September 16, 2014 | 1480 users online

Concealers - Kevyn Aucoin - The Sensual Skin Enhancer

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2011 7:00:00 PM More reviews by bluebutterfly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this way back in 2005 and I tried it and didn't like it and it sat in a drawer. I'd pull it out every so often and use it as a concealer and it was okay. And then the other day, after I applied my sunscreen, I used my Sephora mineral foundation brush, lightly dipped it into the jar and then placed the brush where I wanted the most coverage, and then I buffed this stuff all over my face. Voila, perfect flawless coverage.
Look, this is not rocket science. I've been reading some of the reviews and OMG, it's like reading a chem lab experiment with the way some people apply this stuff. "First I use SX01, SX02, SX03, SX04 and I warm it up over a bunsen burner then I apply a thin layer of electro-plated gold serum to cover my pores and then I face north and make a small offering to the Gods...."
Seriously, it's a heavily pigmented foundation. Thin it out however it works for you. But definitely give it a chance. And it shouldn't take you an hour to apply this stuff. It's a foundation, not a ritual. Now that I know a little more of what I'm doing this stuff gives the best coverage, like real skin only better.

125 out of 131 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/26/2011 1:52:00 AM More reviews by Skitzo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

i ordered this off their dermstore website without really being sure as to which shade i matched. since im medium with strong yellow undertones,i decided to get sx 8 and sx 11. lucky for me,sx8 was a perfect match and sx11 was my cousin's shade. we initially struggled with application techniques and dint quite get it right. i tried using my hand,brush,blender sponge,nothing worked the way i wanted it to. i tend to have dry-oily skin and hence had to moisturize a lot before applying to make it look not caky only to have it pool around my pores in an hour. not pretty. and then on somebodies recommendation,i tried mixing my h20 gel moisturizer with it. nu-uh. shouldve never done that. and then,by a complete total accident,i found the perfect base. aloe vera gel!! the pure gel with almost no additives is amazing. i use the green leaf one. its 98% pure and has a thick gel consistency. i use my concealer brush to pick up about a drop of the gel and mix it in with about a rice grain worth of my sse. say,sse to gel ratio would be 1:4. mixes really well and you have a perfect tinted moisturizer for oily skin with huge pores. it covers all my acne marks except the really dark ones. once this layer dries,i take very very little sse on my finger tips and just tap onto the very obvious scars. voila,perfect skin. this works really well for me and my cousin. she has very dry skin and moisturizes before application. i can see the tiny pot lasting us ages with this stuff. will definitely recommend!

for reference,i'm shade nc 35-40 ish in mac. and my cousin is nc 45ish(both with strong yellow undertones). sx 8 and sx11 match us pretty well.

EDIT - I'v been using this for a while now and though it still is the best foundation/concealer iv ever owned,i found that it doesnt really work on active cystic breakouts. its great for covering even really blah scars and red spots and works on even bumpy(lol) zits but not on cystic acne. it tends to exacerbate flakiness around the pimple and doesnt cover very well. i use a more moisturizing concealer for that.
but if you dont have any dry spots,this will be perfect for you.

18 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2011 11:32:00 PM More reviews by oshun

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've used other foundations, always looking for something better, but keep coming back to this....THERE IS NOTHING BETTER. Trust. A tiny bit with MAC Fix + with foundation brush and the look is flawless. Set with a little mineral powder from MAC and you are good to go. If you need a little more around eye area, do it but let the first round settle you may not even need it. I hope they never stop selling this stuff. It truly is the best.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2011 12:21:00 PM More reviews by laqueron1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

If I could merit paying $40 bucks for this product...I would. It covers everything with just one tap. No large amounts needed. Which means one little pot will last you a very long time ...and not only that. Cost per wear (if this is the only concealer you use) will definitely be less than a dollar a day ....much much less. This covers, undereye circles, lid darkness, spots...you name it, it does it. I think dermablend coverage but a much more luxurious feel (I have had Dermablend before...so trust me...this is a little bit creamier). But please, please, PLEASE, set with a powder. For reference, I use shade SX11 and I am a MAC NC42, Bobbi Brown #5 Honey, Guerlain #23.

20 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2011 8:49:00 PM More reviews by catnap

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm never . Ever . Never without a concealer . I have been through becca, Mac, prescriptive, touché éclat, blah blah blah .. This is a holy grail of a concealer . Doesn't break me out . Lightens my undereye shadows, the dark purple-ish area around the nose and under my chin, covers a few zits . the best part is the transparency as praised in others' reviews, I.e., your skin, but sensually and beautifully enhanced . Very light hands and little product is required .

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2011 8:45:00 PM More reviews by wonderdreamz

What a waste of money -_-

I was excited to get this because of the reviews on makeupalley but honestly, this is way too drying and its SUPER pigmented. Therefore its too pigmented that it looks yellowish green which i don't like. Also, its super expensive. i mean kevyn aucoin you were an awesome person but this product is a no no.

PROS:
-Cute pot

CONS:
-Not enough coverage
-Drying
-color is too yellowish green

Will not repurchase and will not recommend

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2011 11:27:00 AM More reviews by chinablaq

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this! Im a NC50 for reference and I use SX13 as a concealer for my under eye area, SX14 mixed with Mac's F&B mixing medium, and SX15 as a contour. Its so creamy, coverage is great, and it blends like a dream! Great stuff!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2011 5:24:00 PM More reviews by sjh0730

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is amazing at covering my eye circles, it's the only concealer that I have ever owned to cover them. I like to mix it with moisturizer before applying to any acne. If I am having a really bad skin day, I often mix a little into my liquid, medium coverage foundation to give the coverage a boost. For what I paid, I think it's well worth it. I've had the pot for almost two years and have just made a dent into it. I don't like the pot, as I don't like sticking my fingers into it; or any pot for that matter. I typically use a small spatula or stick to get some out and then work with it from there. This is by far my favorite concealer.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/4/2011 8:51:00 AM More reviews by ezk80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I really hate this. Definitely the worst product I have ever used. Don't buy it without trying. I guess it only works with extremely perfect skin.It exaggerates all possible problems of your skin. I have slightly dry skin and I used it over rich moistrizer, primer etc. and nothing worked.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2010 7:37:00 AM More reviews by eurodivas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I guess the saying is true - there is always a clam after a storm. I was so disappointed and in a panic after Prescriptives went out of business as many of my favorite products were gone including my beloved flawless skin concealer. After having read many good reviews about this item, I decided to give it a try. The only place in Europe where I could find this was online in Ireland and it was not cheap (45 Euro) but I had to have it.

This is one of the best concealing product I have ever had the pleasure of using. When I do not feel like applying foundation to my entire face when running around the neighborhood just doing shipping etc, I apply this liberally on areas needing concealing and it always looks great. I never go outside without full foundation but I can get away with only this. The products conceals my acne scares, moles, hyper-pigmentation etc with no buildup. I apply with my fingers, only a tiny amount is necessary and the finish is always flawless.

VERY IMPORTANT - The Sensual Skin Enhancer should be applied in extremely small quantities using a tap and roll method with the fingers. It is easy to overdose on this so do spend a bit of time getting to know the dosage amount in the beginning. If you apply the same amount as with other concealers, you will have problems with blending or excess product on the skin causing you to think that this is a bad product. I have been using the same little jar every day now since over 6 months and I can barely see a dent in the pot.

I am a MAC NC45 and I use the color SX13. This product is an item which will enhance any make up collection. I have not come across a product with the same consistency or ability to multi task like this one. I highly recommend it and especially to women of color as a result of our problems with hyper-pigmentation. I need to add that I do suffer from acne breakouts and this product has not caused any breakouts or irritation.

42 out of 45 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No