Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals in 1.2, fairly light

3.5

Lauroyl Lysine, Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI77891), Soil Minerals, Silica, Mica, Calcium Silicate (+/-): Zinc Oxide (CI77947), Iron Oxides (CI77491, CI77492, CI77499)

Been using this for a little over a year now, and with time and constant application, my skin has greatly improved even without the makeup. Don't know what I'd do without it!

To be fair, to get the cleanest and most natural look, you need to buy the primer as well, and let it set before applying. But it's worth it! Even my ruddy, pimply skin is no match for this stuff. Of course, it doesn't coer 100%, but nobody in their right mind can blame a makeup for not being photoshop.

Just be sure to not over-apply, or risk looking like a cakeface.

HGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHG

on 12/13/2011 3:29:00 AM

I thought I would like it, but I didn't. It has a strange texture compared to other mineral foundations. Doesn't have much coverage and it does a terrible job covering my pores. It actually somehow made my pores even more obviously. And the worse part is that it broke me out terribly. Absolutely hate it. Not going to purchase again.

on 11/10/2011 1:57:00 AM

Like I wrote in my review for their Mineral Veil, I used to like Bare Minerals up until a couple of years ago. The foundation just didn't work for me at all. Even though I have combo skin I'm a bit more on the oily side, but this foundation made my face feel like an oil slick. The product would tend to sit in the few lines I have and made my pores more noticeable. My mom and I began to refer to the Bare Minerals foundation as "Tin Man makeup", because we found it made the texture of our skin look a lot like the Tin Man's in The Wizard of Oz.

on 11/7/2011 6:59:00 PM

Would I buy this again? HMMM.... on the fence here. This is my first time trying a Mineral makeup, I just found out I could have gotten this in Matte rather than the Original as I purchased. I got it for my daughter which looks great on her ( age 18 ) but for me, ( age 46 ) I am having an itching issue. I have been told it may be the bismuth in the product? or my Kabuki brush. I am also having problems with this slipping off my face after several hours, I do moisturize, have not used the mineral veil however with it. As I said, I am NEW to this line, and the SA was not very knowledgable apparently. I am planning to try the Matte after this is used up, and see if Iike it any better.

on 10/24/2011 8:27:00 PM

I had spent years looking for a foundation that could cover my dark pigmentation marks, these are most noticeable on my forehead and chin and until I tried BE no product had the effect I was hoping for. I purchased the beginners kit after having the makeup applied in store, my husband was with me and said it was the first time he'd seen the pigmentation covered without the appearance of wearing heavy makeup. I was delighted to achieve the same results at home, I find the makeup extremely easy to apply and can even do it satisfactorily without a mirror while in the car (as a passenger) or on a train. The only two problems I encountered are that my skin reacted to the blush included in the starter kit but I purchased a different BE blush and had no problems with that, the second problem is the foundation settling into the slight wrinkles under my eyes, I am going to try using a primer to prevent this. The mineral veil is my favourite BE item, I started out using the normal one and then tried the illuminating version but it was a little too sparkly so I'm back to the original now, I will use the illuminating version for nights out. I have purchased some eye shadows which I think are great. The only issue I would have is the price of the product here in Ireland, it is not widely available and is quite expensive to buy where it is available so now I check the products out in store and order from QVC, maybe not the most honest way but purchasing from QVC is half the price including the postal costs. Another bonus is that the makeup is powder instead of liquid so no problem at the airports. To conclude I think it’s a great product and if you practise application it can almost give an airbrushed appearance and who wouldn't want that from our makeup.

on 10/22/2011 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I've always had rather dry skin and break out easily so I've always been an avid user of liquid foundations. However, they always emphasized the flakes around my forehead and nose. The last I used (and still use) is Guerlain Lingerie de Peau for which I had to shell out 63 CAD. While it worked well, it seriously feels like a second skin, it still somewhat emphasized the dryness and did cover pimples but not all that well.

However, I've been a lot more careful with my choices in makeup (i.e. I return anything that breaks me out to Sephora and am a lot more aware of products since coming to MUA regularly). I've also found a great moisturizer and so my skin is now nearly flawless. I do have some slightly red patches around my chin, very large pores on my forehead and blackheads on my chin and nose along with the occasional pimple. But I don't have any major skin issue, even the dryness has diminished a lot.

I've never thought of trying powder foundations but I did receive this as a sample from Sephora along with a brush and primer. I tried it as a finishing powder on top of my Guerlain foundation and looked cakey as hell. Also throw away the small brush, it's useless. I am so glad I gave this a try on its own (albeit on top of primer) because the results are magnificent. It does not look cakey at all, evens out my tone and covers all small imperfections. The color is fine for my as well as I am rather fair (NC15, Guerlain 02, ELDW 1.0, MUFE HD 115/117). It looks like I'm wearing absolutely nothing at all and gives me the most natural healthy 'glow from within' look. I can say for sure that this is my HG foundation. I do become a little oily towards the end of the day but after years of my skin drying out I won't even complain - I'll just get some blotting sheets or buy the matte version next time as I hear it controls oil better.

I can see why this has received low reviews. Get a sample from Sephora and don't buy if you have major imperfections to cover up or if you have oily or very dry skin. Otherwise, I highly recommend it and I've already managed to snag the last full size in stock!

on 10/1/2011 12:07:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Not a big fan of this product - no matter how I prep my skin, the product tends to cling to pores, furrows, or dry patches, highlighting those issues - not the look anyone is really going for. And it doesn't seem to make a difference how much blending w/a variety of brushes I do, it still looks cakey. The mineral veil alone over a ligth luminizer (I like Makeup Forever) works much better.

on 9/28/2011 1:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I used the Bare Minerals matte foundation (spf 15) and mineral veil. I find the foundation emphasizes pores and does not cover blackheads unless you put LOTS on which then makes it look cakey and unnatural. It does however make my face matte for longer than other makeups. But looking awful is not worth that. It also does not last all day, maybe 6 hours at the most.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

The very most magical concealer/foundation I have ever used. I hate foundation, it makes me feel gross, but this stuff is wonderful.

Super fine loose powder in a container that prevents you from over using (as long as you don't store it upside down)

I use it to camouflage red spots when they show up, I apply it using the flat dense brush they provided in the kit, it covers like a dream, hiding the spot completely without further irritating it. Definitely worth your money.

on 9/16/2011 6:49:00 PM

**I've only been using this product for 15 days. I'm still a little nervous that it's "too good to be true" and will update again in a few more weeks.

Also, my skin type is acne prone, fair, oily with dry spots, and extremely sensitive (allergic to pretty much everything).

BUT. . . as of right now, 15 days in, I'm amazed. I've had acne every day for 14 years, until using this makeup. My skin has cleared dramatically-- so dramatically that I've actually switched to their eyeshadow, blush, EVERYTHING, because I don't want to put anything else on my face. I did notice that I seemed to have a reaction when I put mineral veil on as a "primer" so I've stopped using it underneath the foundation and the reaction went away the next day. The foundation itself doesn't seem to irritate my skin at ALL and my skin tone is more even than it has been in years. I use their blemish therapy over my t zone (which has almost cleared up my blackheads) and it really keeps the oil at bay. Other than that, I just use bisque under my eyes and a light application of Fairly Light as both my foundation and concealer. The coverage is surprisingly good. It's not as great at covering as my old makeup, but it's TOTALLY worth the switch since my skin is clearing up so much. Right now, I'm using less than half the BE foundation I did in the first week-- I started doing 2-3 applications plus concealer, and now I just need 1 application because my skin tone is so much better. Last night when I walked out of the bathroom after washing my face, my husband commented on how "pretty and glowy" my face looked.

Just a couple of other tips-- I ditched their foundation brush, because it was scratchy and irritated my skin. I put on the foundation with my favorite Ecotools brush. No matter what brush you use, you do have to really buff the product in. I was worried at first that buffing would buff the product off, but it doesn't. It really melts it into the skin and gives me that airbrushed look.

I also think that this may turn out to be cheaper for me in the long run than the drug store mineral makeup I had been using, because the product goes so far and lasts so long.

I have never had skin like this. Ever. And trust me, I've tried tons of makeups, seen dermatologists, and tried a ridiculous amount of skin care products. Like I said, I'm terrified that this won't last and that I'll end up breaking out in horrible cystic acne like some have mentioned. But it looks like this may turn out to be my HG and the solution to my skin problems!

**UPDATE: My perfect skin only lasted three weeks, then my breakouts came back. I still have fewer blackheads and better overall skin tone. I don't blame the breakouts on BE since they are in the same exact areas I've been breaking out for over a decade, and there were other factors that definitely contributed (hormones, etc.). But I'm disappointed that it's not the miracle product it seemed to be in the beginning! After 6 weeks, I've began using my old foundation on days when my breakouts are particularly bad, as it gives better coverage

**UPDATE (again) I am an idiot. After writing my last update, it dawned on me that I had made a change in my skincare routine around the same time that I started breaking out again. I corrected that, and am happy to say that my beautiful bare minerals skin is back! I've been wearing BE for a few months now, and truly have never been happier with my skin.