April 19, 2014 | 1592 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2010 11:12:00 AM More reviews by LittleViolet

The gentle cleansing bar is becoming hard to find, and it is my winter bar soap. I like things that suds up when you use them to remove makeup. I don't want the antibacterial version because I use Cuticura for that type of stuff.

I love how this feels when you use it, and the big bar lasts a long time (a few months, maybe even as long as six). It is a heavy soap and washes off clean but doesn't leave your skin too dry like Ivory can (that was my old face soap in the summer before I found Cuticura).

Very good cleansing product. I am not really a huge fan of Cetaphil in the pump, just because it doesn't make my face feel really clean.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2010 2:14:00 PM More reviews by RavenBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Where have I been! This soap is nothing short of miraculous. I have tried a bezillion cleansers, acne treatments, products for sensitive skin, products meant to help with rosacea, and nothing comes close to what this simple bar has done for my skin! I have super oily, acne prone skin with a healthy dose of rosacea to boot. I was beginning to think that I had run out of options, and must simply learn to live with my inflamed skin. Products meant for oily skin only seemed to produce more oil. Acne products did nothing but leave my skin red and scaly (even treatments aimed at rosacea). I was ready to pull my hair out. My dermatologist asked me if I had ever tried this soap, and I almost laughed out loud. After all, I had tried all the so called miracle treatments out there, and they did nothing to touch the problem (prescriptions didn't help either). Why would some silly bar of soap meant for dry skin help me (and I had tried enough soaps to open up my own store)!

At first I thought she was referring to that stuff that comes in a bottle, but she was very specific. She told me to get the bar meant for dry, sensitive skin called "Gentle Cleansing", and not the antibacterial bar, which I would have normally chosen. It was dirt cheap, so I thought what the heck. I added it to my cart when I was shopping at Drugstore.Com. I also took note of all the positive reviews there as well. When it came, I was a little disappointed because it smells exactly like Dove soap (almost identical). It took me a few days to get used to the smell because I never did like the smell of Dove soap, however it does fade a bit, and it is a little lighter than straight Dove.

Once I got past the scent, I was in love. The first time I used it, I had to keep staring in the mirror because my face looked so calm and white (no traces of inflammation). The part that really blew me away is when I touched my face a couple of hours later. It felt like normal skin instead of an oil slick The next day my face began to clear up considerably! I've been using this soap for a week now, and my skin is so calm, clear and beautiful looking! I'm literally amazed by this soap (it even cleared up a rash that comes and goes on my chest when I am near my period)! This soap is intended for dry skin, and yet out of all the products I've tried over the years in an attempt to normalize my super oily skin, this is the one product that finally works! Who knew! I'm stunned! Not only that, but for the first time in years, my rosacea is under control and my acne is finally going away! If this is a dream, please don't wake me! Love love love love!

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2010 4:44:00 PM More reviews by imimi

I have a love/hate relationship with this bar of soap. I love the fact that it always gets rid of my pimples fast, better than any other cleanser I have tried (i.e. origins, biore, neutrogena, olay, etc) and it's not expensive either. The negative with this product is that it leaves my face feeling tight and after washing I always get that squeaky clean feeling, which I'm not particularly fond of. For a product that claims it's for dry, sensitive skin, you would think it would be a bit more hydrating, but just because it gets rid of my pimples fast I will continue to buy it. Also, I have tried the liquid version of cetaphil and it isn't the same as the bar of soap. The liquid version of cetaphil didn't do anything for me at all.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2010 8:43:00 AM More reviews by Annushka

i rated this product a four because it doesnt leave my skin tight or overly moisturised. it gets rid of all my make up and smells nice (though i imagine that it may break some people out because of this). it lathers up but not too much and the bar is pretty chunky and isnt as slippery and moreso rinseable as the neautrogena hypo-allergenic transparent cleanser bar which i also use (that orange-y brown one, this does wonders for my face too).
it is expensive for a bar soap, but totally inexpensive if you compare it to other facial cleansers such as neutrogena or clinique. this does the same job as any other would, but i do have to use a topical cream for my pimples (im on tretinoin) or a benzoyl peroxide in the night time.
i reckon that this bar would be best for people who have great skin already. you wouldnt want to aggravate it or add oil to your face, this does the trick at balancing out. it is absolutely true when people say that less is more; i find that my pimples are less inflammed and not cystic when i cleanse with simple products and wash off my make up as soon as i get home from work or being out.
this bar really is worth it, i have tried almost every cleanser in all brands on the market, nothing has made my face fell more comfortable. recommended. would and will purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2010 1:08:00 PM More reviews by jenryan82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My dermatologist told me to switch to Cetaphil products for my eczema. I've used the lotion in a jar before and it left a film on my skin, so I was somewhat weary of Cetaphil.

This is the best cleaner for my skin. I can really see an improvement in the texture and clarity of it since switching to this bar a few weeks ago.

It is unscented and just leaves your skin feeling clean and not stripped and devoid of moisture.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2010 7:27:00 PM More reviews by spriha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

First comment ever on this board!! I always look up products on this site, so decided I should help the cause. I needed a product that takes off makeup, that is gentle around the eyes, and that does not leave my semi-combo skin dry. (I use a separate eye makeup remover). This fit the bill perfectly so far. It has been 2 days and my face is glowing. love!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2010 2:55:00 PM More reviews by annetick

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Great stuff. I have combination skin, prone to break-outs around my period, but dryness in the winter time. I need something anti-bacterial to control acne, but that is gentle enough that it doesn't dry out my skin. Sometimes I have a tendency to go crazy with too many products, but it's really best for me to keep my skin care routine simple. The fewer products I use, the fewer chances for irritations and break-outs.

This stuff fits the bill perfectly. It is effective at removing oil, makeup, and dirt, but doesn't totally strip my skin. At around $3 per bar, it works better than a lot of other, much more expensive, cleansers that I have used. Give it a try, and if doesn't work, you're only out $3!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2010 11:58:00 PM More reviews by vanillablue

My HG soap!! I have eczema and psoriasis. I bought this soap based on MUA reviews and am so happy I did. I like that I can use a soap that has a slight fragrance that doesn't make my break out in a rash. It's super gentle and does not dry out my skin. My husband is also a convert. We go through a lot of soap and buying individual bars is a bit expensive ($4.49-$4.99 depending on the store). Target sells a 3 pack for $8 and some change (they just increased the price by about a dollar).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2010 7:13:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

After using this for a while I've found that it goes into the pile of other acne washes. It breaks me out.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2010 1:28:00 PM More reviews by pixiesdust13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

HG status! I'm a perfectionist, and unfortunately when I have a skin problem I try every product under the sun to combat my "issues," which I have finally realized (after damaging my skin in the process) is not the way to go. Simple is better! I used to use Proactiv, Clinique, Bobbi Brown, you name it. Ladies, this is THE BEST cleanser I have ever used, period. I've been using this for the past six months, and I never really thought a cleanser helped keep my breakouts in check until I got too lazy to buy some more when I ran out. I used the cetaphil liquid cleanser instead- big mistake. I earned myself three huge breakouts. I finally went back on this bar, and never broke out since. So, I am 100% confident in attributing this product to preventing breakouts. Plus, if you ever travel, you don't have to worry about taking this with you anywhere, since it's liquid free! My current routine: PM: apply cetaphil liquid cleanser to dry skin, rinse offf, use cetaphil bar, apply witch hazel with cotton pad, moisturize with cetaphil cream in tub (also HG).AM: cetaphil bar, witch hazel, cetaphil lotion!
UPDATE! Still HG status! I love how you can document your experiences with Makeupalley to not only help others make informed beauty choices, but yourself if you ever think about returning to a product, you can remember what happened- good or bad! Okay, so I tried going all natural and stopped using my cetaphil bar. Result: 4 huge cysts. You would think I would learn a lesson and stick to my above routine, which works! My skin is definitely thanking me for it now with clear skin again!

UPDATE: I no longer use this bar, because my skin has been too dry lately, and this makes it unbearably tight in the dry, winter climate I live in, so I switched to Paula's Choice resist cleanser.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No