November 21, 2014 | 1647 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2013 7:09:00 AM More reviews by Alexandra123Y

This is the review for the Oily/Combination version (24 hrs). I like the foundation on overall. It's a full to medium coverage. Just after application it is quite visible but not long after it seems to blend in providing almost completely natural finish. Feels comfortable on the skin, doesn't move or oxidize.
    I tried applying the foundation with a dense brush which works quite well. Found that a wet sponge provides bit less coverage and a more natural finish which I prefer. Yet the latter technique is more time consuming.
    A few drawbacks: a little thick, thus, bit difficult to work with. Maybe mine is old but it is really thick making it difficult to get it out of the bottle.Next is the packaging. It's just a glass bottle with a screw cap. Why couldn't they provide a pump, especially when it is so difficult to get the product out.
    The shade I own is Sand Beige which is bit light for me. I'd assume it will work best for NW20 maybe even 15. No pink or yellow undertones, rather neutral, I'd say graying even.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/25/2013 6:13:00 PM More reviews by BEAUTYISBOLD

I was dying to try out this foundation but since I have around 5 other different foundations I waited to purchase. Once i finally finised up one foundation it gave me a reason to go buy the foundation. I went to a local Rite Aid, that was having a deal on Revlon cosmetics buy one get on 50%. So i purchased the foundation. Finding my color was not difficult at all due to them having a wide variety of shades. I ended up trying the foundation the nxt day and i loved the coverage. I notice my skin starting to feel itchy but I brushed that off. Then went through out my day and my face developed a rash!! Similar looking to a heat rash, I liked the coverage the foundation gave I tried it again..i know i shouldnt have but I couldnt help myself. lol i had the same problem again..itchiness..and bumps..So sadly i returned the foundation back to the store, I was disapointed because i loved the coverage but my skin is more important! haha.,

rated 3 of 5 on 9/25/2013 5:51:00 PM More reviews by AmazingBella

I really wanted to love this foundation like everybody else. I guess I'm one of the few that weren't impressed. I did like the finish that this gave but it didn't last long at all. After a few hours i looked in a mirror and saw that a lot of the coverage of the makeup was gone . I really thought that this would make me look flawless all day :/

rated 3 of 5 on 9/20/2013 8:26:00 PM More reviews by HappyUnicornSmile

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Pros:

1. Great finish. It doesn't look like you have make up on, except for after just applying. Once it melts into your skin, however, it looks just like skin. The longer you wear this, the more it looks natural, which is the opposite of most make up (the longer you wear them, the more they begin looking unnatural and obvious).

2. Great colors! I found my match by swatching them in the store (SHHHHHHH, don't tell anyone!) and I had no trouble. The color matched my face perfectly, which is odd because there's so many different undertones and skin colors in this big, beautiful, world of ethnic variety. Yet, the color matched me perfectly.

3. Two different formulas: one for oily/combo skin and one for dry skin. I've tried them both. Because I'm adventurous like that.

Cons:

1.Made my skin break out. Sometimes it takes my very sensitive skin a while to have a reaction, sometimes it doesn't. I wore this for about a month, and didn't have any issues (unless I failed to get allllll the make up off of my face. Then pores became a bit clogged). After that month, I began breaking out in cystic acne. I scientifically eliminated the culprit down to this make up.

2. Extremely difficult for me to remove at night. With the gain of godly lasting power, one must sacrifice the ease of washing off. My normal face scrub (St. Ives Apricot) wouldn't get this off. I ended up using coconut oil to get it off (great eye make up remover) and then washing my face with scrub. This got most of the make up off, but not all. I imagine a face brush like Clarisonic or Olay would do the job if you added that into the type of routine I was using (make up remover plus face wash).

3. Packaging. I know this is EVERYWHERE in the Revlon Colorstay complaint world. But, I can't be thorough without mentioning it. This only bothered me moderately. I simply shook the formula up (says on the packing that it separates so you have to shake it every time), pour some out on the back of my hand, and apply. Not too big of a deal, I just felt like my hand was soaking up product and it was going to waste because my hands are sexy as is.

Comments:

This was a great make up, and I was willing to compromise with it and make it work because I had never found something so compatible with me, and with what I dreamt my foundation in shining armor should be.However, we had to break up because my skin has a bad reaction to this.

As I stated above, I've tried both formulas. I have oily skin, but my store was out of the oily/combo formula so I bought the normal/dry skin formula. I used it for about 3 weeks. I liked it. I used the oily skin formula for 2 weeks, and then on again, off again after that because I wanted to see if it was breaking me out. Then I tried the dry skin on again, off again to see if that would break me out. Both of them cause cystic acne. The only discernible difference I found between the formulas on me is that the dry skin emphasizes flakiness around current blemishes more so than the oily formula.

I have also used Double Wear foundation, and this is basically the same as Double Wear. So if you use DW and want a cheaper alternative, USE THIS. You won't regret it. I think the color matching is better with Revlon.

I believe they are coming out with a new bottle that includes a pump. But, there's a catch (isn't there always?). The bottles with pumps now contain a different reformulated formula. Haha, "reformulated formula". Anyways, be aware of this bitter-sweet fact.

Reference:

I have oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin. I have a pale complexion with golden/yellow undertones. I'm basically derived from all the European Snow People (Norwegian, Dutch, Irish). My shade in both formulas was 150 Buff.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2013 11:12:00 PM More reviews by Qtraro

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this product, I recently got Loreal Infallible to try instead and it has nothing on the Colorstay foundtion. Colorstay is so much better now they have the pump bottle I used to make such a mess with it. The only issue I have with Colorstay is it is so expensive in New Zealand around $45nzd for a bottle... but I guess you've gotta pay for quality.

Things I love most
    - It does what it says, it doesn't budge all day and sets quick and evenly
    - Easy to apply
    - Good colour range
    - Pump bottle so no product wastage
    - Oily/Combination doesn't dry my skin

Overall love it nothing else comes close.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/18/2013 1:26:00 AM More reviews by Bafisher13

I have been using this product for about 10 years .. Absolutely loved this foundation never used anything else until I noticed spring of this year they changed the formula.. It stopped staying on coming off on my clothes kinda like slipping off made my face really oily. So sad I wish they would change back.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2013 12:04:00 PM More reviews by haleyanna19

Just another positive review here for color stay. I used this in high school and hated it, I looked so cakey....read all the good reviews here and decided to try it again since it had been about 5 yrs since I used it. Nice coverage, good color range...stays put through my 13 hour shift as a RN. What more can I say? Try it out ladies!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2013 11:17:00 PM More reviews by ayokristi

I LOVE THIS PRODUCT! I think I've bought about 10 bottles or since I discovered it. I love the coverage, especially since i have some acne, and many dark sports. It makes my face look close to perfect. It really does stay on all day long, from morning till 10 PM. It's my favorite, and I've tried many foundations.
    The cons are that it's kind of heavy for everyday and somewhat cakey. Also, I don't like the glass bottle because its heavy and can break easily in my purse.
    But overall, I really love this product and I don't know what I'd do if they ever took it off the shelves.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2013 3:45:00 PM More reviews by xxpopopxx

This has been one of my favourite foundations these past years. One of the best things about this foundation is has excellent coverage. After long hours this foundation will still stick to your face. However you would definitely need to set it with powder though or can come across as kind of too dewy or oily. I'm pretty sure if went swimming with this on it will still stay on your face !

My big problem with this is that it can be too much coverage, as in it's really heavy. So if you don't have much acne or only need light coverage I don't think this would be the best foundation. Another thing is the bottle design is absolutely horrible! There is no pump so every time I try pour it out I always end up pouring too much !

Despite the cons this will always remain one of my favourite drugstore foundations and my go to foundation if my face have some serious spots to cover up !

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2013 12:36:00 PM More reviews by katie979

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

About me: NC25 / combo (but reeeally oily during summer) / acne prone

I have to say I really love this!!! I got the combo/oily skin formula in Sand Beige and it matches perfectly. Of all foundations I've ever used this is the best. I think it's my HG :)

It really lasts all day long, I put it on at 6am and by 3pm it still looks good. It depends on the weather if I need to touch up or not, but if I do it's only once.

During the day I apply it with my fingers to achieve medium coverage (and whenever I feel like I put trasclucent powder on top to set, again, depends on the weather) , and when I'm going out at night I use a foundation brush to get full coverage.

The only con is that the bottle does not come with a pump which is really annoying ... I still give it 5 lippies though.

It is a bit pricey to be a DS product but it's worth it, I will repurchase when I run out of it!

Combo and oily gals give it a try!