Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

2.8

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

on 5/14/2014 7:25:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I bought this is a value pack from QVC. I love the purity made simple that came with is and read all the rave reviews on this stuff. I swear that my jar had to be expired. The smell was so awful. It smelled like fish, or metal. The smell I cannot stand is the smell that comes off of keys or coins when handling them. Every time I wore this stuff I could not get past the smell. HATED IT! Could be that I got a bad jar, but either way, the moisturzer wasnt anything special anyway. Would not repurchase, huge regret, waste of a lot of money!

on 5/11/2014 5:28:00 PM

too expensive! doesn't do anything for my face. not worth the money. might have been breaking me out.

I'm not sure if they altered the ingredients, but I used to love this. Holy grail love! Either my skin has changed or the product has changed, but this doesn't work for me anymore.

on 5/2/2014 2:06:00 AM

I got this during the sephora VIB sale and the sales assistant was really friendly and recommended this to me since I was looking for a moisturizer. I have always loved the purity cleanser so I got this Hope In a Jar in a kit with a cleanser and the Eye Hope. Both the cleanser and the eye cream worked well but I just couldn't stand the smell of this. While I do like the light consistency of it, the smell just bothered me so much that I needed to get rid of it, will never be purchasing this because I just cant stand the smell of this on me.

on 4/29/2014 11:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I was so excited to try this moisturiser as my friend had finished a whole tub and we have similar skin, but after using it for a few months, I am kind of disappointed. Firstly, I bought it when I was overseas and had to travel around with it, the packaging was sooo bad for this, the cream would end up all over the lid and up the sides and it would even leak out liquid! I loved that it was a whipped moisturiser, but after travelling with it, it seemed to have lost all the air and just became a normal sloppy consistency.
Another thing is the smell, I really tried to like it and thought of it like this: "it doesnt have to smell nice, as long as it is doing good for my skin" but now I feel I am just lying to myself. Theres just something weird about it, and I can't quite put my finger on it.
As for how it makes my skin feel? It feels nice to put on, I think I might prefer something a bit thicker (I use it as a night moisturiser) but I haven't noticed anything amazing. I have recently even started going back to my old drugstore cream because the smell is so gross before bedtime! It is very overpriced for what it is.
Overall I was disappointed with this product and definitely would not repurchase.

I began using this cream 10 years ago while I was in my early twenties. Back then, I didn't really notice any difference in my skin from this cream, probably because I didn't have any major skin issues. Now that I am in my thirties, I began to notice discoloration, dullness and texture changes and decided to give this brand another try. I have to say that I have seen a tremendous improvement in my skin over the past 3 weeks. HIAJ is the perfect amount of moisture and leaves my skin soft and glowing. Texture has improved and my skin is brighter, more even toned and fine lines are improved. I use this in conjunction with the vitamin c booster and HIAJ night cream, and also use the retinol treatment 3x a week.

on 4/16/2014 11:24:00 PM

I like the consistency of this moisturizer and how it makes my skin feel, but it smells like wet dog! If it wasn't for the nasty smell I'd be a fan.

More like junk in a jar, look at the ingredients, they are just a smodge podge of a bunch of ingredients it didn't do anything special for my skin and i know of so many other moisturizers that actually work.

on 4/2/2014 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

What a dreadful product. I've honestly never liked Philosophy, but have been hearing more and more about them, so I thought maybe I was too quick to judge in the past. So I went out and purchased Hope in a Jar and the Purity Made Simple One-Step Cleanser (see separate review) and I was beyond disappointed by both. Hope in a Jar is just that... Hope. But disappointment. Reminds me of how I get psyched up for a date that promises to be amazing, and I'm left wondering afterwards how I will regain those couple hours of my life. This "moisturizer" dried out my combination skin to the point of peeling, itching, and breakouts. Now that I'm a bit older, I only breakout from two things: 1) hormonal changes at a very particular time of the month; and, 2) crappy products. This also comes in a jar (WTF) so it is completely unsanitary and a pain in the #&@ to use. Oh and the smell... the smell! Am I dying my hair or moisturizing? This is going back to the store today with the Purity Cleanser, as well as all the freebies I was given by Philosophy, I don't even want those! Back to using my current HG - Devita Age Perfecting Moisturizer.

on 3/19/2014 9:39:00 PM

I have fairly normal skin nowadays. Not sensitive, dry, oily, etc. As far as acne, I get tiny blackheads and occasionally a breakout of whiteheads. But this stuff, dear lord. I had zits that turned red and itched! It looked like I had mosquito bites all over my face after I'd been using this product morning and night for two days. Never again. Maybe I'll use the rest as a hand lotion.

Popular Moisturizers