i have been a faithful user of seche vite for years, but was frustrated by how quickly it chipped. this review will mostly be a comparison of the 2 products. i have the newer packaging of the mega shine - mirror shine.
1. drying time: seche vite > mega shine. nothing beats how quickly the seche vite top coat dries. the mega shine does take just a bit longer, but much faster than normal nail polish on its own.
2. shine: seche vite > mega shine. seche vite gives such a glossy finish...i think it is one of its highest qualities. the mega shine is pretty dull and not as smooth as the seche vite. the whole "mirror shine" aspect is definitely lacking.
3. texture: mega shine > seche vite. the mega shine is much thinner in terms of consistency, which makes it much easier to spread over the nail.
4. scent: mega shine > seche vite. i have no idea why the seche vite smells so strong. the mega shine doesnt smell good by any means, but it is typical for nail polish and not so severely offensive as seche vite.
5. packaging: mega shine > seche vite. i LOVE the wide, flat brush that the mega shine comes with. i can coat my entire nail w/2 swipes.
6. price: mega shine = seche vite. i'm a little confused here since seche vite is supposed to be "high end" and sally hansen drugstore, but they are both $9 wherever i go. sure, there are always coupons for sally hansen in the sunday paper, but ulta also has sales on seche vite from time to time. neither top coat has the clear advantage here.
7. durability: mega shine >>> seche vite. when i use seche vite, my polish chips probably starting the 3rd day...with weird shrinkage towards the tips of my nails on the first day. i have had the mega shine last on my nails for a full week without ANY chipping (and i am a notorious cuticle picker). i don't know about 10 days, but i have has my polish last a full week.
i know that the seche vite gets incredibly thick and goopy once it passes the halfway mark, but i don't know if this is true of the sally hansen just yet. i've used this for about 5-6 manicures so far, but i'm not at the halfway point. it's something to consider cuz previous reviewers have mentioned it.
bottom line: mega shine > seche vite.
I have gone through about 3 or 4 bottles of this and I absolutely love this top coat. I was using the Seche Vete or however you spell it and I stopped using it once I found out about how toxic it is and I have been using this ever since. This is relatively cheap but it works perfectly as a top coat. I have not found anything else that makes your nails anywhere near as shiny as this does and it makes your nails dry to the touch in about two minutes or so but you still need to wait about five to ten for them to be really dry so the "dry in 60 seconds" claim is a bit of a let down because they still do that thing where the polish is dry but smushed if you do anything before they are really dry if that makes any sense. You do have to reapply about once every four or five days because the ends get somewhat dull after awhile and lose that really mirror finish. Also, the chrome coating on the bottle chips off sometimes so that is just something to keep in mind because it gets everywhere after awhile. Overall the actual nail polish itself is ridiculously shiny and it dries quickly. Also, I am someone who paints there nails like every three or four days because I get tired of seeing the same color so I do my nails a lot and it still takes me forever to go through a bottle of this because you really only need one thin coat and you are good to go. A must-have in my book.
This is my absolute favorite top coat. It goes on without streaking my polish and dries super quick. My nails look like I have had a professional manicure/pedicure whenever I use this. To top it off, I found my bottle in the Dollar Store! My only complaint is that I can't see through the bottle and have no idea how much more is left.
I swear by this product. It gives natural nail manicures the kind of shine you get with artificial nails. It lasts, maybe not 10 days, but at least 5 days before it starts chipping. Just don't apply too thickly. Oh, and the bottle gets a little crusty at the opening after a couple of uses - when this happens be careful not to get the crust onto your manicure. But the biggest plus: it really does dry in less than 5 minutes. I mean you can go to sleep right after with little to no issue, that's how dry it gets!
Price is good and it is available in the grocery stores. I agree with the other reviewers who said they don't like that the bottle is opaque and the brush is white...we can't see the product so we have to assume how much is on the brush and how much is left in the bottle.
Quality is another downside to this product. It dries quickly yes so I have never gotten sheet marks or dents and I can get on with my life quickly. The shine is okay but I have used a shinier polish (Beauty Secrets, which is what I intend to go back to if I am not satisfied after trying Poshe next) The Sally Hansen Mega Shine makes my polish chip easily and is very brittle so on day two or three, my polish begins peeling in one single layer like paint off a wall. I would not buy this again.
I'm really surprised with the low ratings of this top coat. After several 'manies', I have come to the conclusion that this is the best top coat for me. I originally have been using SH's Insta dry anti-chip top coat for years and loved its performance. I didn't think I would find anything else that would beat it. This mega-shine top coat, (an acciental purchase) keeps my nail colour as shiny through at least 5 days without chipping! My nail polish looks as good on day 4 as it did within day 1. I normally get antsy after 3/4 days of nail polish and want to change, but this top coat keeps my mani so fresh looking each passing day that I get lasy to remove. Only until they have chipped like crazy that I will remove it, which will be at least 6+ days after the mani. Anyways, overall I will rebuy this. It has great shine, seals polish in like a rock and is long-wearing. (In Canada it's about 8 bucks at Shoppers or less at Walmart.)
This is my second bottle as I totally dig this stuff. It dries polish fast and gives a mirror-like shine. However, like what previous reviewers had mentioned, the application is tricky. Apply too much and you get a thick layer atop your manicure when dried. If you apply too little, streaks can be very obvious on light polishes. Also, this doesn't make your manicure last longer as I see tip wear around the second day. I have tried Seche but it didn't work for me and I hated how fast it thickened. I have another Poshe top coat unused though, if that works better I will probably not repurchase.
After trying Poshe, SV, Out the Door and Essie 3 way glaze, this has become my HG topcoat, Fast drying, and extremely shiny, while applying easy. My only complaint is that it does not cooperate at all with Zoya polishes-I get massive shrinkage around the cuticles, sides of nails and tips when I use it, so opt for the Insta-Dri for Zoya only. I do wish the bottle was see-thru just so getting the right amount on the brush would be easier, and to know when you are running low
I cannot believe the bad reviews I have read about this product! If used properly it is wonderful! The product says that you can use while nails are still wet, but I do suggest that you wait until fully dry. Also it does not last the full 10 days as it suggests. But this polish gives a beautiful mirror shine top coat, a very professional looking finish. People are always asking where I got my nails done...at home!
Don't waste your money on this product. It smeared my polish, took ages to dry, cost as much as seche vite. Wish I could give it no lippies.