April 18, 2014 | 1903 users online

Treatments - La Roche Posay - Effaclar Duo

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2013 1:37:00 PM More reviews by snkatha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

I had been stuggling with some pimples that wouldn't budge no matter what i did. I was almost giving up when i watched a model recommends talking about this cream having helped her deal with some breakouts. I boought it on friday and today is wednesdaay and the pimples are disappearing. My skin looks glowing and absolutely radiant! I have dry skin and i noticed this cream made it drier but nothing a good moisturiser can't take care of. Highly recommended!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/11/2013 7:06:00 AM More reviews by wildcardinside

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm REALLY confused about this product. Millions of people have labelled it a complete breakout savior. I have the French version, which contains salicylic acid instead of benzyl peroxide (the American version) which I have heard is better because benzyl is very strong and harsh basically.

I have oily/combination skin, and I get frequent breakouts, especially around my chin/mouth area.
The first couple of days within using this I noticed the breakouts decreasing, I was so excited, then within a week I noticed that my skin felt very rough, not dry, but congested. This caused almost every pore on my face to inflame. I continued to use it because the product supposedly clears out congested skin so i thought maybe it was that. 2 weeks later, no improvement and I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else. I stopped using it on my entire face and put it on the area where i get lots of breakouts. Honestly, I feel as if it has kept the breakouts (small to medium white head pimples) at bay within the week or so that I have been using it just on that area, but, low and behold, tiny tiny congested bumps are filling that area again. I have been experimenting with this product for at least 3 weeks and I don't feel that it is helping my skin. I think I will have to just use it once a week or something on problem areas even though its supposed to be used as a moisturiser every day. Try it out yourself - lots of people have had success, but personally, I feel that the strange tiny bumps it gave me is some sort of a reaction or my skin is just too sensitive or something - this has never happened before, very confusing. THAT, or I am supposed to use it for a couple of months to see results and have congested tiny rough bumps literally all over my face even though no one else has experienced this? doesn't sound too promising. Only thing I love about it is the packaging, - the dispenser part/tip is reaaallly thin and slightly long - unique, attractive, interesting and enjoyable to use, great for controlled amounts. I paid $25 AUD for this cream, - which is not cheap but not expensive, around mid price in my opinion, but I gave the price 1 rating only because $25 for something that doesn't seem to work is a bit disappointing.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/9/2013 12:51:00 PM More reviews by Hanns93

US VERSION
I read all the negative reviews. What the heck, it couldn't be that bad.
If you're using this, I would suggest not to start using this all at once. it has concentrated Benzoyl Peroxide. Start using it every other day until you get use to it. If you feel any itching or tightness, STOP.
I used this twice, and then I woke up the next morning, my eyes had swollen shut and I had this seriously itchy rash on my neck.
I will say that before I turned an anthill, this product actually did take away a lot of the redness around my breakouts, and it helped dry them out so they healed quickly. If only I wasn't so sensitive to Benzoyl Peroxide... Maybe the European version would be better, I'm just not ready to shell out $65 yet.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/9/2013 12:19:00 AM More reviews by nicrenee

THIS IS A REVIEW FOR THE EURO VERSION (made in France). Just to preface, I started using this after a couple of years of benzoyl peroxide use. I have been using this for almost a week, and in conjunction with the La Roche-Posay Effaclar foaming gel wash. When I stopped using my benzoyl peroxide treatment, my skin was NOT very happy with me to say the least, I was breaking out worse than I ever have. But determined to discontinue using BP, I switched up my skincare to just these two products. I am using this morning and night after washing my face with the foaming gel wash, and I have noticed that when I first apply the gel my skin does get quite red and irritated, but that goes away within the first half an hour after application. After that, my skin stays fairly shine-free without being dry or flaky. Although it has not completely cleared my skin up (which is fine by me as I don't think a week is a long enough time for a product to work its magic), I have noticed a big difference in the texture of my skin, it is probably 70% less 'bumpy' than it used to be, especially around my nose which was quite conjested. I have quite a few active breakouts still (I'd say 40% less than when I stopped using BP), but I'm getting the impression that the product is just surfacing the impurities that have been in my pores (I have never really exfoliated because of my increased sensitivity from the BP). So far so good! I will do an update on this product after I have been using it for longer.

UPDATE!
I've been using this gel for over 2 weeks now and I'm not seeing an improvement, my skin has become a bit worse.. It's like my skin is allergic or something, when I apply it my skin goes red, and it doesn't go away as quickly anymore. For now I'll try leaving my skin free of products and give an updated review to see if this product is truly making my skin worse.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2013 7:08:00 AM More reviews by calooza

This review is about the european version (made in france).

This is my second tube. I had bought my first one an year ago, and used all of it. I really liked the effects on my skin, but i don't know exacly why i didn't repurchased it. You have to give it enough time to do it's job, and use it continuously to get the best of it. I guess i was looking for a miracle to my skin. And by miracle i mean completely cure my skin and all my acne: i have the most texturized skin, with several clogged pores, very congested, with blackheads all over my cheeks, nose, forehead and chin. I have the ocasionally breakouts on my chin and lower cheeks, which can be worse if i'm doing something wrong or using the wrong products. I also have hyperpigmentation spots from past blemishes. I have acne since 13. I'm know 24 and hopeless. :(

I didn't repurchased this that time, because i'm continously searching for something that works better, and at some point i realized that this product was awesome, and i dind't gave it enough credit... shame on me!

So, almost an year later, i decided to repurchase it because i was experience a lot of breakouts, large pores, very oily skin, huge amount of blackheads and several clogged pores due to hormonal medication (that agravate all my skin conditions) and some new (crap) face products i was using. My skin was always somewhat red and very uneven, which made my face appear a different color from my neck and chest.

I only use it at night all over my face, and after 10 or 15 minutes i use moisturiser on top.

1st week
In the first week i immediatly noticed an huge difference on my skin. It was less red, more even toned and more bright and luminous. I needed less foundation to even out my skintone. My pores became more tight and blackheads are less visible and in less amount.

2nd week
Around the second week i experienced some purging. The breakouts were whiteheads forming on places where i had those flesh tone clogged pores. They inflamed, and then disappeared. It was quite bad (i had too many clogged pores on the same area), and i felt sad about it, but eventually they went away. Unfortunatelly they left red marks on those areas, but i'm hopping they eventually go away. It always takes some time... My skin is also less oily during the day.

3rd week
The purging period stopped. The whiteheads healed but the red marks remain, although less visible. I still have clogged pores, but i think those wil take more time.

I experienced a second beakout (whiteheads and two cystic pimples) at the end of the 3rd week, but i realized it was because of using jojoba oil at night along with my moisuriser. I really liked jojoba oil before this treatment, but apparently it doesn't work the same way. I guess it's because the active ingredientes on effaclar duo let the oil go down the pores, causing breakouts. I stopped using the jojoba oil and my skin went back to normal. The cystic bumps never reached the surface, they were gone in a few days. uff..

4th week
The effects remain. Skin less oily, pores are really tight, less blackheads, the closed comedones are slowly disapearing (those are very hard to solve :-/), the texture of my skin is so much smoother and skintone is more even. Now i just have to wait for the hyperpigmentation to go away. I guess it will take a few more months, but it was always like this to me (i tend to get hyperpigmentation problems even without picking the pimples).
To help with that i'm also using Triacneal by Avene, which has glycolic acid and a retinoid, which are proven to be efective for hyperpigmentation. I use Tricneal every three days (at night) but it's too soon to have my conclusions about it's effectiveness, as it take a lot longer, and i have to take care of active acne first.

I still have some active pimples on my jaw line due to the jojoba oil experience but they are starting to heal. The rest of my face is pretty clear.
I now know that i won't stop using this product, i'll keep repurchasing it, because it permanently exfoliates my skin, keeping away those clogged pores and keeping my skin smooth and even. :)

I never experienced dry, flaky skin or irritation using this product. I avoid apllying it around the nose when it's more sensitive and red, because it burns...

Btw, i've been using a generous amount all over my face at night, so one tube lasts me around 2 to 3 months. But i'm plannig to starting using less, because the gel is very easy to spread using a small amount... and it's as effective (i just tend to use more). I payed less than 15 euros for a 40ml tube, which i think is quite fair for it's effectiveness. And eventually there are discounts that i can take.

I'll be updating this if there is any change. But so far i'm loving it :)

1 month update,
So, it's been a month and i'm really happy with the results. My skin is really smooth, i can't really feel any raised bumps (comedones)... my skin is not texturized anymore. and I have zero active pimples :D yayy... so effaclar duo was really a WIN to me. I was left with hyperpigmentation on some areas where i had the most persistent pimples, but they are getting less visible. I am currently using Triacneal from Avene to help with that hyperpigmentation. As for effaclar duo i'm going to keep using it, because it really helps keeping my skin free of bumps and inflamed pimples. It's now a staple on my skin care regime. Definitely recomend to give it a try. And it's really a product that you have to keep using to see real results...so be patient! ;)

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/1/2013 4:40:00 PM More reviews by amylou01

(This is for the UK version)

I heard so many rave reviews that I just had to try this out, as I have the occasional break out and have previously suffered with severe acne, and therefore have some hyper-pigmentation. The product actually made my skin worse, it made me have spots where I didn't usually get them. Now originally I thought this was a 'purging' stage, but after 5 weeks I felt this wasn't the case. I even just applied the product on specific areas to see, and lo and behold the areas I applied it to came up in spots. Even using it as a spot-on treatment made me get spots around the original spot.

Really disappointed it didn't work for me, but I guess it shows that a rave product won't work for everyone.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/15/2013 8:16:00 PM More reviews by lovelylovely

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am so sad this product didn't work out for me as I wished. I actually had no prior knowledge of the supposed "2 versions" of this...apparently there is a US one and a Euro one. (which is confusing on its own). I bought the US version and was really excited to try this because I have struggled with clogged pores for a long time! A couple of my favorite beauty guru's raved about this and I totally wanted to try it out, I was at CVS saw that it was on sale and bought it. I read the warnings..and it said not to use if you have sensitive skin. It may cause severe itching followed by burning or redness..swollen skin...dry skin...the works. I didn't really think I had sensitive skin...I thought wrong. When I woke up the next morning I was attacked by ANGRY skin. areas such as my chin broke out into a severe rash leaving me blotchy, itchy, and dry beyond belief. I was uncomfortable the entire day. It was the WORST! Although, I looked into the mirror and saw that my clogged pores all over my nose had completely vanished!! Which upset me even further. The product itself works. Its just a harsh HARSH product. (This is the US version) So...I decided to try the product again the following night (the results..although painful, were truly astounding). I guess I sort of thought that my skin needed to get used to it...or I used to much. SO DUMB, I KNOW! So, I woke up at 3 am in agonizing itchiness. I immediately went and washed my face and went back to bed. I realized later that it actually left a sort of chemical burn around my chin area..it was red, brownish...? I don't know. It was AWFUL. I'm not too sure of the differences between the US version and the European version...and how to use them. I used this one as a zit cream (on all the trouble AREA'S of my face). I'm still unclear as to if the US version is for active zits, spot treatment..prevention..? I'm not going to give up on it just yet.....because I honestly feel as if I am using it wrong..but to say the least steering clear until I'm absolutely positive of how to use it..

My skin is still recovering, and I'm icing it for now.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2013 5:12:00 PM More reviews by MarleyXavier

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Excellent product, had moderate acne for about 4 years and i have used this for a week now and my skin is almost clear! my skin hasn't been this clear since about 4 years ago. excellent product, perfect amount of moisture for my normal/combination skin, not drying at all. highly recommend. i use this with La mer cleansing foam with clarisonic and also la roche posay effaclar A.I spot treatment which is also excellent. so glad i found this range, so cheap compared to what i was paying for products such as creme de la mer ha.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2013 9:43:00 AM More reviews by Layalina

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

There are two versions of this product: the U.S. has benzoyl peroxide and is targeted, meaning that you apply it to get rid of a pimple/acne; the European version has salicylic acid, which gets rid of pimples but also prevents pimples.

I bought the European version and it's been amazing. I apply a thin layer on areas that is acne prone and it keeps blemishes in check. I also apply it to the occasional blemish outside of those areas when I feel like one is burgeoning. It has really worked for me.

Also, I've read and heard that some people use it as a moisturizer. I can't use it that way, because it's too drying. I apply it at night and need a good moisturizer on top of it.

I like the packaging; the amount (1.35oz/40ml) is good for the money; no scent. Will definitely keep using as it works for my skin. As one reviewer said, it's great insurance for breakouts.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2013 3:41:00 AM More reviews by Concealergeek

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I don't know if this product works for acne, but it is my insurance against hormonal blemishes. When I detect one is coming I substitute my moisturiser by Effaclar duo and it doesn't even show. If I have not been so fast it makes them disappear in two days without leaving a trace. It is drying, but not aggressive. I couldn't use it on a regular basis, but it is perfect to solve occasional problems. The price is reasonable as well. I adore this product because it has made my life much easier. Now I am not in a bad mood when I see a blemish in the mirror . Now I know it won' t last. I will buy it again and again