April 20, 2014 | 1753 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - LUSH - Colour Supplement

rated 3 of 5 on 8/22/2011 11:28:00 PM More reviews by livieTree

I'm NC15 with well behaved combination skin. I don't normally break out unless its "that time of the month", or I'm really stress. So over all i don't need coverage. However I do tend to prefer medium coverage. The one I got is in the color light yellow. The color selection is also quite limited. Anyway, I picked this up hoping it would be something between a TM and a foundation.

The texture of it is odd. To me its like a whipped cream kind of texture. There is definitely air in this, and its easy to pick up more than needed. Something I really enjoy about it however is that it blends really really well. The down side to this is that I find that its too sheer. It is slightly buildable but barely. Since my skin tends to be well behave this is fine. I use it to mix with my more full coverage foundations. And to me the finish is semi-matte. I do like it but it can be a bit cakey. Which is weird because it has close to no coverage.

The packaging is a jar. Meh. Not a fan. Not for hygienic purposes I just don't like it. Its an overall okay product. But I wouldn't call it a nessesity but most likely won't repurchase.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/11/2011 12:19:00 PM More reviews by squishy10

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I don't really like wearing foundation in general, and can normally get away with just covering up any spots and dots with concealer, but, sometimes, if I want to feel more put together (or know there will be lots of pictures taken) I use this!

I feel that like many LUSH products, this is a little rough around the edges, but I feel better about using it because there are less chemicals in it than the average concealer.

I use the yellow color supplement and it blends well with my skin(which is a fair-medium olive complexion). This product is very yellow, and that is usually pretty hard to find, so it definitely gets points for that!

The problem that I have with this though is that, if blended with my (LUSH brand)moisturizer as they recommend for a natural application, it sometimes gets very chalky and dries as I'm rubbing it in and I'm left with these weird little dried globs of make up around the edge of my face or smears on my skin. Not a good look.

I've been using it since February and have tried it several different ways. I've put it on after applying moisturizer and I find that it ends up being a little too noticeable that way. I've mixed it with moisturizer, but to get the right consistency, you have to use a LOT of moisturizer with a tiny bit of the concealer mixed in, which gets kind of expensive and can be pretty heavy on my face in the summer, making me feel oily or more prone to break outs.

Also, the packaging causes the product to dry out more and become hard to apply toward the end of the pot.

I will continue buying this product because I feel less guilty slathering my face with something more natural. If this isn't an issue for you though, I'd recommend picking something up in Sephora, because this is a little more labor intensive than I feel it should be.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/6/2011 10:07:00 AM More reviews by naturallyfab

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I had to experiment a few ways before I found the way that I like to wear this color supplement (as a foundation). I tried it on my under eye area, which it was quite nice. Then I tried it mixed in with moisturizer and it made me greasier than McDonald's fry station. However, if I apply this with a stippling brush straight out of the pot all over my face, this works great! It offers light-medium coverage, but you could definitely build it up if you needed to. I think this would make a great every day foundation.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2011 10:01:00 AM More reviews by msmarielliejellie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

After seeing this at the LUSH counter, I knew it was one of those purchases that I just had to buy right then and there. And for some reason, I had this feeling that it would be an HG product...and guess what, IT SURELY WAS. For the longest time, I have never really liked using tinted moisturizers because I don't like the way it disappears after a short period of time, so for the longest time, I resorted to using BB creams, even though the color would never really match my skin perfectly and I've never really worn liquid foundations because so mixing it with y daily face moisturizer was out of the question. I was at the lush counter when my sister pointed this out. I swatched Dark Yellow and was immediately smittened. The moment I got home, I mixed this with my normal Nivea cream and OMG....OMG...that was all I could say, haha. It's seriously incredible. I honestly don't know why I haven't come across this one for a long time. You seriously need just as small amount with your moisturizer and you've got the silkiest, smoothest, lightest most amazing second skin-like tinted moisturizer but with a tad bit more coverage. It kindda reminds me of the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer but WAY better because you can control the coverage with the amount of moisturizer you put. Also, I put it straight on if I want to conceal my dark circles. Seriously in love with this! I highly recommend this to anyone, a must buy!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2011 10:08:00 PM More reviews by nerdcat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have already bought this three times.
It is so great.
I just use it straight on my face after I moisturize, I don't mix it or "supplement" anything.
It's so soft and smooth and covers well enough for my needs, just evens out my skin tone and very lightly camouflages imperfections. I top it with a light setting powder and I'm good to go.
It would be better in a pump but I put up with the mini jar since it's easy to travel with.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2011 12:36:00 PM More reviews by Pishiewishie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

DARK YELLOW:
This is the second jar of this foundation I have purchased. It is really a good product. I've never worn foundation before and this just felt very natural.

PROS:
I'm olive- tan complexion this is SO VERSATILE

In the winter I just use it with moisturizer (which is awesome because I need the extra moisture in the harsh canadian winter) using moisturizer also makes the colour a bit lighter which matches my face at the time.

In the summer I use it with no moisturizer (after the moisturizer has dried) and use it on trouble spots (more like concealer)

Not cakey, I don't feel like I have a mask on

Environmentally friendly and animal test free!

CONS:
I apply it with my fingers, I've tried it with a brush and it is quite streaky. It can be annoying with my long nails.

No pump, I always wash my hands when using it but I feel like I'm making it dirty still. I would love a pump or squeeze tube or something. (This might negate it being environmentally friendly but it would make it easier to use)

Limited colours.

OVERALL:
I love the product, it's easy to use for beginners like myself who have used it for a year now and I'm on my second bottle. I feel more comfortable wearing makeup because of it and it's a good way to "ease into" other products if you are a little scared.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2011 6:27:00 AM More reviews by MsMinipony

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a review for Jackie Oates. Please keep in mind it has completely different base ingredients than the rest of the bunch, so I can't say anything about the other colors' properties!

Pros:
- Nice light colour, neither too yellow nor orange / pink
- Really melts into the skin after application, does not form a film or separate layer
- did not break me out or increase oil production / irritate my skin
- evens out the skintone without creating a mask effect even if 2-3 layers are applied to certain areas
- perfect for a very natural daytime look
- light, moisturizing base, none of the ingredients are listed critical or comedogenic on codecheck or zerozits
- no animal testing
- quite good price if you order from the UK website (a little under 10 Euros as opposed to 15 Euros so get it there as long as you order enough to compensate for shipping)

Cons:
- very light coverage, does not cover dark circles or blemishes
- it does not mix well with my sunscreens (I tested it both with La Roche Posay 50+ Fluid and a generic Garnier facial sunscreen, neither would sink into the skin even though the sunscreens and the color supplement alone do if I apply them after one another)
- very strange smell which disappears after +- 15 minutes
- application can be streaky if you're not careful
- contains parabens if that's something you consider to be important
- not as long-lasting as some other makeup, I never get more than 8 hours out of this but then again it fades without becoming blotchy and gross
- the packaging really isn't great

In conclusion (and to my own surprise) I quite like Jackie Oates. I use it for no-fuss makeup days when I don't need much coverage. If you're looking for coverage this is not for you, it's really more of a tinted moisturizer even if you use it without mixing as I do. Also really make sure you smell it before you order, the smell does linger a little bit and I can see how people wouldn't be able to stand it. If you're very pale and you prefer the natural look you have to try this!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/23/2011 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Kat_rocks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

I really wanted to like this product. I love everything else LUSH has to offer, however I was completely disappointed in this. I bought the color 'jackie oatis', which is the lightest color they have. As far as the color its perfect for my skin, however in the summer I would probably have to mix a more yellow color to attain a slightly more 'tan' color. Besides the color, everything else falls short. The smell... is interesting... oatmeal + plastic- ish. It is not very pigmented so this wouldnt be for someone who has acne/acne scars like I do, because it doesnt cover them very well. It is moisturizing, but more on the greasy/oily side. This all could be acceptable except for the amount of parabens in the ingredients ! Its full of them ! Sometimes I can look the other way, but it seems to contain almost every paraben know to mankind. Needless to say, I am returning it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2011 9:17:00 AM More reviews by Lizzy28

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've never bought anything Lush before but when I heard about the Colour Supplements I was intrigued. Especially when I read they now offer a very pale shade, #Jackie Oates. Having very fair skin (neutral NW/NC10) I'm always on the hunt for pale shades of foundations. I also have very sensitive, dry Rosacean skin and looking at the ingredients it sounded great so I bought the Colour Supplement in #Jackie Oates.
Pros: First of all, it is a pale shade indeed. Quite neutral and a good match for my skin. I think #Jackie Oates would be suitable for anyone in the NW/NC10 range and even lighter. I uploaded a pic of #Jackie Oates.
Second, the texture is really nice; especially for dry skin. Very emollient thanks to the fatty oils and easy to blend and spread out; mixed with or without moisturizer. I did however noticed it pills when used undiluted on top of certain moisturizers. Changing moisturizer and/or a light spray with some Thermal Water solves the problem.
The finish is glowy but not shimmery, giving your skin a healthy appearance. Coverage can be build up, allowing it to function as either a TM, a foundation or a concealer.
Cons: Colour Supplements come in a little glass jar which I'm not too fond of. Not because I'm afraid of bacteriae (I just use a spatula) but because the antioxidants and other benefits of the ingredients will become unstable and ineffective once the jar has been opened.
Another con might be the fact some of the ingredients may cause/excerbate acne. I'm not breakout prone in the least but I developed some pimples every time I wore Colour Supplement. For this reason alone I probably won't repurchase but that's just my finicky skin's fault.
Also I found ingredients vary slightly according to colour. For example the #Dark Yellow contains Glycine Soya which is left out in #Jackie Oates.
Summary: great versatile product and I'd definately recommend trying Colour Supplements but try a sample first. Thumbs up for Lush for creating a pale colour!
*PPP Foundations List in My Notepad.

Ingredients #Jackie Oates: Water (Aqua), Oat Milk (Avena sativa), Saffl ower Oil (Carthamus tinctorius), Aloe Vera Extract (Aloe barbadensis), Titanium Dioxide, Organic Rose Hip Oil (Rosa canina), Shea Butter (Butyrospermum parkii), Stearic Acid, Glycerine, Cetearyl Alcohol, Triethanolamine, Honey, Tincture of Benzoin (Styrax benzoin), Lanolin, Tin Oxide, Colour 77492, Colour 77491, Colour 77499, Colour 77019, Colour 77891, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2011 7:21:00 AM More reviews by notcoffee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have the Light Yellow one.

The good: Goes on very smoothly, sinks into skin nicely, perfect color match for light olive skin, clumsy-proof packaging.

The bad: Can make oily and acne-prone skin break out, doesn't last too long, lack of color selection, especially for those with darker skin-tones.

Because of the aforementioned issue with breaking out, I rarely use this all over my face. If I do, I mix it with my Vanishing Cream face lotion to minimize some of the oil from the product. Most of the time, I use it as an undereye concealer. I have pretty hardcore dark-circles, and while this stuff doesn't conceal *perfectly*, it does make improvements while still looking natural. :)

I'd buy it again - in fact, I'll be purchasing the Dark Yellow one once the sun comes out to play.

Dear LUSH - make more colors! Your 'dark' is 'medium' at best.