April 16, 2014 | 970 users online

Cleansers - Simple - Kind to Skin Refreshing Wash Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2012 4:26:00 PM More reviews by puxa1978

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Considering I am approaching mid-thirties, used tons of beauty products, Simple cleanser products are the only beauty products that survived from my teenage skincare routine. I use this cleanser mornings only on a yearly basis. I have got combination and sensitive skin. I have tried several facial washes, some irritated my skin sometimes even causing severe itching. Fortunately this one does not create havoc to my skin or cause any sort of dryness. I am not so fussy when it comes to cleansers since in my opinion spending money on expensive cleansers is a waste of money. A cleanser’s job is only to remove dirt or make up and maintaining the skin p.h balance. Please note that this wash is of no use when removing make up. I also like the fact that it is fragrance free and a tube will last for many months.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2012 11:46:00 AM More reviews by cotterb

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I recommend this to anyone with sensitive or combination skin, who doesn't mind a cleanser that doesn't lather. It is not only unscented; it is virtually scentless, so it may also suit people who have a hypersensitive sense of smell.

I used this product for the first time a few years ago, when I had typical combination skin: oily T-zone, dry outer face. It worked like a dream. I've noticed people here complaining that this cleanser doesn't lather: I didn't like that when I first started using this stuff either. I thought that only a lather could strip away oil and dirt. However, that's what this cleanser did for me. It truly did bring balance to my skin: less oil on my T-zone, less dryness around my jaw and hairline. I used three tubes over the course of one school year, using it twice a day with few exceptions - not bad value for money. After a period of experimenting with raw/organic products that wreaked havoc on my skin, I returned to this Simple cleanser. My acne cleared up and my T-zone became less oily after doing so, but I think that was due largely to hormones. This cleanser just helped me through those changes. I have recommended it to friends of various ethnicities and skin problems, and they have all liked it: however, the lack of a lather has been a deal-breaker for some.

And now, on packaging: a few years ago I was living in the UK and now I live in the US. The UK packaging is so much better!! It's the little hole/nozzle under the cap through which the product comes through. The UK packaging doesn't allow product out without a squeeze, whereas the product seeps out of the US packaging if you leave the cap off. Just thought I'd alert US residents to the fact that Simple packaging isn't always sub-par!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/6/2012 9:16:00 PM More reviews by dancergirl68

turned cheeks red. dried out my face. 2 days after i stopped it my face still feels like its burning. beware.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2012 6:19:00 PM More reviews by Ayuri

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received this product as a sample, and after a few weeks of use this has become HG status. It is a plain, no frills gel cleanser that is free of sulfates, dyes, and fragrances. It does not foam much, doesn't leave a residue, and is the gentlest cleanser I have ever tried.

WHAT TO USE IT FOR:
1) Morning cleanser. Assuming you don't go to bed wearing a lot of difficult to remove products, this is perfect for mornings.
2) Follow up cleanser in the Double Cleanse method. Double Cleanse is a popular method (especially in Asia) wherein 2 cleansers are used. I like to use this method to remove my sunscreen, first with a cleansing oil and then following up with this gel cleanser.
3) On days you have very little product on your face.

WHAT NOT TO EXPECT:
Don't expect this product to remove foundation, eye makeup, or tough sunscreens; you need a separate cleanser.

HOW DOES IT COMPARE:
I have also tried several other gentle drugstore cleansers, such as Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, Olay Sensitive Skin Foaming Face Wash, and Johnson & Johnson Head to Toe Baby Wash. This one cleans just as well as the others, and it is by far the most gentle and least drying. My face still feels a bit tight after the other cleansers, but with this one I don't feel the need to moisturize at all, as my face doesn't feel the least bit dry (though this doesn't mean I would recommend skipping moisturizer completely).

WHERE TO GET IT:
It's pretty easy to find. You can get it for around $7-9 at Target, Walmart, drugstores, etc.

EDIT - I recently bought the UK version to try it out. It foams a lot more than the US version (which has little to no foaming action), but they work about the same. I think I actually prefer the US version because I've gotten used to non-foaming cleansers.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2012 5:17:00 PM More reviews by YellowLantern

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for a month and I have no complaints. I would recommend this for dry to combination skin. This removes makeup without leaving residue or drying the skin. It doesn't lather a whole lot, but I don't really care. I just spread this around my face and rub gently. Afterwards my skin feels refreshed and not greasy or tight. I think for summer this would not be cleansing enough for me, but for fall and winter it's been a great fit for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2012 11:55:00 AM More reviews by Tartlette

Love this cleanser! I have only recently seen this in stores here in Canada and picked it up because I couldn't find the cleanser I was using previously. It looked like a good choice for my combination skin, which is also very sensitive. The green packaging looks nice and I usually have no problems getting out the desired amount of product, although sometimes I have an issue with product slipping out as I open it. Not a huge deal though! This product doesn't produce a huge lather, but it lathers up enough to make me happy. It removes all of my leftover makeup and my skin is left feeling very smooth and clean and not at all tight or dry. There is no scent since the product is fragrance free. I would definitely repurchase this product - it gets the job done and at an affordable price-point.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2012 8:18:00 AM More reviews by Chidders

I have been using this product for over 10 years and I have absolutely no complaints. However, it does mean I cannot compare this within my review to other products because I have never had any reason to use anything else!

For me, this gel works great. I use it twice a day, it removes all my make up at the end of the day, i do only use a pea size amount of gel and massage in well, on ocassions if I have worn heavy eye make up I have to repeat the process. I does take a bit of rinsing, but this suits my personal taste as I like the feeling of water and freshness on my face. I wouldn't say it was moisturising so if that is what you are looking for then this is not it. This is a refreshing gel wash, that does not leave my skin tight but it is necessary to apply moisturiser afterwards.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2012 11:54:00 AM More reviews by smolderingviolet

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got this a little over a week ago and have used it twice a day since. I was a little nervous at first because in the past I've had acne issues and have been using an anti-acne face wash since I was a teenager, but lately it had been drying out my face way to much to continue using it. A week later I have had no issues whatsoever. I like that it comes in a tube, but I can already see that it will be difficult to get the last little bit out. I also use it with a brush which of course will have a dramatic effect on the results. Its very gentle, doesn't over dry my skin but it also doesn't make it shiny or oily. Overall I really like it and will continue purchasing it as long as it keeps working.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2012 10:54:00 AM More reviews by PandaLalaa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a no frills cleanser with a very innocent ingredient list. I decided to try it because my skin in its current state is rather sensitive and doesn't fare well with a ton of ingredients. I LOVED this stuff for a while, it didn't cause breakouts or irritation, but eventually it did dry my skin out like there's no tomorrow. I am on retin-a, so I guess that's worth mentioning, but there are other cleansers I've used while on it that didn't leave my skin as Sahara like as this one did.
As for the packaging, for some reason 3 of the 4 tubes I bought really liked to leak. Even when I made sure the top was snapped on securely, I would open the tube to find a ton of product pooled in the cap and occasionally even dripping down the side.

People using harsh treatments like retin-a or chemical peels, or people suffering from chronic dryness may want to try something else. Otherwise, I feel as though this is a pretty decent cleanser.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2012 10:12:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

Gave this a whirl when it was relatively new to the US. Can't say I'm a total fan though. I feel that even though it's a gel formula, it's very hard to wash off. I have to rinse so much more than any other cleanser I've used because I feel like my skin is still slippery.

Once I get all of the stuff off, it does leave my skin feeling clean and refreshed, but it's no different than any other cleanser I've used previously.