September 17, 2014 | 1769 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Matte

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 4/10/2013 1:10:00 AM More reviews by eelkennaid226

This is product is ok. It feels very light weight. However, it did not help with my very oily T-zone. It's not long wearing too, by midday I feel like most of my foundation is gone. I think it's not worth the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2013 1:39:00 PM More reviews by Naturalista76

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So I've been through the gambit of foundations--Clinque, MAC, Bare Minerals, etc. and I absolutely love this product. I pump a little onto my non-dominant clean hand (back of). I apply it with the number 190 MAC brush. A little goes a long way. I have a difficult time finding the right color match so I blend it with the Laguna illuminator and its perfect.

Pros: no breakouts, sheer enough to not look cakey, decent coverage, non-greasy; perfect color match; easy to set with powder. Minimizes blemishes and imperfections.

Cons: expensive, not as much coverage as MAC

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2013 7:49:00 PM More reviews by lookcute14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Just a quick tip with this foundation and any liquid nars complexion products for that matter...use your fingers. nars products are designed to be apply with your finger tips. It gives a much more natural and not cakey look.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/27/2013 2:17:00 PM More reviews by mgw717

meh- not worth the money. maybe for those with relatively flawless skin, but not for me. i have oily skin, and this did nothing for it. it didn't break me out or anything, it just didn't work as well as i would expect for the price tag

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2013 9:59:00 AM More reviews by xtinahb

This was my wedding foundation on a humid, August sunny afternoon in New York. It is a great formula for my combination dry complexion. Long wearing, truly matte (but not flat), with solid medium to full coverage leaving my skin even and finished and can be built up as needed. It is exactly what I want for the office and for power-wear from day to night. I also own Sheer Glow and much prefer the Matte formula due to better longevity. On my light tan neutral Asian NC30/C4 complexion, I use Stromboli.If you have a similar skin type (combo dry) and are looking for a polished, medium finish with long wear, def try a sample of this stuff!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/10/2013 2:10:00 PM More reviews by veroespinosa88

This is the worse foundation I have ever tried!! I have normal skin but in summer it get a bit oilier. This foundation looked aweful!!!!! It showed my dry patches like nothing else! I mean I dont have that many dry patches in my face and they are rare! It looked cakey on me and it didnt matter if i applied a lit of moisturizer and exfoliated and applied primer it still looked patchy and moved around. Honestly the only way I managed to wear this is to use it on top of the Garnier BB cream which makes me super oily so they sorta balanced each other out. But I didnt pay so much money to have to put so much effort into making it work! The packaging is nice but it needs a pump otherwise it gets really messy.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/19/2013 2:55:00 PM More reviews by kpxgenie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Used a sample of this for 3 days, 8-10 hrs each day, using a different moisturizer each day.

Texture/Consistency: Almost like a gel-liquid type foundation once you pour it out. A little thick, definitely creamy. I have normal-dry skin. Yes, I know...why did I use a matte foundation when I have dry skin? Hey, I wanted to try it out. No matter what type of moisturizer I used underneath, I found this foundation very difficult to blend smoothly. It took a lot of patting with fingers or patting with a foundation brush (both regular and stipple) to get it to blend away the patches of product clinging to my skin. Although I have dry skin, I do NOT flake anywhere...at least I THOUGHT I didnt flake anywhere. However, once I applied this, the foundation stuck to the tip & side of my nose, and suddenly I looked like I was peeling. I had to scrub it away with some water before leaving the house. The non-dry parts of my face (forehead and chin) did not flake, but it was still hard to blend than other foundations. There was no caking after applying up to 2 layers.

Color: I used Ceylan & Deauville (I use Ceylan and/or Fiji in Sheer Glow). For some reason, the shades in the Sheer Matte seem darker than Sheer Glow. Shade works for me. I'm asian, nc25, yellow undertones.

Coverage: Medium. I did not use any concealer with this to test. Initially, 2 layers covered up some old acne spots I have so it was not too noticeable, but did not totally make them disappear.

Staying Power: Lasted all day. I noticed my forehead got a bit oilier than usual after 5 hours, which is unusual for me. This happened all 3 days I used this. I didn't experience any fading of coverage, but I did touch up with my MAC MSFN after 5 hours when I started getting a bit oily.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2013 2:13:00 PM More reviews by Hermanspottypants

I have combination skin and I have a really physical indoors job. My biggest facial skin bane in life is shine control for my T zone. (OK I love it when mum reassures me that facial oil protects me from early wrinkles).

This is the only foundation that has made it through 8 hours where I didn't have to apply a shine absorbing product. Thats like a miracle.... BUT I warn you I have made sacrifices in order to keep using this product.

CONS
1. this foundation is just snooty. It does not get chummy with all of my day creams- it will ball up with some. So I highly recommend you get a sample and try it over your usual moisturisers, primers and spf products otherwise, like me you may have to change some of those. No-one wants ball clumps hanging off your face or dirtying your sink.

2. the packaging totally sucks. The pump is not sold here in Ireland and the SA said it was because they keep getting blocked. This product is thick like a Mac Donalds Mac Fluffy dessert. When you shake that tiny bottle each morning, you will fear that it will fly out of your mitt and smash the mirror and then boomerang back to hit your own eye ball. Consider it an achievement every time this doesn't happen. And you cannot be sure your shaking has had any effect on the product. It is like a nail varnish without those little rattly balls that let you know your shaking is of use.

3. Even after shaking it is hard to get out of the bottle and you are at serious risk of bruising yourself. So people who bruise easily should stay away from this or use the pump which will block up. I have to get up 5 minutes earlier so I have time to get the foundation out of the bottle.

4. Its unforgiving- if you have any dry patches of scaley skin eg annoying dry skin around nostrils like after a cold. This foundation makes those patches look like lizard scales. so watch out unless you want to look reptilian.

5. It has a smell initially like preserved dead bodies, but this goes away once it dries on your face.

PROS
1. OMG shine control!!!!! HG all the way for shine control. Its amazing and the main reason I endure all the CONS.
2. The colour match was perfect for me - so natural looking and slightly radiant wow. I use stromboli.
3. Build up-able- my bright pink cheeks are hidden- no need for concealer so I can wear coral and peach shades. yayy.

I hope this helps!!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2013 10:44:00 PM More reviews by silvermouse

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I really enjoyed this foundation. The Sheer Matte finish is perfect for those with combo/oily skin (or even oily skin) who want a lighter coverage foundation. I have this in Barcelona (I'll go into my colour matches below). The lack of a pump is annoying but I can live with it. I gently pour a bit out onto the back of my hand, dab it in strategic places (focussing on the areas where I have larger pores) then blend it all in with a damp beauty blender for an absolutely flawless (but not to heavy) finish. Fingers also work really well. I find that this lasts all day and I don't have to touch up with powder which is something of a minor miracle for me! Overall, I'd definitely repurchase. I got this on the Sephora website for $45 and had it shipped with a few other products - overall, it was worth it because it costs AU$68 and is only available at a few stores (Mecca Cosmetica, that's pretty much it)

I have tried so many different foundations and here's how this compares, in case anyone has these other formulas/colours
Chanel Vitalumiere aqua B60 - same sheer coverage, a bit dewier, requires touch up during the day. This is a bit ashy for me
Chanel Perfection Lumiere B60 - love this almost as much as the Sheer Matte. Perfect colour match, long wearing, not too carry but a bit heavier coverage than the NARS
Laura Mercier mineral powder SPF in classic beige - lovely light coverage, good colour match, however I get oily after a few hours and require powder
MAC Matchmaster in 5 - great colour match. Medium coverage, a little heavier than the NARS and Perfection Lumiere. Long lasting, get a bit oily on warmer days
MAC Pro-Longwear in NC42 - reasonable colour match. Waaaay to heavy coverage for me. Does last and last though
MAC face and body C4 - too pale, I think I need a shade darker. Dewy, light finish but I get oily quickly and it doesn't last.
Revlon Colourstay for opcombo/oily skin - got this ages ago in one of the darker Tan shades (darkest they had on the Australian market). Quite long lasting but very heavy coverage
Rommel Lasting Finish in 400 Natural Beige - a tiny bit dark but the shade below is a bit pale. Quite nice - medium coverage, long lasting. Maybe need a touch up at the end of the day

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2013 12:56:00 AM More reviews by SnappyLeeLee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Love this foundation. Isn't on the heavy side and didn't wear down (as I expected) throughout the day. It did give me a little shine in the end but was an easy remedy with my E.L.F Shine Erase wipes.
If you are going for heavy coverage I don't recommend. Light to medium for sure. Fingers are best way to apply it as well.