NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

I adore this product! I can put this on early morning and later in the day is still looks absolutely gorgeous! Blends beautifully and doesn't sink into fine lines or pores. The downside is there is no pump (purchase separately) and the price ($59 AUD) however since this is amazing I'll happily pay that price!

on 3/28/2015 12:05:00 PM

This fdn was quite a disappointment to me. My biggest problem is that it emphasized dryness on my cheeks and made my T-zone very oily. Especially if I used it with a brush. It was specifically for this fdn that I bought a beauty blender type of sponge and it makes it slightly better but still not satisfactory. It's got good color range, that's good. And if you don't look too close it does "beautify" my skin and gives a subtle glow. I mix it with moisturizer and my YSL le teint touche eclat fdn, as that one is too dark for me and the NARS is too light and it's kind of ok that way. But once I buy a lighter shade of the YSL to mix it with the darker I'm not even gonna look at the NARS anymore. Which is sad, given how much I paid for it. I don't know what kind of skin you need to have for it to wok for you. The YSL is now my HG, even though it makes my T-zone shiny (I just blot) but it makes my skin sooooo beautiful.

on 3/27/2015 4:52:00 AM

I was so exited to try this product after reading all the good reviews.
first thing first, i don't like the fact that you have to buy a pump separate.

My skin is mostly dry, not too bad. I do get a little oily on my forehead at the end of the day.
On to how the foundation works on my skin. The finish is not glowy at all, I would say it's more of a satin finish. You can clearly see my dryer patches and tell that I have makeup on. I usually prefer foundations that gives me a glow whiteout looking oily. After a few hours of wearing my forehead is a bit shiny but nothing that bothers me. It does not give you a lot of coverage. Maybe a light to medium. And it does not cover the few spots I have.

So this foundation is not my favorite. This product isn't bad but not what i was hoping for. If you have good skin and want a quite matte finish this is for you.
Nothing spectacular. Just as a usual drugstore foundation.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've been using this foundation for over a year now and have enjoyed using it. My skin is normal-dry (but not extremely dry), no pores, occasional/hormonal cystic under the skin spots.

First bought Santa Fe which was just a touch too dark for my NC25 skin so it wasn't really a success. It also used to oxidise like crazy on me and leave weird marks all over my face. I really miss the colour though as it added some warmth and life to my face, and I could have made it work a bit more if I applied a light fake tan to my body. That bottle lasted me well over 8 months which is pretty impressive using pretty much everyday.

I decided to repurchase in Mont Blanc. Let me just take a moment to say how fricken hard it is to get a hold of that colour!! Multiple visits to the Nars counter only to be told that it was short in the warehouse, or that the order came two days ago and someone had bought the one bottle that came..! I finally got one though. Mont Blanc is a perfect match, but of course makes me look a bit more dead and pale so a lot of blusher and bronzer is required to warm me up. Mont Blanc may be the only foundation that stays a true pale-yellow colour - no pinkness but no horrid orange oxidation either!

The foundation itself is such a lovely formula. It honestly looks just like skin and gives a nice but veryyy subtle glow. (emphasis on very - no shine or stickiness here!) I usually dab some on and then use a buffing brush to spread around my face. Its quite easy to blend and has a creamy consistency. I find that if you use your fingers it doesn't blend as well and doesn't give as much coverage - you end up using more product too! I have to be really careful to blend around my jawline and take extra care to ensure I get product there as it is so easy for this to give me the dreaded "line".

The coverage is definitely medium-light. Its a strange formula, if you use your fingers to apply under the eyes, it manages to really brighten the area like a concealer would! But on my face I always find that my scarring from previous spots shows up under this and its a real pain to try and go in again to cover with another concealer or another layer. I find that the product does not build up well at all as the coverage simply isn't good enough and the second layer seems to displace the first. Concealers tend to do the same. I've had many nightmares where I simply cannot for the life of me cover certain areas or spots... therefore this is definitely for not when you are broken out or suffering from bad skin. Beautiful finish if you have good skin to begin with though!

At first I was worried that this is what was breaking me out, but my skin has cleared up dramatically since then, and I'm still using it. So this is not the culprit.

Longevity: holds up really well, its still on my face now and I've been wearing it for 13 hours. Many need to touch up under my eyes though to freshen myself up a bit. It does come off a small amount on my glasses but not nearly as much as other foundations. The real test is how much makeup is on my mask (I work in healthcare so have to wear one every day). Hardly any comes of on it and my make up is still intact when I take it off. So it gets a thumbs up from me.

All in all its a brilliant foundation and have gotten so used to it now. But honestly, I think I will try a higher coverage foundation next time as it is really stressful when you can't get everything you want covered and you're in a rush in the morning! I don't have completely great skin to pull this off just yet.

on 3/23/2015 12:12:00 AM

This is my current foundation and possibly one of my favourite foundations. It's a little cheaper than my favourite giorgio armani luminous silk with a very similar coverage and look. It leaves quite a matte medium coverage finish when you first apply it but gives a beautiful glow. I would say it is better for oily/combi skins as I think drier girls would find this a little too matte. It blends really easily into my skin when I apply it with my real techniques buffing brush and leaves a really flawless finish. It lasts all day on me.

on 3/22/2015 9:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I got matched to this product in Fiji by a Nars salesperson at Sephora. I told him I though it was too yellow and he was like ''noooo, that's fine'', try it! I asked for a sample of it first to be sure and ta-da, it was too yellow. I'm fair with pink undertones and red cheeks, and Fidji is really yellow on me. MUFE HD in 115 is a perfect match for me, and this is far from it.

Even if it was a good match, it's not a foundation that I like, It's too sheer for me and also kind of hard to set. I will not purchase this product.

on 3/20/2015 8:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

OK so first impressions are WOW!

I have been using Estee Lauder Double Wear for the past short while, just trying to find a good foundation that covers my acne and also matches my skin well. Double wear is very good, but in retrospect, it is very thick and mask like when compared to Sheer Glow. Estee Lauder also test on animals, which is pathetic and sad. NARS don't test on animals, and are in fact vegan. Just nice to know if you're an animal lover!

So I got a sample of Sheer Glow from Mecca in Sydney, Australia. I was honestly not really expecting much for some reason. I suppose I just thought it would be too sheer for me. But I was surprised! It covers my acne and scars just as well as Double Wear does, but it doesn't have that thick mask like feeling. I honestly can't feel that it is there. Also, it spreads so easily. I only took a dab on one finger, and it easily covered my whole cheek, including very red marks.

The shades available are also very good, and the one I have from the sample matches my skin well (Mont Blanc - Light 2). I may even buy the palest shade though (Siberia - Light 1), because I think that will also be a good match and I quite like having neutral undertones, as I also powder.

Now, I have only been wearing this foundation today, so I do realise I might be jumping the gun, but I have a good feeling about this foundation. It feels really light on, and I just feel like my skin is breathing whilst still having great coverage. It feels too good to be true, so I am knocking on wood right now hoping that it doesn't let me down.

I will continue to use the sample and just hope it doesn't cause me to breakout. Having sensitive, oily, acnegenic skin is very frustrating when trying to find a foundation. You never know what's around the corner. I thought double wear was probably going to be my HG foundation, but am certainly glad I tried this sample! Fingers and toes crossed for NARS to agree with my skin.

Will update this review in 3-7 days.

UPDATE: I used this for about 2 weeks or so, until my sample ran out. I am sad to report, this definitely broke me out. I went back to the store to get samples of other things, and the lady said that a lot of oily / acne prone skin types do break out from Sheer Glow, sadly.

The crusade for the Holy Grail foundation continues...

on 3/16/2015 2:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was so exited to try this foundation after hearing so many great things about it, so i decided to splurge on it. This foundation is not "glowy" att all, more like a satin finish. The collor is too yellow for my pink undertone, and it didn't cover any off my readness ore any imporfections really. This is just like an OK drugstore foundation.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Is it good? Yeah.
Is it life changing? I wouldn't say so.

For reference:
- MAC NC35
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Tawny
- I am the shade Punjab in this.

There's a lot about this foundation online, so my expectations were pretty high. The general public says it's moisturizing and good for dry skin, but I would say it's just alright for dry skin-- not super great and not horrible. To be honest, I think I might be able to get away with this in the summer when my sahara desert skin is producing some sort of moisture.

For starters: it clings. UGH. I can't say I'm not used to this. Dry skinned ladies are; we just hope that it won't every time we put something on. It's better with the beauty blender, but it still does. Granted, I'm super dry around my mouth right now. I don't think it dries me out, but I don't find it particularly hydrating either.

The finish is beautiful. I have to agree with the big shoot beauty bloggers: it makes me look like I'm glowing. It's almost like an illumination that I can't quite describe, but I just don't get the same look with my other foundations. It's satin and feels like skin.

This doesn't wear too well on me throughout the day, but then again, I don't really find that anything does. This is kind of weird due to most people with foundation not wearing well problems are oily, but hey, my skin does what my skin does.

It's also pretty high up there on the price spectrum. It isn't YSL or Armani per to say, but $45 USD a bottle is a little much. It's even more when you realize it doesn't come with a pump and you have to buy one for $6 if you're clumsy like I am. Also, it is a common complaint, but you can't take this baby anywhere if you have a pump on it. THE CAP WON'T GO ON IF YOU HAVE THE PUMP ON. You've been warned.

Despite all the problems, god the glow is gorgeous. I'm hoping that I can find something that mimics it. Also, if you're going to buy this, remember to shake before you pour/pump!

Edit: Apparently, I was still experiencing the aftermath of a pretty bad allergic reaction when I wrote this review. That, or I hadn't established a good enough skin care routine yet. All of the problems I've stated perviously still stand, but I find that most of them are at a lower rate now. I don't find that sheer glow clings as much if I apply a generous amount of both moisturizer and moisturizing primer. Some say that this is too much for them to make a foundation work, but as stated above, I really love the glow.

on 3/13/2015 3:49:00 PM

This is a great foundation. Great coverage even though the name says sheer, it is not. Gives a nice soft finish, not shiny or sticky. Very blendable too and no breakouts!!