October 30, 2014 | 1128 users online

Mascara - Almay - Get Up and Grow

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2013 11:12:00 AM More reviews by Videotapeses

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I love how feathery it makes my lashes. I have very short and sparse lashes. It makes my lashes appear longer and gives them volume, without looking cakey and spidery. Sometimes, I end up with panda eyes, but not always.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2013 2:07:00 PM More reviews by utopiachild71

I admit I wasn't expecting much from this not being a fan of Almay products. I was recommended this from Emily Noel on Youtube and she is right on the money with this one! This mascara does not clump or smudge and it volumizes and lengthens beautifully. I find this actually finds the small little fringy lashes better than They're Real from Benefit. In fact I prefer this to Benefit because you do not get crunchy lashes, I actually forget I am wearing mascara because it the formula stays flexible. The formula is slightly dry which I also like. The only thing that I think they could improve on is the brush, it's a little awkward to work with at first but you get the hang of it. Don't pass this drug store winner up it's better than covergirl lash blast IMO!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2013 2:43:00 AM More reviews by poeticrealist

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Not drying like other mascaras so I do like it, but the brush is just too huge. I wish the brush were smaller. However, it is a one coat mascara for me, so I do appreciate that. I didn't get the raccoon eyes that most people mentioned because I only wear Clinique bottom lash mascara on my lower lashes so I would just suggest using a different mascara on bottom lashes due to the large brush anyway. I'd recommend it for people in a rush as long as they can work with the brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2013 3:30:00 PM More reviews by kloghopper

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For reference, I have long eyelashes that merely need a bit of help in the volume department. I do NOT like this mascara by itself. I will put that right out there. However, it is wonderful to layer with another formula that is too wet. I use it either as a base for another mascara, or layered on top. Today I used my L'oreal Lash out which is newer and too wet. On top of that I put a coat of Get up and Grow. My lashes look great. I do not experience any flaking, smudging, and it's easy to remove. The brush is big and full but it works. I only wish it came in a curved style! Highly recommend for those who need a "base" for other mascara formulas that have not reached that perfect consistency after a couple of weeks of use. (like the Goldilocks of mascaras.. not too wet, not to dry, but juuuuust right). Rite Aid sometimes has 40% sales on Almay.. which makes this mascara less than $5! Happy wallets and happy lashes. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 12/17/2012 8:34:00 PM More reviews by MarsyMars

I have a serious love/hate relationship with this mascara.

Part of me loves it -
Perfect formula -- not too wet or too dry
Perfect Applicator - Not plasticky or spindly (I'm looking at you cat eyes)
Perfect look - fuller & longer lashes, with a natural look - My lashes but better.

Part of me hates it - After wearing it for a few days, I experienced the same smudgy panda eyes that other reviewers have mentioned.

But, I liked the good parts so much, that couldn't just give up on it. I used it for a few weeks, tinkering around to try to figure out a way to make it work. UD setting spray helps to keep panda eyes at bay. So does not opening your eyes too wide soon after application and waving the brush around for a few seconds before applying. None of these things completely ameliorated the problem and, with a heavy heart, I tossed the mascara.

A few days later, while putting on some false eyelashes, I realized how much longer and fuller my real lashes had become over the past month. It was Get Up and Grow!

Since then I have re-purchased it but in the waterproof version. It smudges less than the waterproof version, but there is still some smudging.

I keep wearing it and continually trying to figure out a way to MacGuyver this stuff so that it doesn't smudge.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/17/2012 1:48:00 PM More reviews by LithiumGlitter

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this mascara for about eight dollars at Walgreens. To get straight to the point, I really hate it! :( Within four hours, I had black smudges under my eyes and little flakes all over my cheeks. It gave me decent length and good volume, but little separation. I found that it made my lashes look clumpy. As far as the "get up and grow" factor goes, I didn't notice any improvement in my lashes. Overall, I'm very disappointed with this product. I usually like Almay mascaras, but I definitely wouldn't recommend this one.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/9/2012 6:32:00 AM More reviews by Verrine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm confused by the good reviews. I understand that I may have more problems with smudging and flaking than other people, but if I have serious raccoon eyes after 3 (THREE) hours, how does anyone not have some of that? By the end of the day, I don't think anything was left on my lashes! I tested this without any undereye concealer and it still didn't work.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2012 5:17:00 PM More reviews by Balletstar2

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

***HG*** I love this stuff! I didn't really care about the whole "get up an grow" thing, because that's not what it does for me. I have long lashes already, but not thick ones. What this does is it adds thickness and volume without adding more length, which would make me look like a clown. The color is perfect too, black, but not so black that it looks like my stage makeup. PERFECT!!!! MUST HAVE!!! Really great for a drugstore!

*from the perspective of a 14 year old*

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2012 4:34:00 PM More reviews by MissBrittanyM

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Well, that's what I get for buying a mascara based on a YT review and NOT on MUA reviews. Sigh. This mascara is yet another in a long line of disappointments. Barely noticeable with 3 coats, doesn't hold curl at all, and flaked and smudged all around my eyes each time I wore it. I can't tell you if it helped with "growth" (though I highly doubt it could), since I got rid of it after a week... which I think is a record, because I usually try to make mascaras work for me. Very unhappy with this product and would not buy again under any circumstances.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2012 4:43:00 PM More reviews by KarlieSA

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this mascara. It has a nice wand that seperates my lashes, and the product lasts all day. It is a bit dry on the lashes but it lasts all day. The color blackest black was not that black and I found after I used it for a bit the product dried up and got clumpy. I wish that is wasn't so dry otherwise it would be a really fantastic mascara