Hard Candy Sheer Envy Primer

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Silica Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicon Crosspolymer, Dimethiconol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Mica, Titanium Dioxide,dkl

on 1/27/2013 7:46:00 PM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

So I was a little skeptical when I first bought this, but I feel like my foundation has been a mess lately and I was desperate. I am SO glad i bought this! I'm middle eastern (think tan) and while I don't have acne I have...I'm not sure maybe they're black heads? Either way they're awful and any foundation I use seems to emphasize them instead of mask them! So I put on this primer and it is so SOFT!!! So soft that I wasn't sure if I even had any product to rub onto my face. A little bit goes a long way so don't put too much!
I don't regret it because for the first time in a long while my foundation actually looked good on me! My blemishes were COVERED instead of exaggerated. I completely recommend this! It's on par with Urban decays face primer which is just as soft and actually doesn't help me as much as this did!

on 1/26/2013 6:55:00 PM

My first primer I ever used and I am super happy with it. I knew foundation primer wasn't necessary so I never bother using one, but I was wrong. This primer made my foundation stay the whole day and it made my skin silky smooth after I put it on. My face doesn't look oily/greasy after the long day when I used primer. I used less foundation and it blended a bit more evenly and smoothly. I didn't have to wait before I put foundation and my face feels really light, as if, I don't have foundation on.

It does have a purple undertone to it, so I would shake the tube before using it. Also, when I accidentally missed a spot on my face, it looks spoty/patchy when I apply foundation. It does dry pretty fast so I have to work with a quick hand to cover my whole face.

I don't like using Hard Candy products, but for $8 at Walmart is inexpensive, also considering the fact you only need a small pea-sized amount, and it works great.
I probably will buy it again, but I would like to try different primers to compare it with.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I feel like this primer along with Revlon's PhotoReady Primer are the two best available at the drugstore for anyone with oily skin and visible pores. I received a small size of this in a Hard Candy gift set last Christmas (2011) and it sat for at least 6 months before I even tried it. After I did I was so surprised at how well I liked it and immediately ran out and purchased the full size at my local WalMart. You can't beat the price, $8 USD for a decent size squeeze tube of product. It's quite siliconey, so if you're sensitive to silicones this isn't the primer for you. Personally my skin tolerates silicones well, and I especially like primers like this one for blurring my jumbo pores.
When the weather changed this past fall though and got cooler, this primer started causing me flakies and I retired it for a while. It's still wintertime here but I recently got it back out anyway now that I'm using a different moisturizer and foundation (my daily moisturizer being Garnier Moisture Rescue Gel-Cream for Dry Skin) and it no longer gives me the "dehydrated skin look" (yay!)
It is a bit "wet" feeling (if that makes sense?) -If you apply more than a pea size amount you'll need to wait 10 minutes or so for it to sink in. It also can separate a little bit in the bottle, which requires a little shake of the tube before each use after you have it for a while, but that's no biggie in my eyes for a product that performs well :)
And this is another one of those primers that's ideal for use OVER makeup as well as under, and can also be worn alone. If your pores are jumbo like mine and you don't want them to be visible but don't have time or need to wear any other makeup, just apply a little of this and go! &When I feel like my pores are looking extra large while I AM wearing makeup and I've already applied primer underneath, I'll just lightly dab a small amount of this over top of my foundation or powder, and it makes me poreless. Using under as well as over my makeup gives the best results (and I feel the same about the Revlon PhotoReady Primer I mentioned above)
Overall it's not THE most mattifying primer on the drugstore market (that award I feel would go to Black Radiance's Complexion Perfecting Primer) -but that primer does nothing for my pore size. So I typically end up pairing two together - one for mattifying my oilies, and another for blurring my pore size and this method works well for me :)
I think this is a steal for the super inexpensive pricetag, and I do plan to repurchase :)

on 1/10/2013 10:46:00 PM

Update:
Feels silky, makes my makeup go on nicely, it doesn't really help with staying power but its ok for large pores and fine lines. Its decent but I really don't go to it all that often so I wouldn't repurchase.

on 1/9/2013 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I put Smashbox primer on one side of my face and Hard Candy envy on the other for two days. The smashbox side broke out but hard candy didn't. Hard candy also minimized my pores and smashbox made them more apparent! I'm going to try the smashbox specifically for wrinkles but Hard Candy will be my whole face primer. (I did trade the regular smashbox primer for the smashbox targeted pore and line primer, which does make more of a difference on those wrinkles but if I had to pick just one primer, I'd pick hard candy.)

This was the first primer I've ever used and I made the mistake of over applying this stuff. You really only need a pea size drop and it smoothed out the texture. I never used it as a moisturizer but it's really for oily skin!

I mostly just use this for my face before I apply foundation. It has a greasy feel with application, but it dries velvety smooth. And It helps greatly with long lasting coverage!

on 11/8/2012 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

you must must must shake this product before use or it will not work nicely and water will come out the end. It is a gel like product and is really smooth. The last power is ok, and is very affortable.

on 10/26/2012 4:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've had this for a few weeks now and I am quite impressed. Unlike my old primer from E.L.F. it doesn't cause little bumps on my forehead to appear (that really irritated me). But here's something strange that happened. I think it was because of my heater, I'm not entirely sure, but at one point, for a few days, the primer wasn't as thick as it should have been. In fact it came out runny and was a purple-ish pink color. It went back to normal of course, but it did make me question it's quality. Unless I find a better primer, I will be repurchasing.

on 10/5/2012 10:45:00 PM

All and all this is a good primer. The only down side is the shine it gives me around my t-zone but I don't really blame the product. I already have a shine going on in that area. I just skip putting it on that area and have no problems with the areas I use it on. It smooths my face and has the silky texture. It has yet to break me out which is a plus, plus! It isn't as good as Smashbox's primer but it is pretty close.

Popular Primer/ Correctors