October 1, 2014 | 1830 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2012 6:55:00 PM More reviews by jejushhh

I was light coppery-golden blonde for over a year and I was trying so hard to find a hair color that will neutralize the coppery shine. I bought this in shade 50 (light ash brown, I think) and it turned out slightly darker than the shade on the packaging, but I am very satisfied. I tried some other ammonia-free colors and they just weren't strong enough. I held it for about 25 min and I can say it has great coverage and my hair isn't dried out at all!

You get everything you need inside the box, but I would recommend using a brush, too. It helps to spread out the mixture evenly.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2012 1:24:00 PM More reviews by AndreaaaMariee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Grey

I use this brand almost every time I dye my hair, and when I don't, it's cause their sold out in the color that I want. It lasts long with out fading, doesn't stink to bad, the color comes out even, and it leaves my hair feeling soft and silky. There's also a lot of dye in just one box. I usually need 2 boxes when I dye my hair cause my hair is so long and thick, but I only need one with this. So it saves me money. It's really cheap too. I get it at walmart for $4 but it goes on sale a lot for $3.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/19/2012 7:08:00 PM More reviews by deelee1989

Colorsilk simply does not possess the "permanent" quality. At least not for me. I used two bottles of Colorsilk just to ensure that the color will stay. But after only two weeks the color substantially faded away. When washing the dye away, there was so much color that washed out and it was a never ending dripping of hair dye through the drain. It took me about 20 minutes or more just to wash enough of the color out so it doesn't stain the towel. It has a very drying formula and the color results are rather flat and dull. I would recommend this for someone who doesn't mind a drying formula and need a color lift for a couple weeks. The deep conditioner is decent and a must need after dyeing your hair if your hair tends to be dry. The results are definitely what you get at such an inexpensive price point.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/18/2012 2:41:00 PM More reviews by allicat818

Ok... So... Well.... I really can not explain how upset I am with this hair dye. I've ALWAYS done my hair myself and 9/10 it turns out great and the remainder it's tolerable and/or fixable. I have really short hair; growing out a pixie cut, and before I dyed it it was a very light red with a good two inches of roots because I am returning to my natural color. I spent a long time online looking for a good solid brand to buy the box dye to help me do so an I heard Colorsilk would be perfect and the shade Medium Golden Brown was practically congruent to my natural color. WRONG! I dyed it last night and it was so dark, so so soooo dark. And it was very one dimensional, every highlight and lowlight I've had just became one ugly shade of very dark brown. The only reason I gave it two stars was 1 for cheap price and 1 for leaving my hair very soft and shiny. Now...
I let it dry but all I noticed was that overall it had a very ugly dark auburn effect, I thought it might be because my hair had been red before but it was nothing like that, even my roots had the red tinge. UGH! I put some melted coconut oil in it (2 tbsp worth) and wrapped it in saran wrap and went to bed. Woke up barely any difference, my hair was healthy as virgin hair but still an ugly dark color. So of course I showered, shampooed, conditioned, and once again barely any difference.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/5/2012 8:29:00 PM More reviews by iloveeeyou23

Please make sure your hair is in fair condition before using any hair dye! This product will make your hair feel a bit dry, but the conditioner restores the oils in your hair :) My first experience w/ this brand was in April of 2012. I used Ultra Light Natural Blonde #04 on my virgin black hair to give some golden brownish highlights.(I didn't want to use bleach) The color came out nice, and the hair dye did not smell too strong. It's been more than 6 months now, and the color still shows! (The roots grew out, of course) I guess this is because I've been using the sulfate free shampoo from Loreal. But I am considering buying another box to dye my whole hair this time. The price value is absolutely cheap- $3 at my local Target! You can see the results on my youtube channel @anotherpunker

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2012 5:51:00 PM More reviews by coocoovanille

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use this in #41, Medium Brown. I am a natural brunette with some grey to cover and my hair is very fine and thin. I was using Natural Instincts, but got tired of how quickly it was washing out...I liked that it was semiperm and less damaging, but sick of coloring so often, plus I'm cheap and so is Colorsilk, so I wanted to give it a try. I LOVE IT. #41 is a gorgeous shade of brown, not too dark, not too red...it's perfect. It gets rid of all my greys and doesn't wreck my hair or make it dry.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/26/2012 10:48:00 PM More reviews by seastar808

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Just dyed my hair a few days ago with "Medium Golden Brown" and have no complaints! I've used colorsilk before because, let's face it, what woman who colors her hair at home hasn't, but was only doing the salon coloring thing for a while. Well, not that I'm in grad school and can't afford such luxuries I took a risk and went back to Colorsilk...I'm not sure if I used this particular color in the past but on my naturally medium to ashy brown roots and lighter, highlighted hair medium golden brown came out just that, a nice, warm, medium brown that still shows the highlights from before and has left my hair pretty shiny and soft. I applied it from the roots to about 2/3 of the way down because I wanted the ends to stay blond (the ombre kind of thing) and about 5 minutes before I washed it out I worked the color all the way through to the end. Would definitely repurchase.
UPDATE: Just after I wrote this, I realized I haven't checked lately if Revlon tests or does not test on animals...for years they were cruelty free, but I guess now they are selling products in China where animal testing for cosmetics/beauty products is required (horrible) and their cruelty free status is no longer. HUGE BUMMER. Another company I no longer can feel okay purchasing from. Send Revlon an email and let them know you want them to be cruelty free if you care about animal welfare like I do. Thanks.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2012 7:26:00 PM More reviews by bbleu7856

I really like this hair color product. It has no Ammonia, and amazingly my fried, overprocessed felt so much after I colored it with this! I was surprised and delighted with the color and the condition of my hair afterwards. I used the Dark Ash Blonde, and it's a very pretty color. This hair color is actually superior to some of the dyes I've purchased at Sally's in the past. Not only is it a great product, it is very affordable at only $3-4 box. The conditioner that comes with it is wonderful. I just wish they would give you a bigger packet of it.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/25/2012 1:48:00 AM More reviews by catprincess

WORST EVER. No actually I've had worse hair dye but I've tried three different colors of this brand and it just fades in like 3 weeks. That's not what permanent dye is suppose to do! this product is a Thumbs down if u want permanent hair color but a thumbs up if your just experimenting!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2012 12:47:00 AM More reviews by julzicat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I would not purchase this product again. I have colored my hair many times over the years, but I recently went on a hair color hiatus and let my natural hair grow back. This was not the product on which to make my return to the hair color world. It may be the worst I have ever used for the condition in which it left my hair. I went from shiny and healthy to ratty, frizzy, and even shorter? (I'm guessing there was some breakage. It actually feels like it contracted. Haha, maybe it recoiled in fear!) The color (Dark Auburn) is nice and was true to its representation on the box, but the bogus claim on the box that it will leave your hair healthier is disturbing. When I saw this hair color on the shelf, I thought "Oh, ammonia-free. That must mean it's healthier." And then the little voice in the back of my head said "Wait, but it's permanent. If it's not ammonia-based, what is it? And why is it so cheap?" I should have gone with the little voice and gotten the ammonia-based product of the same hue, but I thought I was just being silly by thinking the more expensive product MUST be better. I was not. This product jacked up my hair. I'm doing some deep conditioning now to see if I can at least partially remedy what happened here. :(

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No