September 30, 2014 | 1747 users online

Cleansers - Albolene cleanser

rated 3 of 5 on 3/8/2011 11:52:00 AM More reviews by djtorrey

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My skin is normal to dry, and I avoid using soap on my face, and thought I'd use this as something a bit more moisturizing than Cetaphyl cleanser, but it's a bit greasier than I'd like. I've been using it nonetheless through the winter, but I have to follow it by swabbing witch hazel as a toner to cut down the greasiness. I'll keep it though, for extra dry times, and I do find it's a perfect cleanser to prep my skin for a clay mask: if I cleanse first with the Albolene, then do the mask, when I rinse the mask off, my skin feels wonderful--tingly and clean, but also very moist.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2011 11:38:00 PM More reviews by onethousandcurls

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have always had a problem removing eye makeup (I don't even wear waterproof mascara). No matter what I tried, it either burned my eyes or was too inefficient for me to deal with (including the Sonia Kashuk Remove, which is popular around here). This is the first one that actually gets rid of my eye makeup!

PROS:
1. Price and availability - this was $12 at CVS, but it's all over the drugstores in my area.
2. The amount - the tub is deep. Seriously, I don't think I'll be repurchasing for a long time.
3. No fragrance and doesn't irritate my eyes, thank the Lord.
4. Removes makeup effectively! I just massage this into my skin and eye area, and it removes all my foundation and eye makeup like a dream.
5. Great for use as a mask/treatment.

CONS:
1. Greasy - but this is just the nature of the product, it's kind of annoying but I don't care.
2. Traveling with it is a no-go - but if you have time decant a little into a smaller container that you reserve for traveling.

TIP: This is on the Albolene website, but here's the treatment. Following a shower (or place a hot wet washcloth on your face for a few moments), massage this into your skin. Keep massaging until you feel little gritty bits (I know, gross!). Then let it sit for a few minutes. Take something like a credit card and scrape the Albolene off. It removes a ton of dead skin and plugs of dirt/oil that it loosened out of your pores! When I did this, the Albolene I scraped off was GRAY. And I keep my face clean with a Clarisonic Mia.

Enjoy.

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2011 12:20:00 AM More reviews by HunieBzzz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This works wonders for eczema. In a matter of just days it's made major improvements. I didn't think it was going to work so fast. I absolutely love this!

The products is thick, kind of like vaseline, but it's liquefies very fast on the skin. This feels really good on dry skin and leave it very soft (no water needed, just tissue off).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2011 10:45:00 AM More reviews by nikkimorrissey

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I used this for removing eye makeup only. I noticed after a week or so of use I started getting clogged pores around my eyebrows and hairline so I stopped using it. It did a good job of removing stubborn mascara, etc., but IMO it's just glorified Vaseline that you can get cheaper and does the same job. The packaging is a big jar with a screw-on lid so you do have to plunge your fingers in and dig out the prodcut, but you'll be doing the same with Vaseline and other cold cream type cleansers. I wouldn't be completely against buying this again but also not making a mad dash to do so either.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2010 8:00:00 AM More reviews by DollFace0011

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

HG Makeup Remover and So much More!

FIND IT AT: Drugstores ( I was only able to find it at CVS. It can be hard to find and is easily overlooked. It comes in a white jar with a blue lid. I found mine on the bottle shelf at CVS)

PRICE: 10 +

JíADORE:
1. Packaging (I know a lot of people hate the packaging but I like it because for the price you get a large amount of product, you know exactly how much is left, and you donít have to keep squeezing to get product from a tube or throw away product you canít get out of a tube. Can be transferred to a small jar for travel needs. If you want to be really thrifty after your done with product clean out the jar really well and then use it to store brushes, scrunchieís, or random objects. I would use it to store my bobby pins but I use my old altoids tin for that :)

2. I love how my face isnít dry after taking all my make up off. I have extremely dry skin so yes having a product that doesnít leave me stripped of my natural oils is a must. I put about a dime size amount of product on my face and neck and wait five minutes and then use a wet wipe. Sometimes I even put some product on before I take a shower because the steam helps penetrate pores and then just use a wet wipe. I find that using a wet wipe helps get more of the gunk off my face faster without residue left behind.

3. Better than any other makeup cleaner. I have used EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), OO (olive oil), baby oil, and Vaseline. Though these products do work adequately they are ALL are epic fails in taking off waterproof mascara because not all the product can be taken off with any of these products. Also none of these products can take off my Milani eyeliner. NONE!

4. Cheap (but if you prefer products like Vaseline or baby oil you may see Albolene as an expensive purchase)

5. Recommended by dermatologist and not scented

6. Great for waterproof makeup (I always use waterproof mascara so this is a must! Also I wear Milani infinite 24 hr eyeliner (trust me this stays, see review for more info) and nothing but this takes it completely off.

7. Good for taking off stage makeup

8. Have heard it works well to smooth rough patches i.e. on cracked heels, helps cuticles, elbows

9. Also have heard it works well for :ahem: as a personal lubricant (only if you donít use latex for contraception needs so DO NOT USE WITH CONDOMS it dissolves latex!). Havenít tried it and wont so canít speak from experience just thought Iíd put it out there

10. Best makeup remover for dry, sensitive skin, or if you have eczema

11. It has been around since the 1960s and does what it claims ďThe makeup comes off, and the moisture stays inĒ

Deal-Breakers for some People
1. Packaging=Un hygienic-Wash hands before you put this product on and donít double dip. But if you have long fingernails or acrylic nails like I sometimes do you can use things like a spoon, scoop, or tongue depressors to dip into product instead of using your hands.

2. Not travel friendly-Buy some travel sized containers and put some Albolene in it and your ready to go. Cheap and this way no product is wasted in a tube.

3. This product does contain paraffin and petroleum which may cause skin irritation

4. May seem like Vaseline. Most people who think this is a more expensive Vaseline are mistaken. This product is not Vaseline, Vaseline has a different consistency. Both products can be used to remove makeup, are moisturizing, and have multi uses the ingredients and may feel identical because they both contain some of the same ingredients i.e. mineral oils, petroleum, and paraffin but Vaseline is a jelly and Albolene is a cleanser. For me Vaseline has a thicker consistency does not easily spread of absolve like Albolene does. It is harder/ if not impossible to remove waterproof eyeliner and mascara with it. I feel like I have to scrub to get all my makeup off and it leaves a thin sticky residue.

5. IMO (In my opinion) since this product is greasy and moisturizing it would not be good for oily skin but it may work for some people just not all (some reviews on MUA have had good experiences)

26 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2010 6:14:00 AM More reviews by shyred05

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Another product I discovered thanks to MakeupAlley. I was intrigued by all the raves and I drove all the way to Bellingham mainly for this. I think this costs around 10 usd for a huge tub of 12 oz. It's fragrance-free, the tub is white with a blue cover...

Now that I have it, I honestly can't see what the fuss is all about! It's just glorified petroleum jelly at par with Pond's Cold Cream. The consistency may be different (this one is like a waxy petroleum jelly) however both are effective in removing my eye makeup.The following ingredients are mineral oil, petroleum jelly, parraffin, ceresin, beta carotene. Won't repurchase.

5 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2010 12:34:00 PM More reviews by chayaNY

I like this product a lot. I wear waterproof mascara because I have to apply eye drops often for my dry eyes. I find this removes wp mascara easily and without loss of lashes, plus it does not irritate my very sensitive eyes. It does not cause irritation, or redness, breakouts, clogged pores etc, on my highly reactive skin. I use a wet cotton pad (the kind you would remove nail polish with) to remove it after I've massaged some in. When showering I leave it on till the end so my mu basically melts off. I don't feel a need to use a cleanser afterward, but do when I have worn long wearing foundation. My skin is very dry and this is a soothing product overall. My mother told me my grandmother used it and its hung around so long because it does what it claims and is cost effective.

You only need a small amount to remove your makeup, so I transfer product into a smaller container and store the larger jar. For travel its great as no dripping, and can double as a lip balm, and moisturizer for dry hands, elbows, hells, etc. I like that its fairly simple, and I only use the fragrance free kind with the blue lid, the version with the red lid is scented. I will buy again but I bought a tub last winter and am still not halfway through!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2010 5:47:00 AM More reviews by Missdawn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My HG makeup remover.. I read in a magazine a few times that models and actresses use this alot to remove heavy makeup because it emulsifies all of it off of your face. IT REALLY DOES!! Ive tried several high end makeup removers and none compare to the removing power of Albolene. I strayed for a little while, but am almost to the end of my Lancome bifacils and then Im back to the drug store to buy my beloved Albolene :)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2010 11:43:00 AM More reviews by themeanreds

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This cleanser is wonderful for winters in a cold, dry climate! It is essentially just mineral oil and wax--it starts out hard and liquifies. It removes makeup completely, wipes off with a warm washcloth more easily than cold cream, and leaves your skin dewy. I wouldn't use this during warmer weather but it is perfect for harsh winters.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2010 6:45:00 PM More reviews by baskinrobbins

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Very, very thick formula; less sticky than straight petroleum jelly. Does a good job of removing makeup without overdrying. Works well as an overnight treatment on the hands.

Nice that it's fragrance free. Can be a little pricey and hard to find.

As a makeup remover, I like it better than Pond's cold cream, but not as much as my unscented Cerave lotion. It's a little hard to get it all off your face with no emulsifiers in it.