February 28, 2015 | 1321 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Matte

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2013 12:09:00 PM More reviews by nnovak006

I'm not sure why this foundation got such awful reviews but I think it might have more to do with application. I went into Nordstrom's to look for a new foundation and the SA told me to try this foundation for summer. She color matched me to Fiji (NC25) and told me to apply this with my fingers or else it wouldn't melt into my skin. Today I applied it for the first time at home and this is my impression.

Pros:
-Good color match
-Does what it says
-Light to medium buildable coverage
-Kept my face pretty matte throughout the day
-Didn't accentuate my pores

Cons:
-Can be tricky to apply

For application, I used my beauty blender and fingers with a primer underneath (smashbox light). I tried at first to use my Sigma F80 brush but that didn't go so well so I think with this foundation you will have to use fingers or sponge. I set with the Nars Loose Reflecting Powder. Overall, this is a very good summer foundation and worth a try if you are oily or in a humid climate.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2013 2:54:00 PM More reviews by Chloeclover

This is a first impression review. Yesterday I went to the mall to try to find a better foundation that can be used everyday or for special occasions. My skin type is really oily and acne prone. Unfortunately, my skin is also very yellow toned because I am Asian and most foundations look really ashy on me. So I went into Sephora and ended up trying the Nars Sheer Matte foundation. I steered away from the Sheer Glow because the word Glow freaks me out because anything "glowy" or dewey will just look like an oil slick on me. I have heard great things about the Sheer Glow but..... had to try the matte version. I tried it in Sephora and applied it with my fingers and basically fell in love with how it felt on my face! It is very light weight and the coverage is about light to medium buildable coverage. So I asked for a sample of the product in Fiji. This is my first day trying to work with the product and figure out best ways to apply it. Unfortunately, it is difficult to apply onto the face with a brush because you have to work it in the skin quickly and a brush makes the product look streaky and at some points it was peeling off my skin in little balls. I also tried to blend this over a silicone based primer and it also balled up... So I had to redo my whole face again and ended up using my fingers which is the best way to apply it! I'm sure using a damp sponge will work well but the product is already light to medium coverage, I don't think I want to sheer it out anymore... So far I like it because of how it looks and feels on the skin. I am not too sure about oil control yet since this is just a first impression.

UPDATE#1:
It's been a few hours and my face is not oily at all (keep in mind I am wearing powder over my foundation). I was watching a tv show and it made me cry and it seems like the foundation is not water resistant (it doesn't claim to be). Anyway I really like the foundation so far, I just wish it was more water resistant.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2013 1:00:00 AM More reviews by ExoticAlbino

I love that there was a color match for my albino warm skintone (Siberia)...but that's as far as the list of pros go for this product in my experience.

This was one of the worst foundations I've ever used. It just kept balling up as I applied it. I wish I could vouch for it's oil controlling properties, but I *couldn't* even keep it on long enough to find out. It looked horrific on me. The patches that didn't ball up looked like dried paint.

I returned it to Sephora.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/8/2013 9:58:00 PM More reviews by waiyi

I am looking for foundation that have oil control, cover my pores and good staying power. A girl from Sephora recommended me "Nars Sheer Matte Foundation", and my color is Figi (I wear Urban Decay Naked 3.0 and Makeup Forever 118 or 120).

Here is what I think about this foundation:

Coverage: Light to medium, it said buildable, but it is not in my case. If I applied more than one layer, it turns CAKEY. It covers my pores well, but not my redness. And it accentuated my dry patches.

Finish: Nice and airbrush matte finish, if I ignored my dry patches.

Staying Power: SUCKS!! It wore off in couple hours without setting powder or setting spray. I did use primer. With setting spray, it wore off in about 4 hours.

Oil Control: There is no such thing in this foundation. My face turns very oily in an hour.

Color: Match perfect, I look very natural which I love.

And it photographs very well.

If you have a normal skin or looking for foundation for photograph well, you may like it.

Will I buy it again?? NO!!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/30/2013 5:55:00 PM More reviews by Kur3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product was recommended to me by a sales associate in sephora. Even after I explained I have very dry skin she told me to use the matte foundation. No matter what moisturizer I used it still dried me out. I used a moisturizing primer and that also didn't help. Waste of 50$.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2013 5:59:00 AM More reviews by Jyfh

I've used both this and the sheer glow one and both of them made my face look flawless without being really caky. I learned that using a brush will make it streaky and blotchy so I only use my fingers to apply this. I work pretty long hours at a busy restaurant and this has been the only foundation that's able to keep my skin matte and not shiny even in my T zone area. This doesnt come with a pump but you can always buy it for 10 bucks on their website or at sephora. The price is definitely pricey for a foundation but I think it's either you love it or hate it product. And so far, I love it!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/28/2013 9:32:00 PM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

I just returned two foundations to Sephora due to not enough coverage/not perfect color match, so I kind of feel like I have to keep this because I feel bad if I return everything I buy from them! Unfortunately, this product is so bad it makes me appreciate the ones I returned!

Cons:
1. Price.
2. Packaging. Really, it costs so much money, doesn't perform that well, and you have to order a pump from NARS?
3. The finish. It's the most blotchy thing I've ever worked with! You're better off with L'Oreal or Neutrogena.
4. The color. If you're fair Mont Blanc may not work for you. It's darker than the same shade in the Glow formula.

I have tried the Sheer Glow by NARS, and that's actually a good foundation. I recommend that over the Sheer Matte no matter your skin type. Mine's normal/combination; I was thinking the Sheer Matte would be better for me now due to the season and the fact I love the matte look. Wrong!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/28/2013 6:04:00 PM More reviews by kristinmarie11

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Disappointing foundation. This product found any dry patch of skin and pore and put them on display for all to see. At first I thought I needed to exfoliate better and/or use a primer, but no- same thing happened with using a primer. I usually use Mac Studio Fix (NC25), Laura Mercier TM (bisque) or Jane Iredale mineral foundation (Warm Silk) and decided I wanted to try a liquid foundation for a better coverage. The MUA matched me at the counter to Deauville- a decent match to my skin, but I was disappointed with the overall finish of the foundation which made my skin seem dull and noticeably covered with makeup. It did, however, seem to keep my oil production at bay for a little while. It irks me that you have to purchase the pump separately for this (which I did). I had high hopes for this as I love Nars blushes and lipsticks, but will not purchase again.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/19/2013 7:28:00 PM More reviews by katieeholliday

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Not great. I bought this in siberia for my extremely pale yellow skin, and the colour was amazing but the consistency not so much. I know it's sheer, but it came out streaky and just wouldnt sit right on my skin, if i touched my face it would come off immediately. plus the bottle was a pain to use, unless you bought a pump for an extra £30.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2013 12:10:00 PM More reviews by jakaescoo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This has become may favorite daytime/work cover up. It hides any discolorations or imperfections beautifully. I used to wear Macs studio fix fluid but over time it left my skin dull, and clogged. After wearing this Nars sheer matte for one week my skin felt soft, looked radiant after taking it off and my skin cleared up. What's really great about the foundation is it makes you flawless without masking your face, and its build-able for the evening. Only con is since my t-zone is super oily it tends to wear off after 6 hours. Highly recommend for the flawless natural look.