MAC Select SPF 15 Foundation

3.1

Active Ingredient:Octyl Methoxycinnamate Water (Aqua Purificata) Purified, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Octyl Methoxycinnamate, Talc, Butylene Glycol, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polydecene, Glyceryl Dilaurate, Tea-Isostearate, Tea-Stearate, Caprylyl Glycol, Kaolin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Retinyl Palmitate, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Pantethine, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Steareth-21, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Steareth-2, Perfluoropolymethylisopropyl Ether, Stearyl Alcohol, BHT, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben may contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Chromium Oxide Greens

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Have been using this foundation for a few weeks... and ive been loving it!
I have the colour in NC37 which matches my darkish yellow asian skin : )
I also have normal - dry skin

^ and the staff in the mac counter are so friendly! they helped me pick the right colour and even provided me a free face (only) makeover!

I use my MAC 188 brush to blend the foundation and it gives an airbrush finish

Foundation seems to be medium - sheer coverage

PROS
Its water based, which feels thin and NOT cakey! :)
Its also not 100% matte, so looks natural- perfect for everyday
Photographs nicely - Wore this to my school formal occasion and my face did not look pale!
No breakouts
Can be mixed with moisturizer to make it into tinted moisturizer
Packaging is amazing! - many people say they had to buy a pump separately but when i bought the foundation they gave me a free pump hhmm...
has spf
long lasting- with moisturizer & primer I had this on for 7 hours one night (and i was dancing heh)

CONS
NONE!

on 5/26/2011 12:27:00 AM

I was seeking a medium-coverage, matte finish liquid foundation that's good for oily skin, and was directed to this product by a MAC artist. She couldn't decide if I was an NC or NW tone (story of my life!), but she settled on NW25. The colour match seemed to be good enough, so I went with it.

Overall, I'm unimpressed with this foundation. I find that the coverage never lasts, even with a primer, and that it slips around on my skin throughout the day. I'm left with patches or either oily or dry skin. It's almost too watery for me, if that makes any sense? (It is a water-based foundation, but this is too much!) On the plus, the finish is definitely matte and stayed that way in the spots where my makeup didn't move. It also didn't oxidize on me, which is a problem I often have with liquid foundations. To my knowledge, it hasn't caused any breakouts (I've had a few, but feel pretty confident that this was the evil-doing of a different product).

To be sure, one day I decided to do half of my face in MAC Select and the other half in MAC Studio Fix. I literally split my face down my forehead, nose and chin into two halves, followed my normal routine on both halves (moisturizer, primer, concealer, etc...), but used the two different foundation products. By the day's end, the Studio Fix had steamrolled the Select competition. Two friends and my hubby also weighed in with their opinions (who doesn't love a science experiment, after all?!) and they unanimously preferred the Studio Fix side. It certainly looked more natural and even, whereas the Select was wearing thin and patchy.

Not a repurchase for me!

This stuff slid off my face like an oil spill. After a week of wearing it I started breaking out in purple acne bumps that scarred. I am so mad I used this crap. After using it before I went to Mac to return, I asked the sa what she thought and she said it looked horrible. It also turned a horrible Orange color 4 hours after wearing. Buyer beware if you have oily skin.

on 5/22/2011 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

It's a good foundation.
The bad point is that it haven't an applicator, exactly like Colourstay by Revlon.
It leaves the face smooth and luminous.
It has medium coverage and it doesn't look like a mask when i apply it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

been using for a long time i really like it

on 5/21/2011 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I am matching NC25 perfectly so that is a plus for me, it is so difficult to find the right shade. I also like the bottle, similar to Revlon Colorstay but I like the silky top. Anyways, I tried it and I did not like it. I only love the texture when applied, seems so nice and ``soft`` and feels on very natural (at least for the first few hours) But the coverage is just light to medium. For me it is not enough, I need something to cover my blemishes and scars and this did not do it. Also, after using this, I am getting breakouts, it doesnt happen if I use Revlon Foundations or LM.
UPDATE: I gave a 2nd try as I wanted lighter coverage for summer and I like the soft texture of this foundation.. huge mistake. This morning I woke up with huge zit right on my cheek.

on 4/30/2011 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

acne-prone/combination skin. NC25. asian.

PROS
decent skin match
water-based
decent coverage
has SPF
can be layered
bottle lasts for a year

CONS
bottle packaging
slightly heavy feel
broke me out sometimes
watery

My first ever MAC foundation was this one. Throughout the years, I have developed a love-and-hate relationship with it.

I live in a dry climate and I find that some dry spots can be accentuated even more by this foundation. Also, if you tend to be oily like me, you would definitely have to blot throughout the day if you wear it! One summer, it was great for days I needed to switch from TM for extra coverage. The next summer though, it sort of broke me out even more. I already had breakouts and I needed extra coverage; so I used it almost everyday, thinking that would be fine, since it's water-based, etc. I was wrong, clearly.

I find that this foundation works best for me during fall/spring. Winter can make it too drying whereas summer can melt it off and break me out. The coverage is pretty good. You can wear it light if you put on very little; you can layer it for more coverage. It matches my skin pretty well as well.

on 4/29/2011 2:50:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have trouble finding any redeeming quality in this foundation. I told the MA I was wanted light coverage and something moisturizing and this is what she produced.
PROS
- If you purchase the pump, the packaging is very nice
CONS
- Despite being matched to NW15 this product is way to yellow for my skin tone and oxidizes to a horrible shade of orange during the day
- It seemed to sit on my skin rather than set and blend in, which in turn highlighted pores and any dry patches
- It faded within a couple hours to an inconsistent patchy mess
- It has a horrible plastic smell that lingers for hours
- It doesn't come with a pump, and IMHO you shouldn't need to pay for additional packaging in mid to high end products
Overall, this is hands down the worst foundation I've ever used. I kept trying to like it by testing it out with different primers or setting powders and using a different application technique but despite my efforts it always looked and felt nasty on my skin. If I could give it zero lippies, I would.

on 4/19/2011 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I usually do not like liquid foundation, but occasionally I find myself needing a little more coverage then I get with a tinted moisturizer, and need more moisture the i get with a powder foundation. So, I headed over to MAC. I bought this in nw15, and it is an absolute perfect match to my skin, and does not oxidize at all on me. It is light but buildable coverage. I like the way it looks on my skin, for the first few hours. The problem is I use a very good primer, and I set this with powder and I find it builds up on the sides of my nose. I have to blot every few hours. I sometimes get oily in the t-zone, but not THAT oily. I cannot consider that a big complaint though because most light coverage foundations have these effects. For the small amount of time I use it liquid foundation, maybe 1 or a max of 3 days a week, I can deal with this.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I got matched at my MAC counter to NC44. The MA applied it and it looked amazing so I bought it. I'm glad she helped me because I would have never chosen a shade like that for myself because it looks too orange in the bottle. It is a perfect match. It makes my skin look smooth and flawless. I use Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Medium Dark over it, then the one in Dark as a bronzer. Since I have bought these products, my skin has looked amazing. I have been receiving compliments. My acne has also slowed down. I could not be happier unless my skin were to magically clear up COMPLETELY! My only complaint is that it would be easier to use if it had a pump.