September 21, 2014 | 1918 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 7/13/2010 3:51:00 PM More reviews by kenka

it was really dry!!!!!!!!!!!!!, mm not a good quality over all

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2010 6:16:00 PM More reviews by shelbythezebra

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

When I went into CVS, it was my mission to find the cheapest pressed powder available, and when I found this, I was not expecting anything at all, but for three dollars, I bought it anyways. I'm glad that I bought it, because this is a STEAL. The packaging it not good at all, and I'm always afraid that I'll break it, but it has a big mirror and it's good for bringing to school. I use this like blot powder, and it's easy to use halfway thought the day when my nose gets oily. The applicator it comes with is a little pathetic, but i use a brush to apply this, and I only use the applicator when I'm at school, and it does a good job. I wish I knew about this product before I bought $12 neutrogena pressed powder!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2010 9:13:00 PM More reviews by bigbu

I never use Mac Blot so I cant really tell the different but I like it so far. I bought it for summer time and was very happy with the price. My skin is sensitive but it doesnt break me out. My skin is dark, I bought the translucent one, it looked a bit white on my face first but after about 15 mins it set on my face. It's a good blotting powder and I does a good job what its supposed to be. I dont like the package, I wish I can take it off and put it in a nicer one. And the sponge comes with it is useless.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2010 6:57:00 PM More reviews by ImaJedi

I LOVE this thing! I use it for so many things. Touch ups are great with this. You don't get a caked on look and it blends it really well with your current make up. I would never use it alone since it does go on a bit flaky - I don't know why, but it's easy to work with in my routine. Packaging is crap, but who cares - it's 1.99. :)

rated 2 of 5 on 6/15/2010 6:25:00 PM More reviews by Rouquine25

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

With this stuff, you get what you pay for. It's chalky, the applicator is ridiculous, and I think it made me break out. I'm glad I didn't lose very much money, but I recommend that you don't waste your time with this one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2010 2:57:00 AM More reviews by blushingpale

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am so impressed with this drugstore find. This is a great blotting powder, finely milled with minimal color deposit or coverage, similar to Mac blot. I have it in Translucent and can't see any difference between using this or the lightest Mac blot, but this was $3.99 Cdn and Mac's is $27!!! Also, this was half the price of the closest drugstore alternative, and far less bulky.

I actually think the compact is cute - it's a very dark shiny charcoal grey. The two minuses (but not enough to deduct a lippie considering the price) are the lack of a proper hinge, and the cheap plastic pink sponge thing inside. I bought a separate little puff to use with it, which works well. And if the plastic piece that holds the compact together ever breaks, I'll just buy a new one!

Honestly, who wants to carry a $27 compact in their purse for oil blotting? This is perfect - not to mention more hygienic as I'll throw this out when it starts to get old, instead of hanging onto it for far too long as I've done with pricier compacts!

One note: You might want to buy the darker shade and not Translucent if you have a medium or golden skin tone, as this does have a very pale pinkish color, although as I said the color deposit is minimal. On my fair neutral-toned skin, it's perfect.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2010 12:33:00 AM More reviews by eanj

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Previously, the only pressed powder that I had ever used was Photogenic. I was, however, forced to find something else when I finished my last compact and discovered that the powder has been discontinued by Lancome.

I am very fair with pink undertones and it is no easy feat to find a foundation or powder to match my skin.I am happy with my current foundation. I wear Almay's Nearly Naked in the lightest shade, which matches me better than any of the high-end foundations that I have tried (e.g. Estee Lauder's Lucidity, Bobbi Brown's Natural Finish foundation, MAC's Studio Sculpt and Select, Prescriptives' Virtual Skin, etc.).I just need a sheer pressed powder to set my fdn in the morning and take care of a little shine in the mid-afternoon. I'm a bit dry, so it's important for me that a powder not dry out my skin or make me look chalky.

I tried Laura Mercier's transulecent setting powder, but I wasn't too impressed. It's OK, but nothing special considering the price. When I read the good reviews for NYC's pressed powder in translucent, I figured that it was worth a shot. Thanks, MUAers! I am a huge fan of this powder. It is far superior to the Laurier Mercier version and I may even like it better than Photogenic! I can't believe that a product which costs less than $3 can perform so well.

Ths NYC pressed powder goes on soooo smoothly and makes pores virtually disappear! It doesn't settle into fine lines and I love that it doesn't add any color to my face. It truly is translucent! I can't deny that the NYC compact is a bit cheap-looking and can be difficult to open and close, but I think that the powder it contains more than makes up for these issues.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2010 10:45:00 AM More reviews by botitas1977

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

AWWW This was the first powder I ever used. I was like in the 6th grade and going through that hardcore oil producing period on my face and this worked soooo nice! I am an nc40-nc42 and this matched me. After all my oil it turned my shade. IDK why i gave this up? Oh yeah, cuz I discored MAC and thought I was too good for NYC. lol. Def would buy again if I had to.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2010 9:30:00 AM More reviews by fuzzybluelogic

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this out of broke-ness and need when my foundation oxidized while out running errands.

Four months later, I'm about to hit pan. I LOVE this. It looks hella white and a bit pink in the pan but it blend perfectly on my NC10 yellow skin. It's super fine and doesn't cake AT ALL.

Just buy a pack of those little puffs from CVS or Ulta and you're good to go.

(I think I like this better than both my MAC Blot and MAC MSFN, shhh)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2010 10:19:00 AM More reviews by careypiper

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I purchased two of these compacts one to keep with my makeup and one for my purse. I read the reviews about purchasing a better puff so that kind of sucked, but is so true. In my daily make-up routine I only use this under my eyes after foundation and before loose powder to brighten. It blends well but I usually forget this step when I'm in a rush, so it's not crucial. The one I keep in my purse is for blotting (use with a very light hand) but I find myself using it more just for the mirror. It's cheap, nice to have and I'd probably would repurchase it when I feel I need a fresh one. NW/NC 25 or Light-Medium with Neutral/Beige Undertone and I found this to be much lighter then my natural coloring.

continued >>