July 31, 2014 | 1016 users online

Liquid - Illamasqua - Skin Base foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2012 7:47:00 AM More reviews by thealmightyboots

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm surprised this hasn't received better reviews...It's the best foundation I've ever found!
When I first bought it and opened the packaging I felt a bit ripped off, as it seemed like such a small amount in such a flimsy little plastic bottle. However it contains 30ml of product, which is the same as...well, every other foundation I own. And the packaging has grown on me - it's very light weight, I can't smash it if I drop it, and the lid is secure, which makes it the perfect traveling companion. I also find it easy to get the right amount of product without slipping and wasting half the product (pay attention Estee Lauder!)
I wouldn't call it a full coverage foundation as some of the previous reviewers have - I'd call it a very buildable light to medium coverage. It's extremely versatile, as it's a light to medium coverage if you use a very small amount and really buff it lightly across the skin for a natural look, or you can really work it in and layer it on to get a perfectly flawless - but not cakey - look.
Their shade selection is brilliant - from WHITE through to very dark, and with every imaginable tone in between - I really struggle to match my skin normally as I am very pale, and very few of the available pale shades seem to be a good match for me - however 3.5 is lovely on my skin.
Once it settles in it gives the most beautiful natural glow without being shiny, and it contains no SPF so it photographs beautifully, and it lasts very well through a long day of work. The one negative that I can think of is that I wouldn't recommend it for oily skin. I have fairly dry skin except on my nose and eyelids where I can get quite oily and on my nose if I have applied no primer and not powdered it shines up rather quickly and is gone after about 4 hours. I combat this by applying a tiny amount of either Estee Lauder double wear or primer just on my nose before applying my Skin Base.
This is a desert Island product for me (as long as I remember to pack the SPF!), I truly love it!
And just want to add how grateful I am to Illamasqua for dropping their prices in Australia to be on par with the rest of the world. Makeup is horrifically expensive here in Aus, just to give you an idea, our australian dollar is usually around the same as the american dollar, and a Benefit blush is $51, Diorshow mascara $65, YSL eyeshadow quad $90. The 'cheap' drugstore brands are $20-30 for a mascara and $30-40 for a foundation. This price drop has put Illamasqua products at around the same price as what we have to pay for Revlon or Max Factor - I know what I'll be buying!
Thanks Illamasqua!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2012 5:34:00 AM More reviews by NewWave

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I thik this is one seriously underrated foundations! I love it and it was the foundation I had on my wedding day. It has a perfect full coverage, natural finish and virtually invisible in photos, makes my skin look perfect. I have it in 3 different shades for when my skin is lighter/darker. I use it for special occasions only when I know that pictures of me will be taken. The coverage is too full for everyday wear. Applies best with stipling brush (Sigma) and lasts all day with finishing powder on top. The only negative about it is the bottle, which makes it very hard to squeeze the foundation out. Will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2012 8:59:00 PM More reviews by freelunch

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a brilliant foundation for those that want medium coverage without wanting to feel like they've got anything on really. It's definitely the most lightweight medium-full coverage foundation I've ever tried (and I've a huge foundation obsession). One layer offers nice medium coverage that evens out redness. And if you're going for full coverage, then add another layer or two.

I currently have combination skin (I say currently as I am in between treatments for my extremely oily skin), and it stays put without melting off. I do not have to set it with powder at all if I choose not to and it will still stay in place. The only reason I do is because I apply concealer on some spots on my face. I found that I have to work very quickly with this, but it's not a big deal. It doesn't have SPF which means it will photograph brilliantly. The color range is awesome. I think everyone will find something that will suite their skin tone. They even have white foundation :) It's a bit of a mattifying foundation (for me at least) so I am not sure if I will use this during the winter.

With that said, if you are someone that doesn't like having medium-full coverage for everyday, then this isn't for you. But if you are someone who's looking for that, I say get this! It is very much worth it. But do get a sample if you can (they are now available in Sephora) and try for yourself.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2012 12:05:00 PM More reviews by swolf123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This one sort of worked, but didn't quite meet muster in the end. I liked the coverage, hydration, and how it lasts, but didn't love how it made my forehead shiny or how the colors oxidize to a strange darker color. Because of this oxidation, it was quite difficult to find a color match. There simply isn't a color that truly fits. I'm between a 4.5 and 5.5, and 4.5 might be it after oxidation, but I gave up trying.

I've been breaking out as of late, actually during the time I wore this foundation, but I didn't make the connection, until I discontinued its use. I like the brand otherwise, and wouldn't hesitate trying again, with another product of theirs.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/22/2012 10:19:00 AM More reviews by patytamp

I was very excited to try this, the pixiwoo sisters rave about it so I decided to ask for a sample. I love the finish it gives just applied but after an hour my face was super oily and the foundation melted on the t-zone and on the cheeks it looks like it is just sitting on top....So sad because the colormatch is perfect, I'm NC30 and the shade 8 suits me like a dream but so happy I didn't buy the full size.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2012 1:45:00 AM More reviews by Nicholes07

I have been using Mac NC15 for a while but i have found it is too yellow for my face and the NW15 is too pink my face is more neutral. On the weekend i went into a department store and tested all the high end brands like Chanel, Clinique, Dior, Bobby Brown and a few others on my skin, the lightest ones were too dark for me.
The last counter i went to was Illamasqua and asked the Make up artist there to help me find a colour. She was very helpful and gave me a colour that suited my skin and that wasnt too dark.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2012 6:12:00 PM More reviews by atiiyah

I got this in shade 10 (for reference I wear mac nc35). The first few times I used this I was absolutely in love, the colour match was perfect & I liked the satiny finish. Ive been using it for 1 week & it's broken me out like nothing else I've ever used. Not just a few pimples here & there but full on break out. I don't even have sensitive skin & never broken out with other foundations before. *confusedface*

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2012 9:00:00 AM More reviews by jmb217

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am shad 3.5 in this foundation. I am NC15-20 in MAC and sometimes an NW20 (select sheer powder) I have a pretty good mix of pink and yellow understones. I find that I use a tiny amount and just where I need it. I put it mostly on my cheeks and it makes them look incredibly smooth and perfect. It's kind of amazing that the color match is so great in this that I can use it to spot cover and it's undetectable where I've applied it and where I haven't! I also use it under my eyes as concealer. I find it to be a satin finish. I'm normal/dry ...mostly dry in the cheek area and it sits beautifully without accentuating dryness like many others (vitalumiere aqua, MUFE HD, nars sheer glow) do. It lasts very well for me, maybe 10 hours, and I find no difference with a primer or without My skin feels really lovely with this on, smooth and moistened, but really not dewy or greasy. I have sensitive skin and it's not caused any issues. It's the best I've used on my never-ending foundation quest.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/1/2012 1:18:00 PM More reviews by Hippylady

So unsure about this. On the one hand I think I may have wrong shade as it seems really pale sometimes but other times it works ok. The texture is quite drying to work with and gives a flattish appearance initially but then after it settles it looks nice. It looks nice at night/evening and in pictures but not quite right for day use. Doesn't need a powder even though I have combination skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2012 7:11:00 PM More reviews by PeachFuzzz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Holy oily! this made me look like a greasy mess within 30 minutes after application. Not for oily skin. Would look best on dry skin. Gave it two lippies because shade selection is good.