December 18, 2014 | 1800 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

REFORMULATED. Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=153868/ColorStay-Makeup-%2824-hour-formula---2012/2013%29/Revlon/Liquid

rated 1 of 5 on 9/28/2013 10:05:00 PM More reviews by lolita97

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

broke me out a lot and looked cakey. its also difficult to remove.This product would be great for someone with oily, smooth skin (as in no bumps, large pores, etc) On the smooth parts of my face it looked good but on the parts with acne scars or a few bumps it looked cakey and made them obvious. :( it also didnt cover my redness well unless i layered it on.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2013 7:50:00 PM More reviews by postmoderngirl

I bought this to replace my MAC studio fix foundation that I realized was breaking me out. I have the combo/oily version (I tried the normal skin version and found that the colour was darker so I returned it.. although I wish I could've tried it). This has medium buildable coverage. It can get super cakey if you apply a lot.. I've done that and it just looks bad. You can also apply it with a beauty blender or damp brush for a more natural finish. It's long wearing and doesn't transfer - 2 big things. I also like to mix it with other foundations to make them more long wearing. Great foundation & I will continue to repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/28/2013 4:36:00 PM More reviews by smbush

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I know everybody raves about this foundation, but...I HATED this! I have bad acne scars (but not too much acne anymore) in one area of my face and I was breaking out again badly after one day. Stopped using it then. I can't bring myself to throw it away because it was $13, but I really should. I used very little, except in my scar area, and felt so awkward all day because my face looked like I had put full pancake on. It caked almost from the second I put it on my face and was nearly impossible to blend. Most of the time foundation slides all over my face because my skin is so oily. I will say that the color selection was wonderful, but I can find my shade (usually natural ivory in winter) in many other foundations so I see no need to EVER repurchase this. I should say that I tried the oil free version, and after five hours my skin was an oil slick again. It looked just like I had spilled oil over pancake makeup. It also seemed to bring out all the red and yellow undertones in my face, and my scars were still visible. BB creams have better coverage then this.
I know I am ranting, but $13 is a lot for me to spend on makeup. Feels like I just threw it in the garbage.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/28/2013 8:58:00 AM More reviews by lalyastarpop

this is probably the most raved drugstore foundation ever. Many praises here and there about its quality may it be blogs, forums or even in youtube. I agree that this works very well in terms of coverage, finish & staying power. Its very buildable , easy to blend and last for a very long time. HOWEVER this product caused me my worst NIGHTMARE. my skin broke out like crazy!! I got this nasty red painful bumps mainly in my cheek and chin are. It was such a mess. I used to have clear skin before & this product ruined it. At first, i did not think that this product is the culprit for my acne, so just kept on using it daily for a week or two. And when i finally came in to my senses & decided to quit using this product, my skin gradually improved. as of the moment i am still suffering from the nasty acne scars. NEVER REPURCHASING AGAIN!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2013 10:00:00 PM More reviews by Susie0205

I love this product, the coverage is so good! And it lasts the whole day! And it's cheap! I buy it for 15 AUD! Absolutely buy it again! Only thing I hate was the package!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/27/2013 8:29:00 PM More reviews by Tiffany95

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I had seen alot of youtube MUA's rave about Revlon 24hr colour stay foundation, so i tried it out.. at first loved it and the coverage but then it gave me a nasty rash on my face! at first it was abit itchy then i broke out in little red lumps everywhere and now i cant even put aloe vera on my face without it stinging like a bitch... decided to read some reviews and apparently this has happened alot :/ such a disappointment considering the coverage is amazing!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2013 7:09:00 AM More reviews by Alexandra123Y

This is the review for the Oily/Combination version (24 hrs). I like the foundation on overall. It's a full to medium coverage. Just after application it is quite visible but not long after it seems to blend in providing almost completely natural finish. Feels comfortable on the skin, doesn't move or oxidize.
I tried applying the foundation with a dense brush which works quite well. Found that a wet sponge provides bit less coverage and a more natural finish which I prefer. Yet the latter technique is more time consuming.
A few drawbacks: a little thick, thus, bit difficult to work with. Maybe mine is old but it is really thick making it difficult to get it out of the bottle.Next is the packaging. It's just a glass bottle with a screw cap. Why couldn't they provide a pump, especially when it is so difficult to get the product out.
The shade I own is Sand Beige which is bit light for me. I'd assume it will work best for NW20 maybe even 15. No pink or yellow undertones, rather neutral, I'd say graying even.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/25/2013 6:13:00 PM More reviews by BEAUTYISBOLD

I was dying to try out this foundation but since I have around 5 other different foundations I waited to purchase. Once i finally finised up one foundation it gave me a reason to go buy the foundation. I went to a local Rite Aid, that was having a deal on Revlon cosmetics buy one get on 50%. So i purchased the foundation. Finding my color was not difficult at all due to them having a wide variety of shades. I ended up trying the foundation the nxt day and i loved the coverage. I notice my skin starting to feel itchy but I brushed that off. Then went through out my day and my face developed a rash!! Similar looking to a heat rash, I liked the coverage the foundation gave I tried it again..i know i shouldnt have but I couldnt help myself. lol i had the same problem again..itchiness..and bumps..So sadly i returned the foundation back to the store, I was disapointed because i loved the coverage but my skin is more important! haha.,

rated 3 of 5 on 9/25/2013 5:51:00 PM More reviews by AmazingBella

I really wanted to love this foundation like everybody else. I guess I'm one of the few that weren't impressed. I did like the finish that this gave but it didn't last long at all. After a few hours i looked in a mirror and saw that a lot of the coverage of the makeup was gone . I really thought that this would make me look flawless all day :/

rated 3 of 5 on 9/20/2013 8:26:00 PM More reviews by HappyUnicornSmile

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Pros:

1. Great finish. It doesn't look like you have make up on, except for after just applying. Once it melts into your skin, however, it looks just like skin. The longer you wear this, the more it looks natural, which is the opposite of most make up (the longer you wear them, the more they begin looking unnatural and obvious).

2. Great colors! I found my match by swatching them in the store (SHHHHHHH, don't tell anyone!) and I had no trouble. The color matched my face perfectly, which is odd because there's so many different undertones and skin colors in this big, beautiful, world of ethnic variety. Yet, the color matched me perfectly.

3. Two different formulas: one for oily/combo skin and one for dry skin. I've tried them both. Because I'm adventurous like that.

Cons:

1.Made my skin break out. Sometimes it takes my very sensitive skin a while to have a reaction, sometimes it doesn't. I wore this for about a month, and didn't have any issues (unless I failed to get allllll the make up off of my face. Then pores became a bit clogged). After that month, I began breaking out in cystic acne. I scientifically eliminated the culprit down to this make up.

2. Extremely difficult for me to remove at night. With the gain of godly lasting power, one must sacrifice the ease of washing off. My normal face scrub (St. Ives Apricot) wouldn't get this off. I ended up using coconut oil to get it off (great eye make up remover) and then washing my face with scrub. This got most of the make up off, but not all. I imagine a face brush like Clarisonic or Olay would do the job if you added that into the type of routine I was using (make up remover plus face wash).

3. Packaging. I know this is EVERYWHERE in the Revlon Colorstay complaint world. But, I can't be thorough without mentioning it. This only bothered me moderately. I simply shook the formula up (says on the packing that it separates so you have to shake it every time), pour some out on the back of my hand, and apply. Not too big of a deal, I just felt like my hand was soaking up product and it was going to waste because my hands are sexy as is.

Comments:

This was a great make up, and I was willing to compromise with it and make it work because I had never found something so compatible with me, and with what I dreamt my foundation in shining armor should be.However, we had to break up because my skin has a bad reaction to this.

As I stated above, I've tried both formulas. I have oily skin, but my store was out of the oily/combo formula so I bought the normal/dry skin formula. I used it for about 3 weeks. I liked it. I used the oily skin formula for 2 weeks, and then on again, off again after that because I wanted to see if it was breaking me out. Then I tried the dry skin on again, off again to see if that would break me out. Both of them cause cystic acne. The only discernible difference I found between the formulas on me is that the dry skin emphasizes flakiness around current blemishes more so than the oily formula.

I have also used Double Wear foundation, and this is basically the same as Double Wear. So if you use DW and want a cheaper alternative, USE THIS. You won't regret it. I think the color matching is better with Revlon.

I believe they are coming out with a new bottle that includes a pump. But, there's a catch (isn't there always?). The bottles with pumps now contain a different reformulated formula. Haha, "reformulated formula". Anyways, be aware of this bitter-sweet fact.

Reference:

I have oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin. I have a pale complexion with golden/yellow undertones. I'm basically derived from all the European Snow People (Norwegian, Dutch, Irish). My shade in both formulas was 150 Buff.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No