Estee Lauder Gentle Eye Makeup Remover

2.8

Water, Peg-32, Butylene Glycol, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Peg-6, Trisodium Edta, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben

on 3/25/2011 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Hmmm, I was going to review this positively until I read the other members' complaints and then I realized....yeah, it is kinda crappy. They're right.

I'm torn now. I've been using this for a long time. I used to watch my grandmother and my mom use it, so for me it was one of those "staple" products that I didn't think twice about owning. I've never been one to hunt around for eye makeup removers, because I was younger and wasn't concerned about being gentle with my eyes. Usually I've just depended on my regular face wash to get the job done.

I use this now and then when I have stubborn products on my eyes that won't rinse off, like if I went out for the night with dramatic eye makeup on. I would never have thought to complain about it, but I saw what other people were saying and yes, I agree with them.... it doesn't work quickly. You have to either soak a cotton pad with it and let it sit on your eye for 10-20 seconds and then remove, or you may even feel tempted to rub your eyes while using it (eek!! don't ever do that). And, like others, I have also had the occasional moment when it got in my eyes and burned. But I've always blamed myself for that. I never thought to complain that the formula might be too harsh for the eye area. (major FAIL!!)

Now that I think about it, this really isn't anything to rave about. I'm sure being in the 21st century, there are much better options out there for us now. And besides, I've got my DHC Deep Cleansing Oil and Bioderma Sensibio H2O to depend on for thorough makeup removal.

So, while I came here intending to give it 4 lippies, I think I'll leave it with only 2. It's not a fool-proof, easy product that we can depend on, so I say don't waste your money. Find something that works quickly and efficiently, as our products should.

on 3/17/2011 1:41:00 AM

i really like this remover cuz it's not oily and so gentle it doesnt irritate my eyes at all like some of the one i tried. doesnt leave my skin dry it's like water. it does remove waterproof makeup although it needs to be wipe a few times but it's so gentle, luv it!

on 3/2/2011 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This stuff takes a few swipes but gets the job done. I put a soaked pad over my lashes and then swipe, but it usually takes me three swipes to get it off. It's pretty good for spot removal with a q-tip if you mess up though. I like this, but I wouldn't buy again because I prefer MAC's remover and I can get it for about the same price.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I love this stuff! I don't wear a lot of makeup a lot, but when I do, I use this for the eye makeup! It feels clean, it doesn't bother my eyes, it's easy to get out of the bottle, and overall it's just wonderful. If you want waterproof remover, this isn't what you're looking for, but for a basic eye makeup remover, it's wonderful!

on 1/23/2011 4:49:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Thankfully, I only got a sample bottle of this eye make-up remover. I wear waterproof Japanese mascara and it removes almost none of it. Even extra-virgin olive oil performs better than this make-up remover. This make-up remover burns and blurs my eyes, so those with sensitive skin/eyes should be cautious. It is just not an effective make-up remover and I can't believe anyone would pay full-price for this.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really like this eye makeup remover. I didn't have the red-eye issue that many other reviewers had. It always removed even the most difficult mascara without much rubbing. If it was cheaper, I would purchase it again, but due to the price only I will not purchase it again. I use the L'Oreal eye makeup remover found in drugstores for $5, which does almost just as well for a fraction of the price.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love this makeup remover!! I don't understand why it get such low reviews... It works amazingly on me. I like how it isn't one of those oily makeup removers, like Lancome's Bi-Facil, so it doesn't leave that oily residue on my eyelids. However, when I first got it, it was screwed on super tight! It took forever and some hot water to get it off. But it was totally worth it, because this makeup remover is AWESOME. It's the best one I've ever used.

on 12/29/2010 2:15:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I dont like this product. It makes my eyes very red and the burn terribly. I love the Mary Kay eye make up remover. Works very well.

on 12/29/2010 1:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I wonder why it claims to be a "gentle" makeup remover when it's not. I soaked a cotton ball and swiped it over my eyes. Hardly any makeup was removed. I then held it on a little bit longer, but both my eyelids and actual eyes started to turn red. My eyes started watering and getting very red and irritated. This happened every time I used this product. To top it all off, it still wouldn't get all of my makeup off. I only recommend this if you wear minimal eye makeup and enjoy carrying a bottle of eyedrops around with you to relieve the inevitable stinging.

on 12/28/2010 12:19:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I got this as part of a set. It does remove eye makeup reasonably well but no better than my favourite Body Shop eyemakup remover - the Cammomile one for sensitive eyes. The key with removing any eyemakeup is to soak a cotton pad and hold it on your eyes to let the solution dissolve whatever eyemakeup you are wearing. It's not oily which is great if you are not wearing waterproof mascara but I don't think it would cut through a waterproof.