October 2, 2014 | 1046 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2013 1:57:00 AM More reviews by poppy606

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Firstly to explain my lippie ratings. I gave it an overall of 5, as I feel for a drugstore product it really delivers. The price is ok, and the packaging I think is great as I got it in a glass bottle with a pump...can't ask for better than that.

I got the normal to dry formula for a few reasons. Firstly, I always use a setting powder so do not require a completely matte finish. Also I have always found that matte foundations oxidise more than their semi-matte counterparts. A lot of people complain about chalkiness, you tend to avoid the caking and chalkiness if your foundation is not entirely matte, as it is the additives in the foundations that cause them to dry on your skin, that also causes oxidation and caking.

I also find the normal to dry skin formula very easy to work with. It is buildable and gives a very even finish, and looks very smooth when finished off with a setting powder. I also use translucent powders, or blot powder as I do not want to add any color by way of powder.

I have this product in the lightest shade, ivory. It is a nice match for my pale skin. The staying power is very good, and is easy to touch up (much easier than the drier combination/oily option).

I know a lot of people like a very matte product, but I think this is a mistake, especially for more mature skins. Try the normal to dry version. It does not completely dry into your fine lines, and gives a much more silky and youthful look to your skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2013 6:58:00 PM More reviews by Samiraaa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This foundation had extremely good coverage, and is easy to layer. I have medium to severe acne and I have oily/combination skin. I love how my skin doesn't get too greasy when I wear it and it keeps me from getting shiny for hours. It also stays put- even without a primer. The only thing I don't like is that I couldn't find a color that matches my skin nicely and it feels VERY thick and heavy on my face. This NEEDS to be set with a powder no matter what, or else it will feel very heavy on your face and will get oily pretty quickly.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2013 6:17:00 PM More reviews by lauraellen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use the combination one, in Ivory. I used to mix Ivory with Buff as it seemed perfect for my skin tone, but I now think that's a little too dark. Lasts all day although I frequently blot and powder. Doesn't slip off and doesn't feel like a mask. My trusted foundation and the best I've found so far. I'm on a quest to find a BB Cream in the same shade with the same qualities.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/14/2013 12:07:00 PM More reviews by kels1190

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used this foundation for a while, and it was acceptable. It just seems like it doesn't cover, and just really works like a tinted lotion I guess? I try to put enough on, but it doesn't seem to cover very well. If that makes sense, I don't know. I recently switched to Mac. It costs more, but everything more expensive, usually is that way for a reason: It works well. But if I don't have quick access to Mac, I guess I may prchase this again. I think after I found something better, it made this foundation look worse to me.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/13/2013 1:04:00 PM More reviews by QueenGorgon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this foundation has excellent staying power but it does break me out. it is inexpensive but not worth the bumpy skin....i will stick with black opal til I find out about a better product.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/12/2013 3:44:00 PM More reviews by angelitaaguila

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I don't understand why I don't like this. It seems like even aliens rave about this product but I just don't get it. It doesn't last as long as my covergirl 3 in 1. Honestly I don't understand this. Its one of those products that you must try on your skin because I just don't get it. It just sits on my skin. Its like its not my skin but yet it doesn't cover what I need. Its almost liquidly and thick at the same time. IDK. I guess I just love how my covergirl dries almost to a powder finish. I guess its not really the foundation but me. I just prefer other things for the things my necessities are. And this foundation doesn't cover them.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2013 7:38:00 PM More reviews by Lirong

I tried some high ends foundations but this is the one I always come back to. I think the price is fair, works perfect on my combination skin and ivory 110 feets perfectly. Staying power is great and it doesnt get cakey. Looks good on photos too!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/11/2013 11:45:00 AM More reviews by Affy32

I really wanted to like this foundation. I always read reviews on stuff before I buy because I don't want it to be a waste of money. After reading tons of reviews and watching loads of videos i decided to purchase this from Walmart for $14.99. I don't mind spending a lot of money on foundation because i think its essential for your make up to look good. This foundation is "expensive" for a drugstore foundation. When I first applied it the coverage was okay for me, not great and it didn't break me out which was a plus. I have medium oily skin and lasting power was really great as well. After a month of use of wearing this foundation almost everyday i noticed that i started breaking out on the same spot over and over again. To make matters worse it dried out my skin in some spots and made my skin oilier in others. My skin because so dry to the point lf flaking and scaling skin. It was disgusting. And when you would apply this foundation it would cling to the dryness. Overall I am not satisfied with this foundation, I know it works for a lot of people but unfortunatley it just didnt work for me. I will not recommend this to anyone

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2013 11:11:00 AM More reviews by metalmynx

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I can't believe a drugstore foundation is this great, but it is. I was looking for a foundation to transition into the fall (I usually wear Bare Minerals all summer since I have oily skin) and got samples of MAC Mineralize and MAC Pro longwear. I wasn't impressed with either one of them so from all the great reviews here, I decided to try ColorStay. It's great! I apply it with my MAC foundation brush and it leaves a nice even finish, but doesn't look like my face is caked with makeup. I really like the range of shades and this doesn't seem to oxidize on my skin nor does it make me super greasy - although I have to set it with powder, I have to set everything with powder so that's not a drawback. My only complaint is that this needs to have a pump since the foundation is a thicker liquid and it's hard to get out of the bottle. Nothing not to like about the price, either! Two thumbs up for this one. I may not even bother going back to my MAC Studio Fix Fluid!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/10/2013 5:44:00 PM More reviews by LolaMay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Okay, so I have used both versions of this foundation, despite being very oily and acne-prone. I will explain this when I review the formulation for Normal/Dry. I will update that part of the review later.

Combination/Oily Formulation
    *PROS*
    *Wears ALL DAY, so great, especially for those with very oily skin
    *Great coverage that can range from light to full depending on method of application
    *Decent price for the product
    *Sets to a matte finish

*CONS
    *After a day's time of wear, this may have cracked a little bit or get into lines
    *OXIDIZES. Unfortunately this is why I had to stop using this. I am very fair-skinned, so it was incredibly noticeable when this oxidized, even with blending it down my neck :(
    *Could use some lighter shades than the current lightest for those with very fair skin.
    *Packaging. I wish this was in a squeeze tube, but I have been transferring new bottles into an old (but sanitized) foundation bottle with a pump top.

Normal/Dry Formulation