November 26, 2014 | 1727 users online

Other - Braun Epilator

rated 2 of 5 on 6/2/2008 10:58:00 AM More reviews by IncaColaCutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really should start this review with a LOUD SHRIEK. This is a torture device. If you don't mind painful hair removal, you'll get better results with waxing. At least with waxing the pain isn't prolonged!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2008 11:58:00 PM More reviews by boqueron

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

General description of product:
This is a review for the Braun silk epil 5270, purchased at Target. The kit contains instruction, epilator, two epilator heads, a little carrying case, a brush thing to clean it with, and an attachment meant to clip hair if it is over the recommended length of 5mm. The directions note to ensure your legs are free of lotion and that hair is around 2-5mm in length before using this.
Out of the box:
I read the instructions (sort of) and had a look at the epilator. Upon seeing the epilating head I was completely panicked, thinking it looked like something out of a horror film. DH had a look too and promptly christened it the tweezers of terror. It does not look like tweezers, more like small scary razor sharp things. I was not excited to try it out. I read the instructions again to stall for time, and finally just turned it on. It has a little light on it, which is really helpful for those of us with really light hair. I held it at a 90 degree angle to my skin as recommended in the instructions, and approached my leg with it, backing out at the last minute. I went to the fridge, poured and quickly drank a large glass of wine, and before I could chicken out, quickly shoved it on my leg, afraid loss of limb or at least blood, was about to occur. The package does mention that children and invalids should not use this, but it doesn't say not to use it while drinking alcohol :) Well, as someone who tried the Epilady that came out in the late 80s or maybe early 90s, I was surprised to find this quick first pass relatively painless. I literally shrieked using one of the first Epilady contraptions in junior high, and decided that I would rather be as hairy as Tom Selleck than to ever try that again. This was different.
What it did: As someone who occasionally relies on wearing jeans as a viable alternative to leg shaving in the winter, I was shocked at how easy and relatively painless the entire experience was. I epilated one leg in only a few minutes and found my leg to be so smooth that I then wanted to remove the hair off pretty much everything. DH and dear cat ran for cover, either from the loud noise of the epilator or from my apparent desire to epilate everything in sight, I can't really say for certain.
Overall impression: My legs are still smooth after 8 days. I have been very careful to exfoliate to ensure that no ingrowns occur, and so far, so good! I will say that my legs are not super hairy anyway, I generally shave every three days and have fine, course, reddish blonde hair. Not sure if that matters or not! I am extremely happy with the epilator and would definitely repurchase! Now if only I can find a solution to the ONE grey eyebrow hair I seem to have sprouted...... continued >>

36 out of 36 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2008 4:05:00 PM More reviews by marriedarockstar

I purchased the Braun 5270 epilator about a year ago, and I couldn't be more pleased! Of course, the first time you use it, it will hurt, but it has definitely gotten better over the course of time. I use it once a week, and it usually takes about 15-20 minutes to finish. Considering that I used to shave everyday, this is so worth it to me! I love having smooth legs for a week at a time, and I will continue to purchase if necessary.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2008 6:00:00 PM More reviews by MomColors

I tried both the Silk Body System 5270 (blue) and the Soft Perfection (pink) 3170. I was using it on my face and decided this was not a good idea. The area was quite bumpy for a long time. Hey, I know these are for other body parts but I've tried everything.I did think they both did what they were supposed to do. As other reviewers have suggested use the 20% off coupon and you can't go wrong.

Pain: 5270 was less painful -follow the directions it really works
Hair Removal: 5270 was better
Cost: 3170 was less expensive

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2008 5:58:00 AM More reviews by evanesco

BRAUN SILK-ťPIL EPILATOR

There will be more pictures below. There's going to be descriptions on what they are, and how they are used.

Price: 74.99 at Target
Hurt Factor: (haha) 4 out of 5

Also, please note that everyone has a different pain tolerance. This is a review based on how I felt when I used it. If I didn't feel pain doesn't necessarily mean that you won't feel it. (:

What is an EPILATOR?

- An Epilator is a device where instead of regular shaving, where it will just cut off the hairs on your legs, etc., an Epilator will pull off the hair. You can say it's another way to wax.

Does it hurt?

- From my experience, it didn't really hurt at all. The only place where I cringed at A LITTLE was my ankle and at the first swipe, my thigh. Please consider that I have a high tolerance for hair pulling. Meaning that if someone were to pull a hair out of my head, it wouldn't hurt. But overall, it did not hurt at all.

What does it feel like?

- After a while, I began to notice that when it pulls out my hair, it feels as if you're leg is numb like the needle-like numb kind. So if you can stand that, you can most likely stand this.

So let's get started on what's what!

My hair: is thin, not that dark.

When I held the Epilator, it was fairly medium sized. Just perfect for handling a device. I didn't find it bulky at all. Here's what it looks like compared to a quarter.

Now, when I first saw the Epilator's head itself, I was scared out of my wits! LOL. It looked intimidating, (I'll be calling this part of the epilator the "intimidating head") but it's not at all! You can actually touch your finger with it and it wouldn't cut your finger. It shouldn't, anyway. Ignore the hair like things, that's a cotton ball, I was de-sanitizing it. LOL. :D

This detachable head came with the Epilator first. It's for the "newbies." There are two massaging rolls. They're supposed to soothe your pain since it would be the first time using it. However, when I first used it, all that I found was that it tickled me to death! So I detached that head and moved on to the other detachable head.

This one worked wonders for me! Didn't tickled at all, until I hit my thighs. I'm naturally tickled at that area, I guess I'm bias at that point.

This is a totally new head of a head. Does that make sense? You would take the intimidating Epilator out, and this turns into a shaver/trimer itself. Which is cool, say if some hairs wouldn't budge, you can pull this sucker out and just shave it out. OR, if you're too scared to use it for the underarms, you can use this shaver.

After you have Epilatated and whatnot, cleaning was such an ease. They give you a brush, and with a couple of swipes, they're all gone!

Inside, it gives you a cute white pouch/bag where you can store everything. Note that mine is one with an outlet, not a rechargeable one. And you should NOT use this near or in water. Overall, don't get this wet.

This was how my first experience with the Braun Epilator was.

When I first pulled in the Epilator, I turned it on and VROOOOOOOOOOOOM! It was so LOUD! I literately jumped and turned it off. I never knew it can be so loud! So I turned it on again and looked at the intimidating head. It was moving fast and I was scared that it will cut me. So I turned it off, and went to pop a tylenol. LOL.

My whole review won't fit! LOL. If you search for me on blogspot, xevanesco, there is a full detailed review. continued >>

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2008 4:41:00 PM More reviews by waterfreak

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

**Update 3/10/08- Okay, an up-front warning, if you want to use this on your underarms, definitely try to use the cooling ice pack/mitt thing, or at least a topical gel to relive pain. This thing hurts on armpits....OMG, I wasn't expecting that since I have previously waxed and even tweezed my pits before. And make sure your armpit hairs are not too long, it does seems that the longer the hairs, the more twinging and pain this thing can cause. But not having to shave your pits for 2+ weeks is worth it! And- I did attempt to use this on my bikini area, even WITH the cooling gel, topical pain reliever, etc....it was like Satan was attacking me with fireballs straight from Hell. It was the kind of pain you never forget, ranking #2, with memories of childbirth pain being #1.

Original Review:
After reading the awesome reviews here, I had to go out and get this right away. I got the Silk Exelle at Bed Bath and Beyond for $69.99 and then had a 20% off coupon for an even lower price, what a deal! I got so sick of waxing and the awful mess it made, not to mention the pain of waxing and still having to touch it up because I missed so many hairs that were too short for removal. Well....no more! This epilator comes with two "heads", one I call the sissy head, and the other one which gets right down to business and has 40+ tweezers in it. Maybe I'm immune after tweezing and waxing so much, but this thing does not hurt at all and it's really barely noticeable when it's yanking my hairs out, no matter how long or short they are and no matter where they're located. I might feel a tiny twinge here and there but it doesn't hurt me at all (my husband in the other hand hates this thing and screams like a little girl when I attempt to do his back.) I find that this works awesome on those super short "new growth" hairs, and is also less painful than epilating the longer hairs. Yes, this machine is a little loud, but it's a lot more quiet than the yelling and cursing that previously came out of my mouth whenever I did my own waxing at home. This also works very fast, equivalent to using a regular electric razor, and at first I swore all it was doing was cutting my hairs because I would see the hairs disappear (the little light on this thing is great by the way), I had to actually stop for a second and pull the head off and see what was going on inside. Much to my delight, I saw the hairs, roots and all intact after they had been epilated. This comes with a great little gel ice pack for freezing and then a mit to put it in so you can cool and prepare any areas before you assualt them with this machine, but I have never had to use the ice gel or any kind of skin prep or pain reliever at all. I will never use a razor again and I won't be waxing anymore either. I can't believe I've gone this long without this. I am introducing this to every female friend of mine. I am totally in love with this thing. I swear I was about to drop a few thousand on laser hair removal for my legs and armpits but now I think I will put it off indefinitely. I also used to hate waiting to grow my leg hairs out long enough for them to even be ready to be waxed and then deal with scraggly hairs in between waxings. Well, no more. This little piece of magic removes even the shortest hairs with no problem and it does it so fast! I never thought I would say I actually enjoy removing my leg hairs at the roots. Now, if only I could get my husband used to this and stop screaming every time I come near him with it! The only thing I haven't used this for is the bikini area....I can't say I'm brave enough to try that, so I will stick to shaving and tweezing "there" until I get to the laser clinic to have it zapped. I just don't want to entertain the idea of pain there, cuz Oh Lordy does tweezing hurt, so there is NO WAY I'm going near it with this machine. Anyway, run out and buy this now, you will NOT regret it.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2008 8:38:00 PM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have the Braun Silk-epil Xelle. It is my first epilator. Iíve had it for about half a year, and I have to say that this is by far the best form of hair removal short of laser hair removal. Itís a bit pricey (about $60), but I figure that Iíll eventually save that much in shave gel and razor blades. The Silk-epil Xelle has a handy light that makes it easier to see the hair and make sure you donít miss anything. It comes with three attachments: a regular epilation head, an epilation head with ďactive massaging rollers,Ē and a shaver head with a trimmer attachment. So really itís two electronic hair removers in one: an epilator and a shaver. I donít recommend the epilation head that has the massaging rollers; they make it difficult to get all the hair because I tend not to keep the epilator close enough to my skin because of the pokey things on the head. Theyíre supposed to distract you from the pain of epilation, but I just find them more annoying that the slight pain I get.

Which brings me to my next point: pain. The more I use the epilator, the less pain I feel. It hurt a bit at first, but it really does ease up. The hair also comes out more easily the more you use the device, so that helps reduce the pain. I use the epilator on my legs, bikini line (just the edge, then I use the shaver with the trimmer attachment for the rest), and face (upper lip, chin, and ďsideburnsĒóunfortunately I have lots of fine blond hair on my face). The only place I havenít been able to use it is under my arms. That actually hurts. I do find that itís very difficult to get all of the fine blond hairs on my legs, so if I really want super smooth legs, I follow the epilation head with the shaver head. I find this two-step process to work well, and itís not any more complex than wet shaving with shaving gel. I do get a few irritation bumps and ingrown hairs when I epilate but fewer than I get from any other form of hair removal. I combat these by using Paulaís Choice 2% BHA Liquid daily on the areas I epilate, except my face, where I use Differin Gel every night.

Overall, I canít rave enough about this device, and I canít imagine using anything else for hair removal, unless I can afford laser hair removal someday. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 2/11/2008 3:32:00 PM More reviews by shelby101

this thing is a great little invention, it removes even tiny stubbly hairs that waxing leaves behind. which makes this an ingeius device because if you use it once a week after a wax job, then you are going to be pretty much hair free. I love the light on it too. Then you can see if you missed a hair or two and go back over the area. but really, you won't need to go back over spots very much. you will be amazed. and it comes with a shaver attachment, an AC adapter, and a travel bag. how cool is that? The only other tip I have is don't attempt using this unless you have recently waxed and removed most of the hair!! it's too painful otherwise. (EDIT: although I love this thing, I'm downgrading it to a 3--it has been a few weeks after my first use, and all of my leg hairs are growing back (which is normal) but they are all growing in crooked and they are ingrown and it looks like stubble and I can't get the hairs out from under the skin unless I use tweezers and it's awful. I am trying to exfoliate and do different things to help but my legs look awful and red and irritated. I am just waiting for it to grow out. I'll shave in the summer and figure out how to use this properly in the winter when no one can see my legs!!) In conclusion this product is definitely a good one, it does what it's supposed to do, but I didn't anticipate the problems with ingrowns. It's rough!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2008 10:29:00 AM More reviews by blueflamingo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm sorry I didn't read the review of the Epilator sooner! I have dark hair on light skin, and living in Florida, was shaving every day year round. Now with the Epilator I'm down to epilating once per week, and never look like I need it. As other reviewers mentioned, you will not get the silky smooth feel as after a shave. But, the results are so much better! The first time took a while since there was a lot more hair. But after the first time, there is never too much to clean up! I've used it on legs, underarms, bikini, and face (lots of peach fuzz) with great results. Pain? Yes, it stings a little bit but nothing intolerable. It you have a low tolerance for pain, take some ibuprofen first. Definitely worth the price!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2008 9:52:00 PM More reviews by kalisaen

Wow, I'm impressed. After reading the reviews on here I put it in the back of my mind of things to buy, but when I went out for some nail polish, saw the darn thing on sale for $60! Needless to say, I bought it and tried it as soon as I got home. I'm totally new to epilating but have waxed my legs before. The pain was not bad at all, except for when I got to my thigh area and armpits. (I should also mention that I've gotten a tattoo and thought the whole thing was bearable so maybe my pain tolerance is just high) So far, so good! My legs, armpits, arms, knuckles and toes are all clear and smooth! It missed a few areas that I had to go back and redo, but I think it was just my newbie epilator hands. :) Worth every cent, I think.