Jane Iredale Amazing Base Loose Finishing Powder

3.8

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 14%, Zinc Oxide 6%. Ingredients: Mica, Boron Nitride, Zinc Stearate, Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Plankton Extract, Algae Extract, Pomegranate Extract. May Contain: Iron Oxides, Ultramarines, Chromium Oxide Greens.

on 8/25/2009 11:36:00 PM

I adore this product. I have sensitive, acne-prone skin with eczema and this does not irritate it at all, even when i use it ontop of the area of my face that has flared up. It gives a beatiful coverage and finish even when using small amounts. The jar is pretty large too so the foundation will last me for quite some time. What i love about this is that you can add more and more product if needed without looking all... powdery (just give it 15 minutes to set). I will repurches when i run out

I am so angry! I paid an arm and a leg for the amazing base and powder brush and then I find out that it has algae extract in it, which is an acne causing ingredient. No wonder I have these little bumps on my face that won't go away! I can positively say that nothing else I am using could possibly be causing these little bumps. I thought it was just my skin being stubborn, but I am happy to say I figured out that it was this stupid powder.

The sales lady convinced me that this was all natural, which was a lie because there is dimethicone it, and that it was a great product. LIES! The dimethicone I am okay with because it does not make me break out, but I can't believe there is algae extract in here.

If you don't have sensitive skin, then feel free to use it as it is a decent foundation powder and has SPF 20, but if you have sensitive, acneic skin, AVOID this like the dickens!

*UPDATE* Skin cleared up after only two days of not using this.

on 8/7/2009 1:25:00 PM

I have been using this for over 2 weeks now and I am very impressed. I think 'light beige' is the best color match i have ever found in a foundation. I found if use my mac skunk brush i get the best application. I used a cheaper kabuki brush and it didn't spread as evenly. No breakouts. Does not accentuate lines, seems to make them less visible, if you can believe it. I don't think it would work well for really dry skin, mine is combo and in the dry spots it can show flakies but not as bad as other products i've tried. Foundations I've stuck with for longer periods of time and now moved on from: Stila Illuminating; MUFE Velvet Matte; MUFE F&B; Shiseido the Powdery. My skin is combo sensitive, prone to breakout. I have issues with hyperpigmentation, red acne scars, wrinkles around eyes and mouth. This foundation gives me natural looking coverage. I use Shiseido color control stick, MUFE full cover concealer, and clinique pore minimizer underneath and this seems to be a good combo at the moment. It has no cakiness, and it makes me look like i have naturally nice skin, which I don't. I will definitely repurchase. UPDATE: as it turns out it turns orange on me. can't use it after all!

on 7/15/2009 1:35:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Love Amazing Base! I am on my fourth jar of the loose powder and I will buy another when this is gone (It does last a very long time, so the relatively high price is actually a real bargain in the long run.) I wear Radiant and it is a perfect match for my skin. I am well over 50 and I get compliments all the time on my beautiful skin--Thanks, Jane Iredale! I also love the blush and the concealer.

I am adding to my review, because I have read several negative reviews that state that the product does not apply well, etc. While everyone is different, I have found that Amazing Base goes on so much better on clean, moisturized skin. That is how they showed me at the dermatologist's office, and it works. I put on my moisturizer (Cerave Face Lotion), let it soak in while I brush my teeth and dry my hair, then I add my lifting and firming cream and my Amazing Base. Works for me!

on 7/6/2009 5:22:00 PM

For a mineral base makeup this is my favorite so far. It doesn't cause me to breakout or have a cakey look like others I've tried.

on 6/14/2009 3:33:00 PM

You must try the color on first, but this stuff is amazing. Lasts all day, covers full but looks like wearing nothing. I wear a very dark color, but my skin isnt dark, THIS IS MY HG - have tried everything, this is the one!

on 6/9/2009 2:21:00 PM

I really wanted to like this after all of these great reviews. This does look very, very natural but the coverage is very light! I need something with a little heavier coverage. I tried building it to more coverage but it did not work. This also made my face a bit itchy. I found it very difficult to chose the right shade according to the online colors. No rhyme or reason to how they are listed. Could be good for someone looking for very little coverage.

on 6/3/2009 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Firstly, the beautician matched me in a Bisque, which is about 4 shades lighter than my neck colour! So you could expect me to look pasty white ...

Think again! Although this colour is so much lighter than my skin colour, it looks really natural and lasts all day! Application is super easy and quick (I now prefer pressed as to loose mineral powders). The best thing is that people can't tell I'm wearing make up (I have to put powder on my neck too due to the colour miss match)

Even though I'm super upset with the wrong colour, after 2 hours the powder oxides and goes to my neck colour! Which I'm very happy about!

I'm going to finish off this wrong colour, and try buying somewhere other than the salon I went to, so I can get the right colour this time!

Bad side is that it'l super expensive! But it does lasts for ages and is super pigmented so you'll only need a couple of quick squirls for your entire face :D

At first I really like these minerals - I have tried them all. The gold compact for the Pressed Base is really nice. I liked the Pressed Base much better but overall I would not buy this line again. After an hour or so sometimes sooner, I developed alot of oil and shine in T-Zone. I have normal/dry skin and have never had this happen to me before no matter what foundation I tried. I saw on the other reviews that these product contain Aloe or Alge ...... which produces alot of moisture hence the oil build up. Then I started to break out in tiny pimples. This has been a talked about line but does contain Bismith. I heard that the newer upgrade does not. Who knows but after I stopped using it - it took me awhile to clear things up and get my skin back to normal.

I wish I knew why I ever strayed from Jane Iredale. It is the first mineral foundation I ever tried and now, years later, it is the only one that gives me the coverage, finish and color match I want. I will never stray again (even though it is expensive).

I've tried BE, Aromaleigh and Everyday Minerals and they just don't compare. I tried a huge range of color samples in Aromaleigh's two formulas and I couldn't manage a decent color match, nor did any of them give as much coverage as I like. I finally started layering the minerals over cream or liquid foundations for full coverage.

Then I recently repurchased JI in Warm Silk and was reminded of why it's the best. I used to receive compliments on my skin all the time, but that hasn't happened in a while. I truly think the Amazing Base makes the difference. The lightest layer gives me such beautiful skin without looking masky. Brilliant.

It *does* get shiny around my nose and forehead after a time, but the color seems to stay true on me rather than oxidizing, so I don't mind powdering or blotting. It appears to be more of a glowy shine (as opposed to oily) anyway, so I can deal.

I'm wearing Warm Silk currently, which looks very golden in the pot but is quite forgiving on the skin. I'm more neutral than warm, though MAC thinks I'm NC15-20. I wear Fairly Light in BE and a blend of 1YL and 2YL in Aromaleigh. I think I might try Ivory or Light Beige next time.