November 1, 2014 | 1118 users online

Concealers - Smashbox - High Definition Concealer

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 12/13/2011 3:39:00 PM More reviews by terrenity

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

A Sephora SA talked me into buying this product for use on my dark undereye circles for my wedding. She demo'd it on me by mixing with a thick eye cream and I was pleased with the results.

However, after I got home, I discovered that my tube had separated (like many other reviewers') and I couldn't get it to fully mix even after lots of shaking. Additionally, the consistency of this concealer is extremely thin and watery. I tried mixing it with my eye cream but this made it streaky and diluted the covering power.

This concealer does give a nice smooth finish (not shiny or cakey), but the quality just isn't what I would expect for $22.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2011 8:23:00 PM More reviews by specialribbons

Ehh not too impressed with this one. I'll start with first impressions~
When I first opened my concealer, I noticed that it had separated =\ skin tone colored liquid was squishing out of the top. It was gross! I have this in medium dark, which is a bit too dark for me, but my fault for rushing at sephora.
It's not long lasting =\ I'd say it lasts about 4 hours out of the day. I always have to touch it up at school.
Coverage is pretty sheer for a concealer. It works wonderfully under my eyes, but does nothing to cover hyperpigmentation.
It DOES blend pretty well with the skin, but that's about the only positive.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/17/2011 8:32:00 PM More reviews by Olgaavt19

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Ohh my goodess how I hate this concealer.... I have never been a picky person nor have I ever had issues with creams burning my skin.....This concealer, however, burned my skin under my eyes (I was trying to conceal my under eye circles). I mean at first I thought it was something else, but after using it 3 times I woke up with CRUSTS under my eyes.....now I look like I have sun burn there. I do not have sensitive skin at all, but something in this concealer worked like light acid for me. Also it settles into the fine lines like crazy. I am only 22 and have no wrinkles, but this thing makes me look like I do. I tried using it around my nose, but it did nothing there as well. It does not even cover redness so I am guessing acne would be out of the question.Also it separates and becomes liquidy. I hate it and wish I never bought it....So yeah I think you can find a 10 times better one in Drug stores for WAY less.....Don't waste your money.

The only good thing about this product is that it has pacakaging.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/4/2011 2:59:00 AM More reviews by erika21

I bought this concealer at Sephora. I don't use this on my eye circles. I use the Estee Lauder's brush on illuminator for that.

This concealer was very watery when I first squeezed it out of the tube. After a few more squeezes, I found that it has a semi liquid-creamy consistency.

Anyway, I tried using this on a pimple that came out the other day. It was only a small red pimple but this concealer could not do a good job at concealing it. I used only a tiny amount and tapped it on the pimple to help conceal the redness. I then used the mac concealer brush (# 195) to further blend it. It looked alright at first and I simply set my face with some loose powder. Awhile later however, I found that the redness of my pimple could be seen. Worse, I found that the concealer kind of caked and settled around the pimple rather than on top of it. And mine was only a tiny pimple. Don't bother using this as a concealer if you have major acne issues.

So, this concealer cannot conceal pimples. How about normal redness then? I squeezed out a little of the concealer on my fingers and tapped rather then blended it on the small areas that requried it. Again, it looked alright at first but the coverage quickly faded away. It faded too fast to make it possible that it could have faded because of my combi skin that can be a little oily on the forehead and nose by mid day.

My verdict: This concealer is sorely disappointing for a product that claims to give high-definition coverage. Whatever decent coverage that it initially provides quickly disappears. I also find that despite it not being of an emollient creamy version of concealer, it has the tendency to cake when applied on pimples. Please try this concealer on for at least a couple of hours before you decide to purchase it. Otherwise, it could very well end up being an absolute waste of money.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2011 9:39:00 AM More reviews by manishap

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this concealer a couple of days ago and it does nothing for me. I have very dark circles and have noticed that the concealer takes ages to dry and then it just cakes up and when apply with a brush or with my finger it just streaks. Gutted i wasted my money.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/13/2011 1:22:00 AM More reviews by vancandy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Horrible concealer. It does almost nothing, and has a very high price tag. On the plus side it isn't too drying, but it's no better than any drug store concealer out there.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2011 5:30:00 PM More reviews by tomakeupchick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok so I was talked into buying this product by an SDM SA, and I almost returned it the very next day. I have extremely dark circles and originally felt this was doing nothing for me. The texture is very light and very different from my normal concealers and I think that is what first mislead me. It was while I was taking off my makeup that I realized it was doing more than I thought. So then I did a comparison and put it only on one side of my face to see if there was any kind of difference- and there was. One side of my face had horrific circles and the other had still some darkness but no where near as bad as the no concealer side. This product is so thin and sheer that you feel like you have nothing on and it looks like you have nothing on, its just you but improved. And therein lies its beauty. You can build up coverage with this by layering without looking like/feeling like you have tons of makeup on. It is very natural but it does improve the under eye circles and when layered can do a very good job of masking them.
I can see this being HG for many many people.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2011 4:58:00 PM More reviews by az1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Im a NC 35 and medium looks very natural on me, I always like seeing my makeup in photos and you cannot even tell I have any undereye concealer on. I love Smashbox cosmetics. Suprised that they aren't as popular as MAC. Use their whole line, foundation and other concealer also.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/17/2011 2:00:00 PM More reviews by lsmiles13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Not a fan of this. It seemed watery to me and didn't cover very well.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2011 4:02:00 AM More reviews by mneiai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I'm NC15 and use Fair/Light in this. I think it's a really good match. I mostly use this for my undereyes (which are a medium reddish-purple), but also the sides of my nose and mouth (I have genetic discoloration there) and for acne/acne scars.

It goes on easily and is very easy to blend with a finger or brush. It holds up fairly well (generally as long as my foundation) and doesn't crease overmuch on my oily skin. I have a very hard time finding concealers I like and generally am forced to use two or three different ones for different areas of my face, so I was glad to find that one. It was rec'd to me by a manager at Ulta, of all places.

Since this I have tried the Smashbox waterproof concealer (horrible, though it is waterproof), Urban Decay's 24/7 Concealer (I can't even begin to say how much of a waste of money this was, even getting it on sale), and Hard Candy's Glamoflauge (which is probably great for non-oily people, but didn't last on me). I feel like this one, while not HG, is definitely going to be my go-to concealer for a very long time.

(PS: If you have problems with separation that shaking doesn't fix, just pop it into the fridge for fifteen or so minutes, then shake it a bit, for me this generally works for both this and TFSI)

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No