April 24, 2014 | 1021 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - Studio High Definition Powder

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 8/8/2013 2:44:00 AM More reviews by puffle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I do like this powder, and I use it all over for a matte look, or just in my t-zone and under my eyes for a more dewy one. Unfortunately, it's easy to get a bit cakey and powdery looking with my dry skin. I'm dry all over and very dry on my nose, and it can definitely look powdery if go overboard. That being said, I'm also not in love with the packaging. It a rather large black box, with the loose powder inside and a sifter. It's big and bulky and not easy to carry around, and the sifter is pretty useless. If you take out the powder puff like I did, the powder will go everywhere in the box and puff out at you when you open it. And the sifter has really large holes, and its hard to get the right amount of powder. There's also small chunks of powder, like not all of it was properly milled.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2013 9:08:00 PM More reviews by lebon

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Yet another product I would never have tried had it not been for the unfailingly excellent advice from the people on this site! While I'm not an across the board product snob, I do tend to be picky when it comes to foundation and powder. Not anymore! So many others have articulated the merits of this, so I'll try not to be repetitive.

Some things I particularly like about this:

1) The consistency: This is so finely milled; it's almost lighter than the consistency of baking soda, which means it's perfect for setting concealer. There's no danger of it settling into fine lines or appearing chalky. It actually reminds me of the setting powder in Laura Mercier's Undercover Pot (which is far more expensive than this). I've not tried it as a thickener for lashes before applying mascara, but I suspect it'd be perfect for that, too.

2) The fact that it truly is sheer. I like the consistency of Neutrogena's mineral powder, but I can't find a shade that matches my skin. That's not a problem with the E.L.F., as it's so fine that it dissipates into skin.

My only criticism would be with the packaging - while I do like the utility of the solid black box, trying to turn the square, chunky lid is a bit awkward. At the risk of sounding prissy, I swear I've nearly broken a nail twice on this thing. :o)

All that said: Great product, great value. Thanks again, MUA reviewers!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2013 9:04:00 AM More reviews by shuluva1

This is a HG product for me! Works wonderfully! Feels so good on my face. Also a great setting powder for Concealer.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2013 5:51:00 AM More reviews by sakura14

I can't believe how long lasting the E.L.F HD Studio Powder. It definitely beats Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish powder by a tenfold.

Let's go the packaging first.
It is sturdy yet bulky. It doesn't have any whimsical designs..it's just a solid black box with a label on top. It is impossible to stash it inside your everyday cosmetic pouch because of it's big and angular shape.

Quality:
It is definitely long lasting! I have combination to oily skin, combination on cold weather and oily skin in hot weather, and astounds me that it lasting half a day without touch up. Despite my hectic schedule, running to and fro from air conditioned room to the natural environment with sweat dripping. It stayed put like an obedient dog.

Unlike Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish powder, it doesn't settle down on large pores. It somehow make the face smooth and soft with minimized pores.

PS. This is the first time I gave a 5 star to a product so that means I'm definitely impressed by this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2013 12:10:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe73

After reading all of the great reviews about ELF's HD powder, I had to try it for myself...after all, what's the most that I'd lose--$6 and an hour in Target? So why not?

The reviews are spot-on. This is a great setting powder. Coverage is light, not cakey or chalking. It goes on smoothly and blends wonderfully. It feels light and silky on my skin; I don't feel--or look--like I slapped on a whole bunch of powder. It sets my foundation without adding additional color, which is exactly what I'm looking for. Oil control is fair, but keep in mind that this isn't specifically billed as an oil-control product, so if you're very oily this might not work for you. I alternate using this with my Tarte Amazonian Clay powder.

My only complaint is the packaging. Yes, it's large which is nice as you're getting a lot of product for your money. The large lid is also great for swirling the brush in and tapping off the excess. However, the screen lets out the product too easily (a complete 180 from Tarte's one-hole powder dispenser). So it's easy for too much powder to end up on your brush or puff. I don't use the puff for applying the product; I use it to keep the powder in place when I travel. I use ELF's Kabuki brush (another awesome product) to apply the powder.

I will definitely repurchase this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2013 7:35:00 PM More reviews by SamanthaJo19

This is a great product for the price you pay. Its a basic translucent powder that helps control oil and set your foundation. I dont care for the packaging very well but dont know how to make packaging better. I use the poof or whatever it is first and just pat the product on and then use my e.l.f. Kabuki to blend it and apply more to my T-zone. This does a good job of controlling oil, but isnt amazing. I will continue to purchase this instead of spending a fortune for nearly the same product in different packaging and a well known brand name. I love how you can apply a ton and it wont get cakey or anything.
Pros:
Price
Controls Oil
Not cakey
Smooth and blendable

Cons:
Packaging is bulky and annoying
Doesnt fully control t-zone oil but what does?

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2013 10:05:00 PM More reviews by cboylove

This product is good, it's a translucent finishing powder, when used with the puff included it really locks in any face makeup, controls oil well, blurs imperfections and pores. It's not amazing but it's decent and cheap.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2013 1:32:00 PM More reviews by emily0212

Finally, a five star product from e.l.f. This stuff is so neat. It really does "blur" lines and imperfections. I love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2013 10:09:00 AM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

ELF never fails to amaze me. Seriously.
I needed a good setting powder, but I wasn't in the market for something with coverage, as my foundation and concealer do enough on their own. I just wanted something that would set the makeup in place and look flawless.
I've been using the HD powder from ELF for about six months now, maybe more, and I adore it. I use it over BB creams, foundation, tinted moisturizer, or just as an all-over dusting when I've done spot concealing and left my face otherwise bare. It's perfect.
My skin is quite oily and porous, and this keeps my face from looking like a cavernous Slip 'n Slide. It photographs beautifully as well.
I find the pouf that comes with it to be useless in terms of direct application, but it is great for dispensing the product. I keep it in the container to keep the powder from getting everywhere, and when I want to use it, I press the pouf against the top, turn the container upside down, and then pat my ELF kabuki brush onto the pouf, picking up what was dispensed. I find it gives me just the right amount of product and keeps messes at bay. But don't apply to the face with the pouf or you'll end up applying way too much.
The package itself is a tad bulky, but it looks pretty. Simple and matte black.
And the price is obviously fantastic. To me, paying $6 for something that in my experience works every bit as well as the MUFE HD powder is a no-brainer.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2013 9:25:00 AM More reviews by cpetersen

I really love this product! It leaves my skin super soft! Also I have HUGE pores which it has no problem covering. It is very nice for some oil control but I use a oil control primer also so I can't tell that much. This is a must buy.