Cetaphil Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar

4.2

Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Tallowate, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate, Sodium Cocoate, PEG-20, Sodium Chloride, Masking Fragrance, Sodium Isethionate, Petrolatum, Sodium Isostearoyl Lactylate, Sucrose Cocoate, Titanium Dioxide, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, May also contain Sodium Palm Kernelate.

on 3/23/2011 3:29:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I wanted a gentle, simple, NO FRILLS facial cleanser. I'm sick of harsh, drying, cleansers, some of them even break me out. I just want to wash my skin, and have it clean and ready for exfoliation/ moisturizing etc. This does the job! You can't get much less frilly than an unscented bar of soap! It leaves my skin feeling wonderfully clean, but not overscrubbed. And it's dirt cheap. The only downsides: it's a bar. So... it's kind of hard to keep clean/store. And it did sting my eyes. A lot. When I kind of rubbed it on them, so that was my bad (I was trying to remove eye makeup, it didn't really work and stung very bad so NEVERMIND). I will stick with EVOO for my mascara/eye makeup, and this for the rest. Love it, would definitely repurchase! (The one star off is for the burning sensation).

on 3/18/2011 9:29:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

MUA, sooo disapointed with you. Seriously... worst cleanser i have EVER tried. It dosnt really cleanse, it clogs your pores like crazy, and it actually broke me out noticiably. It did make my face soft though, but thats what lotion is for? This would maybe be good for guys or girls who dont wear make-up?

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hands down, this is my favorite Cetaphil cleanser. It has a wonderful sent and leaves your skin surprisingly soft.

on 3/10/2011 1:07:00 AM

My dermatologist advised me to give this soap a try. Being the way I am, I also researched it here on MUA. Since it got good reviews, and is inexpensive, I thought why not (although I admit I was a bit leery having had trouble with other brands of soap).

I bought a bar at Wal-Mart, thinking I'd soon be repurposing it for bath use, but was surprised that the Cetaphil Gentle bar did NOT irritate my face, cause breakouts, hives, rashes, dry patches, or any of the other nasty little things that have happened with other soaps or cleansing bars.

I'm only taking off a couple of lippies because ANY sort of bar cleanser is messy to keep around. I'm spoiled, I like cleansers in bottles and jars.

I now keep a bar around all the time. It's fantastic to find an inexpensive product that really delivers-- thank you, MUA!

on 2/14/2011 10:38:00 PM

I used to buy this for my boyfriend to use on his body because his skin get irritated eaisly. I did not know that eventually I would be using it on my face and loving it. I was using purity (by philosophy) and it worked well for a while and then began breaking me out. I also switched foundations around that time, so I thought it could be the foundation, but as soon as I switched to the cetaphil bar...my skin started clearing up. I have used the liquid, but didn't like it because it never got my skin clean enough. I searched and searched reviews trying to find something that would reverse what was happening and this got great reviews, so I went out and bought it and I am very happy. Not a huge fan of bars because they are messy and hard to travel with, but spening $4 intead of $32 on a facial cleanser it pretty awesome. I use this along with olay moisturizer and my skin feel soft and my face is clearing. I love finding products on the cheap that work well! It does sting my eyes, but its not terrible and its worth the clear skin! It may not work for everyone, but it does for me. So, thanks for the reviews guys because I do read up on what I am about to put on my body.

on 2/14/2011 1:49:00 PM

Love, love, love this bar cleanser even more the liquid. Does not dry my skin out like dove. Gets my light makeup off. It does sting the eye area so I remove eye makeup separately.
This oddly calms my skin and does not make it flaky. The only negative is while it is cheap, I do go through it quickly. But with these results, I am sticking to this cleanser.

on 2/14/2011 1:46:00 PM

This irritated my skin and broke me out.

on 1/23/2011 10:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I like this cleanser alot, it works for me. I have rosacea, acne prone, and dry skin and it's very gentle. It doesn't break me out, leave my skin dry, or flare up my rosacea. It takes most of my makeup off. I definitely recommend it :)

on 1/23/2011 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I tend to prefer liquid cleansers to bars because storage is easier, but I'm so glad I gave this bar a shot. I got it for free with a big pump bottle of the Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion at Walgreens when I was doing the acne.org regimen. I've since stopped the regimen but I'm still using this bar because it's so amazing.
I really feel like it calms my skin as I'm washing, there aren't any irritating ingredients and it hasn't caused me to break out or anything. It just feels soothing on my face, none of that tight feeling after cleansing.
I do find that it doesn't remove face makeup very well, so I use a little cold cream beforehand and it works fine. Since I don't know bar soaps I'm not sure if this is expensive or not, but the same bar is only about halfway gone after a month of use so it's not a bad value for $4 or so.
If you're looking for a good basic cleanser, try this. It should be gentle enough for most skin types and the price isn't bad.

on 1/12/2011 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I am in LOVE with this soap! Wow! I have super duper sensitive, oily, acne-prone skin with rosacea and I have a very difficult time finding products that my skin will tolerate. For the past few months, my skin has been breaking out in tiny little clogged pores and closed comedones that just wouldn't go away for anything. I was using Dove unscented bar soap for the longest time. It would always work great at first and then begin to clog my pores like mad after a few days. Then I would switch back to my Aveeno ultra-calming foaming soap that would feel nice, but would make my skin feel a bit dry and rashy. I was really reluctant to use this soap, but I couldn't ignore the great reviews!

First, I LOVE the scent! I've always avoided soaps with fragrance because my skin reacts to it, but not this! It's so pleasant to use and the smell lingers for a while. It's oddly comforting to me. After washing, my skin doesn't feel dry at all, just clean and fresh. After using for only 2 days, all the clogged pores on my forehead VANISHED. Gone! I couldn't believe it! My skin is so smooth and soft now. It's so wonderful to wake up in the morning and not have to worry about piling a ton of makeup on to make my skin look "normal". Let me tell you, covering bumpy rosacea is no small feat and this incredible soap has shaved at least 15 minutes from my morning routine!
One last thing... This isn't a huge deal for me, but make sure you keep your eyes closed when washing because it burns my eyes like CRAZY. I'm not sure how it's so gentle on the skin, yet stings the eyes like acid, but I'm not put off by it.
For reference, I bought this at CVS for $4.99, which I thought was a bit pricey for a bar of soap. Then I saw it at Wal-mart for only $3.27. Grrrrrr.... I'll have to remember to buy it there from now on! Actually, I'm going to stock up on a few bars so I'll never be without!