April 24, 2014 | 926 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Photo Matte Anti-Shine

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2008 10:01:00 PM More reviews by xxpuppetxx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

If i have a spot of oil on my face,i can put it on and it mattifies the shine,but im looking for something that actually stops shine before it starts.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2008 10:24:00 PM More reviews by Misha32

As much as I'd hate to admit it, my face is somewhat of an oil factory. And because of this, I have a tendency to get shiny. I used to use Lancome's T. Controle, which is similar in concept but didn't have good lasting power. I purchased this at Sephora because the SA recommended it. It helps control my shine and stave off the shinies until midday for me. Although it doesn't completely obliterate my shininess, I still live this product. It's been a mainstay of my make-up routine for years now. I also like that it's in a plastic tube for two reasons: 1) it's more hygenic and 2) i can cut it and use every last bit of the product.

One little note, you have to apply this after moistuizer and before your foundation/tinted moisturizer/powders. And when you put it on, make sure you rub it all in. Otherwise it will dry and become white...not a good look.

Have and will continue repurchasing.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2008 1:20:00 AM More reviews by cesa11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's an okay idea, but it doesn't work with my products at all. They sit on top of it funny, and using it has become a nuisance. And for 30$ its a waste.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/13/2008 3:59:00 PM More reviews by carolinekw

The anti-shine does not last all day. I have clear combo skin, shiny in the t-zone. When applied, the product is kind of sticky, but dries to a powder. At first, when I first put it on in the morning, my skin was matte. By dinner time, my skin was glowing in the t-zone. By evening, it looked like I hadn't put it on. However, just a reapplication fixed that. FYI, the product dries out my skin a little.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/3/2008 12:49:00 AM More reviews by kroby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product did absolutely nothing for me. I had high hopes but was very let-down. Medi-Matte is the answer if you have oily skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/29/2008 7:59:00 PM More reviews by cavalierkcs

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product did NOTHING for my oily skin. I didn't like applying it because sometimes it would leave a white pasty look on my face if I didn't get it blended quite right. I am returning this, as it made no difference in how shiny my face was. I bought MAC prep+prime with SPF and that seems to be working much better.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2008 7:13:00 PM More reviews by BeautyAngel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I absolutely LOVE this product! Wow, it works pretty well under the Photo Finish Primer Light and over the foundation with tab it on T-zone after a few hours. Definitely, I will buy this again!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2008 7:23:00 PM More reviews by lianna82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I absolutely love this stuff!! I've been using it all summer in Maryland in the heat and humidity. I drive a car with no A/C, so I get sweaty just driving to work, and this stuff keeps me dry.
I have super oily skin, and I usually have to blot and touch within 2 hours of applying a powder foundation, and every 2 hours after that. However, if I use this with a powder foundation, I can put it on at 8am, and don't have to blot until about 1pm. This is very impressive! If I use liquid foundation, it takes about 3 hours for me to become oily, but I'm okay with using a powder foundation if it keeps me from being oily!
Basically, I rub it between my fingers for a few seconds (after my moisturizer has sunk in), then pat it onto my face, let it dry for 5-10 minutes and apply foundation.
It is expensive, but it's worth it to me. I work in ladies better at a department store, and we're super busy, so the more time I can stay on the floor without my glasses sliding off my nose, the more money I can make!
When it's gone, I'm getting more!!

UPDATE: if I use this with certain liquid foundations, it makes my pores stand out really big!!! This is not good... I'm still gonna use it, but with powder foundation only

rated 3 of 5 on 7/25/2008 8:27:00 PM More reviews by darcy123

This is an updated review for this product as I've given it yet another try. I have extremely oily skin and would love to use anything that could help keep my make-up from melting off my face. I really wanted to like this product as it had a rav review in Paula B's book and on this website, but the first number of times I used it, it made my liquid foundation look streaky, despite the brand I used (Clinique, Clarins, Revlon). Although it did control oil for a good amount of time, I just couldn't get my make-up to look good while using it. So, into the dead make-up drawer it went and I starting using Clinque Pore Minimizer Instant Perfecter with good results. But (isn't there always a "but ...? "), once I started using Clinique Almost Powder Foundation, I found I was getting really oily by mid-afternoon and decided to give this another try. Today I used a small amount of Anti-Shine on my T-zone, let it dry and then applied my EL Double Wear Concealer and Almost Powder foundation. Although I had a hard time blending my concealer, by mid-afternoon I had very little shine on my nose and forehead. Today was a gorgeous hot and sunny summer day and I played outside with my girls for most of the afternoon. So, the morale of this story? Use this sparingly only where you really need it, let it dry well and hope for the best! :) I'm still on the fence about re-purchasing this although I am happy that I might actually finish the tube as it was expensive ($29 CAD). It is such a fickle product to use. I'm still on hunt for something that controls shine as well as this but is as easy to use as Pore Minimizer.
UPDATE: OK, the love affair is over ... again. I remember why I stopped using this: I just can't even get any make-up (liquid or powder) to look good on top of this. I even tried using a bit of Pore Minimizer to no avail. I just ended up looking cakey. I gave Anti-Shine several good tries and now into the garbage it goes. Too bad.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2008 1:29:00 PM More reviews by footballqueen07

After MAC's Matte in a tube stopped working for me, I turned to this after reading reviews on MUA.... and I like it. It does a much better job at controlling shine than Matte did, and stays a bit longer. I have very oily skin in the summer, and work at a demanding retail job. Too bad it's so pricey though :( I would say for the price it doesn't deliver as well as it could.