November 24, 2014 | 1430 users online

Concealers - Kevyn Aucoin - The Sensual Skin Enhancer

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2012 5:23:00 PM More reviews by jillbarry

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is really a great product and a little goes a long way. It took me a few tries to get it to blend in, but once I figured out a technique that worked it was a breeze. (Use a combo of a make up sponge and a foundation brush). I have tried all kinds of foundations and concealers and none work as well as this (they are all relegated to reject bin under the sink).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2012 11:55:00 AM More reviews by babieedoll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

First I'm around an NC25-30 with warml undertones. I got this in shade #7. This shade is sort of a light yellow undertone shade. It probably leans slightly more to an NC25. My face is somewhere between nc25- 30. But the shade matches my neck/chest area right on.

I bought this to use as a concealer for under my eyes. So I picked a shade that was supposed to be one shade lighter than my skin tone. This matches my neck/chest area perfectly. (My face is 1/2 to 1 shade darker than my neck). But I bought this for concealing average dark circles. This does brighten the eye area but it creases and looks too heavy. Frankly no matter how little I used or how I applied it: with a beauty blender, fingers (press and roll) or any other way I tried it just didn't work for me. Its not terrible sheered out with a moisturizer or damp sponge as foundation but I don't use foundation. I prefer LM tinted moisturizer if I'm going to use a base. I guess it just didn't work out for me.
-Contains mineral oil
-Felt too heavy on the skin no matter if sheered etc.
-Creased under eyes even when set with powder.
-Made pores appear noticeable when they usually aren't.
Somethings may work wonders for others but for some it just doesn't work as well. Thank goodness for returns :)

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2012 9:27:00 AM More reviews by Absalom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have this in SX-06 and SX-05 and am NC20-25
This has been and still is HG after all these years!

KA SSE has been talked about, became a sensation, went to Sephora, got kicked out, sold at bargain basement but has regained popularity over and over again through many lifetimes of most MUAers.

This product does what it is supposed to do but with panache and finesse. It's full on pigment and not for those who want sheered out, easy to smear on type of product. SSE will weed the impatient and land in the hands and hearts of those who will endure the learning curve of this precious product of it's dear creator, the one and only Mr. Kevyn Aucoin himself! lol.

I use it as concealer on most occasions and apply it with Laura Mercier SC brush. Any brush with a fine tip will do. I dot the teeniest bit on the blemish and pat it in. The heat from the finger and patting will fuse it to skin.

I also use it for the under eyes by adding a bit of Clarins instant light to brighten, apply and set it with LaMer loose powder. Works like a charm!

SSE is a foundation and a brilliant one, provided that you apply it properly. It just takes patience and practice. No real tricks.

I will never be without this until technology and science create a new formula that will revolutionize base makeup as KA SSE has in bringing pro level pigment to the masses! This stuff is the real deal.

27 out of 32 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2011 7:00:00 PM More reviews by bluebutterfly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this way back in 2005 and I tried it and didn't like it and it sat in a drawer. I'd pull it out every so often and use it as a concealer and it was okay. And then the other day, after I applied my sunscreen, I used my Sephora mineral foundation brush, lightly dipped it into the jar and then placed the brush where I wanted the most coverage, and then I buffed this stuff all over my face. Voila, perfect flawless coverage.
Look, this is not rocket science. I've been reading some of the reviews and OMG, it's like reading a chem lab experiment with the way some people apply this stuff. "First I use SX01, SX02, SX03, SX04 and I warm it up over a bunsen burner then I apply a thin layer of electro-plated gold serum to cover my pores and then I face north and make a small offering to the Gods...."
Seriously, it's a heavily pigmented foundation. Thin it out however it works for you. But definitely give it a chance. And it shouldn't take you an hour to apply this stuff. It's a foundation, not a ritual. Now that I know a little more of what I'm doing this stuff gives the best coverage, like real skin only better.

127 out of 133 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/26/2011 1:52:00 AM More reviews by Skitzo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

i ordered this off their dermstore website without really being sure as to which shade i matched. since im medium with strong yellow undertones,i decided to get sx 8 and sx 11. lucky for me,sx8 was a perfect match and sx11 was my cousin's shade. we initially struggled with application techniques and dint quite get it right. i tried using my hand,brush,blender sponge,nothing worked the way i wanted it to. i tend to have dry-oily skin and hence had to moisturize a lot before applying to make it look not caky only to have it pool around my pores in an hour. not pretty. and then on somebodies recommendation,i tried mixing my h20 gel moisturizer with it. nu-uh. shouldve never done that. and then,by a complete total accident,i found the perfect base. aloe vera gel!! the pure gel with almost no additives is amazing. i use the green leaf one. its 98% pure and has a thick gel consistency. i use my concealer brush to pick up about a drop of the gel and mix it in with about a rice grain worth of my sse. say,sse to gel ratio would be 1:4. mixes really well and you have a perfect tinted moisturizer for oily skin with huge pores. it covers all my acne marks except the really dark ones. once this layer dries,i take very very little sse on my finger tips and just tap onto the very obvious scars. voila,perfect skin. this works really well for me and my cousin. she has very dry skin and moisturizes before application. i can see the tiny pot lasting us ages with this stuff. will definitely recommend!

for reference,i'm shade nc 35-40 ish in mac. and my cousin is nc 45ish(both with strong yellow undertones). sx 8 and sx11 match us pretty well.

EDIT - I'v been using this for a while now and though it still is the best foundation/concealer iv ever owned,i found that it doesnt really work on active cystic breakouts. its great for covering even really blah scars and red spots and works on even bumpy(lol) zits but not on cystic acne. it tends to exacerbate flakiness around the pimple and doesnt cover very well. i use a more moisturizing concealer for that.
but if you dont have any dry spots,this will be perfect for you.

18 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2011 11:32:00 PM More reviews by oshun

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've used other foundations, always looking for something better, but keep coming back to this....THERE IS NOTHING BETTER. Trust. A tiny bit with MAC Fix + with foundation brush and the look is flawless. Set with a little mineral powder from MAC and you are good to go. If you need a little more around eye area, do it but let the first round settle you may not even need it. I hope they never stop selling this stuff. It truly is the best.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2011 12:21:00 PM More reviews by laqueron1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

If I could merit paying $40 bucks for this product...I would. It covers everything with just one tap. No large amounts needed. Which means one little pot will last you a very long time ...and not only that. Cost per wear (if this is the only concealer you use) will definitely be less than a dollar a day ....much much less. This covers, undereye circles, lid darkness, spots...you name it, it does it. I think dermablend coverage but a much more luxurious feel (I have had Dermablend before...so trust me...this is a little bit creamier). But please, please, PLEASE, set with a powder. For reference, I use shade SX11 and I am a MAC NC42, Bobbi Brown #5 Honey, Guerlain #23.

20 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2011 8:49:00 PM More reviews by catnap

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm never . Ever . Never without a concealer . I have been through becca, Mac, prescriptive, touché éclat, blah blah blah .. This is a holy grail of a concealer . Doesn't break me out . Lightens my undereye shadows, the dark purple-ish area around the nose and under my chin, covers a few zits . the best part is the transparency as praised in others' reviews, I.e., your skin, but sensually and beautifully enhanced . Very light hands and little product is required .

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2011 8:45:00 PM More reviews by wonderdreamz

What a waste of money -_-

I was excited to get this because of the reviews on makeupalley but honestly, this is way too drying and its SUPER pigmented. Therefore its too pigmented that it looks yellowish green which i don't like. Also, its super expensive. i mean kevyn aucoin you were an awesome person but this product is a no no.

PROS:
-Cute pot

CONS:
-Not enough coverage
-Drying
-color is too yellowish green

Will not repurchase and will not recommend

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2011 11:27:00 AM More reviews by chinablaq

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this! Im a NC50 for reference and I use SX13 as a concealer for my under eye area, SX14 mixed with Mac's F&B mixing medium, and SX15 as a contour. Its so creamy, coverage is great, and it blends like a dream! Great stuff!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No