August 20, 2014 | 1480 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - coal face soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2011 2:47:00 PM More reviews by maggiejeanjones

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used to wonder what all the hype was regarding LUSH (as it smells horrible every time I walk by)??? This soap made me a convert!!!!! I use this soap at nighttime before bed. My skin feels squeeky clean, and the small gritty particles provide light exfoliation. I alternate with LUSH's Fresh Farmacy and Coalface (am and pm), and my oily, troublesome skin has never looked better! A bit pricey for a bar soap, but LUSH has a very generous sample policy so you can try before you buy!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2011 8:12:00 PM More reviews by itsmemallory01

This has been my "go to cleanser" for over a year now. I very rarely write reviews on here unless I find something absolutely exceptional. After being without coalface for two weeks, I decided I never wanted to live without it. If you can get over the smell this cleanser is a life saver. Absolutely one of the best cleansers out there. Perfect consistency so you can use it as an exfoliant and a facial cleanser. My eyebrow lady even commented on my face, "OMG, what have you been using? The texture of your face is magnificent!" Haha. I use this daily with the clarisonic, and I would suggest it to ANY of my friends who liked their face to be clean and smooth when they step out of the shower. Try it, it's wonderful.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2011 1:01:00 AM More reviews by WalkingOnADream

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Other

Cleared up back acne in 3 weeks. Does not last very long but it's very effective. I love this soap. It's worth every dime. I use it with a bath brush. I let it sit for 1 minute and rinse.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2011 8:47:00 PM More reviews by rebbeca

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I like this soap. It does it's job. I have combination skin, and it works well with it. I use a makeup remover first, and then this soap and my face feels totally clean. The soap is rough, but I just lather it in my hands first so I don't scratch my face. The soap also doesn't smell very good, but honestly, I never expect facial cleansers to smell good.

I've purchase this product twice and I probably will repurchase this again, but I'm going to try out Angels On Bare Skin first.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/20/2011 2:57:00 AM More reviews by myohmy

At first I thought this soap was really great and recommended to people left and right. It does a super job of cleaning everything off your face even eye makeup.. a little too good perhaps.. leaves me skin really dry. DO NOT APPLY BAR DIRECTLY TO FACE. It will scratch you and in my case it left a scar that looks like a wrinkle by my lasolabial fold. Once you start using the soap it will lose that smooth texture and will have huge grains on and in it. Just wet your hands and lather that puppy up and apply for wet face. It foams up pretty nice, esp in shower. I think it is still a great soap.. just not for my combo skin esp. since I was using it in winter. Maybe I will buy again and use it as a body bar since it would be great at exfoliating...

rated 3 of 5 on 6/13/2011 5:51:00 PM More reviews by SavvyShopper3

Pros: Leaves skin squeaky clean and matte, lathers up well, eliminates oil
Cons: Did not help me with acne yet, can be scratchy

Coalface is one of Lush's two solid facial cleansing bars and works very much like any bar soap. Although I have heard that the shape of this bar is sold in has changed over time, it is currently being sold in a triangular 'thick pizza slice' type piece (not the square block pictured in the product details). The soap is black with really pretty (very discreet) sparkly particles.

Because it seemed like the large piece might be hard to handle and also because I did not want to moisten the entire bar right away (making it susceptible bacteria), I cut off small manueverable pieces that I can use. The soap cuts very easily with a sharp knife without making a mess of shavings falling out.

I had heard that coalface lasts a very long time but so far I have noticed that I am going through the pieces that I cut off fairly quickly. One of the reasons I had chosen this soap instead of Dark Angels was that it is said to last longer. This makes me wonder how fast people go through Dark Angels!

I was hoping Coalface would help me with acne problems but I have not noticed any improvement after a couple of weeks of use (still hoping though!).

It is however a good cleanser - it leaves my skin squeaky clean but not tight or dry and it gets rid of any make up that I have on. It also does seem to be mattifying so it serves it purpose of helping oily skin.

The little black particles that come up in the lather (I'm assuming they are meant to exfoliate) CAN be irrating and scratcy on sensitive areas. I wouldn't generally recommend this to people with sensitive skin. Although Coalface will not leave your skin extremely dry, you will definitely need to follow it up with a good moisturzier.

Unlike some other black-colored solid soaps I have tried, this soap did not make a mess any more than a regular soap would. The lather created by the soap is more or less white (with maybe a very slight grey-ish tint) and it does not seem to stain.

The fragerance is pleasant not sweet or fruity at all like some of Lush's other products.

I see this as a good addition to Lush's new "Dirty" line for men because of the black color and the fragerance (reminds me somewhat of men's deoderants and colognes).

In my search for a good acne-fighting cleanser, I will be trying Dark Angels and Herbalism (which I have heard can be really good for acne prone skin!) and post back here about my (hopefully good!) experiences with those. I will continue to use this as a basic night time cleanser as it does a pretty good job of removing all my make up. And it also fully cleans and preps my skin for my nightly serum and moisturizer regimine (plus any acne spot treatment I might be using).

Bottom Line: This is a good basic facial cleanser. Not great but pretty good. I would recommend this mainly for people with oily skin. Or as a summer cleanser for people with combo skin (like myself)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2011 3:45:00 AM More reviews by MakeupAddictLa

Good face cleanser. Gently exfoliates my skin and really takes away any excess oil. Definitely a great product for those with oily skin like me but if you have dry skin, you'd probably want to stay away. It can really dry out your skin! It can get a little messy so I keep mine in the shower. Great price and good product!

I highly recommend this to people with oily skin. I can definitely see a difference in the oiliness of my skin after using this.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2011 6:08:00 PM More reviews by sweetyoungthing

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

Coal Face saved my life! I love love love this soap (along with Fresh Farmacy). I have battled acne my entire life and this seems to be the only stuff to help. It works so well that I can get away without wearing make-up, and I've never ever been able to do that.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2011 9:54:00 PM More reviews by pinkfrost52

This didn't work for me as well as I had hoped. I have combination skin, so it's really just my forehead, nose and chin that gets oily. This cleanser dried out my cheeks so I don't think it was the best option. I did notice that it helped absorb oil in those areas and left my skin with a tighter feeling as well. The soap smells like licorice and sandalwood which I didn't like so much. If you have very oily acne-prone skin, this would probably work well for you. I won't buy again since it is too drying for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/27/2011 1:35:00 AM More reviews by gethappi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Coalface is incredible; provided: 1- you lather it up in your hands and do not directly rub the bar on your face. 2- if you plan on keeping this in the bathroom, keep it in a tin. I cut mine up into thin tiny bars. I actually prefer to use this in the shower! The activated charcoal perhaps? 3. moisturizing isn't a bad idea even for the most sensitive skin. I usually use sunblock instead.