October 24, 2014 | 1441 users online

Lipstick - Revlon - ColorStay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2011 1:12:00 AM More reviews by DecoDolly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I think I've figured out the trick. The first time I used this, I was not impressed, but when I tried it again, I got much better results.
First, do NOT put anything on your lips prior to using this. This includes lip balm! My advice would be to moisturize your lips the night before, so they are smooth and prepped.
Next, line your lips with a corresponding shade of liner, but do not fill them in with the liner. (This isn't totally necessary, but I found it helpful since there's no fixing your mistakes once you have this lipstick on).
Now wipe the excess from the doe foot applicator off onto the lid of the tube, and apply a thin layer to your lips.
After you've applied the lipstick, do NOT rub your lips together or touch them! Keep your mouth open as long as you can stand it so that the lipstick has a chance to dry completely.
Finally, do not put anything (balm, gloss, etc) over top of it.

Can it be drying? Sure. But if you truly want a long-lasting lipstick, that's the price you must pay. I've tried them all, and although I do like the comfort that the seperate top coat gives you with other long-lasting lipsticks, this stuff is still pretty darn good.

Lastly, to remove, I use a drop or two of jojoba oil on a cotton ball, and it comes right off.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2011 12:36:00 PM More reviews by mspicky

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Don't use on dry lips. You also can't use stains very well (which are drying), or matte lipsticks (which are drying). On my lips, which are not dry, I applied a thin coat. The color took a while to "set". Afterwards, it felt tacky, and the tacky feeling did not go away. Neither did the color. In 24 hours of eating, drinking, talking. It stayed like a stain. I bought it despite negative reviews because it was on sale for $2 for a pretty rose/mauve shade. I think I will continue to use it, topped with a little lipbalm to avoid the tacky feel. People, stop putting lipgloss on top. It's not meant to work with lipgloss and the lipgloss causes the color to start breaking down. I don't understand why people who use products not as intended get mad when the results aren't what was originally claimed. This is in fact a very long lasting liquid lipstick. For that, I give it 4 stars, because it does what it promises but the tacky feeling is NOT pleasant. The tube is classy and the applicator, while not terrific, is pretty ok.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2011 4:51:00 PM More reviews by tetel521

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am also very surprised with all the negative ratings. The purpose of this product is a long lasting color on the lips, it is definitely not a lipgloss. I have it in Nude and a soft pink color. The way I apply it is to first make sure my lips are exfoliated. I then apply a thin layer on my top and bottom lip making sure they do not touch, I do not press my lips together (you don't blink right away after you apply liquid eyeliner). I think this is the most important step, to make sure it dries before closing your lips. It does dry a bit tacky but the color stays on so well I think it is worth it to use this and just put a balm on top. To fix the dryness issue I apply Lush's Ultrabalm over it. I agree that it would be a great compliment/base for a lipstick or gloss in the same color.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2011 4:47:00 PM More reviews by Cfashion

I'm shocked at the bad ratings of this product. I've always been on the look out for a great lipstick that will last and not too expensive. The Colorstay Ultimate liquid lipstick is my fav to the point where I'm now on my third Revlon lipstick!

It goes on moist but then dries up really quickly, and it last forever! If you try to remove it by using water to scrub your lips it's a bad idea, it's pretty much smudge, rub, food and water proof! It glides off easily with oil-based make-up remover, just soak the lips for a few secs then wipe.

I forgot to exfoliate my lips one time and that was the only time it didn't look good, otherwise it's got my vote! x

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2011 3:46:00 PM More reviews by RaeRae2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This stuff is nasty! I have never used a lip product that dried like this one. It was so sticky I literally had to peel my lips apart and the color peeled off the top lip almost totally and stuck to the bottom lip in a double layer. I have never seen anything like it. I was able to leave it on for about 5 minutes before I had to scrub (scrub!!!) it off. The feeling on my lips was driving me nuts. It feels like sticky hard, crackly paint. Huge FAIL on this one.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/3/2011 3:52:00 PM More reviews by AndryaAndroid

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

But the tube looks so pretty....

I was very optimistic in trying this, but I should have heeded the warnings of most of the other reviews here.
The consistency is very thin. It feels wonderful and comfortable gliding on your lips, but is almost too watery-thin and that makes it difficult to get an even application, which is frustrating, because I can normally really work even a difficult product!
Once it's dried, it becomes incredibly tacky. I mean it literally feels like semi-dried paint is stuck to your lips, and it does make them kind of stick together!
And is it ever DRY! I didn't expect it to be super moisturizing or anything, but my goodness, my lips felt absolutely parched.
Adding a lip balm on top (I'm sure you could use a gloss, too) takes away most of the sticky tackiness and does soften things up, but this is getting rather high-maintenance at this point, what with the time you have to spend trying to even out the poor application, then drying time, then adding more products on top.
And the payoff, ladies, just isn't worth it. The color deposited heavily all over the rim of my tea cup over the next several hours. When I checked in the mirror, the color was still on my lips, but just an hour or two in, I got the dreaded color disappearance toward the inner, fleshy part of my lips. There was a STARK line of where the color had worn off, nothing subtle like a stain, which made it look like I was wearing lipstick only on the outer portions of my lips, with nothing in the center -- it looked absolutely ridiculous.
Definitely not worth the price, and all the fuss it takes. Pass!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2011 3:02:00 PM More reviews by VersaillesVixen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have two tubes of this stuff, and I absolutely love it! It works more like a lip stain for me. I just apply it, rub my lips together, then blot and I have perfect color for several hours! Totally drink proof too. Prized Peach is perfect for redheads! Also, sometimes I like to go over it with a little lip balm for a better feel. Even without, it's just fine though, and this stuff doesn't budge! Love the staying power!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/7/2011 12:08:00 PM More reviews by candied

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have this in Stellar Sunrise, a vibrant coral color with teensy tiny microshimmers in the tube that don't really show up when the product is applied (I find this a good thing, as they also don't affect the texture and there is no frostiness). I think a lot of reviewers have misunderstood the nature of this product -- it is NOT a lip gloss. It is NOT intended to be moisturizing -- it IS a long wearing lip color. Admittedly, I was in a rush in my local drugstore and grabbed this based on color alone -- not realizing that this was a liquid lipstick. But, the directions, should you read them, clearly say -- "Apply a thin film to lips, wait until dry, remove with oil-based remover." I'm willing to bet that those having issues with removal are not following directions.

The product itself has a doefoot applicator and applies thin and is light and slightly creamy - sort of between a gel and a cream if that makes sense. It has a very slight chemical-ish scent (no added other fragrance) which is only discernible to me if I am sniffing the tube -- no scent or taste once it has dried on the lips. The color is intense, and on the lips is true to the tube color. It then dries, and leaves a paint-like coating on the lips, slightly tacky to the touch. It doesn't transfer onto coffee cups and the like, but I do find it to be drying. I would not rub your lips together before it dries (moves the color around too much and it won't dry in an even coat). As I didn't intend to buy this type of product, but LOVE the color, I'm still looking for ways to make this work for me -- I've tried balm either under or over, but found it's affected the longevity of the color too much for it to be a solution. Will update in a bit - I've heard that using a wax-based balm over (as opposed to oil-based) will help with moisture and not affect the color.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/30/2011 7:50:00 AM More reviews by sorcha7420

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I usually like Revlon products and tried this when I saw it on special offer. It was a purply shade - comparable to Blackberry in the Super Lustrous line.

I hated it. As others have said, it dries like paint, feels dry on your lips and is impossible to remove. A real disappointment.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/17/2011 3:33:00 PM More reviews by wbwilliams1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Hated it. I bought two Revlon colorstay foundations (love them!) at Ulta when it was buy two Revlon get one free. I didn't want three foundations, and this lipstick was comparably priced, so I decided to try it in the gorgeous Prized Peach shade. I put it on my lips and immediately knew it'd be going right back to Ulta for an exchange. It was like putting paint on my lips, which dries into every crack, and feels nasty on. I couldn't leave it on longer than two minutes because I so hated how it felt. There's no such think as lipcolor that lasts, because the stuff that lasts feels like nailpolish applied to your lips. Pass.