October 23, 2014 | 1804 users online

Hair Treatments - Burt's Bees - avocado hair treatment

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2007 5:13:00 AM More reviews by summeroflove

I have been using this product for about 3 years now. I use it as a pre-shampoo treatment once a week. I put it on my hair, starting from the ends to the roots and then the scalp. I comb it in with a wide tooth comb. I leave it on between 15 to 30 minutes before I shower. I shampoo with it on and then rinse. I also use conditioner after I rinse it off. The result is a beautiful, shiny, well conditioned hair. I constantly get compliments on how shiny and vibrant my hair is. Give it a try, you'll love it... 3 years and counting!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/14/2007 3:36:00 PM More reviews by pixiesdust13

I jumped on the Burts Bees bandwagon about a year ago and I splurged on ALL of their products. Today I really don't use any of thier products anymore. Too bad because I love the "all natural" concept and cute packaging. Anyway, I bought this avocado stuff in a cute package with a shower cap and comb. I really only use the cap and comb now, because the product did absolutely nothing for my hair! I even had to condition afterward (i have really thick and wavy hair). I would never recommend this product to anyone.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2007 4:22:00 PM More reviews by playkitty911

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This does nothing but makes my hair supremely greasy. It just sits there and does practically nothing, and when I try to rinse it out water beads on it. So I have to use a strong shampoo which strips my hair anyway. It's like a put a jar of wax on my hair and it's still frizzy and split. I tried using a small amount but my hair would still bunch up and be greasy. I guess a VERY tiny amount could be used to smooth hair, but it'd probably weigh it down.

This is pretty good at nothing but making your hair stringy and greasy. So I guess the only purpose of using this is if you want to create or seal dreadlocks. Unfortunately, I don't have dreadlocks. :P continued >>

rated 2 of 5 on 3/19/2007 3:06:00 PM More reviews by drivenbyyourmom

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

UGLY packaging, greasy product, did NOTHING for my hair. A nice deep conditioner after shampooing provides much better results than this. After getting obsessed with Burt's Bees and buying every product I could get my hands on, I've found that most of their products are junk. And I hate the ugly yellow packaging!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2007 2:20:00 PM More reviews by secondadonna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have a love-hate relationship with this stuff. If I manage to shampoo it out thoroughly I get great results -- really moisturized, soft, and extremely shiny hair. (My hair is long, thick, and tends to be very dry.) If I don't, I get greasy, disgusting hair. But go figure -- it's like a tube of grease. I wouldn't touch this if you have oily hair or scalp (except perhaps to try it just on the ends). But I'll probably buy it again because it's somewhat easier to use and the effects last longer than a pure oil treatment. I use it every week or so in the winter and do a long treatment with it before colouring.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2007 5:09:00 PM More reviews by mebe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this stuff! It is super hard to use, the smell and color are horrible..BUT this stuff makes your hair shiny, bouncy and full with enough weight so there isnt any frizzyness.. It is hard to figure out the nitty pasty texture but what i do is take some and put it in my hand and rub it into my ends and all over my hair.. i put a shower cap on and shower,.. then i use a shine or volume shampoo...i wouldent use anything that strips the hair because that would take away from the product;)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2007 2:31:00 AM More reviews by Metraria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have BSL ("bra strap length") hair with 3B spiral curls. Although it's in good condition, I'm thinking of dyeing it, and it's been a bit frizzy lately from the rain. I've been eying this product for over a year, and I finally took the $10.99 plunge.

I have a problem with most hair treatments, and the problem is this: They're usually full of silicones. It's often either amodimethicone, which is light and easily removed, or cyclopentasiloxane, which is very difficult to get out of your hair. Either way, I kind of feel like I'm being cheated. Silicones make your hair feel smooth without adding anything to it. It's like putting plastic wrap on your hair. This might be handy when you're using styling products, but it's just wasting space in a deep conditioner.

This treatment appeals to me because all the ingredients are plant-based. I'm not vegan or anything, but this is the sign of a good-quality, effective product. It's simple to use. I wet my hair in the sink so it was somewhat damp, and combed it (which I highly recommend, since the product is winds up being a little sticky before rinsing it out, which might exacerbate tangles). I smushed perhaps 1.5 tablespoons into my hair in sections. Some people dislike the color and texture of this product. I must admit that neither is very pleasing, but it's still easy enough to apply, and the color doesn't matter. I wrapped my hair into a bun on top of my head, stuck on a shower cap, and waited for 30 minutes.

I'm really not sure why so many people here have such trouble removing this product from their hair. I just shampooed once with Isoplus Conditioning Shampoo, which is sulfate-free and very mild. I don't use any sulfates, silicones, or other water-insoluble products, so perhaps that has something to do with it? It's the only thing I can think of. But really, using this was a piece of cake. My hair did feel somewhat rubbery before I used the shampoo, since the oils in the treatment were repelling water.

Anyway, I was very pleased with the results: bouncy, shiny, tight, frizz-free curls! I'll definitely use this a couple times a month. I highly suggest this product, unless you have thin, straight, undamaged hair. Also, since it's glycerin-based, it's might not be appropriate for tinted hair (especially hair that's dyed red, but without henna). Glycerin makes color fade faster. It's fine, though, if you just have highlights, or lightened your hair more than you tinted it.

EDIT: I've realized that saying that I avoid water-insoluble ingredients in my haircare products sounds pretty eccentric, so I figured I ought to explain why. My scalp is extremely sensitive (which is odd, because the skin on my face does fine with harsh ingredients), and my hair is curly. Both of these factors mean that I benefit a immeasurably from eschewing shampoo for the most part, and just washing with a super-cheap conditioner from White Rain or Suave. This way, my scalp isn't irritated, and my hair isn't stripped of moisture. And, yes, it really makes my hair and scalp perfectly clean--far cleaner than when I use strong ingredients, like sodium laureth sulfate, that make my poor scalp produce excess oil. The catch is, conditioner can't remove anything that isn't soluble in water. So that means I have to avoid ingredients like silicones, beeswax, and (heaven forbid!) mineral oil/petrolatum. This can get a little confusing, because silicones can be modified to be water soluble (like dimethicone copolyol), but it's easy to keep track of with a little practice. And, as a bonus, you come to understand what the ingredients really do...and that lots of expensive conditioners are no better than White Rain, which costs less than a dollar! Oddly enough, the best conditioners seem to cost between $7 and $13. No idea why. Anyway, you can search for "curly girl" to find a fuller how-to. "Curly Girl" is the name of the book that laid out this haircare regimen, but it's very easy to find all the info for free online.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/27/2007 8:48:00 PM More reviews by vast

The reason I wouldn't buy this again is because I'm very very sensitive to perfumes and heavy fragrances, certain things trigger migraines for me. So unfortunetly I can't use this.

BUT it really did make my hair very soft and smooth, moisturized better than I hoped and didn't feel heavy at all and also washed out like a dream. The packaging is a plus because it's a squeeze tube so it's very hygenic. It's a shame I can't use this just because of the smell but I'm giving it to my friend to try.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2007 11:58:00 AM More reviews by ilovejoey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This stuff is great for my long, super thick hair! It makes such a difference. My hair is silky and beautiful for weeks every time I use it. Definitely worth trying!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2007 1:15:00 PM More reviews by DannysDiamond

To start, I should say that I am African-American, with very thick, slightly longer than BSL hair that tends to get dry and frizzy, particularly on the ends. I am also transitioning out of a relaxer with currently about 4 inches of wavy-curly new growth (2b-3a). I preface this review with that, because I think this product is excellent for thick or dry hair, but for someone with thin or fine hair, I think it would weigh it down or make it excessively oily.

For me however, this product is fantastic. The key I think, is following the directions and applying it to wet hair BEFORE shampooing. I hopped in the shower, wet my hair throughout, applied the product generously (I have thick bra strap length hair, so a dollop in one palm wasn't going to do the trick), and then clipped up my hair, popped on a shower cap, and did some cleaning up around the house for a good 6 or so hours before rinsing the product out and then washing and conditioning my hair as usual (I washed and conditioned with the Suave Naturals line...HIGHLY recommend this for transitioning women of color). Detangling was much easier than normal and took much less time and effort, and after I blow dried, I was left with very smooth, hydrated, shiny hair...best results I've had than with any other deep conditioner.

I have also used this product as a styling aid - I applied it to dry, frizzy ends one night before bed. I must admit, applying it to completely dry hair leaves the hair feeling very sticky, but in the morning, my hair had completely soaked it up and I was left with moisturized ends and no more frizzies.

Many have issues with the color, texture, and smell...this product IS a bit sticky, but warming it in your hands before application helps, and the smell is wonderful - light and citrusy.

I would highly recommend this for hair that is one or more of the following: thick, dry, frizzy, African-American.