November 21, 2014 | 1787 users online

Shampoo - John Frieda - Sheer Blonde Highlighting Shampoo

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2008 10:41:00 PM More reviews by BRANDI7013

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

The only reason I buy this stuff is because it smells amazing! Its not that brilliant of a shampoo (a little drying!) And, I have thick wavy at times oily hair. So, for it to be drying- it really has to be drying! I just bought the shampoo first go around and ended up buying the conditioner because I actually needed it! Usually, my hair has so much 'oil' that it doesn't need a condtioner! But, overall, because of the smell I will keep buying!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2008 12:29:00 AM More reviews by haleygreen33

i find that i keep coming back to this. it's pretty great.
for the record, i have oily, almost boob length hair. it's somewhere between light brown and dark blonde; i haven't decided yet. it's also somewhere between wavy and straight...basically it has a mind of its own. so even though i'm technically probably closer to brunette than blonde, the sheer blonde really does highlight my highlights...
i like the smell, especially because it's not overpowering.
it makes my hair shiny, smooth, and best of all, soft.
a major plus for me is that i only have to wash it once for it to be clean: usually, i have to lather, rinse, repeat or i get greasy within hours. so i definitely could see this being drying to anyone with naturally drier hair. it works great for me though!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2008 2:41:00 PM More reviews by VVenus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Looooooooove this, for a not-all-natural product... :)
It dries your hair out a little bit, and does anyone else notice is smells like popcorn!??? Not bad though.
It does highlight 'activate' your hair!!! It is not terribbly expensive either.
I like that it removes those impurities to let the blonde shine through.
I like john frieda tooo ;)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2007 6:42:00 PM More reviews by Eleven

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I find this gently cleanses my hair and adds back some moisture. I usually only use salon products so for a drugstore offering this is very good. I have already repurchased.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2007 9:14:00 PM More reviews by cainca

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This shampoo is very, very drying. I used one bottle of this after getting it as a gift in my Christmas stocking last year and REALLY hated it. I have pale highlighted blonde hair. This is possibly one of the single worst shempoos Ive ever used as my hair looks terrible after only one use of this stuff. It looks dry, flyaway, stripped and feels truly terrible (usually it is in GREAT shape). Avoid this shampoo at all costs ... its throwing your money away.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/8/2007 10:39:00 AM More reviews by kiwieyes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This shampoo just doesn't do it for me. My hair looks really nice right out of the shower, but the day after it's instantly greasy. I like the scent though, but that's not enough to excuse the rest.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2007 9:24:00 AM More reviews by cutter333

I was pleasantly surprised by this shampoo. I am very picky about what I use on my hair and typically avoid drugstore hair products. But this, along with the conditioner, are hidden gems. I have shoulder length, highlighted hair that is very fine. I found that this shampoo did not weigh my hair down and gave good movement. While it didnít obvisouly enhance my highlights I think a shampoo like this helps keep impurities from impacting your highlights. Overall a good purchase to rotate with other shampoos.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/9/2007 10:46:00 AM More reviews by qkellie

I don't know why I keep getting sucked into Sheer Blonde products. Just because I'm a blonde doesn't mean these are the best hair care products for me, and they're SO clearly not! The reformulated shampoo makes my hair very, very bright, but also waaaaay too dry! I have naturally frizzy hair, and my highlights make it even frizzier, so I really need something smoothing. Even the SB moisturizing line is not smoothing enough! If you have frizzies, you're better off with John Frieda's Frizz Ease line, either for straightening or defining curls. The color-specific stuff might be good for your color, but not your hair's overall condition. Plus, the tiny tubes are just so small. I feel like I go through a bottle a week.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2007 3:15:00 PM More reviews by sally35

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is pretty much my regular shampoo. I have waist-length, very fine, naturally blonde (with added highlights) hair. Before this shampoo, I always had a problem with hard water deposits dulling my hair (at least this is my theory, as I don't use a lot of hair products, so I don't think it is that and I AM a trained scientist... :)). After a long winter with no sun, my hair always looked very dull & dirty (I swear I washed it!). This shampoo seems to eliminate the build-up & really does "let the blonde shine through". I don't love the smell (smells kind of chemically) & I think it is a bit drying. Given that my hair is normally really soft & fine, the drying effect actually seems to give me a bit more structure & body, but I wouldn't recommend it for already dry hair. I have also tried the Pantene Blonde shampoo & the Aveda version, but liked Sheer Blonde much better. I, of course, buy about 5 other shampoos a month to try too, but keep coming back to the Sheer Blonde. Lately I've been alternating with the L'Oreal Nutrigloss shampoo as I've taken a liking to that too. As Sheer Blonde is $4.99 at Target, I will undoubtedly keep buying it.

Update: After a couple of years of use, and experimenting with other products, I determined that this shampoo was seriously drying my hair out. I have since stopped using it & am noticing way less frizz, less breakage & no crispy ends. Sadly, I gave away my remaining stash of this & have permanently switched to way less harsh shampoos. :(

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2007 9:34:00 PM More reviews by princess_eab

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This shampoo is very, very drying and the conditioner is nothing to write home about, either. I used one bottle of this and hated it. I have pale strawberry blonde hair. You would be better off buying a natural, sulfate-free shampoo that will brighten and preserve highlights without drying out your hair. In fact the sulfates in here will strip highlights faster than anything else.... just tried it again and I remembered that the worst thing about it is my itchy scalp, similar to Dove's Intense Moisture Shampoo.... I think the silicones build up.