August 1, 2014 | 1007 users online

Moisturizers - Garnier - Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel-Cream

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2013 7:49:00 PM More reviews by Hadew1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I really, really love Clinique's Moisture Surge Gel Cream. I have very sensitive, acne-prone, dry/combination skin, and that is the only product I've found that moisturizes adequately without clogging my miserable pores. Unfortunately, I don't like the price ($49.50 for 2.5 ounces).

Garnier's Moisture Rescue Gel Cream is close enough, with a much better price tag ($7 for 1.7 ounces). It stings in a way that Clinique's doesn't, and the gel texture is a little less emollient than Clinique's version. Still's it's more moisturizing than NOT using it, and it also manages not to clog my pores. Win-win, I say, although I would like to try the sensitive skin version to see if it's any closer to Clinique's.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2013 2:27:00 PM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my holy grail moisturizer, I can't believe I haven't reviewed it yet!
For reference I have maturing (31y/o), oily, acne/clog-prone skin that is also somewhat sensitive. I have a VERY difficult time finding moisturizers that don't break me out and at the same time don't make my makeup slip & slide away or oxidize.

Before finding this I'd been rotating back and fourth with Yes To Tomatoes Daily Balancing Moisturizer (which I found a little TOO hydrating for my oilyness) and Cetaphil Lotion SPF 15 (this one is also a bit overly moisturizing for my oily skin plus I wasn't a fan of "SPF 15" since I'm already wearing a separate sunscreen/Biore UV Perfect Face Milk or L'Oreal Sublime Sun Liquid Silk Shield SPF 50+)

I've been using this moisturizer and this moisturizer only for almost 2 years now and NEVER plan on switching. I've gone through 2 tubs of this version, and almost 1 full tub of the "Dry Skin" version (which I used in the winter months when I needed more moisture and have a separate review already written for)

This "original" version of the gel-cream is *just* moisturizing enough for my oily skin, wears very well under makeup, doesn't increase my oilies but gets rid of any flakes I sometimes have, and does not dry me out either (which was my concern when I purchased it due to the alcohol content) Thankfully my skin does not even notice the alcohol! &Best of all, this does NOT break me out which is a feat of it's own because so many moisturizers have given me grief over the years.

This moisturizer is definitely not for everyone though. Anyone with dehydrated skin, very dry skin, or a sensitivity to alcohol simply won't care for this. It's not quite hydrating enough if you're skin is very dry or dehydrated (which is what happened to me over the winter & why I switched to the Dry Skin version temporarily)
At night I DO use a separate moisturizer for my eye area, simply because I'm all about anti-aging now that I'm in my 30's and I know that this gel-cream is not overly hydrating. (&For my eye area I've been rotating that Yes To Tomatoes Moisturizer I mentioned above with Caudalie's Vinexpert Firming Serum))

So for me with my skintype, Garnier Moisture Rescue Gel-Cream is just heavenly! At $6 USD a tub (at WalMart this is the price I got my tubs for), it's an absolute steal. &One tub used daily lasts me around 6-7 months.
I actually decanted my last tub into a squeeze tube because I HATE sticking my fingers in that tub! Even with clean hands/fingers I still always feel like I'm contaminating the product or something! (I'm weird, I know lol ;D)
So I got myself a little pack of these mini plastic spatulas (at the art store in my area) and used one to scoop the moisturizer out of the tub and into my empty $1 squeeze tube (also from WalMart) -and now it works like a charm and I don't have to stick my fingers in a tub 2x a day :)

Overall, I do highly recommend this all the time. To friends, family, and other MUA'ers on the MakeUpBoard :) Especially recommending to anyone out there with very oily skin, and also to those out there who are like me, with troublesome/acne-prone skin.if you have a difficult time finding moisturizers that don't aggravate things further, give this $6 gel a try. My skin has never been happier since I've been using this, I'm so glad I found it :)

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/3/2013 10:04:00 PM More reviews by Sjez

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This humectant gel isn't the best product for my dry skin, but addresses tightness in my face after I wash it so it is somewhat moisturizing. I think I would like it better if I had oily or combination skin - especially during the summer months - because it smells good, feels light on the skin, and is cooling and refreshing. However, it contains a ton of alcohol, which is antithetical to it's purpose as a moisturizer, and it stings like mad if you get even a tiny bit in your eye, so it's definitely not all purpose and, ideally, should be used in conjunction with an eye cream. I have dry skin, and I'm more of a one-stop-shop kinda gal so I will definitely not be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2013 10:28:00 PM More reviews by melmonster95

This moisturizer did a descent job on my combo skin. It moisturizer well enough, although it had no SPF. So I used it up, but I probably won't buy again unless they add a sun protectant.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/20/2013 11:53:00 AM More reviews by mimepanda

​This product goes on really nicely, cools the skin and leaves it feeling fresh and hydrated. However, I did notice that the effect does not last for very long. After a few minutes, my face would feel even tighter than before I applied it. As a result I would use a large amount every day and ended up going through a bottle in just over 2 weeks. Unfortunately it dried out my skin a lot during this time and seemed to break me out more. As the other reviewers have mentioned this product contains alcohol which may contribute to the cooling sensation but also probably contributes to the dryness. Overall would not recommend as it feels nice but dries out the skin a lot in the long run. Might work better if you have oily skin and just want something really light for the summer though.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/19/2013 9:19:00 PM More reviews by Sharon51

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Yuck! This stuff is just plain nasty. It doesn't smell good nor does it work, anyone not for me. I tried about a dime's worth and threw the rest in the trash. Garnier--your products are such a disappointment.
Don't put alcohol in your products-they just dry out you skin, hair or whatever. Nasty stuff!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2013 2:03:00 PM More reviews by MissMacabre88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel Cream is another one of Garnier's products that has become an essential part of my beauty regimen.

I do realize that it contains several ingredients that are supposed to be terrible for your skin (E.G. alcohol), so I've tried to break my habit of using it after several years of regular use.

I broke away from it for awhile and tried different kinds of skin creams, ranging from the expensive Dermacare Redness Relief (priced at $30.00 for a 30 ml tube), to the moderately priced Live Clean Daily Moisturizer ($17.00 for a 150 ml tube), and I even went a few weeks using ONLY natural oils (sweet almond and apricot) and vegan soap (olive/palm/coconut oil based).

The Dermacare irritated my skin even worse (30 minutes after I put it on my skin started to burn really badly). The Live Clean was OK, but it has a really sticky feeling. Also, I found that I'd have to apply it two or three times for it to actually quench the thirst of my dry skin). One application just left my skin flakey. It also burned my skin a little bit, although not as bad as the Dermacare.

I really like using the apricot and sweet almond oils (alternating between the two) but it's not the greatest thing to put on your face if you're planning to put makeup on immediately after. If you're like me and you have an oily T-zone but dry, splotchy cheeks, natural oils can be good and bad. The oils are also GREAT for reducing fine lines and wrinkles. Warning: Use natural oils VERY moderately otherwise it'll look like you're covered in grease. A little goes a long way. Pay special attention to the area around your eyes, blend the oils well in that area.

So after this trial-and-error period, my skin was pretty irritated from most of these products and I decided to use my trusty old Garnier Moisture Rescue to help it recover. And guess what? It worked!

This stuff will likely always be my go-to moisturizer. It just works really well for my skin. It dries quickly, it takes care of the dry, splotchy patches, and it doesn't make my T-zone oiler than it already gets. It leaves my skin with a nice matte finish (although my T-zone still gets a little oily throughout the day). But I really do love this stuff.

At $10.00 for a jar, the price is right. You don't need to use a whole lot of it so it lasts awhile. I put it on in the morning after I shower, but I've decided to continue using the natural oils after I wash my face before bed at night (I use Simple Refreshing Facial Gel Wash most days of the week and Simple Smoothing Facial Scrub once or twice a week to exfoliate). Applying it before bed allows time for my skin to absorb it, and I don't have to worry about going out in public with a greasy face.

So far this regimen is working well.

Garnier wins again.

I'd really like if Garnier would reconsider the packaging and make it available in a conveniently sized, hygiene conscious squeeze tube.

Just an update: I still love this product but lately my skin has been REALLY dry and irritated on my cheeks. I have these terrible red splotches that just react badly to almost everything. This stuff still works without stinging, but I have to apply it two or three times for it to really absorb in the dry areas. I'll go back to it when my skin isn't so dry and irritated.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2013 11:38:00 PM More reviews by cjenn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is the old Hydra-Fresh moisturizer for normal/oily skin of about ten years ago. L'Oreal who owns Garnier is famous for bringing back old products and changing the packaging and name to see whether it sells in its new form. This is a very light, oil-free product that really feels refreshing on skin. Love the scent, the feel and the way it makes my skin look so dewy after application. Good for you L'Oreal/Garnier, another great reincarnation that you never should have discontinued in the first place.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/4/2013 11:48:00 AM More reviews by Rebekah85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am a product junkie and like to try new things. I have never found a face lotion that I liked so much I stuck with it. I just purchased my second jar of this cream. I love it. It sinks into my combo/oily skin with no sticky or tacky feeling. It has not caused me any breakouts, it sits well under my primer and foundation and I really have no complaints. It smells great, lasts a long time, a little goes a long way. I have not tried it in summer months, so not sure how it would work with oily skin when it's hot out. I do dislike the pink version specifically for dry skin. I have found in the few times that I've used it that it is noticeably different. It leaves a tacky feeling, doesn't feel like it ever completely soaks into the skin like the green one does. It is horrible under my make up so I just use it at night sometimes when my skin is really dry. I recommend the green one for every day light wear. Would buy again and suggest to friends. It's also fairly priced at just under $7.

Update -- After using this product for several months, I came to the conclusion that it really wasn't doing much for my skin. Nothing negative about it, but nothing great either. I did not see a real difference in radiance while using this combined with Garneirs face wash for dull skin. Eventually I had more breakouts and just felt like these products were not helping me out any. I switched to Olays Regenerist line and am in love!! Find my reviews on the Regenerating Cream Cleanser, Eye Lift Serum and the Deep Hydration Regenerating Cream. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/4/2013 2:12:00 AM More reviews by brooke2010

Not too bad, Garnier! This is a good moisturizer for my oily skin. It smells good, helps control shine, and makes me skin feel hydrated. I would recommend it since it's very affordable!