November 22, 2014 | 1704 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2013 9:13:00 PM More reviews by songy67

I'm an NC15, dark brown hair. I use Tough as Taupe on my eyebrows and it works phenomenally well. It's a great match, looks extremely natural, and stays put all day even on my oily skin. I had been eyeing the MUFE Aqua Brow when I realized all I needed was a matte cream product with neutral undertones. This product is waterproof as well and much cheaper than MUFE. For those who find it too "muddy" as an eyeshadow, might I suggest re-purposing it for your brows?

I personally enjoy it as an eyeshadow too and find it works very well with my skin tone. It's beautiful on its own and I tend to sheer it out all over the lid and build it up a bit in the outer crease. I also smudge it onto the outer corner of my lower lashline to enhance my eyes and give them depth. I find the best way to apply is with my fingers, which gives me the most control over both placement and color intensity. I tap it on first to place the color, then use a light touch to blend.

The first one I got months ago hasn't dried out on me yet. I store these on the side and once in a while I will take a clean tissue and wipe away a thin layer so the product stays creamy and easy to work with. It's such a good buy. I would recommend this to anyone.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2013 4:01:00 PM More reviews by mmherman

This was the first Maybelline Color Tattoo that I have bought, but it hasn't been the last. I have noticed the performance is different across the board. This one doesn't have the best performance, but it isn't horrible.

This is a muddy grey. It is hard to get it to apply evenly, but it is possibly to get it even. You just have to work with it. I find this works best when applied with a brush and you need to work with it pretty quick because it sets even quicker.

If is really hot it will crease and I find it works best and looks best with a grey powder setting it. I don't wear this often, but it does lend itself well to certain sultry looks. :)

rated 1 of 5 on 5/21/2013 2:51:00 PM More reviews by TigerBaby

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The Color Tattoo line sounded intriguing to me--I figured that the products would somewhat resemble Paint Pots in texture and appearance.
"Tough as Taupe" caught my eye one day as a was speeding through the makeup aisle.
The color through the jar appeared to be a very pretty purplish-tinged taupe,
so into my cart it went. Upon opening the jar, and running my (clean!) finger across the product surface, my jaw dropped open! The purplish taupe "skin" on top gave way
to the ugliest muddiest color that I'd ever laid eyes on.
Trying to be optimistic, I put some on my eyelids in hopes that this color looked better on me than in the jar. Not! Two very muddy looking eyes are what stared back at me,
and it took forever to get it off.
I just hope that I can dig up that receipt!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/21/2013 1:44:00 PM More reviews by rhody

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Terrible. Compared with the other tattoos, this has no staying power at all - it creases on me within a couple of hours. The colour is awful - more muddy than taupe. It is much darker than it looks in the pot. You could spend your hard-earned money on this, or you could rub some mud on your lids - it would have about the same result.

EDIT: I disliked this so much I gave it away.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2013 1:25:00 PM More reviews by misanders

Not happy with this product. Bought this in hopes that it would be a dupe for Mac's paint pots. And at first it seemed to work quite well. Unfortunately I've had this maybe 4 months and it is completely dried out and unworkable. I've had Mac paint pots a year and they are still creamy. For me I'd rather spend just a little more and have it last longer.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2013 3:29:00 PM More reviews by Makeupjunky14

When I first saw this, I thought i was getting a purple-ish color. When I rubbed my finger on it, the true color started to show. I was surprised. It is very creamy and stays on a very long time with a primer

rated 3 of 5 on 5/9/2013 10:37:00 PM More reviews by adrianna511

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I think they literally meant "tough" when they named this, because it's tough to get on. I also got this in "barely branded" which is part of the metal line. The barely branded one is actually nice to put on and glides on and is creamy. The tough taupe one is really thick and stiff and honestly kind of hard to put on and blend. I tried my finger and also brushes and it was kind of hard to put on. I wouldn't use it as a crease color or anything like that because it's so hard to blend but you could use it as a lid color or base I'm sure. Since I love the color so much I probably won't be returning it, I'll find a use for it. I might use it for my eyebrows. Maybe leaving it on a sunny windowsill would warm it up and make it easier to put on. But yeah, if you think it being thick and kind of hard to apply would really annoy you, you might want to steer clear of it. It stays on nicely though.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/9/2013 3:25:00 PM More reviews by peacefulheart

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Grey, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I do not like it as a shadow. The color was like concrete on me. I agree that many will be able to use it as a brow filler, but not me. There IS alot of product for the money, & that is a plus. Would not repurchase. I returned it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2013 8:39:00 AM More reviews by hotdg77

Personally I found this product extremely pigmented and found it best when applied with my fingers. It must be blended in quickly though because once it sets it won't budge! I really like how buildable it is, it can be sheered out to create a naturally defined eye or can be a dramatic grey smoky eye. It barely creases on me even when I don't apply a primer beforehand :) It was a lot cheaper than I had expected and I love this product so much!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/29/2013 3:15:00 PM More reviews by hotpa2d

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

The positive reviews have suckered me into buying this. This did not work for me at all! It remained a creamy texture throughout the day, and kept making these liquidy half-moons over my crease which I had to constantly keep blending in. Ugh, just a horrible product for me. The color is pasty looking to boot. I got it on sale, so it wasn't too difficult to toss it in the trash where it belongs.