April 20, 2014 | 1652 users online

Eye Primer - NYX - Eyeshadow Base in Skin Tone

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 3/8/2011 9:23:00 PM More reviews by sarahdams

I reach for this e/s base when I swatch e/s or am having a casual day. A little goes a long way, and if you use too much your e/s will crease either immediately or sooner in the day. I don't care for the skin tone color, it is too dark/yellow for me. However, it redeems itself by really making colors stand out, although it does crease easily. I would suggest using a primer before this base, it makes it last a lot longer.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2011 4:26:00 PM More reviews by KiKiDisney

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Pretty good base. It keeps my shadows staying on all day long and brightens the colors. The only thing is that it is a little too dark for my skin tone. I usually apply primer all over the lid up to the brow bone but with this I only wear it on the eye lid and the crease. When I put it all over the lid I felt like it was competing with the other shadows. So I don't usually use this for every color. I mainly use this for when im wearing dark colors or browns because it does a great job of bringing out the browns and I absolutely love it for that. I also like it just by itself. Sometimes I just use this on the lid and crease and a little white eye liner and it makes a natural look. So overall I would recommend this if you are looking for a good color base and if you have darker olive skin or yellow undertones.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2011 12:24:00 PM More reviews by reenerneener

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

For being a "skin tone" primer, this is awful dark. I have exceptionally fair skin & this base is just bleh on me. I do like the white one a lot & will generally stick to using that. I would suggest using this base on the lid only & if your makeup passes your crease, try the white base or Milk eye pencil (or something lighter in general) to help with applying your highlight. I found both this & the white base on clearance at Ulta, plus got BOGO50% off, so these were really cheap for me. I do like the container as I find it easier to just dip my finger or brush in & grab what I need. Unfortunately, I wouldn't purchase this again, not in this colour.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/14/2011 12:18:00 PM More reviews by Schejtan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Up until just a few days ago my HG e/s primer was Art Deco's (a German drugstore brand) e/s base. But then I tried Too Faced E/s Insurance and it was love at first sight. Anyway, in between I did some experimenting with the NYX's e/s base and I was not impressed. Sure, my e/s creased less with it than without it. But still, my days are usually quite long, so my e/s has to last for about 10 hours, which it usually does with Art Deco's e/s base. Unfortunately NYX isn't as good. My e/s creases after about 6 hours. Some might think that's a lot of time, but I just need more, as I usually don't find the time to do touch-ups during the day.
What I also seriously dislike about this e/s base is its colour. I'm very pale (I mix Revlon's Colorstay in Ivory with Barry M's Creme Foundation in White to get the right shade of foundation) and this base looks horrible if I don't blend it carefully and make sure I cover it all up with e/s. Words can not describe how much I hate it when brands ignore the fact that there are many of us out there who are pale (and who like to be pale).
Anyway, will not repurchase. I'll use it on shorter days or give it to my sister or something.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/12/2011 2:48:00 PM More reviews by ambiessence

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this product thinking it would be an inexpensive alternative to UDPP. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wore UDPP on one eye, NYX on the other. The NYX lasted 4 hours at most. Going to but UDPP tomorrow. I'll keep the NYX container to use when I pot the UDPP.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2011 7:58:00 PM More reviews by raenamercedi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this to use with NYX pigments. I did not like the pigments, and they all went into the garbage after one use. I tried to use the Eyeshadow Base for it's intended use with other brands of shadows. It was a disaster. Shadows that have never creased before, including Guerlain, creased horribly with this product.
After realizing that it was almost an exact match to my skintone, I tried using it as a concealer, and I love it for this purpose. I use the La Mer The Radiant Concealer (medium) underneath my eyes, but it is a shade too light for the rest of my face to cover blemishes, redness, etc.
The NYX Eyeshadow Base covers EVERYTHING, dries to a nice finish, and it lasts all day (when set with powder).
I would not re-purchase (or use) this as an eyeshadow base, but I would re-purchase as a concealer. Also, it is quite inexpensive, which is a nice change from the other concealers that I have purchased in the past.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/1/2011 10:18:00 AM More reviews by NoSugarCoating

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I don't like this product. I keep trying to find something that's up to par with Urban Decay's Primer Potion and this definitely isn't it. It wasn't very expensive, so at least I'm not out too much. It creases like crazy! I've tried using less, and using more.. but I still get that gross crease about 3 or 4 hours after putting it on. UDPP remains undefeated.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/16/2010 2:31:00 PM More reviews by JayMUA

when im in a pinch, yes this base will work. it is not as good as udpp but i will say it does last me 8 hours. however, my days are longer than 8 hours so this would not always suffice.

if im going out really quick or having a short day at work or class id use this cuz its cheap & lasts about 8 hours. for times i need a whole day or going out somewhere nice id def reach for my udpp instead.

would i buy it again? maybe. if i was tight on cash it couldnt hurt.

overall this is good for a short amount of time. if youre going to be out for less than 8 hours then this will def do its job. if youre reapplying makeup at night & will only be out for about 3-5 hours, this will work.

if youre like me & your days are at least 12 hours, id go for udpp

UPDATE: I tried it again -- it only lasted maybe 4-6 hours

rated 1 of 5 on 12/13/2010 3:14:00 AM More reviews by Elemyu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I never had a problem with creasing. My makeup artist, however, said that I should wear eyeshadow primer because it makes a difference. I started with this one, and I gotta say...I now have a creasing problem. The color is a nice matte skin tone, but that is the only thing I like about this product. It automatically shows creases, and I'm pretty sure that's not what it's supposed to do.

I'm not going to buy again...

rated 3 of 5 on 12/12/2010 1:11:00 AM More reviews by jess213

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this! I didn't think I needed a shadow base until I used the baked Hard Candy shadows. I loved the colors, but they creased after a couple of hours! I picked this up at ULTA since they were out of TFSI (what I originally wanted to try) and I use it everyday, under both DS and HE shadows. It is darker than my skintone (I'm usually the lightest shade in fdtn, approximately NC15), but it blends out. I use a concealer brush to apply and blend this.