April 21, 2014 | 1290 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2010 2:57:00 AM More reviews by blushingpale

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am so impressed with this drugstore find. This is a great blotting powder, finely milled with minimal color deposit or coverage, similar to Mac blot. I have it in Translucent and can't see any difference between using this or the lightest Mac blot, but this was $3.99 Cdn and Mac's is $27!!! Also, this was half the price of the closest drugstore alternative, and far less bulky.

I actually think the compact is cute - it's a very dark shiny charcoal grey. The two minuses (but not enough to deduct a lippie considering the price) are the lack of a proper hinge, and the cheap plastic pink sponge thing inside. I bought a separate little puff to use with it, which works well. And if the plastic piece that holds the compact together ever breaks, I'll just buy a new one!

Honestly, who wants to carry a $27 compact in their purse for oil blotting? This is perfect - not to mention more hygienic as I'll throw this out when it starts to get old, instead of hanging onto it for far too long as I've done with pricier compacts!

One note: You might want to buy the darker shade and not Translucent if you have a medium or golden skin tone, as this does have a very pale pinkish color, although as I said the color deposit is minimal. On my fair neutral-toned skin, it's perfect.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2010 12:33:00 AM More reviews by eanj

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Previously, the only pressed powder that I had ever used was Photogenic. I was, however, forced to find something else when I finished my last compact and discovered that the powder has been discontinued by Lancome.

I am very fair with pink undertones and it is no easy feat to find a foundation or powder to match my skin.I am happy with my current foundation. I wear Almay's Nearly Naked in the lightest shade, which matches me better than any of the high-end foundations that I have tried (e.g. Estee Lauder's Lucidity, Bobbi Brown's Natural Finish foundation, MAC's Studio Sculpt and Select, Prescriptives' Virtual Skin, etc.).I just need a sheer pressed powder to set my fdn in the morning and take care of a little shine in the mid-afternoon. I'm a bit dry, so it's important for me that a powder not dry out my skin or make me look chalky.

I tried Laura Mercier's transulecent setting powder, but I wasn't too impressed. It's OK, but nothing special considering the price. When I read the good reviews for NYC's pressed powder in translucent, I figured that it was worth a shot. Thanks, MUAers! I am a huge fan of this powder. It is far superior to the Laurier Mercier version and I may even like it better than Photogenic! I can't believe that a product which costs less than $3 can perform so well.

Ths NYC pressed powder goes on soooo smoothly and makes pores virtually disappear! It doesn't settle into fine lines and I love that it doesn't add any color to my face. It truly is translucent! I can't deny that the NYC compact is a bit cheap-looking and can be difficult to open and close, but I think that the powder it contains more than makes up for these issues.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2010 10:45:00 AM More reviews by botitas1977

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

AWWW This was the first powder I ever used. I was like in the 6th grade and going through that hardcore oil producing period on my face and this worked soooo nice! I am an nc40-nc42 and this matched me. After all my oil it turned my shade. IDK why i gave this up? Oh yeah, cuz I discored MAC and thought I was too good for NYC. lol. Def would buy again if I had to.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2010 9:30:00 AM More reviews by fuzzybluelogic

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this out of broke-ness and need when my foundation oxidized while out running errands.

Four months later, I'm about to hit pan. I LOVE this. It looks hella white and a bit pink in the pan but it blend perfectly on my NC10 yellow skin. It's super fine and doesn't cake AT ALL.

Just buy a pack of those little puffs from CVS or Ulta and you're good to go.

(I think I like this better than both my MAC Blot and MAC MSFN, shhh)

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2010 10:19:00 AM More reviews by careypiper

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I purchased two of these compacts one to keep with my makeup and one for my purse. I read the reviews about purchasing a better puff so that kind of sucked, but is so true. In my daily make-up routine I only use this under my eyes after foundation and before loose powder to brighten. It blends well but I usually forget this step when I'm in a rush, so it's not crucial. The one I keep in my purse is for blotting (use with a very light hand) but I find myself using it more just for the mirror. It's cheap, nice to have and I'd probably would repurchase it when I feel I need a fresh one. NW/NC 25 or Light-Medium with Neutral/Beige Undertone and I found this to be much lighter then my natural coloring.

continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2010 11:39:00 AM More reviews by leoisillon

I recently purchased this product based on all the great MUA reviews. At first I didn't like it because I thought it was a bit too translucent to the point to where it left my skin looking white. But a small amount of blending takes care of that problem for the most part. The product blends quite nicely and makes my oilies go buh-bye.I agree with everyone else on the packaging, but it's not the worst I've ever seen. It's just very basic, but for that price I won't complain. I will finish this one up and not repurchase. I prefer something that doesn't make my skin look pale. I have darker skin and this kind of "chalks" it out.

Edit: this product is growing on me! I lost the sponge (meaning I trashed it) and started using a portable kabuki brush to apply just a little bit on my t-zone. I love the results!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2010 7:06:00 PM More reviews by jusbeinme263

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this powder! It mattes out your foundation and is not powdery. It's definitely translucent,it has no color to it. I really like it, a very nice product for the inexpensive price.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2010 6:56:00 PM More reviews by breathecaroline

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Despite it's cheap packaging and cheap price, it's really good. I expected it to look chalky on my skin since I got it in Translucent but it didn't. It blended right in and looked invisible. It also set my concealer and foundation and lasted a long time. But, I probably won't buy again because of the cheap packaging. I can't take it anywhere without worrying it's going to break.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2010 6:13:00 PM More reviews by pxcrunnercat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I use this product every day! I have very oily skin and even with exfoliation, blotting sheets, and powder, I still get shiny within an hour or so of doing myself up. This powder doesn't fix that, but it makes my skin look good for a while. That's really the best I can ask for, as I know there is no "miracle" product that is going to make my skin stop producing oil. However, this powder makes me matte for a while, is invisible on my skin (unless I really dump it on), doesn't break me out, and is very inexpensive. I will continue to repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2010 4:52:00 PM More reviews by fitmom2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have the loose powder in this, and I must say..this is trully a little fortune inside this compact.

My other "cheaper" powder brand is and has always been Coty powder (which I cannot find in ANY drugstores right now---hope it's not discontinued)...anyhow, Coty is HUGE, and COVERS just as well (a bit more) and doesn't come off TOO chalky--but NYC is actually right about the same..but silkier..making this almost my #1 powder!! And this is the best cheapest powder you will find!

I'm tan a bit, but I use bronzer anyways. Ladies, if you are tan or dark...you can still use this..just mix it with some darker powder or use Bronzer all over your face AFTER applying this stuff ontop of your foundation.

This works REALLY well with GOOD quality foundation.

I use Hard Candy Primor first (simply the best and now sold at Walmart for just $8.00!!),

Then I use Estee Lauder Double Wear (BEST for oily/acne prone skin..not to mention-Fantasitc coverage!)

Then I use THIS NYC powder to set...and omg..simply flawless--and for hours and hours..:)

I don't mind that the packaging is cheap..because most compacts are in drugstores..but yes, this one is a bit "cheaper". But i have the loose and the compact now. And I just put my compact along in my purse..and hardly need to use it, due to this stuff lasts a LONG way!

What a wonderful product..there are SOME misunderstood makeup out there..however, THIS is one that many should be using..:)