April 19, 2014 | 1105 users online

Cleansers - Albolene cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2010 8:00:00 AM More reviews by DollFace0011

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

HG Makeup Remover and So much More!

FIND IT AT: Drugstores ( I was only able to find it at CVS. It can be hard to find and is easily overlooked. It comes in a white jar with a blue lid. I found mine on the bottle shelf at CVS)

PRICE: 10 +

JíADORE:
1. Packaging (I know a lot of people hate the packaging but I like it because for the price you get a large amount of product, you know exactly how much is left, and you donít have to keep squeezing to get product from a tube or throw away product you canít get out of a tube. Can be transferred to a small jar for travel needs. If you want to be really thrifty after your done with product clean out the jar really well and then use it to store brushes, scrunchieís, or random objects. I would use it to store my bobby pins but I use my old altoids tin for that :)

2. I love how my face isnít dry after taking all my make up off. I have extremely dry skin so yes having a product that doesnít leave me stripped of my natural oils is a must. I put about a dime size amount of product on my face and neck and wait five minutes and then use a wet wipe. Sometimes I even put some product on before I take a shower because the steam helps penetrate pores and then just use a wet wipe. I find that using a wet wipe helps get more of the gunk off my face faster without residue left behind.

3. Better than any other makeup cleaner. I have used EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), OO (olive oil), baby oil, and Vaseline. Though these products do work adequately they are ALL are epic fails in taking off waterproof mascara because not all the product can be taken off with any of these products. Also none of these products can take off my Milani eyeliner. NONE!

4. Cheap (but if you prefer products like Vaseline or baby oil you may see Albolene as an expensive purchase)

5. Recommended by dermatologist and not scented

6. Great for waterproof makeup (I always use waterproof mascara so this is a must! Also I wear Milani infinite 24 hr eyeliner (trust me this stays, see review for more info) and nothing but this takes it completely off.

7. Good for taking off stage makeup

8. Have heard it works well to smooth rough patches i.e. on cracked heels, helps cuticles, elbows

9. Also have heard it works well for :ahem: as a personal lubricant (only if you donít use latex for contraception needs so DO NOT USE WITH CONDOMS it dissolves latex!). Havenít tried it and wont so canít speak from experience just thought Iíd put it out there

10. Best makeup remover for dry, sensitive skin, or if you have eczema

11. It has been around since the 1960s and does what it claims ďThe makeup comes off, and the moisture stays inĒ

Deal-Breakers for some People
1. Packaging=Un hygienic-Wash hands before you put this product on and donít double dip. But if you have long fingernails or acrylic nails like I sometimes do you can use things like a spoon, scoop, or tongue depressors to dip into product instead of using your hands.

2. Not travel friendly-Buy some travel sized containers and put some Albolene in it and your ready to go. Cheap and this way no product is wasted in a tube.

3. This product does contain paraffin and petroleum which may cause skin irritation

4. May seem like Vaseline. Most people who think this is a more expensive Vaseline are mistaken. This product is not Vaseline, Vaseline has a different consistency. Both products can be used to remove makeup, are moisturizing, and have multi uses the ingredients and may feel identical because they both contain some of the same ingredients i.e. mineral oils, petroleum, and paraffin but Vaseline is a jelly and Albolene is a cleanser. For me Vaseline has a thicker consistency does not easily spread of absolve like Albolene does. It is harder/ if not impossible to remove waterproof eyeliner and mascara with it. I feel like I have to scrub to get all my makeup off and it leaves a thin sticky residue.

5. IMO (In my opinion) since this product is greasy and moisturizing it would not be good for oily skin but it may work for some people just not all (some reviews on MUA have had good experiences)

26 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2010 6:14:00 AM More reviews by shyred05

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Another product I discovered thanks to MakeupAlley. I was intrigued by all the raves and I drove all the way to Bellingham mainly for this. I think this costs around 10 usd for a huge tub of 12 oz. It's fragrance-free, the tub is white with a blue cover...

Now that I have it, I honestly can't see what the fuss is all about! It's just glorified petroleum jelly at par with Pond's Cold Cream. The consistency may be different (this one is like a waxy petroleum jelly) however both are effective in removing my eye makeup.The following ingredients are mineral oil, petroleum jelly, parraffin, ceresin, beta carotene. Won't repurchase.

5 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2010 12:34:00 PM More reviews by chayaNY

I like this product a lot. I wear waterproof mascara because I have to apply eye drops often for my dry eyes. I find this removes wp mascara easily and without loss of lashes, plus it does not irritate my very sensitive eyes. It does not cause irritation, or redness, breakouts, clogged pores etc, on my highly reactive skin. I use a wet cotton pad (the kind you would remove nail polish with) to remove it after I've massaged some in. When showering I leave it on till the end so my mu basically melts off. I don't feel a need to use a cleanser afterward, but do when I have worn long wearing foundation. My skin is very dry and this is a soothing product overall. My mother told me my grandmother used it and its hung around so long because it does what it claims and is cost effective.

You only need a small amount to remove your makeup, so I transfer product into a smaller container and store the larger jar. For travel its great as no dripping, and can double as a lip balm, and moisturizer for dry hands, elbows, hells, etc. I like that its fairly simple, and I only use the fragrance free kind with the blue lid, the version with the red lid is scented. I will buy again but I bought a tub last winter and am still not halfway through!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2010 5:47:00 AM More reviews by Missdawn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My HG makeup remover.. I read in a magazine a few times that models and actresses use this alot to remove heavy makeup because it emulsifies all of it off of your face. IT REALLY DOES!! Ive tried several high end makeup removers and none compare to the removing power of Albolene. I strayed for a little while, but am almost to the end of my Lancome bifacils and then Im back to the drug store to buy my beloved Albolene :)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2010 11:43:00 AM More reviews by themeanreds

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This cleanser is wonderful for winters in a cold, dry climate! It is essentially just mineral oil and wax--it starts out hard and liquifies. It removes makeup completely, wipes off with a warm washcloth more easily than cold cream, and leaves your skin dewy. I wouldn't use this during warmer weather but it is perfect for harsh winters.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2010 6:45:00 PM More reviews by baskinrobbins

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Very, very thick formula; less sticky than straight petroleum jelly. Does a good job of removing makeup without overdrying. Works well as an overnight treatment on the hands.

Nice that it's fragrance free. Can be a little pricey and hard to find.

As a makeup remover, I like it better than Pond's cold cream, but not as much as my unscented Cerave lotion. It's a little hard to get it all off your face with no emulsifiers in it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2010 6:33:00 PM More reviews by Catarah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

For all you daily makeup wearers out there:

THIS IS A GOD SEND!!!

Thanks to MUA I stumbled across this stuff! When you first open the jar, your going to be like...this is like petroleum jelly...it is but it isn't. I get about a dime size amount and rub all over my face. Then i get a nice warm washcloth and slowly rub it all off. Personally I use another gentle cleanser(Cetaphil or boscia) in conjuntion w/this....I just don't feel that the Albolene is enough on it's own.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2010 11:43:00 PM More reviews by riotkitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I got this a few months ago, due to all the good reviews. It did a fine job as a makeup remover, but I ditched it when I went on all natural skin care routine. The Albolene then got moved to the shower where it functioned as a pretty good shaving cream if you don't mind a really gunky razor.

Something in my all natural routine wrecked havoc on my skin. It was a dry, scaly, peeling mess. Patches felt bumpy making me think it was acne so I got more aggressive with my anti acne toners and masks and it just got worse. It hurt too. I tried fixing it with my combo of hyaluronic acid serum and jojoba oil which usually works, but my skin was still rough and dry.

Out of desperation, I put some Aquaphor that I carry in my purse for my lips on the the scaly patches and they felt better almost immediately. I was all set to go by a jar of Aquaphor, when I remembered that Albolene had very similar ingredients and I still had a lot left. That night I used it as my make-up remover, washed my face with a gentle wash (Diana Yvonne Wheat Germ cleanser). I then put a layer of hyaluronic acid serum on my damp skin and topped it with a thick layer of Albolene. I left that on for about 30 min and then blotted the excess with tissue. I left the rest on overnight and when I woke up my skin was about 75% better. I did the same routine the next night and my skin feels almost normal. I can't believe how much this simple product saved my skin. Its my standard makeup remover from now on.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2010 6:46:00 PM More reviews by Juno77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Edit. This doesn't break me out. Everything ELSE I was using was breaking me out. This is the ONLY cleanser in the drugstore I can use without drying out my face, and I'm quite oily, I couldn't even use Cetaphil without over drying my face. It seem I was completely wrong about petrolatum/mineral oil, it doesnt seem to be comedogenic, because im SUPER acne-prone, and have very sensitive skin and its not making it worse.

The only thing I dislike about this is taking it off. I appreciate how cleansing oils emulsify and are easy to rinse off. This has to be wiped off. Im afraid of causing more saging in my skin. But aside from that this works very well. I must try to use a washcloth with hot water to remove it instead of toilet paper. Im exited that this might just replace my moisturizer as well. Well see!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2010 12:28:00 PM More reviews by rebslo

Yes, it does look like a tub of petroleum jelly and takes getting used to- but I love it for removing make up. I message a generous amount all over my face and wipe off residue with a warm washcloth. It feels like I am giving myself a home facial. Some are turned off by the oil like feeling but if you massage for a while, you will feel the oil dislodging blackheads. Sometimes I follow with a foaming cleanser- but either way I don't feel greasy afterwards. Of course no extra lotion/cream is needed. I feel clean and moisurized.