Revlon Colorstay LipColor

3.7

on 11/1/2005 12:59:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Colorstay Cocoa is the perfect red-tan for me. Not too bright, not too dark, not too red, not too brown. Great for daytime.

I had bought up a lot whenever I saw them on sale or had a coupon and am sad to see that the line was discontinued. I guess the matte lipsticks are out, but I am a fuddy-duddy and love the non-glossy look and the stay-put color. I have long hair and can't stand it when my hair sticks to my lipsticks, yuck!

I don't think the color looks anything like cocoa, and I agree that the packaging needs an update, but sheesh, they just discontinued everything. I don't even find these that drying. I will seek out a few more from ebay, etc.

on 10/16/2005 6:06:00 PM

I have this in Raisin and Cocoa but they are so drying, and my lips strat to peel after a few hours. And if I eat or drink a line forms on the interior of my lips. I'll switch to MAC's matte lipsticks, I heard they are more comfortable.

on 6/13/2005 11:06:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Their new Colorstay Overtime is good, but this is my HG longlasting lipcolor. I got my hands on 4 tubes before Revlon stopped carrying the line. I wish they bring them back instead of launching the new line, as the matte finish feels more comfortable on my lips than the paint-like Colorstay Overtime.

I met Vixen in a drugstore years ago, and yikes the color swatch on the box must had faded a lot. It turned out to be a goth dark purple that just didn't fit into my lifestyle ^^b. I think it was of the original formula as it was rather drying & somewhat cakey, but I was really impressed by the staying power. Surprisingly, the smell was tolerable too. Fortunately it was cheap like US$3... Had fun making purple gloss by melting it with chunks fm a disfunct. mentholatum chapstick.

I bought Violet from the drugstore later and it was a gorgeous medium pink-violet. Coverage decent on my pigmented lips (this is NEVER achieved by any of my glossy lipsticks), giving an even matte finish. The formula seemed to be improved as application was a bliss. Dunno why they stuck w/ the cheap packaging that's tres ugly & doesn't fit into my lipstick case (I can go on...), but it's no big deal coz I seldom need retouching...

Cocoa was the only tube I bought at full price of ~US$10 from an authorised distributor. Still w/o testers & I thought it'd be a natural nude brown-beige. Wrong - it had pronounced red tones. So instead of no-makeup day I reserved it for job interviews w/ tea reception, and didn't need to worry about embarrassing lipstick stains on cups. Well, it didn't even leave a trace on cig butts.

Abt a year later I finally got my no-makeup day lippie - #563. It's a Japanese version found at the drugstore. The shade is the perfect nude pink for my warm medium complexion *hearts*. Sometimes I wear it over a lipbalm for a semi-matte finish & ppl can't tell I'm wearing lipcolor. And the packaging looks more sophisticated & doesn't scratch like no one's business. That's strange coz it reads "made in America"... continued >>

on 5/28/2005 3:05:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This review is for the discontinued version of these lipsticks - the ones in the long black tubes.

I own 8 of these - Raisin, Grape, Slate, Fawn, Vixen, Wine, Mulberry and Fig. The only ones that I find very drying and hard to put on are Mulberry and Fig, for some reason the formula just seems different on these 2 - maybe I got bad batches? My absolute favourite is Raisin and have been using it as long as it's been out. I always go back to this one time and time again. If I use the lipliner with this, it lasts even longer but I do find that the lipliners are kind of dry and hard to put on - so I don't use them too often.

on 5/28/2005 2:25:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

After reading the favorable reviews about this product, I decided to give it a try.
I thought this product was terrible! My lips started to peel and it felt grainy. I also had a hell of a time trying to get it off.

on 4/25/2005 9:13:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Based on reviews from MUA, I thought "Dusk" would be the color for me, but I found that it was FAR TOO orange. (I'm a CCC.) Despite that, the quality was fantastic and it stayed on all day. Plus, $9 for a drugstore brand is too much considering that the color does not match my skin.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I have this in my favorite color, Spice.The good thing about this lipstick is that it goes on smoothly,with a very rich color that isn't nasty,greasy,and gooey like regular normal lipstick.This color,Spice,looks great on just about any skin tone,and can look more pinkish or brownish or whatever with different lipliners! Spice is a really pretty color,a light brownish,pinkish shimmery color.The lasting power of this is MUCH better than normal lipsticks, but still isn't all that it's cracked up to be,lets say after a meal or a makeout session with your boyfriend.For lasting,lasting power after meals or kissing,I highly recommend Max Factor's Lipfinity or the Cover Girl stuff. But if you want something pretty, that you can apply quickly without the whole 2 step thing that lasts longer than regular lipstick,I recommend this.

on 4/3/2005 12:48:00 PM

I love the Revlon MoistureStay lipsticks but I found the original Colorstay formula was long-lasting yet far too drying. Ick!

on 3/5/2005 9:06:00 PM

Oh my wow, this stuff is GREAT! I generally avoid long-wearing lipsticks as I don't enjoy drying formulas, and I've definetely avoided this line like the plague in particular. Revlon has carried the colorstay line ever since I can remember--I think they've had it long before I even started wearing makeup which was over a decade ago. There were many factors contributing to my avoidance of this l/s. One, it looks ancient--like the Moondrops line--I was convinced the formula would be very dated. Two, these lippies are sealed up in little boxes so it is very diffucult to get an idea of what the shade actually looks like until you purchase. Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be much of a range of colors to choose from , not any more at least, at one time probably, but now they all look like some variation of plum or reddish brown. Sort of discouraging. Well, out of curiousity I picked up the shade "shell" and was thrilled with how pretty this is. It is a shimmery pink nude color that looks fantastic for spring paired with a rosy blush. I'm in love with this color. I was also amazed at how incredibly smooth the formula is--it glides on so easily. I wore it over a little dab of balm and didn't notice any drying although you can tell it isn't a moisturising l/s. It stayed on for a good length of time and wore well and it felt like I had nothing on my lips--I love that! Also, this is not torture to remove like many long-wearing l/s are. I'm so happy I finally gave this line a chance--i'm very impressed--although now that I've found it and like it Revlon will probably finally retire this one. I'll have to update once I see the effects frequent wear has on the condition of my lips. So far, so good!

on 2/16/2005 1:44:00 PM

Love this lipstick. I have been using plum for a couple of years and I find that it really stays on my lips for hours. I love the idea of moisturizing lipstick, but I find that they don't have the staying power of colorstay. I don't find it drying, but I sometimes use gloss over it for more shine. I need to branch out and try more colors, the color selection is broad, but its hard to pick the right color by looking at the color sample on the box. Will definitely purchase again....

Recommended for Medium Skin