August 23, 2014 | 1060 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 2 of 5 on 10/3/2013 9:20:00 PM More reviews by AmeliaBbeautiful84

I have acne prone skin that is very sensitive. While I was pregnant recently I asked in the store about moisturizer to use and the sales lady said I should use this other kind until I have the baby. So post baby I purchased this one. Not crazy about it. I feel like its sticky and clogs my pores. I prefer the other one they have. The Take A Deep Breath is better for sensitive acne prone skin

rated 1 of 5 on 9/26/2013 3:45:00 PM More reviews by bbdream

VERY DETAILED REVIEW: I love Philosophy. I think it is an amazing brand and I own and use many of their products. However, I take judge each product on its own merits, not the companies, so this review is completely unbiased. First off, a little about me, I am a 19 year old boy with acne prone skin, oily-combination. I also have dry patches on my nose, cheeks, and any blemish areas I may have at any given time. The product comes in a cute little plastic jar, and I personally don't mind the packaging. I am not worried about contaminating the product because I always wash my hands before retrieving some of the product. The moisturizer is white and creamy, with a sort of whipped texture, however there are no bubbles in the product and it is quite dense. A little goes a long way, and my 1oz jar lasted about 3 months with everyday use. It applies very nicely- I have heard someone describe it as spreading water over your face, and I would have to agree. Using the proper amount, I found that after some massaging Into my skin, it was quickly absorbed. The skin on your face feels to plump and become hydrated, however on a deeper level and not very superficial. When I apply the moisturizer, it did not help my flakiness or aid to smooth my skin at all. To the touch, your skin has an odd finish- if you run your fingers over your face, you have some dragging and pulling of your skin. I found that my face seemed to plump and feel healthy, but it did not at all help the way my face looked with foundations, BB creams, and tinted moisturizers because of the lack if help to smooth my dry sections. Also, I noticed that even with using a matte finished foundation and setting it with a translucent powder, this moisturizer is NOT made for oily skin. I was extremely oily on my nose and chin within four hours, and I dot have extremely oily skin naturally. The absolute worst thing about this moisturizer is the smell. If you are familiar with some of the smells of philosophy's products, unless they are labeled to smell like a certain fragrance, such as vanilla birthday cake or citrus, the skin care products smell natural, clean and not overpowering. Hope In A Jar is certainly a natural smell, not a chemically smell. However, it smells quite sour and off putting. If a face soap smells bad or even a mask, I can usually get over it because the smell is washed off of your face. With this moisturizer, the smell lingers for a good hour and a half after you put it on. In the jar, it smells alright, not gross but nothing extraordinary. The problem is when you put it on your skin. I kid you not- my skin smelled like wet dog. Wet dog. And I alternated my cleansers, thinking that might have been the problem. It wasn't, it was Hope in A Jar. I even applied the moisturizer in different ways, hoping to suppress the smell, and that was to no avail. Thankfully, you are the only one who has to endure the smell of it- it's not a smell that is strong enough to diffuse while it's on your face and drift to someone else's unfortunate nostrils. I regret buying this product- It was quite expensive and it was not for me. I could only see this being of any use to to someone with already great skin, not needing to suppress oil or hydrate dry patches. The only effect this moisturizer had on my skin was leaving my skin feeling refreshed, although that is a characteristic that is found in most moisturizers. Because of my love for philosophy, I sampled out Take A Deep Breath, a gel moisturizer fit for oily to combo skin, and I have fallen in love with it. I recommend trying that one out over Hope in a Jar, regardless of your skin type, because it actually does something and doesn't make me oily. Unfortunately, these moisturizers are expensive, so if you have a Sephora near you, sample sample sample! $40 is too much to spend on a whim.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2013 9:26:00 PM More reviews by MyBeehive

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got a freebie of a deluxe mini size of this and was excited to use the small jar at the gym, thinking it'd be regular and basic moisturizer, well unsealed the jar tonight and used and oh my god the smell!! Cannot get past it. Lilyjules, below, said hair dye at the salon and that's exactly what I get too, it's so bad and lingers for a long time. My jar isn't old, I got it fresh and sealed so that's not it but euu, will not be testing this again for the results as the smell is really that off putting to me, and I'm not sensitive to scent usually. I thought the hair dryers at the gym had like fried my hair or something, but no, it was this, pass.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/18/2013 8:12:00 AM More reviews by Natashaaxo

I saw this product and was absolutely in love with the packaging because it had a little quote on it. It was on sale but was still quite expensive for the amount it came in. I was so excited to use this moisturizer but unfortunately it didn't do too much. Even my regular cheap moisturizer does more! It also made my eyes sting even though I didn't put it that close to my eyes.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/15/2013 2:30:00 PM More reviews by bluegreyeyes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Ok, I have super resilient skin when it comes to skincare. I'm a beauty junkie so I definitely am constantly changing & experimenting w different products. VERY rarely do I have any issues. I believe Smashbox primer was one that definitely broke me out. And Philosophy Hope in a Jar. I got a wicked rash and had to use cortisone cream to reduce the hot itchy feeling. I'm bummed b/c it wasn't cheap and while I can understand a silicone based primer messing w my skin, I never imagined something by Philosophy would irritate me so bad.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/14/2013 2:45:00 AM More reviews by Hfortunet

I started using this right before bed and before my makeup routine, my face had never been clearer. It's pricey, but for the effect it had on my skin it was well worth it

rated 1 of 5 on 9/11/2013 7:38:00 PM More reviews by zurek

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Overpriced and did nothing for me and I had such high hopes for the cost

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2013 8:00:00 PM More reviews by barberree

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

great product! i noticed a difference after just a few days of using it once a day. it made my skin look plumper, more even, and rosier. i've only been using it for a few weeks, and am excited to see what's in store with longer use. the only thing that sucks is the ridiculous jar format. we all know the reasons why. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 9/8/2013 2:13:00 PM More reviews by apowerfulbeat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received a travel-size jar as part of a gift and I don't think I would've purchased this on my own. It does moisturize and soften skin but it's nothing special, certainly not for the price of the full-sized jar. It doesn't do anything different than any other moisturizer. The smell is off-putting (I think it smells like a dog) but it eventually goes away.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/3/2013 10:54:00 AM More reviews by lilyjules

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had such high "hopes" for this as it is such a cult product. However, I did not like it at all. I use mostly unscented products, so am used to not having makeup or lotions that smell like flowers or lovely things (hello clinique!), however, the scent of this made me feel ill as it was SO strong and lingered. It also lingered on my hands despite washing them multiple times. The best I can describe it is similar to hair dye in a salon. My eyes also started burning and tearing after I put it on my face, and I did NOT put the cream anywhere near my eyes! I had to flush them out. Not sure what caused this but haven't experienced that before... The consistency was strange (gel? cream? lotion?), but that isn't really an issue just something I wasn't expecting. Once the cream sank into my face (took about 30 min's) it felt lovely though. Shame about the burning eyes and scent :(.