November 26, 2014 | 1335 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - coal face soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2011 7:25:00 PM More reviews by purplecandy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have oily skin that is getting more normal with age, mostly concentrated in my T-Zone.

Coalface leaves my skin feeling clean, though it has always been part of my night routine to remove my make up first before using my cleanser. I cut the bar into small chunks and use the chunks one by one instead of using the whole bar at one time. This makes coalface super travel friendly as I can just throw a chunk into my make-up bag and be gone.

The only con I have is that if you leave it in the shower in a little dish it will secrete some glycerine. I haven't found this to decrease its performance; I just rinse off the glycerine and keep on going. It's better to store it in a less humid setting between uses.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2011 9:42:00 PM More reviews by LameAssCatLady

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I recently fell in love with this soap and I have a feeling that I'll be using it for years to come.

I use this straight on my skin, I do not lather it in my hands then apply. There are chunks of coal in it, so I don't use a heavy hand when applying it.

This makes makeup melt off of your face when you wash and it exfoliates.

It seems to be clearing up my acne which is FANTASTIC!

This does not last very long compared to FF, but you get more product because it is lighter than FF.

The only con I have is the scent. I do not like black licorice scent at all...but if that is the only down side to this product, I can deal with it.

Will buy again!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2011 7:10:00 PM More reviews by tristessa27

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff is amazing!! Before I talk about what it does for my skin, I have to mention that it's really good at removing stubborn make-up, face paint, any kind of stain on the skin that isn't coming off easily with your usual soap and water...also great in the summer if I've been wearing flip flops all day and the soles of my feet are dirty.

It was the only product that helped with some rogue acne that popped up a few years ago. I had nasty pustules on my chin (where I'd never had acne before) and this really helped to calm them down and keep the pores clean.

I did find that as my skin changed and became less acne prone, this soap really started to dry out my skin, which is why I don't use it regularly anymore.

I do still buy it though because of the other uses I mentioned above and I find it's good to use once in a while as it does a good job of cleaning pores deep down, it mildly exfoliates and brightens my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2011 11:11:00 AM More reviews by glamstep

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff!! One of my HG skincare items, I've been coming back to regularly for over 5 yrs now-longest I've stuck to any face product! (although I do alternate & try new things aLL the time)

INGREDIENTS & PROPERTIES:
---Charcoal-absorbs oil, dermal cleansing of pores, soaks up toxins
---Licorice-lightens hyper-pigmentation, acidic so reduces inflammation
---Sandalwood-astringent, disinfectant, emollient
*Commonly used in top quality masks/spas individually or combos

TEXTURE & SCENT:
Black charcoal looking bar with granular gritty surface--it doesn't scratch/over exfoliate even if u apply it directly to your face. Smells like well licorice & sandalwood (mostly)! Natural, minerally & doesn't linger, even if your sensitive to smells or have dry skin--don't be discouraged!

STORAGE & COST:
I buy a single 3g piece for about $10 & cut small blocks off at a time. I keep the big chunk dry & fresh-wrapped in paper away from bathroom moisture & direct light/heat (it does melt in those conditions). It literally lasts me 7-9 mos---worth every penny my budget shoppers! I put my daily slice into the shampoo round tin sold at LUSH (or any non porous soapdish will do), so I can use even the tid bits that solidify inside, not bcuz I'm cheap but bcuz its that good & cant see any of it go to waste! O yea it drips black (be careful of streaks on your arms!) & looks yuk if u let it dry in the sink too, but simply wipe off or let the water run!

APPLICATION:
I do have normal-dry skin so during the winter I use this only at night followed with moisturizer, summer time I bump it up to twice a day.I rub the bar between my fingers, it lathers quickly into a creamy gray FOAM & apply to my wet face. I use circular motions, especially on my nose, chin (blackhead prone area) & rinse off with cold water. I literally feel the impurities being lifted off my face, leaving the most SQUEAKY clean finish ever! It keeps my skin glowing (like I just got a facial done) all yr long. I swear by this being the reason why my face didn't tan living in the Caribbean for 2 yrs compared to the rest of me (yes I applied sunblock daily the same Neutrogena spf 100 on face & body). It has kept my pores clog free, minimized blackheads, rids redness & helped fade old scars. I do have dry skin, but this has NEVER left it blotchy, irritated, cracked or peely (like others have) I find my skin compensates by producing the right amount of moisture that it lacked previously!

TIPS:
If your curious, I suggest going into a LUSH store not purchasing online, so u can pick up a free sample OR customize a small size. I frequently ask for approximately ''$2 travel sizes'' to try several different products out & the SA estimate well around that price tag. OR be daring enough to try it in the sink there! This is one of those products u will FEEL the difference in just ONE use & SEE differences WITHIN a week max! I have recommended to sooo many & got same feedback :)
Heard best results from oily, acne, eczema skin but I have none of the above & am still addicted! Maybe I'm blessed with good skin genes OR maybe its LUSH coal face ;)

Lastly LUSH can be hits & misses so don't stray away from a bad experience with something else. I've previously tried Angels on Bare skin, Fresh Farmacy (found both too crumbly & difficult to lather for my taste), Herbalism (ooo smells!), Baby Face (d/c) & this blows them all! It is my favorite, hands down!!!

18 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/5/2011 10:40:00 AM More reviews by Michelle219

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have read how charcoal is extremely effective at absorbing/detoxifying. I am not hundred percent if there is enough of it in this soap or that its composition is effective. Either way this soap makes my skin feel squeaky-clean but doesn't over dry it like Fresh Farmacy. It's definitely a good cleanser, it lasts, and I like using an odd looking soap.

UPDATE: I have finished this up but have decided not to repurchase since its more costly than other facial soaps. Not that a good cleanser isn't worth the money but I find that a lot of drug store brands are just a good and don't cost nearly as much.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2011 2:47:00 PM More reviews by maggiejeanjones

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used to wonder what all the hype was regarding LUSH (as it smells horrible every time I walk by)??? This soap made me a convert!!!!! I use this soap at nighttime before bed. My skin feels squeeky clean, and the small gritty particles provide light exfoliation. I alternate with LUSH's Fresh Farmacy and Coalface (am and pm), and my oily, troublesome skin has never looked better! A bit pricey for a bar soap, but LUSH has a very generous sample policy so you can try before you buy!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2011 8:12:00 PM More reviews by itsmemallory01

This has been my "go to cleanser" for over a year now. I very rarely write reviews on here unless I find something absolutely exceptional. After being without coalface for two weeks, I decided I never wanted to live without it. If you can get over the smell this cleanser is a life saver. Absolutely one of the best cleansers out there. Perfect consistency so you can use it as an exfoliant and a facial cleanser. My eyebrow lady even commented on my face, "OMG, what have you been using? The texture of your face is magnificent!" Haha. I use this daily with the clarisonic, and I would suggest it to ANY of my friends who liked their face to be clean and smooth when they step out of the shower. Try it, it's wonderful.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2011 1:01:00 AM More reviews by WalkingOnADream

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Other

Cleared up back acne in 3 weeks. Does not last very long but it's very effective. I love this soap. It's worth every dime. I use it with a bath brush. I let it sit for 1 minute and rinse.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2011 8:47:00 PM More reviews by rebbeca

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I like this soap. It does it's job. I have combination skin, and it works well with it. I use a makeup remover first, and then this soap and my face feels totally clean. The soap is rough, but I just lather it in my hands first so I don't scratch my face. The soap also doesn't smell very good, but honestly, I never expect facial cleansers to smell good.

I've purchase this product twice and I probably will repurchase this again, but I'm going to try out Angels On Bare Skin first.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/20/2011 2:57:00 AM More reviews by myohmy

At first I thought this soap was really great and recommended to people left and right. It does a super job of cleaning everything off your face even eye makeup.. a little too good perhaps.. leaves me skin really dry. DO NOT APPLY BAR DIRECTLY TO FACE. It will scratch you and in my case it left a scar that looks like a wrinkle by my lasolabial fold. Once you start using the soap it will lose that smooth texture and will have huge grains on and in it. Just wet your hands and lather that puppy up and apply for wet face. It foams up pretty nice, esp in shower. I think it is still a great soap.. just not for my combo skin esp. since I was using it in winter. Maybe I will buy again and use it as a body bar since it would be great at exfoliating...