast I will continue to buy it. Also, I have tried the liquid version of cetaphil and it isn't the same as the bar of soap. The liquid version of cetaphil didn't do anything for me at all.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2010 8:43:00 AM More reviews by Annushka

i rated this product a four because it doesnt leave my skin tight or overly moisturised. it gets rid of all my make up and smells nice (though i imagine that it may break some people out because of this). it lathers up but not too much and the bar is pretty chunky and isnt as slippery and moreso rinseable as the neautrogena hypo-allergenic transparent cleanser bar which i also use (that orange-y brown one, this does wonders for my face too).
it is expensive for a bar soap, but totally inexpensive if you compare it to other facial cleansers such as neutrogena or clinique. this does the same job as any other would, but i do have to use a topical cream for my pimples (im on tretinoin) or a benzoyl peroxide in the night time.
i reckon that this bar would be best for people who have great skin already. you wouldnt want to aggravate it or add oil to your face, this does the trick at balancing out. it is absolutely true when people say that less is more; i find that my pimples are less inflammed and not cystic when i cleanse with simple products and wash off my make up as soon as i get home from work or being out.
this bar really is worth it, i have tried almost every cleanser in all brands on the market, nothing has made my face fell more comfortable. recommended. would and will purchase again.