August 22, 2014 | 1897 users online

Loose Powders - Coty - Airspun Loose Face Powder

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 4/21/2013 4:09:00 AM More reviews by Heath32

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I always come back to this stuff; it really is the most finely "spun" face powder I've ever come across. I use it over concealer on minimalist days and it looks great, and it's good for setting foundation and evening out your complexion. I've grown to find the scent comforting; it's that classic smell that some would call "old lady-ish," but it doesn't make your face smell that way, if that's a concern. I apply it with an EcoTools brush, and you can build it and build it - it's difficult to make it look cakey. I tried a different brand of powder and couldn't believe how heavy it looked, because I was so used to the lightness of the Coty powder. My only complaint is that the packaging is very big and bulky - not good for traveling. I was sad to hear people say that it has "bad" ingredients in it.

Update: As much as it pains me to say it, I think I'm going to have to stop using this powder. Isopropyl, especially Isopropyl Palmitate, has been found to be extremely comedogenic when applied regularly and in large amounts. The first ingredient in this powder? Isopropyl Palmitate. I've had constantly clogged pores for years - the only thing in my routine that hasn't changed is this powder, so it seems pretty likely to be the culprit. I took off some lippies for that.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2013 12:55:00 AM More reviews by swatters

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this powder every day, it is one of my favorites. I have used the same little paper tub for years. I'm a little sad that the packaging has changed, but it just makes me love the one I have even more. There is a very retro feel to it. It's so cheap and lasts forever, sets my foundation and is a classic for me. Love.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2013 2:25:00 PM More reviews by beautypiano

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have this product in "Translucent." I've been using this for a while, so I think I can review it now. First off, my skin is naturally quite dry and doesn't really produce oil on its own; however, I slather my face in sunscreen and moisturizer every day, so I can sometimes look a bit greasy when I step out of the house. So I can't speak to wear time if your skin is actively producing oil, but I do know how it applies and looks on skin that's got some oil on it already. Simple fact is, this powder actually does a great job of mattifying without making my skin look overly chalky or "oddly" matte. There's still a slight glow to my skin, but I don't leave the house looking like a greaseball. Second of all, that finish lasts all day; it doesn't look like the powder wears off my skin at all (although, as I said, my skin doesn't actively produce much oil, so your mileage may vary as with all face products).

There is a gentle, slightly sweet fragrance to the product, so you may want to skip this if your skin is sensitive to that kind of thing. I personally find it quite pleasant and not overpowering, sharp, or "chemical" at all. The product comes packaged in a tub with two lids: the upper one comes off easily and reveals a puff, and the one under the puff you have to pry up with your fingernails. I prefer a fluffy brush for powder application, but I've used the puff a few times and it applies okay as well.

Ultimately, whether you like this product will be entirely dependent on your skin chemistry and type. But I'd encourage you to give it a try--especially if you're not ultra-oily, you just want a nice silky smooth matte finish to your skin (which is the big runway makeup trend this year, as opposed to the bright dewy faces we've seen in previous springs). I will probably repurchase when I run out--which will take a while, there's a TON of product in there--because it's a nice, easy to use, no-fuss product that does exactly what I want it to.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2013 1:16:00 AM More reviews by HeartsConsent

A friend of mine uses this product and her face looks flawless. I love how cheap it is and I will definitely buy it myself once I decide to wear some type of face product. The little cotton pad applicator is nice and soft. It smells like baby powder, but it's not that strong. I found it at Walmart, but decided against buying it for now, since I wouldn't have a real use for it. But seeing as how my friend's face looks so nice, I'd recommend it. Her face never gets cakey, and I love that.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2013 6:39:00 PM More reviews by Paigeparker13

I am 16 years old, living in HUMID HUMID Kentucky. My skin is and always has been so oily and the humidity only worsens this. I had no specific powder in mind because normally all I need it for is small touch ups over my mattifying Merle Norman Liquid Foundation.
While glancing around the isles, I stumbled upon this loose powder. I figured, why not? The price was appealing and the packaging was just okay.. Which is why I didn't give it a very high rating. It doesn't screw on which scares me and I'm too afraid to carry it with me throughout the day in anywhere but a safe, secure spot in my car.. Or fear of it coming open. ANYWAYS. I got home and was looking forward to try this on my face because it was about time for a touch up. I bought the translucent shade and was surprised to find that it has an odd scent? Which took me by surprise. I've read some reviewers had said they can't use it because of this but to me, the scent wears off in no time at all.
This product is absolutely amazing!!! Today was the first day I've ever looked in the mirror and had been pleasantly surprised at the level of oil on my face.. HARDLY ANY! (I applied this around 6:30 am and looked in the mirror for the first time to touch up around 3:00 pm)
I gave my Maybelline SuperStay Liquid Foundation a try under this powder to see how it really held up, seeing as that foundation tends to make me shiny. But not today! My face truly did look air brushed and flawless.. Even my boyfriend commented on how soft my skin looks! I can easily over look the scent and awful packaging.. Just a quick sweep over my makeup in the morning and MAYBE once or twice throughout the day. I sort of dont mind the little bit if natural shine that peeks through! Needless to say I will definitely be repurchasing!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2013 6:50:00 AM More reviews by AlyK89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I purchased this on a whim after seeing it shoved all alone under the makeup brushes in my Walmart. It was under $5, so I thought I'd try it! I very much like the finish it gives my face, it feels silky, and overall it's pretty much the best loose powder I've used. It is very finely milled. The ones I see now are no longer in that cardboard box, so it's not so messy. You get a HUGE container and it will surely last years. I like to take a smaller loose powder compact, pop the sifter out and put some of this in it - for my purse :) Better than carrying around the huge container.

As for the smell, ah, I personally love it, and really I only smell it while I use it - it doesn't linger for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/1/2013 2:51:00 PM More reviews by Rapt1m3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This powder isn't appropriate for oily skin OR those who don't want mineral oil on their face. I thought I was going nuts when I'd use it to mattify my shiny areas, then feel greasy again quite soon. It's because it contains mineral oil and lanolin!

Too bad, I loved the packaging.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2013 1:14:00 PM More reviews by JenniferJMK

I have been using this product forever! I hate to say it, but I have always been a little embarrassed to admit to loving this product. It is so inexpensive, and has a very "old grandma" feel to it. However, it is the greatest. I have extremely fair skin/shallow/combination skin. I have tried several other loose and pressed powders, but they all end up being too dark or they turn yellowish after a few hours. This powder stays true to its color, light in texture...but does a great job at setting foundation, hiding some imperfection, and never cakes up. Works well with a puff or a brush...looks flawless when buffed in with a brush. Even with daily/heavy use, it last me 6+ months.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2013 12:48:00 AM More reviews by ExoticAlbino

As an imperfect, oily, fair skinned woman - I swear by this loose powder, & pray they never discontinue it. It's very low thrill, but really who needs a powder that's gimmicky & overpriced? For about $6, this container will last you a good 6 months - 2 years with daily use. I find that my face doesn't look pretty with foundation alone, because this powder adds extra coverage & blurs imperfections further. I have tried almost every setting powder out there & this one beats them all. It keeps my face more matte than anything else on the market. In summer of 2010 my skin went INSANE producing oil, because I live in hot, humid TX. I had never broken out so badly. One night I slept with this on, to try controling the oil. The next day, I woke up & it looked a little less irritated. I continued doing this for a week & my acne was gone! It really does absorb the oil.

Tip: Coty makes many different shades for this powder. I can RARELY find any of them other than the translucent one. Translucent is a very pale, cool toned powder. If you are warm toned, be sure to find Naturally Nuetral. It's "translucent" too, but with a yellow undertone. CVS & Walgreens have a decent selection.

The only con about Coty Airspun Loose Powder is it can be overdone. My face nearly always looks powdery, regardless of the fact I produce so much oil. The solution to this? Use a setting spray.

*EDIT*: I still reccomend this powder. It'll probably always be a staple in my collection. However, having to resort to using a setting spray? That sucks & defeats the purpose of using an oil absorbing powder in the first place. I now use Palladio Rice Powder & would reccomend it to anyone that loves Coty Airspun. It gets rid of the shine & sets my make up quite nicely without being heavy.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2013 10:26:00 PM More reviews by clarabeau

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this powder so much. There is a reason this powder has been around since 1935! I use the shade Naturally Neutral, which is very pale but the least pink of all the shades. Most of the shades ARE pale and pink, which I think the only thing really problematic about the Airspun powders. They need more shades! And even the Naturally Neutral shade is a smidge too pink for me... although I don't mind and make it work. I think it actually helps keep me from looking sallow... I'm really pale and try to make my skin look more "English rose" than "consumptive Dickens orphan child," and this seems to help in that regard, making me look more glowy and healthy.

This powder sets my mineral makeup really well! I really notice a difference between when I use it and when I don't bother to set my makeup with this powder. And it stays put and controls any oilies better than other powders I have used, even more expensive powders. (ahem, Mineral Veil!)

I also like that this doesn't dry out my already dry skin, in fact it seems to help it hold in moisture, which is weird and unexpected. I think it's because it has mineral oil in it? Which brings me to another point- because of the mineral oil and fragrance I was worried I would break out. But no problems on that front whatsoever, and it balances my skin so well.

I also love the smell! I sometimes even notice it throughout the day and don't mind at all, since it's so lovely. Yes, it smells a bit "old lady," and if smells in cosmetics bother you a lot, you probably wouldn't care for this powder. I think I like the smell a lot mainly because my great-grandmother wore this powder for decades so the fragrance reminds me of her instantly. One of my earliest memories is of watching her do her makeup in the bathroom of her old house, and I would be sitting there on the bathtub admiring her ritual. Even into her 90s she always had amazing skin. The powder didn't exactly match her skin (she had a more almond-colored skin tone) but it was sheer enough that it still looked pretty and skin was always velvet-y. I love that I can still use this and think of her whenever I use it! She was always glamorous and had great taste, so I should have known this would be good stuff.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No