Chanel Vitalumiere

3.9

water, ethylhexyl palmitate, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, cyclomethicone, talc, caprylic/capric triglyceride, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, HDI/trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, propylene glycol, PEG-30 dipolyhydroxystearate, glycerin, butylene glycol, phenoxyethanol, fragrance, methylparaben, disteardimmonium hectorite, disodium stearoyl glutamate, polyglyceryl-3 beeswax, propylparaben, tocopherol, lecithin, ascorbyl palmitate, glyceryl stearate, alcohol denat., walnut seed, silica, laminaria digitata extract, glyceryl oleate, sodium hyaluronate, aluminum hydroxide, citric acid, sodium metabisulfate, BHT, licorice extract, butylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben.

on 12/27/2012 3:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I really liked this foundation. I read it was reformulated? recently so I may be reviewing the original formula, I'm not sure.
I got this foundation as a gift from a friend but unfortunately, the color was wayyyy too light (I'm a MAC NC 35/40 and I got the shade Limpide Nude .5) and so wanting to try this out anyway, I would either wear it alone with a darker powder/bronzer on top or mix with a foundation that was too dark for me. Both ways came out great which means this foundation formula plays well with others. Awesome!

I really like the heavy glass bottle with the hygienic pump. I loved applying it to my face, either with my fingers or a foundation brush. My skin was left dewy and natural. It didn't oxidize at all and smelled lovely. I'd say the coverage is light yet very buildable. Unfortunately for me, I have oily skin and my skin was *incredibly* shiny an hour later even with powder on top. I can't even get away with wearing this in the winter when my skin is more combination.

The range of shades is excellent and I want to try this out (actually, the Vitalumiere Aqua looks like it'd work for my skin) in a shade that matches. Oh well, up for swap it goes!
(oh and I've uploaded a swatch for reference as the shade Limpide Nude is hard to find I hear.)
If my review helped you, click yes below!

on 12/19/2012 4:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I purchased my first bottle of this foundation several years ago and didn't like it because it was too dewy. Hearing that this was reformulated, I decided to give it another try. This version is much better, and I really like it overall. I would describe it as medium coverage with a natural finish. I have combination skin, and this looks good over both dry and oily areas. It gets a bit oily in the t-zone (i don't use powder), but I'll take this trade off for the way it wears so well in the drier areas. It does not accentuate flakes and does not accumulate in lines. It is also pretty long wearing, lasting until I'm ready to take it off at the end of the day. I wear shade 20, which is a great match for nc20-25. I have tried applying it with a sponge, foundation brush, and stippling brush, and all work well. The cons are that it has a fragrance, the sunscreen is not broad spectrum, it is expensive, and comes in a glass bottle (some might like this).

On a side note, I have been trying several foundations over the past months. It seems like most newer foundations have a quality that I really don't like - the seem to make my skin look worse by accentuating uneven texture on my cheeks to where every little bump/pore shows. My skin does not have this appearance without these types of foundation. Examples are Benefit Hello Flawless, NARS sheer matte and sheer glow, Armani LSF, Bobbi Brown Skin, and MUFE HD liquid. These types of foundation also feel tacky to me. Whatever the ingredients are that make me hate these foundations, this Chanel foundation does not have. I am glad to have found a foundation that isn't like this! If you have the same problems with newer foundations, I suggest trying Vitalumiere.

on 12/5/2012 4:23:00 PM

I bought this because I had been told by more than one makeup artist that this foundation is good for maturing skin. It's good if you have really dry non-sensitive skin. Within 15 minutes my skin was super oily and I was breaking out like I did when I was a teenager.Every pore on my face was magnified as well.

on 12/1/2012 12:04:00 AM

I bought this foundation in summer and found it too greasy. However, now that winter is here it is absolutely perfect. My usual foundation sticks to my dry patches but this one makes me look radiant and dewy. Great for dehydrated winter skin.

on 11/25/2012 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Finally found what I've been looking for for years! I dewy foundation that stays on my super dry skin. I am in love! If you have dry to very dry skin and are looking for a super moisturized, dewy, glowing look than this is worth every penny. If you have oily skin it might be too dewy for you, so try the Vitalumiere Aqua instead. But my dry skin glows in this foundation!! So dewy and moisturizing!

on 11/18/2012 3:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This foundation would make me very anxious before application. This finish on my skin would vary and change like night and day based on how the condition of my skin was on any given day. I found that if I was already having a glowy pretty skin day, then the foundation looked fab, but if i needed a perk up when my skin was looking rough, it looked awful. It could look very dry and cakey and oily all at once, but when it was good it was great. Dewey, and fresh, and youthful, all at once! Oh and It smells wonderful and is easy enough to apply, so I think that I would purchase this again.

on 11/8/2012 12:27:00 AM

I first bought Vitalumiere in color #20 Clair. This seemed to be my color - it's a bit confusing because I have freckles and some color in my face and visible chest area. I was a bit disappointed because of lack of coverage and it seemed a bit yellow when I was first applying it (although I must admit, after blending onto face, the yellowness was not an issue). As for the very dewy finish, this was fine as I have quite dry skin.

I spoke to one of the assistants at the Chanel counter in David Jones about the color and she advised that #20 was too light for me.
I ordered #32 Epice. When I first received it, I was shocked on applying it to my hand - seemed way ORANGE almost!! But again, after blending, it seemed less shocking. In fact, when I applied it to my face it was wonderful. Blended nicely and covered freckles brilliantly! and was not too dark or weird at all. So I will have to wear it for a bit to decide whether this is The One (foundation love of my life), or if I need to keep looking... :) But I'm quite happy as I sit here and I think it will be good foundation for me going into summer.

on 11/3/2012 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

PROS: sheer, moisturizing, illuminating
CONS: doesn't work for full coverage needs. color selection limited (yellow tones only), requires lots of chasing and powdering for professional use. can be too shiny for HD
BEST FOR: yellow skin tones, dry skin, sheer coverage, print work.
For the right skintype/skin tone/lighting its one of my favorites! But does NOT work on all my clients and I am very choosey in what lighting and photographic medium I will use it in.

on 11/1/2012 4:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This foundation does not work for me because I have oily skin and I need at least a little coverage. I know this is not for people with my type of skin, so I'm not going to give it one star, which sums up how it is for me.

First, this is supposed to be very hydrating. And it is. When I put it on, dehydrated areas of my oily skin felt amazing. As you might expect, that also means this leaves a very dewy finish. This is something people with oily skin will most likely not be able to tolerate.

The consistency speaks for the hydration, as it is rather runny. It blends in beautifully,

Second, this is for extremely sheer coverage. And when I say sheer, I really mean it. I know some people think Vitalumiere Aqua has no coverage, but trust me -- you can get some coverage out of it. What will not give you coverage is this. You can layer it and it will do nothing! This foundation has a remarkable way of looking like your second skin, which is lovely but also saddening if you want some coverage. There's a general evening-out of skin tone and a beautiful glow, but that's about it. Hyperpigmentation on any level, as well as blemishes in general, will not be covered.This is definitely, as some say, for people who already have good skin.

I can't say anything about lasting coverage just because when I saw how sheer the coverage was (layering did nothing but make things look a bit cakey), I put something else over it.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I got a sample of this from Debenhams (a Department Store in England) and have used it today. I was given the sample in nude and when I put it on it looked too yellow, but after applying it with a brush the colour did look suitable for my skin as it seemed to change once applied. I am really disappointed as it makes my face looks shiny as if I have a sweaty/greasy face. They did not have samples of Aqua Vitalumiere so the Chanel adviser did my face with it and I didn't like that either. Not enough coverage and again too shiny.

I put a review on here about EL Double Wear which I hated and asked if anyone could suggest a good medium/full coverage foundation to be used without powder. This was one of the suggestions but as I say I do not like it at all. I have good skin with no blemishes but now I am older I have a few small age spots which I want to cover up and also since stopping HRT my skin is drier. I have stopped using powder since my skin has changed as it makes your skin look older and more wrinkly.

I need a foundation which is not shiny, but not completely matte as that makes your skin look very flat and dead which makes you look older. I need good coverage without being too heavy and with a slight dewiness. I have tried quite a few samples now and am getting fed up with not finding anything suitable! I would be grateful if anyone can advise me of a suitable foundation. It would need to be something available in the UK. Thank you for your help.