December 22, 2014 | 1458 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

rated 3 of 5 on 6/15/2013 7:02:00 PM More reviews by ellejay1616

Unfortunately cream eyeshadows do not work for me as my lids are very oily! Even if I use NARS eye primer under it I still see creasing by the end of the day. I wish I loved it because the colour is nice and very buildable. If I want it sheer I can do it, if I want it darker and bolder I can do that too. It does fade throughout the day, and with my oily lids it fades considerably. I do like to wear this under my lashline, or for a very simple barley there look I grab a angled brush and line my top lashline with this. The colour is nothing incredible, except the fact that it's matte and from the drugstore! I do LIKE the colour, and I'm sure the formula works for those with normal skin/lids. I would not repurchase just because it doesn't work my skin type, and I can replicate the barely there liner look with a powder eyeshadow. I don't think I'll ever be in a position to have to repurchase it because I barely use it and if I do it's only a little bit, so I probably won't run out haha.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2013 4:03:00 PM More reviews by violetfairygirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Tough as Taupe isn't super sexy or exciting, but I keep picking it back up. It's great for my everyday, I-totally-just-woke-up-like-this look that I can slap on without even thinking about it. It's a cream, not a shimmer, and goes on the lids a greyish brown. Some other reviewers have compared it to mud - that's not far off, but it turns out mud looks pretty good on my eyes. I use just a little bit all over the lid, building it up a little more towards the lashline and then blending it out at the crease. Sometimes I add liner, but that by itself gives my eyes some natural looking definition, and with a little mascara it's the perfect subtle work makeup. I have also used an eyeliner brush to blend a little onto my lower lashline, and it looks nice and soft, and not overly "done".

The texture is much dryer than some of the other Color Tattoos I own, and I've had the best luck applying it with my EcoTools concealer brush - the brush picks up a good amount of product, and it applies smoothly and evenly, then I finish blending it out with a fingertip. I have tried using another primer underneath, but it just seemed to make it harder to blend out. I get 4-6 hours before it creases, but since I usually wear it by itself, I can blend it out with a finger and keep it looking neat for a full work day.

Knocked off a point for the creasing and the dryer texture, but it's a solid workhorse that I keep on hand for those crazy panicked mornings (like, at least three times a week.)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2013 11:14:00 PM More reviews by tricyclesinskirts

For those having trouble blending these shadows, try using Sonia kashuk's duo fibre eye shadow brush. It works like a mini MAC 187--perfect for creams. I've been using Jessie's girl or fergie for WnW as a primer under cream/liquid shadows lately, and my supremely oily eyelids are crease-free for a good 8 hours.

Tough as taupe really went above and beyond the competitors by being double-duty. I have tried and set aside both benefit cream shadow and MAC paint pots, but I enjoy color tattoos. On my dark brown brows (neutral), tough as taupe is surprisingly awesome. It also makes a great base for my new favorite eyeliner, rimmel taupe. Wonderful combo for a bottom lash liner.

Even the packaging is wonderful, very sturdy. Highly recommended, for brows and eyes!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2013 9:13:00 PM More reviews by songy67

I'm an NC15, dark brown hair. I use Tough as Taupe on my eyebrows and it works phenomenally well. It's a great match, looks extremely natural, and stays put all day even on my oily skin. I had been eyeing the MUFE Aqua Brow when I realized all I needed was a matte cream product with neutral undertones. This product is waterproof as well and much cheaper than MUFE. For those who find it too "muddy" as an eyeshadow, might I suggest re-purposing it for your brows?

I personally enjoy it as an eyeshadow too and find it works very well with my skin tone. It's beautiful on its own and I tend to sheer it out all over the lid and build it up a bit in the outer crease. I also smudge it onto the outer corner of my lower lashline to enhance my eyes and give them depth. I find the best way to apply is with my fingers, which gives me the most control over both placement and color intensity. I tap it on first to place the color, then use a light touch to blend.

The first one I got months ago hasn't dried out on me yet. I store these on the side and once in a while I will take a clean tissue and wipe away a thin layer so the product stays creamy and easy to work with. It's such a good buy. I would recommend this to anyone.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2013 4:01:00 PM More reviews by mmherman

This was the first Maybelline Color Tattoo that I have bought, but it hasn't been the last. I have noticed the performance is different across the board. This one doesn't have the best performance, but it isn't horrible.

This is a muddy grey. It is hard to get it to apply evenly, but it is possibly to get it even. You just have to work with it. I find this works best when applied with a brush and you need to work with it pretty quick because it sets even quicker.

If is really hot it will crease and I find it works best and looks best with a grey powder setting it. I don't wear this often, but it does lend itself well to certain sultry looks. :)

rated 1 of 5 on 5/21/2013 2:51:00 PM More reviews by TigerBaby

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The Color Tattoo line sounded intriguing to me--I figured that the products would somewhat resemble Paint Pots in texture and appearance.
"Tough as Taupe" caught my eye one day as a was speeding through the makeup aisle.
The color through the jar appeared to be a very pretty purplish-tinged taupe,
so into my cart it went. Upon opening the jar, and running my (clean!) finger across the product surface, my jaw dropped open! The purplish taupe "skin" on top gave way
to the ugliest muddiest color that I'd ever laid eyes on.
Trying to be optimistic, I put some on my eyelids in hopes that this color looked better on me than in the jar. Not! Two very muddy looking eyes are what stared back at me,
and it took forever to get it off.
I just hope that I can dig up that receipt!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/21/2013 1:44:00 PM More reviews by rhody

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Terrible. Compared with the other tattoos, this has no staying power at all - it creases on me within a couple of hours. The colour is awful - more muddy than taupe. It is much darker than it looks in the pot. You could spend your hard-earned money on this, or you could rub some mud on your lids - it would have about the same result.

EDIT: I disliked this so much I gave it away.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2013 1:25:00 PM More reviews by misanders

Not happy with this product. Bought this in hopes that it would be a dupe for Mac's paint pots. And at first it seemed to work quite well. Unfortunately I've had this maybe 4 months and it is completely dried out and unworkable. I've had Mac paint pots a year and they are still creamy. For me I'd rather spend just a little more and have it last longer.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2013 3:29:00 PM More reviews by Makeupjunky14

When I first saw this, I thought i was getting a purple-ish color. When I rubbed my finger on it, the true color started to show. I was surprised. It is very creamy and stays on a very long time with a primer

rated 3 of 5 on 5/9/2013 10:37:00 PM More reviews by adrianna511

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I think they literally meant "tough" when they named this, because it's tough to get on. I also got this in "barely branded" which is part of the metal line. The barely branded one is actually nice to put on and glides on and is creamy. The tough taupe one is really thick and stiff and honestly kind of hard to put on and blend. I tried my finger and also brushes and it was kind of hard to put on. I wouldn't use it as a crease color or anything like that because it's so hard to blend but you could use it as a lid color or base I'm sure. Since I love the color so much I probably won't be returning it, I'll find a use for it. I might use it for my eyebrows. Maybe leaving it on a sunny windowsill would warm it up and make it easier to put on. But yeah, if you think it being thick and kind of hard to apply would really annoy you, you might want to steer clear of it. It stays on nicely though.