October 2, 2014 | 1139 users online

Hair Treatments - Joico - K-Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2011 12:56:00 AM More reviews by italiana800

This product seems like it would be good for your hair, but it dries my hair out. For the fact that it dries my hair, I will not repurchase. I think it's because of all the protein in this product. There's something about the smell of this product that makes me want to gag. It smells like rotten bananas. Not worth the price either. It's expensive.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2011 11:33:00 PM More reviews by xsnowwhite

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This product completely saved my hair! Let me give a brief history of my hair, had higlights, got bored and colored it black, decided i was over that, bleached it, highlighted it shortly after to get it even lighter. My hair is a good 5 inches past my shoulders, and I flat iron it. After all those terrible decisions my hair felt like straw on the last 3 or so inches of length,so I needed intense repair (and a haircut). I used the k-pak shampoo, conditioner, and this deep treatment 2x a week and within a month my hair felt completely back to normal. I highly reccomend this to anyone with damaged hair! I will always go back to this when my hair gets damaged!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2011 10:56:00 PM More reviews by Helenstar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I think i'll be using this product for the rest of my life....sparingly, of course :)

My hair used to always be in pretty damn good condition, until a mass amount of perms/straightening perms/bleaching/colouring all within a period of 10 months ruined my hair - dry, split ends everywhere, a crunchy sound would startle my dog when i'd try to tie it into a pony tail, and sadly small tips of my hair would drop onto my shirt when trying to tie my hair up. Bleh, horrible hair.

The first time i tried this product (my first reconstructor btw) i didn't notice it did a biiigg difference the first day (i used the Pantene mask for long hair after the reconstructor), but the day after the difference was night and day (i used Dove intensive conditioner).
My hair feels so much thicker and stronger and smoother now.

I think using this once a week would be perfect for me. Highly recommended for deeply damaged hair!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2011 2:10:00 PM More reviews by beelzebelle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Honestly saved my hair. I had dyed my hair way too many times with no discretion and unrelentingly straightened it for several years. i always knew it was on the cusp of being very damaged but wasn't doing much to help it. when my hair accidentally dyed black and i dida lot of harsh, horrible things to it to get it to fade including a LOT of washing with dish soap, bleaching, redying without any rest period it had gotten to the point where i had completely lost my hairs natural curly texture and had a lot of breakage. I had tried Aphogees 2 step protein treatment with no good results before turning to this.

This really nourishes all the breaking and split ends and i actually have my curls back. Unlike a lot of people, i enjoy the tropical banana scent. My mom says it smells like some sort of gross medicine to her. I always use Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm after this too because even though it makes your hair stronger, protein will always dry it out a little bit.

Also, GVP (from sallys) makes a cheaper 'compare to' version of this if the price is a problem for you. I haven't tried it myself but i plan to.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2011 4:45:00 PM More reviews by dreadedchinadoll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product has really helped with my bleached and overly dried out brittle hair. My recently dyed ombre'hair had left my hair feeling so dried out. Background: I've been dying my hair since i was 18 and turning 27 now. 2 applications of this treatment has restored a lot of moisture back into my hair. I can imagine it would only get better with continued use. I will try this in combination with the intense hydrator once that arrives. This is great stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2011 10:41:00 AM More reviews by happywoman28

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Great excellent wonderful! My hair was a fried, tangled, matted mess with a capital M. I needed to color it. I put on my Redkin Shades EQ color, rinsed after 40 minutes, and my hair was straw, impossible to ever untangle again, dry, like a big bundle of old steel wool. As soon as this runny pink liquid hit it, it was smooth and limp and straight, and the tangles literally fell out of it. It was so bad that to see it you would have thought I would have to just cut it off all but 4 inches. It is past my shoulders, fine, and I live in the pool and sun here in Florida. Plus Im old. I got it on Amazon despite a few warnings in the reviews that some that is sold there is fake. I was alarmed when I saw it was so runny and thin but it must be the real thing cause BOY DOES IT WORK. This is for the RECONSTRUCTOR in the silver tube. Thank God I found it and thanks ladies who recommended it.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2011 5:35:00 PM More reviews by bjdp55

I really do like this product. and it smells like a banana smoothie.
I have really fine hair that i get highlighted once every 2 months, and straighten a few days of the week, and is really prone to damaging easily. I need to use a protein treatment like this to aide in healthier hair.
I shampoo my hair, towel dry, then apply this alllll over till my hair is fully saturated. Leave on for 5 minutes with a shower cap while i shave ma legs. I used to condition after I use this product, but i tried not conditioning after and found better results. so i dont condition afterwards now.
I get about 4 uses from the bottle, and it's 20 dollars a bottle so about 5 dollars a use. I would like to see the price drop a litttttle bit, then i wouldnt feel so guilty every time i buy it .. even though its a good product.
I would not suggest that anyone use this product more than once a week. This is a protein treatment, so you really need to be careful, because if you use a protein treatment too often it can actually damage your hair even more. That being said, it's also not good to leave this product on for more than 5-10 minutes at a time. I use this product once every 2 weeks, and for the week that I dont use this product, I use a moisturizing mask instead.
I would recommend this product for anyone who color treats, chemical treats, heat styles, and applies any other damage to their hair as a one a week or twice a week mask. BUT if your hair does not have structural damage and is simply just dry .. dont use! protein aides in structural damage, and you could do more harm to your hair if you use this product and dont have structural damage.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2011 3:04:00 PM More reviews by basmah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this. Absolutely love this. I must admit, my hair is not very damaged. I don't colour, bleach, straighten, curl or blow dry it. My hair has suffered the most damaged while travelling, because I often had no access to warm water and often only to a bucket of water (and no shower), so rinsing my shampoo was a challenge, and using a conditioner was out of the question. My hair is quite long, oily at the roots, but dry at the ends and it is very, very fine. When I went back home, my hair was very dry, damaged and it kept breaking off and falling out. This product saved my hair. At first I used it once a week in the shower. After washing my hair I apply this to my hair, comb it through with a wide tooth comb and put on a shower cap. I continue with my shower for about five minutes and then I rinse it out and follow up with a conditioner. After a few weeks my hair stopped breaking off and it definitely felt a lot stronger. Now I only use it once every two weeks and that's enough. It doesn't moisturize, but it does strengthen. I also feel that this product gives me a LOT of volume and thickness, which I love.
Edit: after reading some other reviews, I would like to add that the bottles has already lasted me for 7 months, and I still have about 1/4 left. However, I have to emphasize that I have very fine hair so I won't use as much as someone with severely damaged or thick hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2011 6:57:00 PM More reviews by cocofern

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just recently started using this along with the Joico K-Pak conditioner and shampoo. This products is great, just wish it wasn't so expensive for a 5oz tube.
It smells like bananas, which is awesome; but it also separates in the tube so I shake it up before using. I usually shampoo, apply this product, wait 5 or so minutes, and follow with the conditioner right on top of it. Than I rinse it out about 10 minutes later. My hair feels amazing and it's really easy to comb out afterwards (this is usually not the case).

I have chemically treated hair (bleached and toned), which dries out super easily. This product keeps it nice and moisturized. I used it about once a week along with the shampoo and conditioner and found that this became too much for my hair. After washing my hair with it last time, it felt really dry and brittle. I think I over did it. I now use it about once every two weeks. It's much better to alternate with other products. My hair needs the protein so I plan on using this once every couple of weeks from now on. It works well but it is not a miracle product. If I style my hair with heat too much I still end up with a lot of breakage and split ends.

It's overall a good product and I will continue to use. I will repurchase if I find it at a reasonable price (Walgreens has it online for about $5 cheaper than other places).

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2011 6:33:00 PM More reviews by liegarcez

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My hairstylist told me to use that. I have ombre highlights and hair straightening, and I must take care of my hair a lot so it don't look dry or too damaged. I already had pink hair, green hair, black, blond, red... all the possible color, so my hair is a little weak, after many years searching for the perfect hair product my hairstylist show me the K pak line. I wash it 2 or 3 times a week (and I use dry shampoo too!) and once a week I use Deep penetrating and Intense Hydrator. Deep penetrating alone already does the job, but to intensify I like the Hydrator a lot! I wash with a clear(transparent) shampoo, after I use Keune Cool Blond shades shampoo, rinse, then Joico Deep penetrating, let it for 5-10 min, rinse and then use the conditioner or the Hydrator, more 5-10 min, rinse and done.
My hair is always soft and shiny! Can't leave without it! Totally worth!
The smell maybe strong for some ppl, looks like banana or some sweet fruity tropical something, the texture is totally like 'soupy oatmeal', 1st time I used it I thought it was rotten or something! At the beginning you may thing that your hair looks like heavy and kinda hard, but try using the conditioner after the deep penetrating, it works.
Well, I just love it and recommends for everybody to try! I also use the Smoothing Balm and the Leave-in Protectant, both Joico K-pak line!