November 27, 2014 | 1457 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Pure Pressed Base

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 9/4/2012 9:54:00 AM More reviews by miribeau

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

NO! No, no and no. If you have oily skin or live in a hot climate or happen to be an active sort of person, this makeup will cake horribly. I've never met anyone who was able to use this product without a mattifying cream or lotion primer AND naturally dry or dryish combination skin to put it on. Don't waste your money like I did. They won't tell you this down at the Planet Beauty, but, if you have oily skin, you must use as few products as possible (so your skin can breathe) and your foundation should be a light, very light, thin lotion or liquid, oil free and marketed (and reviewed) as being good for acne prone skin and oily skin. A powder will just end up absorbing the oil and cracking. Oil and powder do not mix.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2012 5:44:00 PM More reviews by GypsyRose23

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really love this product. I've been using it for years in the Bisque shade (fair skin). It was recommend by my derm because I was having sensitive skin issues for a time during my 20's - 30's. I've always used it over a moisturizer (after allowing time for absorption of course) with only dark circle corrector underneath.

On younger skin (dry/combo skin that is), it gives a matte porcelain finish that lasts a long time without frequent touchups. I also like that it has an SPF 20 factor that is provided naturally by the high content of titanium dioxide. I don't spend much time in the sun, so I've always felt this was protection enough for me.

Sadly, as my skin has aged, I notice the powdery consistency isn't as kind to my complexion as it used to be. As every woman over 40 knows, powder and fine lines don't mix well. Even though this product doesn't crease in the fine lines, at 50 yo, the powder does draw attention to them, especially around my eyes when I brush it over the dark circle corrector.

Because I love this product so much, and because I would highly recommend it to younger women, I'm now experimenting with ways to continue to use it without putting it around my eyes and my mouth. So far, I've had some luck with using a tinted foundation primer (Clinque City Block SPF 25). It holds my dark circle corrector in place without having to dust with the foundation. It also provides similar sunscreen protection with natural ingredients, which is important to me. If I only use the JI sparingly, I can still achieve a mostly matte porcelain finish, though it's more complicated now than it was 20 years ago.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/2/2012 4:34:00 AM More reviews by Magapurna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I was talked into buying it at a Spa but I think I was advised the wrong shade (light beige - too dark for me!). It was very expensive but has lasted a long time. It didn't really work on top of a moisturizer alone (I was all shiny within 60-90 minutes!) but a moisturizer + OC8 combo did the trick. It lasted for a good few hours.
The coverage is quite good and it's easy to build up.
I like the fact you can buy the refill only - the "gold" case is rather posh and altogether too much for a make-up item (very heavy as well!)! It is very expensive - I'm now planning to try EL Double Wear Stay-in-Place Powder Make-Up...

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2012 12:48:00 AM More reviews by Marsaries

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using this for a while now, in alternance with the Missha BB cream. After my Everyday Minerals fiasco, I was so happy to finally find Jane Iredale pressed powder.

It is light, packed with antioxidants, and gives me the perfect coverage - I was matched to Radiant which is just the perfect tone. It doesn't feel like I'm wearing make up as opposed to regular foundation or even the BB cream at times. My skin is in very good condition and I only have a few blemishes and a bit of redness to hide and this is perfect for it. I do have to touch up mid afternoon but I have oily skin so I have to put up with retouching no matter what I put on my face.

Worth the price and I will certainly repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/9/2012 12:28:00 PM More reviews by Techers

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This did not work at all for me. First it was difficult to get a color match. When I found the right shade, I discovered that this product did NOTHING for me. It looked unnatural and did not offer any coverage. I have used drug store products that work much much better---looking more natural, offering more coverage and a lot less $$$$ The only positive thing I can say is that this did not seem to break me out (although I only used it a few times---so I'm not sure)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2012 8:04:00 PM More reviews by richellealexis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used this powder for years, and while I have since switched to a different product, I still believe that Jane offers one of the best pressed powders on the market. Although it is outrageously expensive ($56 CAD), it still has incredible skin care benefits to it. As a skincare expert (and being trained in Jane Iredale products), I strongly stand by the fact that Jane is essentially 'skincare makeup'.

I see most users that didn't like it only tried it once. One thing that many Jane Iredale retailers forget to mention is that over time, your skin will get BETTER after using this product. Not going to lie, when I started using Jane I didn't like it either. I thought I was breaking out too much and my skin wasn't happy, however after a few weeks my skin was 100% flawless. I always remember my trainer telling me that this poweder essentially 'de-craps' your skin. Don't forget - things will always become worse before they get better. This pressed powder is meant for those who have normal-oily skin types, and if you find that you are more on the dry side, I would definitely give the loose powder a try (which is meant for dry-sensitive skin types). Best thing to do is to speak to an esthetician who has been trained on Jane Iredale products and knows how to apply it.

Should you choose to buy this product, it is a MUST that you purchase the Handi brush with it. Might seem like you're breaking the bank but I promise it is worth every penny. It is a little fluffy brush with a flat surface allowing you to apply the makeup evenly all over your face, and it will last you a lifetime.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2012 1:32:00 AM More reviews by LuxeLuver374

I have been using this in Bisque as my daily foundation for three years now and it is a vital part of my makeup routine. I apply it over moisturizer and set it using Jane Iredale's Hydration Spray, but I've also worn it without the spray and it looks just as good. I visit a dermatologist for acne issues and it was she who recommended this product. Used with concealer, it effectively reduces the redness of my breakouts and gives my skin that 'airbrushed' look. My T-zone is oily, but I've also dealt with massive dry, flaky patches on my chin. This powder does not accentuate the dry patches, as I first feared it would; rather, it smooths them out enough so they're not so painfully obvious. Coverage is certainly buildable but it is still very pigmented. One compact of this lasts me for 7 or 8 months, with daily use. The price, while spendy, doesn't bother me because I like to use higher-quality products for the sensitive skin on my face.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2012 6:33:00 PM More reviews by Chrysantza

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I want to first say why I like this product in particular and why Jane Iredale is so far the only mineral makeup I can use: Pure Pressed Base comes in the widest variety of shades *and undertones* I have so far seen. I am a cool-toned PPP and most MMU's, even the very light ones, are too yellow - as in noticeably yellow, it doesn't blend in, makes my aging skin look even older and my skin sallow. I'd given up on MMU until I found Jane Iredale.

I use Light Beige, the lightest cool tone. (The website offers the complete range of shades that IME retailers don't always carry, so do check the website.) I use a Kabuki brush to apply it, never a puff (good brushes make or break product application). It goes on over my primer and doesn't need any powder to set it, and lasts all day. The product is very VERY expensive but a little goes such a long way that one compact will last from six months to a year of use (depending on how often you use and reapply). This adds up to cents per wearing so it's not as expensive as it looks when you buy it.

This does not look cakey or made-up, nor does it make my (almost 50 years) skin look crepey or settle into my lines or pores (primer really helps). I've been told that it looks like I am not wearing makeup at all.

As somebody who really wanted to use MMU but just couldn't find a suitable product for her skin tone and type until she found Jane Iredale, I think it's definitely worth the splurge. Jane Iredale was one of the pioneers of MMU and this was designed for people who otherwise couldn't wear foundation at all. I don't have especially sensitive skin (just dry!) so YMMV on this one; I was attracted by the fact that finally there was a cool-toned shade available in MMU! All in all one of the best MMU's out there.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/16/2012 5:28:00 PM More reviews by taylor105516

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have fair, very sensitive, red, acne-prone skin -- basically the worst combination. I wanted to try a natural product that would help my skin breathe. Instead, I ended up with this crap. It is the worst waste of $50 that I have ever spent. By the end of the day my pores were clogged and enlarged. As is that wasn't bad enough my face began to glisten even more so; I didn't even know that was possible.

I will not be repurchasing this expensive product again.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/15/2012 8:33:00 PM More reviews by cardinalfire

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

No. How is this product for sensitive skin? I wore this one day. The coverage is light-medium. In a few hours, it both clogged (dimethicone?) and irritated (extracts?) my skin. I gave it one lippie for the broad color selection and decent finish. If you are sensitive and acne-prone, I would stay away from this product.