April 19, 2014 | 1652 users online

Moisturizers - Avene - Skin Recovery Cream (US name: Cream For Intolerant Skin)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2011 4:49:00 PM More reviews by avironneur

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

WHAT IS IT? Moisturizing cream for sensitive skin
INGREDIENTS: Water, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Cyclomethicone, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Squalane, Benzoic Acid, Carbomer, Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Triethanolamine
HOW DOES IT PERFORM? I had to be the odd man out but this cream, while providing adequate hydration and serving its intended purpose, also causes my face to immediately go red and blotchy minutes after application. I blame the butylene glycol as I experience a similar reaction when using Spectro Jel (Canadian mild silicone-based cleansing gel) which also contains butylene glycol as a principal ingredient. This cream has a gel-like texture and only a small amount is required to hydrate skin. This is best applied over wet skin. I personally broke out badly after using this for a week so I would be hesitant to recommend this to acne-prones although it did plump up my dry areas nicely and eliminate seborrheic dermatitis patches.
WOULD YOU BUY AGAIN? No - between the breakouts and the high price based on the ingredients, I cannot justify purchasing this again.
PRICE: $31.00 CAD for 40ml

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/16/2011 5:14:00 PM More reviews by cloudpaper

This cream is very gentle and does calm down the skin. the only problem is it using mineral oil as the main ingredients so it does not absorb properly into your skin and leaves oily face. It also clog your pores and i develop some whiteheads after three days using it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2011 5:10:00 AM More reviews by tinybucket

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been told that I have sensitive skin, not combination skin like I previously thought by a aesthetician. I was glad she told me because I'd been having a reaction to my regular Dr Hauschka routine (which has done amazing things for my skin too) but anyways I bought this cream and have had pretty troublefree skin ever since. I think it was intended to use until the skin reaction is calmed down but I use it about once everyday at least (sometimes I swap it with Hauschka, depending on the state of my skin). It doesn't feel greasy, sinks in and leaves my skin soft and healthy. Great product. Here in Europe the price is okay I think, about 15 euro for the 40 ml tube. Have repurchased this product and will keep it in my routine.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2011 7:55:00 AM More reviews by prairiegirl80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This cream literally saved my skin! I had a horrible allergic reaction from another product that left my face red and angry. I slathered on this cream before I went to bed and the next day my face was 70% better! I am in shock!! If you have extremely sensitive reactive skin like me, Give this a try :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2011 3:36:00 AM More reviews by Cripella

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

This is a review for the Rich version (Rich Skin Recovery Cream).

I have struggled to find a rich moisturiser for my very dry, VERY blemish-prone, mildly sensitive skin for years. All the rich moisturisers were comodogenic, and it just seemed to me like all the non-comodogenic/anti-acne products were geared towards oily skin types, so I just put up with those products and watched my skin spiral into pimply, flakey disrepair.

Then two months ago I decided to spend a little more than I normally would on a moisturiser (I'm but a poor uni student). The price point's a little much here in Australia, where it's AU$40 for a little 40mL tube (it's $31 at Chemist Warehouse though!). But it's worth every penny - my skin is happier and healthier than it has been in years, and no breakouts (except for the occasional pimple because of a topical antibiotic I'm using). It says to use it until your skin is back to its normal balance, but when I don't use it, my skin's still dry and tight. And realistically speaking, no moisturiser can permanently change your skin type.

My skin feels supple and balanced, perfectly hydrated but not at all greasy. This is quite possibly my HG moisturiser!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2011 8:54:00 AM More reviews by marmaladecat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This review is for the normal version; I know there is a 'Rich' version available too.

I am so pleased I found this. I've got combination skin which doesn't cope well with rich moisturisers or anything heavily scented. I picked this up hoping it would help calm the breakouts my face was experiencing owing to a number of unsuitable moisturisers I'd been using.

This moisturiser really did the job :) I noticed an improvement in my skin after only a few days of using it in the morning. Having now used it for a couple of months, I've not had any more breakouts (only the occasional spot which I would always get anyway) and my skin looks really smooth and much clearer.

The cream is fragrance-free and gives a pleasantly soothing cooling feel when applied. It has very few ingredients, which is great if you're looking to minimise your chances of getting any sensitivity. This does feel quite greasy on my face for a while after application but it doesn't bother me as it doesn't LOOK greasy when I have it on.

At 12.50 it is not cheap, but I find I don't need to slather loads on at least, plus the results are well worth the price in my opinion!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2011 3:02:00 PM More reviews by tmfuller

Finally, something that relaxes my irritated, break-out prone skin!!!
My skin is naturally oily-combination, but I'm using a topical acne treatment (Tazorac-great stuff) that has left my skin irritated, sensitive and red. I'm also breakout prone so typically, rich creams are not a fit. They generally leave my skin dehydrated and flaky, with a greasy layer sitting on top. I've used both the regular recovery cream, and the new rich version. Something about these creams make my skin calm down!! They also soak in beautifully, without leaving sticky residue. I originally bought the rich version as a night cream, but I've discovered it works great under my makeup during the day, keeping my face calm, hydrated and balanced so I actually end up less oily throughout the day.
I really just adore the whole Avene line! I have tried lots of skin products, many of them seeming to just complicate my skin problems even more. Ever since a lovely SA at Shoppers suggested this line, I've never dreamt of going back. They're simple and effective, and my skin finally feels consistently comfortable, healthy and balanced! This cream, the gentle purifying scrub and the gentle gel cleanser are permanent additions to my routine!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2011 3:15:00 AM More reviews by yuriyuri0905

One of my favourite moisturiser! excellent on my dry sensitive skin. It is little bit greasy after you put them on but after a while it really keep the skin moist. Its really good for dry and sensitive skin, but I don't think it suits oily or acne skin since it does give a greasy feeling for quite a while.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/14/2011 7:43:00 PM More reviews by rasbperries

I have very sensitive skin, and since it's been congested and gross lately I'm trying to cut down on how many products I use. I bought this because I wanted something calming and simple but also moisturizing (since I'm using BP to try and calm down my acne and it's been super drying to my skin). The price by itself isn't too expensive (I mean, it's expensive, but not completely exorbitant), it's just that honestly I didn't find that this product worked at all so it was essentially a waste of money. It didn't sink in all the way and felt like it was just sitting on the surface of my face, so my skin had a gross oily/sticky texture but was still dehydrated and tight feeling. I didn't feel like this did anything beneficial at all, and on top of that I think it broke me out (pretty sure it was the mineral oil).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2011 12:39:00 PM More reviews by sunnyraingene

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This cream is really awesome for my eczema flare ups on humid summer days. It does what it's supposed to do, calm and balance my flakey cheeks. I used this over the mild steroids cream prescribed by the doctor and my flakey cheeks are gone after a week of use! The label recommended that the product should be used until skin is balanced. I'm gonna use this twice daily for one more week and maybe use it as a night cream to keep my face moisturized until I finish the product.

Will definitely repurchase this, although the usual retail price is kinda steep. I bought this at a discount of 20%.