Maybelline Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

Ingredients.Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polypropylsilsesquioxane, Ceresin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Caprylyl Methicone, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Alumina, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cyclomethicone, Propylene Carbonate, Candelilla Cera / Candelilla Wax / Cire De Candelilla, Caprylyl Glycol, C30-45 Alkyldimethylsilyl Polypropylsilsesquioxane, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Silica, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Tin Oxide, Acrylates Copolymer, Paraffin. May Contain: Mica, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, CI 19140 / Yellow 5 Lake, CI 16035 / Red 40 Lake, CI 77000 / Aluminum Powder, CI 77510 / Ferric Ferrocyanide, CI 75470 / Carmine, CI 42090 / Blue 1 Lake, CI 77400 / Bronze Powder, CI 77288 / Chromium Oxide Greens, CI 77289 / Chromium Hydroxide Green, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, CI 77400 / Copper Powder, CI 77163 / Bismuth Oxychloride, CI 77510 / Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide.. ...

on 8/1/2013 2:05:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

If you are blonde and want a brow product that isn't too dark or orange, don't want to spend 18+ dollars on a brow gel, want your eyebrows to stay all day and not easily rub off: try this!

Ok, so the color by itself can either look very flattering on some people but not so much on others. I love grays and taupes but due to dark circles I can't wear too much of them without looking sickly or as if I haven't slept enough.
What I ended up doing is I MIXING this color with MAC's paint pot in Painterly and the end result is an absolutely beautiful muted taupe (almost dark nude). ALSO I realized that this mix becomes a dupe for Bobbi Brown's cream eyeshadow in Cement which I was dying to buy but felt bad spending $25 for a tiny pot. SO if you enjoy color Cement and already have the Maybelline Tough as Taupe and MAC's Painterly, just mix them together!

Obviously, the end color result will vary depending on how much product you mix together, but just play around with it. Also, I find Bobbi Brown's cream eyeshadows a bit on a thinner side where if you mix Maybelline and MAC you'll a thicker, more opaque texture. I actually prefer that more.

on 7/30/2013 12:59:00 PM

im using this with an angled brush to fill in my brows. its too tacky to blend on my eyes and it creases. stays on my brows with slight fading only. try this if you have dark hair, on my brows this becomes less gray and more natural.

A matte grey-brown colour. Applies fairly well using fingers, though less creamy than my other Colour Tattoos. Works well as a base. Didn't find it particularly drying, and it was buildable.

on 7/27/2013 9:54:00 PM

As others have mentioned, these are pretty much dead on dupes for MAC's Paint Pots. I really love the color of this, as it's a nice and soft, matte grey. I like the simple glass pot packaging as well. And the price is not steep so it's not too much of a loss if you want to give them a try and they don't work out. However, as others have mentioned, because it is matte, it's more of a drier texture than others and does not blend easily. Also, it applies much better with a finger than any of my brushes, and I don't generally like to use my fingers for application. Additionally, if you have oily eyelids like me, these will probably end up in your crease after two hours or so. I love the consistency and finish of cream shadows but I should just give up trying to make them work. Unfortunately, no matter what brand (drugstore or department) of cream shadow I use, they never stay put. I was more optimistic with this one since it promised prolonged wear, but nope, it's staying power is the same as the rest. I used my faithful Too Faced Shadow Insurance primer with these and they still did't work for me. So if you're a gal with oily lids, trying to find a lasting cream shadow, the search continues.

on 7/27/2013 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

UPDATE (8/7/2014)
Man, do I love me some eyebrows. Over the past few months I've gotten even more obsessed with the brows, and now my technique has also improved a bit. This is a really quick and effective brow product now for me- one of my previous gripes about it. The pot itself seems to last ad infinitum- mine hasn't dried out, if not shrunk a bit. This is definitely my go-to brow product when I want my makeup to last- whether at prom, while swimming, on a hot day, while working out, etc. Definitely still the best match for my brows color-wise as well, and I highly recommend it for any brunettes or blondes with very cool-toned brows. Still love it.

_________
The Basics:
PROS: inexpensive, complex color, solid packaging, lots of product, travel-friendly, long-lasting, PERFECT BROW COLOR FOR COOL-TONED BRUNETTES
CONS: extremely quick drying time, difficult to control the opacity of the color, can appear chalky on the eyelids
Tough as Taupe is a beautiful grayish-brown with a bit of purple, and on the lids it appears a cool, purple-toned gray. I bought this product thinking that I would use it as an all-over lid color for some quick definition... Unfortunately, for a very fair, mascara-lip-balm-and-concealer kind of girl, this color was a little too statement/makeup-y for my everyday liking, as beautiful as it is. I had no idea what to do with it. Interestingly enough, I had recently gotten more into filling in my brows as a way to keep my makeup natural but polished, but I could not find a brow color to suit me. I'm very fair with dark hair, and my eyebrows near black-brown. All the brow colors I had - the Wet 'n' Wild kit, the Coastal Scents set, the Japonesque Brow Kit - were far too brown and far too warm, making my brows look suspiciously unnatural and reddish. I decided to try this on my brows and voila - a match made in heaven. This is totally undetectable (even on my fair skin and gaps in my brows), it dries matte, and it doesn't rub or smear. I love it. Make sure to remove the majority from the brush before doing the front of the brow (so it doesn't look too artificial), and blend with a spoolie as you go (as it dries quickly). Besides brows, this color is great on the lids, crease, or as liner so long as you work quickly and blend before it sets- because man, when it sets, it stays forever. Overall, very wonderful, versatile product. 4/5

on 6/30/2013 6:13:00 PM

This color is very matte and difficult to blend, but it works perfectly when used with a little of the shimmery white Color tattoo to smooth it out. I have oily eyelids, and I do find it creases if I don't use a primer first. I use a the Too Faced eye primer in the blue tube, let it set, then use the Taupe in my crease / as a contour, and use the shimmery white to blend it and in the inner corners. After letting that set, I put a little eyeshadow powder on top, and it seriously lasts all day and all night long.

I was ready to throw this away, BUUUT...I decided to read the reviews in here and give it a last try, tough as taupe to me is too dry and uneven , but I tried it on my eyebrows and it's perfect !!...no wearing off..before giving up on this one try it on eyebrows, it's great!..:-)

on 6/18/2013 11:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I bought a few of the color tattoo shadows, expecting Tough as Taupe to be my favorite as I'm a sucker for taupes and muted browns. Well, first off, this shade is NOT a true taupe when applied as it looks in the container. It's a matte GREY (think Copperplate by MAC), which is okay, but not the taupey color I was expecting (something close to Groundwork paint pot). It does not apply as smoothly as the other shades, so I cannot wear this by itself as I was hoping to since it does not go on evenly and wears off quite easily. I guess I will use it as a neutral base for layering shadows, because this thing does not look flattering on its own; it gives a tired/sullen look almost.

Just like all of the other color tattoos, I like this best applied with my fingertips. It is a drier formula than the other color tattoos but it has held up just as well as the other shades I bought as the same time (well over a year ago). Tough as Taupe should be called Good Ol' Grey in my opinion as it is a perfect cool toned, matte grey (no brown that I can see) that can be worn alone for a simple, matte look (always over a primer for me) or topped with shadows if you want a look with shimmer. My quick 2 minute eye look lately has been a medium brown in the crease, Tough as Taupe on my lids topped with a shimmery shadow (MAC Grand Entrance 90% of the time), liner, & mascara. If you want a quick, wearable "smokey eye" apply Tough as Taupe on your lid, a grey/black shadow in the outer corner, blend everything out with the crease color of your choice, add liner & mascara and you are good to go.