Bath and Body Works whole store

3.5

on 3/22/2007 9:53:00 PM

I have shopped at BBW since the early 90's, when juniper breeze, sun ripened raspberry, freesia, and country apple were the main scents. Now, the stores are 3x the size and with many more product lines. Yes, they push their sales, 3 lotions for the price of 2, etc. but the stores by me are so crowded all the time, that SA's are too busy to be pushy. It's not a relaxing environment, and I do notice that the lighting is always super-bright. (maybe meant to hurry us up?) Quality was always just mid-range, and the products were always hit or miss.... no different from any other beauty chain store, I guess. They follow fragrance note trends, so you have to expect that the scent you love today will be gone tomorrow. The prices may be going up, but they're still in the mid-range. If BBW decides to get a pretentious "beauty philosophy," we'll really see an increase. It's a good store for picking up a gift set for a co-worker or something. I can always find a good antibacterial soap that smells yummy or a good body scrub, but overall, it's just an okay store. Expanding doesn't really impress me. The quality would need to really significantly change, and that's not likely.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I LOVE BBW! They always have great sales on their already cheap stuff! All of the products are amazing and they have testers of everything. You can even try all the scrubs and washes at the sinck! How convient! The employees at my store (I do live in a pretty small town) know me by name and are so friendly. LOVE LOVE LOVE it~

on 2/3/2007 11:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I agree with laundromat. I, too, am a Bath and Body Works employee. And as laundromat said, that is our job, to let customers know about sales. Before I worked there I loved going in there. The head manager called me by name and assisted me to the things she KNOWS I like. She had been begging me to work for them for awhile and I finally gave in. It's a fun job. I already know everything they have like the back of my hand and I love helping people, especially the men that come in there totally clueless, find something they would like.I know alot of people complain about BBW discontinuing items. Well, I have to say, I wouldn't want to go in a store that ALWAYS have the same things. It gets boring. BBW changes items because it keeps customers coming. It's so fun putting out new items and then seeing others just as happy. And the items they do keep is a pretty obvious retail tactic. You keep what the majority buys. It varies from store to store. Well, I just wanted to put my opinion out here and read what people are saying. If any of you need assistance I'm sure I can help!

on 1/27/2007 1:21:00 PM

BBW is my favorite store!! I love their semi-annual sales!! I usually buy more than I can use though. I always buy gifts for my friend from there as well. My favorites are the body lotions (sweet pea, magnolia, cherry blossom, brown sugar and fig, peony) and the room sprays. The room sprays are the best air freshner I've ever used. They smell really nice and are very long lasting.

on 1/17/2007 4:47:00 AM

Well, I do work at BBW, but only because I enjoy their products so much. Before that, I was just your average customer. I feel like I can give positive accounts both as an employee and as a shopper. When I was "just" a customer, I liked that an SA always welcomed you and directed you to whatever sale was going on, because merchandise is moved so often to accommodate certain promotions, etc.

It's interesting to read the reviews of how the sales associates did or didn't push sales. I'm still employed by the company, so I'm not going to go into any great detail... but yes, we are taught to remind people of the sales and promotions. Some stores may take that further than others, I'm sure. You'll find the same sort of tactics used at Victoria's Secret since they're both owned by the Limited Brands. That didn't sink in on me until I started working for BBW, but there are some subtle similarities between the two stores.

I like the store as an employee, too. They have some of the most comprehensive training and orientation I've seen for a retail store, even for the entry level positions. I was a little scared that I'd never be able to remember every little product and ingredient, but they do a lot to keep the associates informed.

I personally like that the company is starting to branch out, as I get tired of the signature collection sometimes. I love C.O. Bigelow and True Blue Spa and the Aromatherapy collections. I'm also loving the newer scents they've come up with for the signature collection....so much better than the older ones.

on 11/20/2006 11:24:00 AM

My favorite store in the mall.

on 11/3/2006 2:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I totally love BBW! It is crazy how much money I spend on their products and I always try out new scents! Most of the time I go for their Lotions, Creamy Body Washes and Splashes but I also like their Foaming Soaps. To me, the best way to get their great products is either on a sale or on Ebay, because alwayz paying full store prices would get me dead broke in no time.. :-))
The only thing I don't like about it (besides the high prices) is that they seem to always discontinue the best fragrances, like Sunburst Melon, Blissful Blackberry, Toasted Hazelnut or Strawberry Lemonade just to name a few. Hopefully they will bring back a couple of these great products next year.

on 10/22/2006 9:20:00 PM

I am not a huge B&BW fan but I go to the spring sale and almost always buy Christmas gifts there. Overall, I like the store and don't feel pressured when I'm there. I think they used to be more pushy a few years ago. About the scents: I can't find one that I love but they offer a nice variety. Interestingly, I find that some of their 'new' scents are remarkably similar to ones that were discontinued a few years ago. There's a new Fig & Something scent that is just like a holiday scented shower gel I got about 4 years ago.

on 10/3/2006 1:21:00 PM

It was pretty interesting reading through these reviews as I've worked for BBW for over 5 years in several different stores and for several different people. Nothing's worse to me than coming off as pushy - believe me, we hate being hounded when we shop, too. Some shop directors would like us to pretty literally follow the customer around the store through the entire visit, placing things in their bags/baskets we think they should try. There were even times we carried around tally cards of home many times we've demoed a product on people. Others, like my current SD, simply want us to greet the customers and check on them once or twice. I'm sorry for all of you who've had bad experiences, I've had 'em, too ;)

I also feel for those of you who've felt alienated by the direction the company's going: eliminated the "signature line" and developing the others. I've lost some of my favorites also, and I'm sure you hate hearing "Check back at our semi annual sale!". I personally used nothing but our body lotion before I started working there (and I have very dry, sensitive skin... plus I'm from Minnesota, and it worked beautifully all through the winter). But that's just me, just like all products. Anyway, I don't have much of a point here, but I'm glad that most of you like us!

on 7/10/2006 12:55:00 PM

I love B&BW products. I do find that the salespeople can be VERY pushy, though. Many times I will be greeted by every salesperson they have working on the floor, & they all try to push on me whatever sale or promotion they're having. Once is fine, but they overdo it. And then if I choose to not go for whatever the promotion is (3 for $10, etc), the cashier "reminds" me of the sale at the checkout. Sometimes I simply don't need 5 bottles of lotion, people! I assume they train all their employees in this same manner because the tactics seem universal no matter where the store is.

I also have a bit of a personal issue with the design of the checkout counter. I use a wheelchair & the store I go to has its credit/debit card swipers WAY too high. They're set back on the counter too, so there is no way I can access them. Several times the cashier has asked me to give her my pin # so that she can enter it in for me. I'm not usually a paranoid person, but I really don't like the idea of calling out my pin # in the store. I'm not sure what the ADA code is for card swipers, but I'm considering contacting a higher-up regarding this problem.

Popular Other Products