September 21, 2014 | 963 users online

Moisturizers - Avene - Skin Recovery Cream (US name: Cream For Intolerant Skin)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/4/2012 8:22:00 PM More reviews by zee81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been dealing with some nasty flakies all over my face lately. I typically use Cerave lotion and that is not enough. I was at the drugstore this weekend and the SA suggested to try this cream. I put it on before bed and what a difference. I have been using it twice a day since and my face has calmed down. I have smooth skin and the tone has evened out. I took off a lippie because it is pretty expensive for such a small tube ($31.00 CAD), but nonetheless it is worth trying if you are struggling with really sensitive, dry skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2012 3:47:00 PM More reviews by miniipixie

I used to have acne-prone skin but after taking Accutane (month 6), my skin became extremely dry and sensitive. The sales lady at London Drugs highly recommended it to me and I must say this Avene creme works wonders! I apply the cream twice a day and after about 2 weeks, I've noticed excellent results. My skin is so smooth and I feel like my skin is glowing!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/23/2011 2:41:00 PM More reviews by kimannj

I selected yes to purchase this product again but I'm not sure - probably only in desperate circumstances. I bought this some time ago to use as a night cream, however found it too greasy and my skin was ok at the time so I didn't notice any difference. Recently with the cooler weather and increase in cold/wind and central heating indoors (probably also some over enthusiastic exfoliation) my skin has become quite sensitive and intolerant and it becomes red and sore very easily. I abandoned my usual routine and pared it down to the bare minimum with products for intolerant skin, and started using this cream at night to protect and repair my skin. It has helped quite a lot with consistent use over a week, however it has been making me break out in small, blind red bumps that do go away with attention (spot cream) but my skin hasn't broken out in this way or this frequently since I was a teenager 10 years ago. So perhaps this is an emergency product, and not for frequent use. Will try some more natural alternatives first.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2011 11:31:00 AM More reviews by sooyoungl

Since my early teens, I've been dealing with what I thought was perpetual bad skin. Acne, rosacea, little bumps on my cheeks, constantly flaking dry skin that just wouldn't go away - but now I'm 19 and my skin is finally smooth and clear! I'm not saying this is a miracle product, but this is my everyday moisturizer and it has been for two years! And I just realized it had mineral oil in it....and since I thought I had very acnegenic skin, I had been avoiding it like the plague.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2011 6:18:00 AM More reviews by GriffithsGirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This didn't do anything for me. I used it to calm down my redness and rebalance my skin but it did nothing except break me out, as did the Cleanance products. Avene hares my face!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2011 4:49:00 PM More reviews by avironneur

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

WHAT IS IT? Moisturizing cream for sensitive skin
INGREDIENTS: Water, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Cyclomethicone, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Squalane, Benzoic Acid, Carbomer, Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Triethanolamine
HOW DOES IT PERFORM? I had to be the odd man out but this cream, while providing adequate hydration and serving its intended purpose, also causes my face to immediately go red and blotchy minutes after application. I blame the butylene glycol as I experience a similar reaction when using Spectro Jel (Canadian mild silicone-based cleansing gel) which also contains butylene glycol as a principal ingredient. This cream has a gel-like texture and only a small amount is required to hydrate skin. This is best applied over wet skin. I personally broke out badly after using this for a week so I would be hesitant to recommend this to acne-prones although it did plump up my dry areas nicely and eliminate seborrheic dermatitis patches.
WOULD YOU BUY AGAIN? No - between the breakouts and the high price based on the ingredients, I cannot justify purchasing this again.
PRICE: $31.00 CAD for 40ml

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/16/2011 5:14:00 PM More reviews by cloudpaper

This cream is very gentle and does calm down the skin. the only problem is it using mineral oil as the main ingredients so it does not absorb properly into your skin and leaves oily face. It also clog your pores and i develop some whiteheads after three days using it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2011 5:10:00 AM More reviews by tinybucket

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been told that I have sensitive skin, not combination skin like I previously thought by a aesthetician. I was glad she told me because I'd been having a reaction to my regular Dr Hauschka routine (which has done amazing things for my skin too) but anyways I bought this cream and have had pretty troublefree skin ever since. I think it was intended to use until the skin reaction is calmed down but I use it about once everyday at least (sometimes I swap it with Hauschka, depending on the state of my skin). It doesn't feel greasy, sinks in and leaves my skin soft and healthy. Great product. Here in Europe the price is okay I think, about 15 euro for the 40 ml tube. Have repurchased this product and will keep it in my routine.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2011 7:55:00 AM More reviews by prairiegirl80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This cream literally saved my skin! I had a horrible allergic reaction from another product that left my face red and angry. I slathered on this cream before I went to bed and the next day my face was 70% better! I am in shock!! If you have extremely sensitive reactive skin like me, Give this a try :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2011 3:36:00 AM More reviews by Cripella

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

This is a review for the Rich version (Rich Skin Recovery Cream).

I have struggled to find a rich moisturiser for my very dry, VERY blemish-prone, mildly sensitive skin for years. All the rich moisturisers were comodogenic, and it just seemed to me like all the non-comodogenic/anti-acne products were geared towards oily skin types, so I just put up with those products and watched my skin spiral into pimply, flakey disrepair.

Then two months ago I decided to spend a little more than I normally would on a moisturiser (I'm but a poor uni student). The price point's a little much here in Australia, where it's AU$40 for a little 40mL tube (it's $31 at Chemist Warehouse though!). But it's worth every penny - my skin is happier and healthier than it has been in years, and no breakouts (except for the occasional pimple because of a topical antibiotic I'm using). It says to use it until your skin is back to its normal balance, but when I don't use it, my skin's still dry and tight. And realistically speaking, no moisturiser can permanently change your skin type.

My skin feels supple and balanced, perfectly hydrated but not at all greasy. This is quite possibly my HG moisturiser!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No