October 21, 2014 | 1757 users online

Powder - Physicians Formula - Healthy Wear SPF 50 Powder Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2011 6:03:00 PM More reviews by rtaylor01

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have oily skin and large pores and I tend to turn foundation orange so I was reluctant, given the reviews. I bought the lightest shade and found it to be perfect.
    Great coverage, lasts well, no breakouts. Can reapply throughout the day with no buildup.
    I havent bought a drugstore item I have liked this much in a very long time.
    I will repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2011 9:58:00 PM More reviews by Banjos

I had the same problem many MUA posters also experienced: turns orangey-dark. I got the beige shade and maybe I would have had better luck with the lightest one but others here have complained about those shades also turning. I am very disappointed because the SPF is great but the cosmetic result is not acceptable. It is also pricey for a drug store brand.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2011 9:05:00 PM More reviews by jskellis

I'm pretty fair skinned and the biggest problem might be that the product is far too dark/orange, even in the lightest shade. I noticed this when I first wore it, but repeated my use of it since it's summer and this powder has a very high concentration of physical UVA blockers.

Despite my strong desire to have good SPF coverage, I couldn't bring myself to use this product after about two weeks because it made me look terrible- I applied a light layer and it caked immediately over my SPF moisturizer (which does not happen with other pressed powders). Later in the day it looks even worse and very unnatural. I'd have to sneak away and blot all the time.

Now I just wear it very lightly around my eyes for the physical UV block but I cant stand to use it over my whole face.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2011 10:22:00 PM More reviews by jlualwayyz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this foundation because of the high spf. I apply this foundation with a mini kabuki brush from eco tools, it takes away the oiliness from the sunscreen and also adds extra sun protection. The bad thing about this foundation is that it can look chalky for those who have dry skin, very little coverage, and possibly cause breakouts. When i first started using this i applied it with a sponge, this gave more coverage but it gave me pimples due to thickness of the foundation. But when i started applying light layers with a brush i stopped breaking out but at the same time I also made sure i cleansed twice with a foam cleanser. This product has high spf which means it can be very irritating to the skin if not removed thoroughly.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2011 2:58:00 AM More reviews by curlyjo1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is great stuff for me. I need to use a sunscreen daily - I'm getting the over 40 sun damaged skin and working on trying to fix that and in the mean time, I also have acne which is exacerbated by any kind of liquid foundation I use. I found that liquid sunscreens were also just breaking me out, regardless of their oil-freeness so I began looking for a powder foundation with a serious spf in it. I found this after reading reviews by Paula Begoun. I like it a lot. I bought it thinking it was just a powder but it's a foundation with quite a bit of coverage. The package is fine, comes with a cosmetic sponge rather than a powder puff type of applicator. It's effective as a sunscreen and I haven't broken out with this yet.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2011 4:07:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

Returned this right away, the color looked so light but went on so dark! It was also chalky with zero coverage. I literally had no use for it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2011 9:53:00 PM More reviews by frizzymom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really like this foundation. I use it just before my moisturizer has all the way absorbed and I apply it with a makeup sponge. I end up with a very good finish that makeup goes over without any difficulty. I struggle with oily skin prone to all types of acne and this has me fairly under control (along with Epiduo, I don't want to mislead anyone that this heals acne). I also work outdoors sometimes in full sun and I have no signs of sun damage or burns showing up. I am re-buying tomorrow :) But I *hated* the liquid of this same line. Goop city.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/4/2011 6:16:00 AM More reviews by DustBunnyLife

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

So. While looking for a new, inexpensive foundation powder, I came across the reviews on this one. It was very cheap compared to the department store brand I usually get so I figured why not? I'm so glad I tried it! While there are other, more expensive brands I would prefer, this is a great affordable alternative! Great coverage for a powder, really evens my skin tone, stays matte most of the day and provides great sun protection! It is a little dry (even for my very oily skin) so make sure you moisturize accordingly and that should take care of it. The sponge is in a separate compartment so that's a nice plus even though it IS a bit rough I find it works fine as I have no patience for spending all day putting on my makeup. The packaging is a bit in your face but still sort of cute all the same and I'm more concerned with the product itself anyway. Overall, like I said, a great low cost alternative and you can't beat that sun protection for the price either!

***UPDATE***
    So after using this for a while I started breaking out very badly. It could be stress (planning a wedding) or the weather (sooo hot and humid this summer) or any number of other things but I stopped using this all the same and am clearing up a bit now. Not saying it's this powder but still wanted to mention it. I will keep this and use it as a setting powder with a brush. Haven't used it like that yet but will post an update on how it goes.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/2/2011 3:55:00 AM More reviews by niki0315

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this compact in shade "creamy beige" at 75% off CVS sale. However, the color is very pink tone so it doesn't look natural on my NC25 skin. The powder was fine milled but a little too dry for dry skin to apply smoothly with sponge. Slightly better with a brush. The pink sponge is hard and rough. I will stick with my Shishedo Sun compact foundation SPF34 which works better and flawless on me.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2011 2:54:00 AM More reviews by sambojomo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

As a natural red head I was SO happy to find a cheap foundation with a high SPF and UVA protection for my daily wear. I'm very happy with this product and have already repurchased it a few times.

My skin is about NC15 and the light color matches me just fine (though it is hard to find, I finally ran into it at Bed Bath and Beyond of all places). The coverage is very buildable from sheer with a brush to heavy when spot applied with a sponge.

An additional bonus is that Cosmetics Database has it's safety rating at a 3, which is great!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No