August 27, 2014 | 1056 users online

Treatments (Face) - Elizabeth Arden - Eight Hour Cream

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2012 2:56:00 AM More reviews by decoydream

I've been hearing about this product so much over the years, i just had to get it!

When someone described it as vaseline on steroids, they were quite right. I've had it for a few days and already, i've found several uses for it. I have really terrible eczema that flares up all the time, and right now my hands and literally flaking because they are so dry and itchy. I've tried all the creams but none of them seemed to work - i'd have to wake up several times during the night to moisterise! But i put on a layer of this on my hands before sleeping and they were much softer and hydrated by the time i woke up. However, i used this on my neck (which is also prone to really bad bouts of eczema) and it got really itchy and red/bumpy so be careful about where you put it!

I also use this on my lips and on dry patches on my face (no problems with breakouts or pore blockage). While the cream/gel/ointment is quite thick, its not disgustingly so if you use it sparingly.

Another thing that seems to put a lot of people off is the scent. It smells a bit medicinal - a little bit herbal and a bit like the smell of band aids. It doesn't faze me too much though and the scent does fade eventually.

I really think this is worth getting if you feel like vaseline doesn't do the job for you - this is more intensive, soaks into the skin a lot better and the results are much faster!

EDIT: bumped this up to 5 lippies because it healed my face after using a particular product that broke me out into a dry, painful red rash on my face. After a shower when my face was still damp, I warmed a pea sized amount in my hands then pressed it into my skin. Did the for 2-3 nights then my face was back to normal! Hooray!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2012 12:39:00 PM More reviews by miamiamaria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I wrote a review for the original one (under a wrong topic, but whatever) and the bottom line was- I loved it.

However, what's up with the fragrance free one? It just isn't as sticky and thus effective. I don't like it! It doesn't work for anything- chapped lips, nicks on skin. It just sits on the skin for like a minute or two and then I feel the need to reapply which was not the case with the original one.

I regret buying the fragrance free version.

Edit- the rating is for the original version of the cream.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2012 12:35:00 PM More reviews by lushorchid

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

For reference: I have combo/dry sensitive clog prone skin.
I'm constantly on the hunt for basic rich moisturizing treatments that don't clog my skin. After finishing embryolisse, I finally gave in and have been trying eight hour cream the past month.
The product comes in a tube, and is the texture of soft thick honey translucent vaseline (it's 58% petrolatum). The herbal scent reminds me of weleda everon balm, not a hint of sweet or floral just slightly bitter smelling medicinal but fades relatively soon after application. I use around my eyes and on lips overnight and wake up with moisturized skin. I'll finish the tube, I'm not sure I'll repurchase because I've found other similar products more effective. For lanolin based products: lanisoh (unscented, thicker balm texture) and bag balm (best bang for buck, slight lanolin scent, similar texture) work as well if not better and I can always mix in a bit of my standby, vaseline. I don't find the extra ingredients noticeably effective enough to justify repurchasing (Mineral Oil, Tocopherol, BHT, Salicylic Acid, Ricinus Communis Seed Oil (Castor), Vegetable Oil, Zea Mays Oil (Corn)... etc. (preservatives)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2012 7:06:00 PM More reviews by blooiejagwa

Omg i love this!!!! The only thing better than this that I've found is Lansinoh Lanolin (which is very thick and doesn't contain salicylic acid, so it clogs pores sometimes--but it is the best treatment for dry lips & hands). Great for my face and hands!! I like this as a mask- this on top of a damp face that has serum of choice and a cheap moisturizer like Nivea. Leave on for 20 min or a couple of hours. Then wipe off, cleanse, and apply usual face cream (Guinot for me). It really works as a mask like this. Absorbs better than Aquaphor or Vaseline, moisturizes, softens, lovely texture, loooooove it. Like I said, good treatment product, not necessarily a moisturizer on its own. I have the unscented one, it smells nasty--like rancid cooking oil.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2012 11:09:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

I've known about this for years and never tried it. So many women have used this since 1930 and keep it in their kit or makeup bag. There aren't many products that hold the test of time these days, but this does. It now comes in unscented, but I actually like the retro scent. It makes me feel good to know it's the same thing that women have used for generations. Like the glamorous old Hollywood ladies, or your grandma! I tend to have dry to very dry skin, and this has been a lifesaver. You can use it anywhere you have bumps, bruises, scrapes, or dry patches. It's a lip balm and also a cuticle balm. It works by soothing and also protecting the top layer of skin. Practically a miracle worker in a tube. Everyone and their mother should try it at least once. P.S. It's $7.99- $10 at TJ Maxx.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/16/2012 5:50:00 PM More reviews by sosu89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Extremely expensive product! I used it for dry lips, its a really intensive moisturiser I used it on my cracked heels and it worked amazingly! I wouldn't use it on my face as I think it would be way to oily. The smell doesn't bother me. Overall I won't be buying again at $40 a bottle it's definitely not worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2012 10:00:00 AM More reviews by hellokittybrock

My new HG product. I cant think of any other HG product of mine. It is that super. I have very very very dry lips. They peel like nobody's business. Mac lipstick make them peel. Not to even mention about frosted and matte textures. They kill. But 8 hr cream is a god send. I apply it at night. I apply it after brushing my teeth and I blot off the excess. I no longer have dry lips problem. It is such a miracle.

* edit- a good fren of mine religiously applied this on his eczema areas and it really does help. I wanna try this on my face when I go on a long haul flight :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2012 8:53:00 AM More reviews by alousek

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this cream at the airport in winter when travelling I knew it from magazines and always wanted to try - because I felt like my skin needed some special care and moisture after the flights and also in the winter here in Europe. And I chose the right product for me. Since then I have been using it when I felt that my skin needed it, always at night almost every day in cold weather. In summer I do still sometimes use it, when I feel that my skin is a bit dryer. I am not sure about a daily usage unless you are super dry. Also works well for the lips and the dry nose area.
Before I used to have the Avene cold cream for the special care in cold weather, but this is much nicer when being applied and it soaks in easier. It has replaced my Cold cream entirely.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2012 6:00:00 PM More reviews by lizqt1981

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Retin-Amicro 0.04% left areas aroung my mouth and nose very irritated and grossly peeling. I tried yube cream, cervae, natural oils moisturizers with ceramides etc etc. Finally found this on my bedroom bookshelf forgotten months ago and put it on before bed. Always thought of it as just vaseline but this is something more and dont know what it is but Next morning my skin was soft plump no peeling, relaxed without the itching or burning. Finally something that will help with irritation from starting a retinoids. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2012 5:45:00 PM More reviews by cmacintyre100

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love this product - can be used for anything. I tend to use it in the evening as it is quite heavy and needs time to soak into skin. I especially use this in the dry winter months. Great on dry lips, hands, feet, elbows - I have even occasionally used it on super dry patches on my face. Bottle goes a very long way as you only need a small amount. If I ever run out, I will repurchase again.