November 25, 2014 | 1755 users online

Liquid - Rimmel - Stay Matte Clarifying Matte Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 9/15/2010 4:04:00 PM More reviews by tourmalinequeen

Stay matte? stay matte? I am a mature woman and this stuff made my face like an oil slick in no time at all. I had to powder constantly...coverage slides away soon, too...absolute crap.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2010 3:00:00 PM More reviews by crimrose

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

OVERVIEW: I love this foundation - I have never tried a drugstore foundation that was this good. Usually I am a MAC fan, but when I ran out of my beloved Studio Sculpt and needed foundation in a pinch, I picked up Rimmel's Stay Matte + Skinpure Complex from my local Shoppers Drug Mart for around $10, based on a review on YouTube that sang its praises. It's not for everyone (but what product is?), but if what I'm about to write sounds good to you for your skin type and preference, you just might love it. :)

ABOUT ME: I am a fair, normal-skinned girl, blessed with skin that (usually) behaves. The odd blemish occasionally appears, but for the most part I'm acne-free.

SHADE: In MAC, I am an NC20, and I picked up the lightest shade, in 001 Ivory. The shade selection, I'll admit, is reasonably poor. If you are very pale or very dark, you will have trouble finding anything that suits you. As for me, this is a near-perfect match, oddly enough, so I love that. I'm pretty ivory-skinned myself, and this may be just a touch too dark, but not noticeably.

PACKAGING: This is packaged in a nice, hygenic squeeze tube, not unlike Studio Sculpt. It's presentable enough, and I like the fact that it's not in a jar or something - the foundation will always be clean and free of bacteria before use.

TEXTURE/CONSISTENCY: The texture is pretty smooth - it seems to apply similarly to a tinted moisturizer, with its consistency being more on the watery side than on the creamy or thick side. The consistency is fairly thin, but it applies smoothly.

APPLICATION: I usually use a sponge for my foundation, buying replacements as needed. I did the same for this, and the results were pretty nice. It's a very, very natural finish - it doesn't look as if I'm wearing foundation, which I love personally. You could also use your fingers if you wanted, and probably still have it come out just as nice. However since it's in a tube, I would strongly advise against using a brush - it can be very streaky.

FINISH: It is not really purely matte, more like a semi-matte, semi-dewy finish. I really like that it adds the vitality, the lifelike glow to the face, without adding shine. Also, even though it doesn't look totally matte (though I fixed that with powder), it is absolutely NEVER oily on me, at ANY point during the day. I love the staying power. My skin feels smooth and shine-free all day. The finish is super-natural (my d/b remarked that it looked just like my skin :) ).

COVERAGE: The coverage is light to medium. I think it looks the most natural when applied with a light hand, as a light, even cover on the face. However, if you'd like more coverage, I'd say it is buildable to medium. Full is not achievable because of the thin consistency and wet (as opposed to creamy) texture.

WHAT I LIKE: The texture, the natural finish, the staying power, the look, the feel.

WHAT I DO NOT LIKE: The fact that it has no SPF to speak of. I hate foundations without SPF - if it had sun protection it'd be great! Of course I can fix that with sunscreen, but why waste time on that extra step, when there are foundations with excellent sun protection, with SPF 15, 30, sometimes even higher? Seems like a waste to me.

WHO MIGHT LIKE THIS: People who enjoy a natural look, a natural finish. People with normal or combo skin would be optimal candidates for this, not those with oily or very oily skin, because though I love the lack of shine on me, I am not a very oily-skinned person (only in humidity). People who want the no-makeup feel, because this is extremely light, not at all thick or heavy or mask-like. Those of us who are on a budget will also love the price.

WHO MIGHT NOT LIKE THIS: Very oily-skinned people, people who prefer a creamy texture, people who want full coverage, people who want to cover acne or wrinkles, people who wish to achieve a totally matte complexion.

Overall, however, I really like the look, feel, lasting power of this foundation, and it looks so natural - it's also so cheap! If you are on a budget, and you fit the bill, I'd say you should definitely give this one a try.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/10/2010 5:34:00 PM More reviews by SnowcLovers

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

After trying out Rimmel's Lasting Foundation (which I love), I decided to try this one out. The packaging is okay. It's better than the glass bottles, but I always end up getting way too much out of the tube. I was honestly quite surprised by this foundation. The consistency is a little on the watery side and provides light-medium coverage. It is the only foundation so far that has kept my face matte. I can actually touch my face and not see any oil transfer on my hands. The only big problem that I have with it is that there's no SPF. I will definitely buy this again; not only is it cheap, but it actually works better than products twice as expensive.

EDIT: After using this foundation for years (a tube lasts me quite a long time), I'm afraid I will be looking for a different foundation. I recently picked up a new tube from the drug store and it just wasn't the same. The consistency was a lot waterier and it didn't last very well and coverage was not as good as it was before. Also, it has a really strong odor now. It also broke me out and made my skin splotchy red. My skin isn't acne prone and at first I just thought it was hormonal but I decided to stop using this just in case and the redness and acne started to go away.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/8/2010 1:02:00 AM More reviews by shuizar209

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Shade range is horrible. Doesnt stay matte. 2 hours later I am a greasy mess. Packaging is convenient though. I will not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2010 10:53:00 PM More reviews by BlackDahlia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

Eh.....I don't like this.
Whenever I use it my skin turns out orange, and blotchy.
I got the lightest shade, and it was way too dark for me.
Maybe I got a bad one?
I'm not sure, but I don't plan I re-buying this again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2010 2:24:00 PM More reviews by lolajean

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I actually really like this foundation! I learned about it from a girl at Starbucks who has beautiful skin. I commented on how pretty her complexion is, and she said this was her secret. I normally wear Clinique City Block Sheer or Smashbox tinted moisturizer topped with loose powder, but I thought I'd give the Rimmel a try. It evens out my skin and blends away any redness. The coverage is pretty sheer, I'd say a step or two above a tinted moisturizer. It doesn't settle into my pores or lines and lasts most of the day. I have combination skin that leans more toward oily during the Summer, and this does help with the shine a little, but I don't think it would help very oily skin. I'm fair to light and yellow, and I had to get this in the lightest shade. The color is perfect and I don't look like I'm wearing any makeup. Pleasant drugstore surprise!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/8/2010 6:55:00 PM More reviews by Ggirlygirl

This product is pretty good, it gives me a nice dewy finish though its suppose to me matte. it gives pretty good coverage.The bad thing about this product is that it does not last for then 4 hours thus I only wear it if I m going to the mall,

rated 1 of 5 on 8/5/2010 6:17:00 PM More reviews by boara94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

OMG! I hate this product! It did not work with me at all. The colour was just off, and my face looked better without it! It was really weirdly creamy and made my face look cakey! I ended up using it once and throwing it out in the garbage~ Never again for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2010 4:29:00 PM More reviews by LaSirena4

I LOVE THIS INEXPENSIVE FOUNDATION!!! and the stay matte pressed powder is great to set this! the only problem is the lack of colors and because of that their lightest shade was just a tiny bit too dark for my skin but it worked. It stayed on almost all day and did a great job of not making my skin look oily even without the powder over it. I hope they dont ever discontinue these but rather add more color choices. I love stippling this on with a mac 187.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2010 8:18:00 PM More reviews by savethetatas

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is my winter foundation for when i need more coverage, it's awesome stuff!, it gives me great coverage, and lasts a long time for me. I love this stuff.