November 25, 2014 | 1726 users online

Liquid - Smashbox - Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Fdt.

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2013 2:12:00 PM More reviews by sitknee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'd heard this foundation was good because it controlled oil without being drying. Unfortunately, I didn't feel the same way, though I do have dehydrated oily skin.

I got this in 1.2, which was light but didn't seem too far off. I'm NC20-25 and I feel like 1.2 was around NC20. I'm guessing 2.1 would have been a better match but I'm not too sure.

This product has a thin consistency and I feel that the coverage is on the lighter side. I thought it was buildable to an almost medium, but there is nothing full going on here. I have plenty of hyperpigmentation issues and I was surprised to see how poorly this product covered them -- I saw blemishes peeking through even when I layered. I never try to cover everything, as that's impossible, but my usual foundations do a pretty good job of getting most of my problems. This, however, failed in that aspect. I feel like the coverage is better for evening out skin tone more than covering acne scars.

The foundation can look very pretty and natural, but of course, that depends on how much coverage you want to build up. For what I was going for, I didn't look quite as natural as I might have wanted to (probably because I had to build a bit just to get decent coverage of blemishes). The finish did look nice and smooth, and I didn't experience any accentuation of dry patches. At the same time, while this does not feel drying upon initial application, my skin did feel parched and tight after a few minutes. There is no alcohol in the formula but I am finding that there are certainly other ingredients that can lead to these types of issues (I've recently come across 3-4 products like this).

In terms of oil control and lasting power, they were okay but not as good as I would want them to be. I did get oily after a couple of hours and the foundation faded after several hours. I was disappointed to see that the product broke down around my nose and chin area around the time the oil started to break through.

Overall, a miss for me. Worth trying if you don't have too many issues to cover and aren't dehydrated.

Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trimethyl Pentaphenyl Trisiloxane, Silica, Phenyl Trimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Tribehenin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycerin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Methicone, Tetramethyl Hexaphenyl Tetrasiloxane, Phenyl Methicone, Dimethicone, Laureth-7, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cellulose Gum, Propylene Carbonate, Alumina, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone Silylate, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin. May contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), ILN37941.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/11/2013 1:40:00 PM More reviews by melissita13

I would say this foundation is more of a sheer-medium-ish coverage. Evens out the skin tone, dulls out my acne scars. I have oilier skin, and it holds up ok, i still have to blot like with any other foundation. Pretty good staying power, doesnt tranfer or rub off even after a 9 hour work day. HOWEVER. Taking it off is an adventure. The first time i took it off i used a wipe and cleansed with my clarisonic after, usually the wipe takes off most of the foundation. Not with this. My clarisonic was completely brown, has never happened to me before. So you REALLy have to cleanse. Overall it does the job for now.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/9/2013 5:19:00 PM More reviews by brisc

I don't recommend this foundation to anyone with sensitive acne-prone skin. I unfortunately used this foundation for a long time before realizing it was the cause of all my breakouts. Its a heavy foundation that does not cover well. After a few hours of wearing it, I couldn't wait to get home and remove it. It just sucks. The only positive thing was the yellow tone is had to it so it matched my skin pretty well.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2013 4:19:00 PM More reviews by cbm618

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with this foundation.

My skin has red undertones, is combination (oily along the cheeks and nose, dry around the mouth), and acne prone. My ideal foundation (which I've yet to find) would give me an even skin tone, not stick to dry patches, not slick right off of oily patches, and give a soft, dewy finish while diminishing the appearance of spots.

So far, this is the closest I've got to that description for a foundation. It's definitely long wearing. It gives me a nice dewy finish without looking oily. I definitely get an even skin tone, but my spots (if they're worse than usual) still show through. I do start with a green primer and concealer, so that helps give me that nice even look. I usually use a dense stippling brush and work in sections. Very nice application with that method. No noticeable smell.

My only complaint is that it can stick to dry patches and, during the summer, gets very shiny all over. Now, I admit, I can control the dry patches by being better about exfoliating, but the shiny isn't so good. I hate blotting or adding powder as my skin gets weird after (and that's with all foundations, not just this one). So, I don't blot or powder. And then I'm left with an oil slick. But, at least it stays where I put it!

Overall, it's a lot better than Revlon Colorstay (my previous HG), but as with most junkies I'm always looking for the next best thing. I'll repurchase if I can't find anything better at a reasonable price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2013 1:27:00 PM More reviews by dbmiller

I really like this. I don't know why it's such a difficult concept for drugstore foundations to make a long-wearing formula that doesn't cake and dry your skin out, but I haven't had any luck with this except for high-end foundations. Good coverage, lasts a long time, allows touch-ups, has SPF and a pump! I got 2.2 and it works well for my NC25-NC30 skintone.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by Lms526

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

Yesterday, I had some time before work and went into Sephora to repurchase my Makeup Forever Mat Velvet, because I didn't want to run out. The SA who checked me out, asked if she could get me a sample of anything. I asked for a sample of this. According to my Color IQ number (1Y07) I was matched to shade 2.2, so that's the one I requested a sample of.

To be honest, there isn't a whole lot I liked about this foundation.

COLOR: The color was good in terms of not being too light or too dark. But I think this foundation is definitely geared towards people with yellowish undertones. My skin is light-medium with cool undertones. As a result, this foundation looked very yellow on me.

COVERAGE: Other reviewers have stated this is a medium to full coverage foundation. I don't agree. In my opinion, this gives light to barely medium coverage. Definitely not as good as my Makeup Forever Mat Velvet. I also found this foundation extremely difficult to blend. I like fast drying foundations, but this one dries almost as soon as it touches your skin. No matter how much I tried to blend it, it never really cooperated. It basically just sat on the surface of my skin. Due to a genetic disease, I have alot of redness and small bumps on my face, which make me very self-conscious. This foundation did almost nothing to cover the redness, and emphasized every bump on my face. Definitely not the look I was hoping for.

BUILDABLE: In my humble opinion, this foundation is not AT ALL buildable. One layer doesn't cover much of anything, but attempting to use any more than that makes it look heavy, cakey, and very unnatural. It took me 3x as long as normal to apply my makeup. And I absolutely hated the results when I was done. There was no way I was gong to work looking that way. So I removed it and reapplied my Mat Velvet. In my opinion, the Mat Velvet is superior in regards to coverage, looking natural, and buildability. I can't realy say if it stays on 15 hours or not, because I didn't leave it on for more than about 10 minutes. I would recommend this foundation to people with yellowish skin tones and no major flaws. But if you have any type of scars, bumps, or fine lines, I wouldn't recommend this foundation.

I'm glad I only got a sample of this rather than splurging on a full-size bottle off the bat. I'm glad I tried it, but I won't be purchasing a full-sized bottle, and intend to stick with the Mat Velvet.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/8/2013 2:27:00 PM More reviews by briella86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been searching for a liquid foundation for my oily skin. I thought that this would be it after reading reviews but I will be returning my bottle. It caked up and looked like a mess after a few hours. While it did great at keeping the oil at bay it just looked so unnatural. I tried applying with a beauty blender as well as fingers, both turned into a mask. I really wanted to love this. Oh well.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/7/2013 11:48:00 PM More reviews by varamos0193

I really really wanted to like this product but it just wouldn't dry. I even put setting powder on top and 4 hrs later I accidently (barely) touched my cheek when I was fixing my mascara and it smeared off. ive NEVER had this issue with even my drugstore back ups. also, I put about 1-2 pumps for my entire face and still felt heavy and wet on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2013 3:04:00 PM More reviews by dawny1980

this is my hd foundation. i am really pale and use 1.1 which is the perfect match for me. after years of searching for the perfect foundation i found this and will never change brands again. it is slighty expensive but if you order sirect from smashbox you usually get a decent sized free sample of another product and you only need to use a little so it really is better value than you would first think. one pump is all you need for a medium coverage. it blends well and covers pores and impurities well and also does not break me out. it evens out my combimation skin and looks amazing all day. it goes on velvety smooth and you need very little for good coverage. i use this with smashbox photo finish primer and set it with a light dusting of mac mineralise natural powder in light. can't say enough good things about this foundation, it is superb.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2013 11:45:00 PM More reviews by why1981

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am an African American woman. I am super oily! I was looking for a transfer resistant foundation and came across this product. Not only is it transfer resistant but it also mattes my skin! Amaaaaazing! Now I can touch my face again without getting spots all over everything.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No