NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

on 5/20/2015 7:04:00 AM

I'm conflicted about Nars Sheer Glow.

In terms of shade, it's hands down got the best colour for pale skin I've ever come across, nothing matches my skin quite as well as Siberia.It also has pretty good coverage.

I'm on my 3rd bottle of Nars Sheer Glow and I think I might switch foundation finally. For me the negatives are:

- It can cake quite easily around creases and especially in between my eyebrows for some reason

- I'm not convinced it has very long lasting power

- The packaging is pretty awful, it doesn't come with a dispenser and if you buy one you can't put the lid on. Only because I have multiple bottles am I able to effectively switch between from the dispenser to the lid f I am taking my foundation with me (long day, travel etc).

on 5/19/2015 10:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Seriously don't waste your time. This stuff sucks! I have tried this twice now, I got it for Christmas 2 years ago as a gift and I was so excited to try it! Turned out to be awful, stuck to my dry patches, looked cakey, creased around my mouth, didn't last long at all. A few months ago my MUA friend raved about it on her blog and I thought what the heck, why not try it again? It's been over a year, let's give it another go! Well, huge mistake. I wasted money and my time. Nothing has changed. My skin is normal/sensitive so not overly oily or dry. This foundation should have worked for me!! First off, right when I applied it, it looked extremely greasy. Then I applied a little bit of my Bare minerals powder on top thinking it would bring down the shine, which it did. However an hour, I repeat, an HOUR later when I looked in my car mirror the foundation was "breaking apart" all over my face around my mouth and chin! I was already running late to my meeting but I knew I couldn't walk into the building with my skin looking disgusting and all flakey. Thank goodness I had makeup wipes in my car, I just ended up wiping it all off. Since that day I have tried it on 2 other occasions. Same disappointment. Nars is supposed to be the best of the best but I am not impressed at all...

on 5/18/2015 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

oh dear! so disappointed in this fdn... sadly i have only bad things to say about this.... i had really high hopes for this but here is my review.... FYI I have dry skin not scars or anything like that

1. Pricey (£30ish)
2. Clings to my dry patches like you would not believe makes me look like i have never used a moisturizer in all my life!
3. Bottle is heavy with no pump - which is rubbish seen as you pay a fair amount for it
4. Coverage is cakey (no matter how you apply , sponge/brush)
5. Doesn't last very long on the skin
6. there is no sheer glow!

Sorry guys dont bother with this even if you only have a little dryness ... still on the hunt for the best fdn for dry skin

on 5/17/2015 9:33:00 PM

Down to my 4th bottle of this foundation. The coverage is great! It's medium buildable and doesn't look cakey. It always makes my skin like flawless, the only downfall is that it creases a little. I wish it had an SPF too so I wouldn't have to apply some sunscreen underneath. I've stuck to this foundation for so long, but with the hot Aussie sun out in Australia I really need a foundation with SPF, so I might have to switch soon.

on 5/17/2015 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

NARS Sheer Glow was hands down the best foundation I've ever worn.

"Was" is the key word and it kills me to write that.

For neutral-to-yellow undertoned girls, NARS is killing it in offerings and is pretty extensive for pale folk to POCs. It's yellow without being orange and looks like actual skin colors. It is a comfortable foundation with medium coverage right out the get go (why it calls itself "sheer," I'll never know), but it gives luminosity without greasiness, and that is such a hard tightline to walk. It also doesn't contain SPF, which is great for photography.

So, why three stars? There's several reasons.

1. This foundation doesn't come with a pump, as you probably already know. For anything over $25, I expect you are going to put a pump on it or some kind of way to avoid allowing bacteria in and make it easy to dispense without having to potentially lose extra product. The pump through NARS is about an additional $6 USD, which brings the total up to $48 USD for the entire thing.

2. This foundation broke me out, badly. I didn't want to believe it, but this foundation gave me the worst and most painful break-outs I've ever had. I experimented with my skincare regime, different products, but it always came back to one constant thing: any time I would wear this foundation more than two days in a row, I'd always have a constellation of zits along my chin and eventually cheeks if I continued. After not wearing this product, my break-outs stopped and eventually went away. Sigh.

3. For someone with dry skin like myself, it can veer on the side of drying. During spring/summer/fall, it's not a big deal, but this product does require extra moisturization in the winter.

So, as much as I loved this foundation, it's clearly not for me, but hopefully it does work for you!

Pros:

- Luminous without being greasy
- No SPF (great for photography; also most foundations don't include enough SPF to offer coverage anyways)
- Wide variety of shades available
- Great for neutral-to-yellow undertones without looking orange
- Medium coverage but doesn't feel heavy
- NARS does not do animal testing nor do any of their suppliers do it on their behalf (per http://www.narscosmetics.com/USA/customer-care.html#animaltesting)

Cons:

- Not good for sensitive skin
- Not sheer (for me, this is a good thing, but the name is misleading for those looking for lower coverage)
- Have to buy pump separately for an additional $6
- Can be drying
- Pink undertoned ladies may struggle to find options

on 5/17/2015 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Why do they call this stuff "Sheer" glow? The coverage is not sheer, when you apply this with a foundation brush even one light coat gives decent coverage, and it lasts very well too. The shade "siberia" is so beautiful and flattering, really porcelain-y. The best part is that it's non-comedogenic so in my time of using it my skin has actually cleared up a lot. HG status.

on 5/16/2015 10:26:00 PM

I really don't like this product. It made my face look like a cake

on 5/16/2015 2:34:00 AM

I do like the finish of this foundation , but all the shades pull yellow really bad. The lighting at sephora was much more flattering, but when i got home under truer lighting I looked like I had jaundice! Unfortntly, it seemed most their shades were geared a little more towards the yellowy tones. But besides that, really nice fresh glowy finish.

on 5/14/2015 3:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Finally a foundation that matches my skin tone!!!! i've tried a lot of asian brands and they are too light or yellow for me, I've tried a lot of drugstore (western brands) and they are too pink or orange. The Sheer Glow is perfect. It's buildable as well so i usually apply a thin layer at the start to even out my skin tone, then go on a second layer on my acne or scars to make the coverage a little higher. It is quite long lasting, I can still find most of the product on my face after an 8 hour shift without any touch ups. the only problem is the packaging, why do i need to buy a pump separately?! and even if the counter lady says i can reuse the pump, how do i clean it before i use in another bottle so the old product won't contaminate the new?? silly silly design.
WIll i repurchase? not sure. It take a long time to go through one foundation bottle (or sometimes you never finish one bottle) and when i do finish it something better might be invented by then, who knows?

on 5/13/2015 11:27:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I had this in Mont blanc, which is a very fair shade.

I have heard loads of warnings about it breaking people out, but on my dry skin that didn't happen at all. Instead, it seemed like an improvement to the foundation I was using before.

Although its called sheer glow, it is neither sheer nor particularly glowing. It gives a very heavy coverage, and manages to look rather skin like in a matte way. A little goes a long way, so a bottle lasts me a long time.

Its lasting power is great on my skin, it always seem to look as good when I get home after 8-9 hours in school. However, it requires a good cleanser to remove properly.

The only things I think it fails on is the lack of sun screen and the packaging. There is no reason why you should need to pay for a separate pump at this price. Apart from that, I can overlook it and use separate sun screen.