July 24, 2014 | 1107 users online

Concealers - Smashbox - High Definition Concealer

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 10/4/2011 2:59:00 AM More reviews by erika21

I bought this concealer at Sephora. I don't use this on my eye circles. I use the Estee Lauder's brush on illuminator for that.

This concealer was very watery when I first squeezed it out of the tube. After a few more squeezes, I found that it has a semi liquid-creamy consistency.

Anyway, I tried using this on a pimple that came out the other day. It was only a small red pimple but this concealer could not do a good job at concealing it. I used only a tiny amount and tapped it on the pimple to help conceal the redness. I then used the mac concealer brush (# 195) to further blend it. It looked alright at first and I simply set my face with some loose powder. Awhile later however, I found that the redness of my pimple could be seen. Worse, I found that the concealer kind of caked and settled around the pimple rather than on top of it. And mine was only a tiny pimple. Don't bother using this as a concealer if you have major acne issues.

So, this concealer cannot conceal pimples. How about normal redness then? I squeezed out a little of the concealer on my fingers and tapped rather then blended it on the small areas that requried it. Again, it looked alright at first but the coverage quickly faded away. It faded too fast to make it possible that it could have faded because of my combi skin that can be a little oily on the forehead and nose by mid day.

My verdict: This concealer is sorely disappointing for a product that claims to give high-definition coverage. Whatever decent coverage that it initially provides quickly disappears. I also find that despite it not being of an emollient creamy version of concealer, it has the tendency to cake when applied on pimples. Please try this concealer on for at least a couple of hours before you decide to purchase it. Otherwise, it could very well end up being an absolute waste of money.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2011 9:39:00 AM More reviews by manishap

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this concealer a couple of days ago and it does nothing for me. I have very dark circles and have noticed that the concealer takes ages to dry and then it just cakes up and when apply with a brush or with my finger it just streaks. Gutted i wasted my money.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/13/2011 1:22:00 AM More reviews by vancandy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Horrible concealer. It does almost nothing, and has a very high price tag. On the plus side it isn't too drying, but it's no better than any drug store concealer out there.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2011 5:30:00 PM More reviews by tomakeupchick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok so I was talked into buying this product by an SDM SA, and I almost returned it the very next day. I have extremely dark circles and originally felt this was doing nothing for me. The texture is very light and very different from my normal concealers and I think that is what first mislead me. It was while I was taking off my makeup that I realized it was doing more than I thought. So then I did a comparison and put it only on one side of my face to see if there was any kind of difference- and there was. One side of my face had horrific circles and the other had still some darkness but no where near as bad as the no concealer side. This product is so thin and sheer that you feel like you have nothing on and it looks like you have nothing on, its just you but improved. And therein lies its beauty. You can build up coverage with this by layering without looking like/feeling like you have tons of makeup on. It is very natural but it does improve the under eye circles and when layered can do a very good job of masking them.
I can see this being HG for many many people.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2011 4:58:00 PM More reviews by az1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Im a NC 35 and medium looks very natural on me, I always like seeing my makeup in photos and you cannot even tell I have any undereye concealer on. I love Smashbox cosmetics. Suprised that they aren't as popular as MAC. Use their whole line, foundation and other concealer also.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/17/2011 2:00:00 PM More reviews by lsmiles13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Not a fan of this. It seemed watery to me and didn't cover very well.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2011 4:02:00 AM More reviews by mneiai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I'm NC15 and use Fair/Light in this. I think it's a really good match. I mostly use this for my undereyes (which are a medium reddish-purple), but also the sides of my nose and mouth (I have genetic discoloration there) and for acne/acne scars.

It goes on easily and is very easy to blend with a finger or brush. It holds up fairly well (generally as long as my foundation) and doesn't crease overmuch on my oily skin. I have a very hard time finding concealers I like and generally am forced to use two or three different ones for different areas of my face, so I was glad to find that one. It was rec'd to me by a manager at Ulta, of all places.

Since this I have tried the Smashbox waterproof concealer (horrible, though it is waterproof), Urban Decay's 24/7 Concealer (I can't even begin to say how much of a waste of money this was, even getting it on sale), and Hard Candy's Glamoflauge (which is probably great for non-oily people, but didn't last on me). I feel like this one, while not HG, is definitely going to be my go-to concealer for a very long time.

(PS: If you have problems with separation that shaking doesn't fix, just pop it into the fridge for fifteen or so minutes, then shake it a bit, for me this generally works for both this and TFSI)

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2011 3:18:00 AM More reviews by satojoko

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I picked this up for $22 plus tax at my local Shoppers Drug Mart.

Yes, I agree, when I got it, I had to shake the hell out of it because it was somewhat separated. But after several good shakes and storing it tip down after every use, that problem seems to have remedied itself. I just shake it really well before each use.

I bought this in medium, and use it only under my eyes. The product has silicone in it, which makes the rest of my face break out, so only on the eyes. I first took home a sample of this to test it out. Was afraid of shelling out that much cash on it in case it was rubbish like my other Smashbox products.

I love(d) this in the eye area because it blends out very well, doesn't cake or crease, and is invisible even when I'm not wearing foundation. However, I also do not have extremely dark circles. I honestly don't think that this would be suitable for somebody with very dark coloring under the eyes. It just doesn't have enough pigmentation to it.

Yes, I *loved* it. But a while after buying this, I picked up L'Oreal's Touche Magique, which is actually far better than this product. It has more poigmentation, blends just as well, and covers a great deal. It's also half the price and has a nice brush on the end, doesn't separate and can also be used to brighten up areas of the face, making it a multi-use product.

I definitely won't be buying this product again. Not when I can get a superior concealer for half the cash which I can use for more than one thing. So far, I've been disappointed with all of the Smashbox products I have tried, except Halo. This one is no different. Smashbox is officially off my list of 'have to have' products. after this purchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2011 6:49:00 AM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I personally thought this was a horrible and way over priced concealer. It delivered little coverage and I found it prone to caking and creasing. Additionally it constantly separated in the tube, despite shaking and mixing up the contents. I have owned and loved other concealers at a fraction of the cost to this one. Sometimes higher price points don't always equal higher quality, especially in the case of concealer.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/16/2011 2:48:00 PM More reviews by betseylee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Nothing special. not worth the $30 at all. really thin kind of water like consistency. doesn't last over an hour under my eyes and it comes with barely any product for the price. only good this is that it feels moisturizing but if youre going to spend that much on a concealer at sephora go for another like kat von d's tattoo concealer.