July 28, 2014 | 1347 users online

Highlighters - Yves Saint Laurent - Touche Eclat No 1

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2010 4:01:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: Very nice as a very subtle highlighter. Not greasy at all! I sometimes use for my dark circles. I'm N15 (leaning toward NC) & I like #1 for a highlighter.

CONS: Expensive. Too thin for bad circles.

ALTERNATES: HE - Chanel Eclat Lumiere (I think it's even more divine than this.) For a bit of subtle shimmer, Laura Mercier's Secret Brightener.

REMOVAL TIPS: If using this for more than the eyes and you are prone to clogging, you may want to remove this with a cleansing oil before using your regular cleanser.

*****There are more reviews for this in the primer/corrector category. (I don't know why it's under that category.)********

rated 4 of 5 on 10/29/2010 1:44:00 AM More reviews by jmsk112486

I am an absolute total makeup junkie. If it is on the market I've probably tried it. However, I resisted buying the YSL Touche Eclat because a. I thought I don't under eye concealer, b. it can't be that great, and c. its damn expensive for such a little thing. Now that I've tried it, it pretty nulls all of the above. I got mine during FF sale and first I tried the sample. I hated the sample because it felt really thick and seemed to move my foundation around. I decided to try the actual product and OMG; it's totally awesome! I look rested, awake and literally glowing. I love the way it look and feels so far. Best of all it doesn't seem to settle into my non-existent wrinkles that some under eye concealer is prone to (looking at Bobbi Brown, Benefit) I think every need under eye concealer, you just have the find the right one... I think I found mine.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/27/2010 2:55:00 PM More reviews by ouqtinvu

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this under the impression that it was both a highlighter AND a concealer. I'm very fair with dark hair and naturally dark circles under my eyes so I'm always on the hunt for great concealers. This is a total disappointment for me and I am going to return it to Sephora - even on FF sale it's not worth keeping. The one nice thing I can say about it was that it didn't crease. After applying it I just looked as tired as before. Obviously I need stronger more opaque concealers like Laura Mercier or Bobbi Brown. If you are buying this only as a concealer - try it first as it is a very expensive item to be such a failure for me. If you just want a highlighter maybe you'll like it. Just not for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/28/2010 10:45:00 PM More reviews by tobermory12

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This product did seem to help with highlighting and lighting the dark spots in the inner corner of my eyes. However, I was advised by the salesperson at YSL counter to ensure that I wipe the brush off after use with a tissue and rubbing alcohol. She didn't say why exactly, but I soon found out because after a couple of weeks, mould (or was it mildew?) started growing in the base of the brush. It could not be removed. The entire tube had to be junked, and it would appear that for $50, I had cultivated some rather expensive fungi. Sad, really, because pre-mouldy brush, I liked the product and what it did for me. But because of the packaging flaw, I would not buy it again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2010 1:13:00 PM More reviews by neveranaddict

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this for variation's sake when I really missed that Mr. Givenchy Light. Pas la meme chose. Touche Eclat in lightest shade, #1, had the same pink-light color as Mr. Light (which may seem strange for pink to cover undereye blue areas) however Mr. light covers the blue (!? yes! the shock!) and Touche Eclat does not. It also does not go well with all foundations, sometimes it cakes up (like with YSL Teint Mat). I think it is more silicone-ey than Mr. Light, I have no idea who invented this first, YSL or Givenchy, and I mean no harm done to anyone's copyright by comparing the two, but I must say - Touche Eclat, I expected better from you.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2010 12:11:00 AM More reviews by msclaudia

My favorite under eye concealer, I much much much prefer this to Bare Escentuals, Laura Mercier Concealer, and MAC which all suck for me. Touche Eclat is not cakey, doesn't settle into fine lines, and looks smooth and natural while making my eyes look nice and bright. The trick is to brush it on, LET IT DRY a bit, and then gently pat it to blend and even it out.

The cost and packaging irks me, I hate that my germaphobia makes me want to wash the brush before I use it but then I get all worried about contaminating the remaining concealer in the tube. So the brush continues to go unwashed, I spritz it with alcohol and wipe every so often. This doesn't do well over pimples but it looks great under the eyes, in the inner corners of the eyes, and on the brow bone as a subtle highlighter. I'm asian, medium toned skin with yellow undertones and the #1 (which is made for fair to light complexions with pink undertones) looks good albeit very bright on me. I'm excited that they released #8 which is made for light to medium complexions with yellow/golden undertones, I'll be buying that once this tube is done.

UPDATE

Bumped this down to 2 stars. Not sure which ingredient it was, but it started making my skin patchy dry and flaky where ever I applied it. I suspect it's the mineral oil. I hate the fact that YSL makes premium priced products with subpar ingredients. I guess it should be expected from a fashion brand. Also, it doesn't actually conceal things I need concealed like blemishes/acne, it basically only brightens up the eyes. Returned this ages ago and will never be buying again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2010 7:15:00 AM More reviews by soleil_kitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Misty Soft is one of the new eyeshadow duos available from Chanel. Even though my collection is quite huge I recently realized I have a pattern: Everything neutral-coolish in soft or dramatic browns is what rocks my boat and makes my blue-green eyes pop. So Misty-Soft turned out to be latest addition, I just had to have it. The brighter side of the duo is a very light, shimmery beige. I read a review elsewhere where somebody said it had lavender undertones. I'm torn about that statement. In artificial light there's nothing to be found but in natural light it actually does seem to have a subtle lilac sheen. It's a very pretty, very unique colour I hadn't had yet. The finish on the lid is bright and luminous and it leaves enough colour to actually look like eyeshadow on me. I could well imagine, however, that it would look too subtle on girls with darker skin (I'm NC15, for reference). As for the dark brown, it's very cool, matte & muted. A lovely shade to compliment blue eyes, I must say. It goes well with the lighter eyeshadow and it's easy to apply & blend. No fallout at all!! I figure it would make a lovely smoky eyes combination if you layer the colour but it's also easy to do a nude-ish office look by just accenting crease and lashlines. Both shades are absolutely colourfast so what you see is what you get on the lid which is something I always find important. I've had one too many disappointments regarding that. When looking in the mirror my eyemake-up is definitely on the cool side, they're not quite as neutral as other neutrals which should be interesting to winter types such as me. In combination with Chanel's "Pink Explosion" blush the look is perfect & flawless! The eyeshadow comes in the trademark black laquer box, complete with two applictors (that I don't use) & mirror. It's a solid weight but still small enough to not take up a lot of space. The price for this pretty baby is a whopping 36 but, in my book, worth every single cent. Highly recommended!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2010 11:24:00 AM More reviews by chrissygalpal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This an easy product to use. And it works. Great for adding life to your skin. Great hightlighter. Its smooth on the skin and easy to blend. You can use it with foundation or by itself. I love to use it on the brow bone and above my lips and on the inside corner of my eyes. You only need to use one click. Goes a long way.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2010 4:36:00 AM More reviews by JolieBelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am going to write a review on this product although i don't own it at the present moment (have owned it in the past, thus belatedly).

First of all- this product is not a concealer. It is clearly stated on the website of YSL, this pen is a highlighter meant to 'brighten the complexions and eliminate signs of fatigue'. to all the ladies who complained it didn't cover dark circles- well, it wasn't even meant to do so.

I personally believe it is not worth it and i am going to tell you why (from my personal experience). While on the website they praise the universality of shade #1, stating it's a 'universal' shade, suitable for every skintone and skin type, it is not quite like this.

The product, being a highlighter, comes in three shades which is confusing. The #1 is on the pink side and indeed, it just gives glow and brightens the area; but the orangey, beigy, more flesh-tinted #3 (i think, i don't remember exactly which number) can be confused with a concealer because, well, how many highlighters would you need? it is indeed difficult to decide without expert advice and the SA's are usually not well informed unfortunately.

it's quite simple. as long as you don't confuse it with a concealer it's all okay. i personally wouldn't pay so much money (again) for a product that has been duped by so many other brands, including the aforementioned ones here, in this review thread- Chanel, Clinique, Clarins, even Maybelline and L'Oreal. However, you have to be careful.

L'Oreal's Touche Magique is NOT a highlighter; they made the same mistake many people make and thought YSL's pen was a concealer; therefore, they tried duping it. The result- white paste with a beautiful shimmer and good highlighting properties, but it gives the skin a white-ish residue (like a concealer, because it's supposed to 'cover') and that's a deal breaker. Many women wrongfully assumed it was a concealer and weren't happy with the limited shade palette or with the lack of coverage; when they used it as a highlighter, they complained about the 'residues', because that was what the product was initially intended for.

getting back at the YSL one, well all you have to do to get good results are to follow the instructions on the website if you're not sure where exactly to apply it to get the illuminating effect as they advertise.

however, my problem with this product has been that it is NOT just a simple highlighter. no matter how much they tried, the product still leaves a 'mark', leaves residue where the illumination only was supposed to be. i literally end up with raccoon eyes and i HATE having a white-ish area under my eyes. it ages my face, it gives an unnatural impression (especially in summer or when i'm using a bronzer, which is quite every day), therefore i stopped using it (maaaany many months ago). i'd rather invest in a good concealer, like the Effacernes or Laura Mercier, and get the SAME color under my eyes as i have on the rest of my face.

Believe me (and all the other makeup artists who've been raving about this wrong belief about concealers and highlighter), nothing can make you look good as matching your undereye area with the rest of your face does. It's the key concept behind revolutionary products and practices, such as Eve Pearl's salmon concealer for example. other concealers leave light areas under the eyes whereas the orangey, pink-tinted ones that mimic your REAL skintone manage to conceal and brighten up the entire face.

i personally do not recommend this product. it is of good quality in terms of fine, delicate and beautiful highlighting (sheer glow, no glitter or shimmer). However, the cream is not transparent, but very light, as i said. so you'll end up confused, like most girls here who think Touche Eclat is a concealer when it's not, and if you're lucky, it will illuminate....a nicely whitened undereye area.

i think there are products out there that do the job for less of the price, like the Chanel one (i think it's actually the same price but it wouldn't hurt varying), the Clinique one or MY FAVORITE, the Clarins brightening pen.

happy shopping everyone!

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2010 3:16:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

CONS: Expensive. Too thin for bad circles.