October 2, 2014 | 1714 users online

Liquid - Illamasqua - Skin Base foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2012 8:20:00 AM More reviews by PShanahan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Grey

I love this foundation! I have very pale skin and have always had trouble finding the perfect foundation max. I bought this in #2 and it is perfect
I use it with the Illamasqua primer which is also fantastic and well worth buying. The combo leave my skin with a luminous dewy finish. That kind of healthy glow without being oily or shiny.
I have tried all of the high end foundations and have not found one with as good a colour match or as high performing as this one. The packaging is a little lame and i can see it being frustrating when the time comes to squeeze the last drop out. Aside of that I am in love.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/2/2012 9:35:00 AM More reviews by korrok

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was very taken with a number of Illamasqua's products, and really love their brand aesthetics. So when back home in the UK, I visited one of their counters to be matched on the skin base foundation, fully expecting to purchase some. From the site there seemed to be a great range of colours, which I need because I have pale Celtic skin! The makeup artist tried out a bunch of different shades on me (some I could have told her wouldn't work!) before settling on 3.5 (over the matte primer). The look under store lighting didn't look quite right so I decided to go spend the day wearing it to see how it felt - and I'm so glad I did. Everyone told me it made me look yellowy, jaundiced and sickly! Add to that, every time I touched my face at all, even lightly, I came away with a bunch of foundation. Even my cheapest foundations haven't done that. I put some of my own powder over it to set it a few hours later, which eased the problem a little...but still not to a satisfactory degree. My face was also constantly somewhat shiny, even with the matte primer. Overall the shade was the biggest killer: it was horrible and yellowed, even though supposedly that has a pink base. 2 days later I went to the Estee Lauder counter in the same store and was matched to Double Wear 1c1 Shell which is perfect and wears so much better and more naturally. So no, the only reason this gets 2 lippies is that it had reasonably good coverage. Otherwise, very poor!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2012 9:22:00 PM More reviews by jlbre5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

The wait for me is over - HG foundation, FINALLY! I think its love and the marriage/forever kind. Not the Chanel Perfection Lumiere crush kind.
I have pale-ish (MAC NC15-20, BB Sand, Chanel Beige 20), combo break-out prone skin. I have this in #4, use this with Illamasqua Matt Primer. Skin Base is actually a BB cream base, so great for all skin-types (allegedly)
Pros: Long lasting coverage that goes slightly dewy in my greasy T-zone by the end of a work (nurse) day. Medium (very) buildable coverage. Finish is matte-slight luminousity. HD foundation, photographs beautifully. Bottle is plastic and therefore you'll be able to get out every drop. Illamasqua Australia has dropped their prices in-line with UK/Europe, $41 for a bottle and I can buy it in a store rather than online (YAY!). Bottle looks small but you still get 30mls - same as most other high-end foundations, and a little bit goes along way. BB cream that doesnt break me out
Cons: .....*shrugs* Actually made in Thailand is a off-put
VERDIT: HG for sure! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2012 7:47:00 AM More reviews by thealmightyboots

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm surprised this hasn't received better reviews...It's the best foundation I've ever found!
When I first bought it and opened the packaging I felt a bit ripped off, as it seemed like such a small amount in such a flimsy little plastic bottle. However it contains 30ml of product, which is the same as...well, every other foundation I own. And the packaging has grown on me - it's very light weight, I can't smash it if I drop it, and the lid is secure, which makes it the perfect traveling companion. I also find it easy to get the right amount of product without slipping and wasting half the product (pay attention Estee Lauder!)
I wouldn't call it a full coverage foundation as some of the previous reviewers have - I'd call it a very buildable light to medium coverage. It's extremely versatile, as it's a light to medium coverage if you use a very small amount and really buff it lightly across the skin for a natural look, or you can really work it in and layer it on to get a perfectly flawless - but not cakey - look.
Their shade selection is brilliant - from WHITE through to very dark, and with every imaginable tone in between - I really struggle to match my skin normally as I am very pale, and very few of the available pale shades seem to be a good match for me - however 3.5 is lovely on my skin.
Once it settles in it gives the most beautiful natural glow without being shiny, and it contains no SPF so it photographs beautifully, and it lasts very well through a long day of work. The one negative that I can think of is that I wouldn't recommend it for oily skin. I have fairly dry skin except on my nose and eyelids where I can get quite oily and on my nose if I have applied no primer and not powdered it shines up rather quickly and is gone after about 4 hours. I combat this by applying a tiny amount of either Estee Lauder double wear or primer just on my nose before applying my Skin Base.
This is a desert Island product for me (as long as I remember to pack the SPF!), I truly love it!
And just want to add how grateful I am to Illamasqua for dropping their prices in Australia to be on par with the rest of the world. Makeup is horrifically expensive here in Aus, just to give you an idea, our australian dollar is usually around the same as the american dollar, and a Benefit blush is $51, Diorshow mascara $65, YSL eyeshadow quad $90. The 'cheap' drugstore brands are $20-30 for a mascara and $30-40 for a foundation. This price drop has put Illamasqua products at around the same price as what we have to pay for Revlon or Max Factor - I know what I'll be buying!
Thanks Illamasqua!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2012 5:34:00 AM More reviews by NewWave

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I thik this is one seriously underrated foundations! I love it and it was the foundation I had on my wedding day. It has a perfect full coverage, natural finish and virtually invisible in photos, makes my skin look perfect. I have it in 3 different shades for when my skin is lighter/darker. I use it for special occasions only when I know that pictures of me will be taken. The coverage is too full for everyday wear. Applies best with stipling brush (Sigma) and lasts all day with finishing powder on top. The only negative about it is the bottle, which makes it very hard to squeeze the foundation out. Will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2012 8:59:00 PM More reviews by freelunch

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a brilliant foundation for those that want medium coverage without wanting to feel like they've got anything on really. It's definitely the most lightweight medium-full coverage foundation I've ever tried (and I've a huge foundation obsession). One layer offers nice medium coverage that evens out redness. And if you're going for full coverage, then add another layer or two.

I currently have combination skin (I say currently as I am in between treatments for my extremely oily skin), and it stays put without melting off. I do not have to set it with powder at all if I choose not to and it will still stay in place. The only reason I do is because I apply concealer on some spots on my face. I found that I have to work very quickly with this, but it's not a big deal. It doesn't have SPF which means it will photograph brilliantly. The color range is awesome. I think everyone will find something that will suite their skin tone. They even have white foundation :) It's a bit of a mattifying foundation (for me at least) so I am not sure if I will use this during the winter.

With that said, if you are someone that doesn't like having medium-full coverage for everyday, then this isn't for you. But if you are someone who's looking for that, I say get this! It is very much worth it. But do get a sample if you can (they are now available in Sephora) and try for yourself.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2012 12:05:00 PM More reviews by swolf123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This one sort of worked, but didn't quite meet muster in the end. I liked the coverage, hydration, and how it lasts, but didn't love how it made my forehead shiny or how the colors oxidize to a strange darker color. Because of this oxidation, it was quite difficult to find a color match. There simply isn't a color that truly fits. I'm between a 4.5 and 5.5, and 4.5 might be it after oxidation, but I gave up trying.

I've been breaking out as of late, actually during the time I wore this foundation, but I didn't make the connection, until I discontinued its use. I like the brand otherwise, and wouldn't hesitate trying again, with another product of theirs.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/22/2012 10:19:00 AM More reviews by patytamp

I was very excited to try this, the pixiwoo sisters rave about it so I decided to ask for a sample. I love the finish it gives just applied but after an hour my face was super oily and the foundation melted on the t-zone and on the cheeks it looks like it is just sitting on top....So sad because the colormatch is perfect, I'm NC30 and the shade 8 suits me like a dream but so happy I didn't buy the full size.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2012 1:45:00 AM More reviews by Nicholes07

I have been using Mac NC15 for a while but i have found it is too yellow for my face and the NW15 is too pink my face is more neutral. On the weekend i went into a department store and tested all the high end brands like Chanel, Clinique, Dior, Bobby Brown and a few others on my skin, the lightest ones were too dark for me.
The last counter i went to was Illamasqua and asked the Make up artist there to help me find a colour. She was very helpful and gave me a colour that suited my skin and that wasnt too dark.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2012 6:12:00 PM More reviews by atiiyah

I got this in shade 10 (for reference I wear mac nc35). The first few times I used this I was absolutely in love, the colour match was perfect & I liked the satiny finish. Ive been using it for 1 week & it's broken me out like nothing else I've ever used. Not just a few pimples here & there but full on break out. I don't even have sensitive skin & never broken out with other foundations before. *confusedface*