September 21, 2014 | 2058 users online

Loose Powders - New York Color - loose translucent powder

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2010 5:44:00 PM More reviews by dreamspice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was looking for an inexpensive replacement for my Laura Mercier translucent loose powder and picked this up based on the great reviews. No doubt the price can NOT be beat. It was on sale when I got it so I paid around $2 - a fraction of the cost of Laura Mercier. Unfortunately, it didn't really do the job for me. For one thing, it's a little chalkier and heavier - not great on my dry skin. For another, something about it irritated my allergies. But the worst thing about it is the container. The Laura Mercier powder has a screw on top. Which is great because my loose powder doesn't just live on my bathroom counter (because I *have* no bathroom counter). The container for this is just an accident waiting to happen. I guess if I loved the product, I'd just use it to refill my Laura Mercier but I don't so I won't.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/27/2010 6:44:00 PM More reviews by alexaclarke

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I first bought this powder just to test it out. I don't mind it, it sets my makeup pretty nicely. Just make sure not to use to much of it or you'll look chalky.

It's okay for a loose powder, I keep it as a backup for when I run out of my primary one, but I just feel that Marcelle makes a better loose powder.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2010 12:28:00 PM More reviews by LittleViolet

I bought this a few days ago even though I was satisfied with my current translucent powder (Boots #7 from Target). I had been extremely happy to find that HG powder but these reviews made me curious to try this one for my "at home" powder since the Boots case travels so well in my bag. Also, the Boots powder is $12 which is a good deal but of course a $3 powder would be better.

I tried it as a setting powder and didn't like how it did not "sink in" like the Boots. It rested on top although it was invisible. I felt it was not as finely milled as the Boots and I would not trust it to control oil as well as the Boots does. All and all I am going back to my Boots and I need to check out if they have a pressed translucent powder as well. I will stash this one in my car or something for emergencies, but it is not going to live in my makeup bag, even after I transfer it to a Sephora empty powder holder. I just wasn't impressed. I felt that baby powder could have done the same thing at the same price and consistency.

Grr I hate when you try to improve an HG and you end up spending MORE on a cheaper product because you then have to buy the HG over again to replace the Fail. I guess I will stop looking for things when I find the ideal....ya right!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2010 11:00:00 AM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Ok, as others have said, the only bad part about this is the packaging, the sifter is way to big, even tried to tape back up a few holes and regardless way too much comes out. But there is the option of moving the powder to a diff jar/container or be careful bc its a puff cloud opening or closing. But for $2-3 i cannot tell u how awesome the product/powder is. I have semi dry pale skin, no oil prob maybe under eyes but the powder i swear sets everything perfectly. All over face with a powder or kabuki brush and my makeup is set for the day. I have pale skin so it doesnt look white or powdery and my dry spots dont show. It makes my face look perfect! I use a small brush and pat/swipe a teeny bit on under eye area and this has worked wonders for my liners, normally most will smear or run down my face bc my allergies give me watery eyes sometimes no prob with this powder. I cant believe people spend more than $3 bc this is truly a drugstore find! It will work well for everyone! Get it n try it! Ull be amazed! (They also make a pressed form and thats amazing too- i use both alternate daily. Its $2 so its great too.) I love Nyc for making such great cruelty free products- esp this powder i have been using forever and will continue buying forever!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2010 10:13:00 AM More reviews by mechanicaljen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a solid performer, a no frills product. It doesn't promise light diffusion, blurring of imperfections or any gimmick of the hour. What it does is set my makeup without adding any extra color, coverage or cakiness.

As most reviewers here, I think that the packaging on this absolutely sucks. Opening the jar is a delicate operation, in which any sudden movements will send large puffs of powder through the air, choking all those in sniffing distance. Also, the applicator is worthless.

Now for the good part. This powder rivals every HE powder I've tried. It doesn't advertise my occasionally dry, flaky skin when I take the proper precautions. It is invisible on my NC20/25 skin and sets my makeup very well. All for less than $3.

A cheap brush (I recommend ELF) and a refillable powder jar from Sephora will fix all faults with this product, for a total cost that is far less of comparable powders.

I'll buy it as long as they make it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2010 10:27:00 AM More reviews by Jewelx17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I swear, I am never buying high end makeup again. I was previously using BE Mineral Veil without even thinking about how well it works. I was mainly using it because it's suppose to be skin-friendly. I have also used other translucent powders and now I have finally realized I have been throwing my money away all these years. In fact, I was using mainly all high end makeup products until recently. I just thought you can't get quality makeup unless you pay a lot. Not true, you just have to find the right ones that work for you. This loose powder is dirt cheap (I think I paid $2.75) and it works very well. It doesn't look chalky or cakey and gives a good amount of oil control which is exactly what I was looking for. I will forever buy this product.
Note: A lot of the product comes spilling out of the sifter so be careful when turning it upside down. Also, this product has talc in it which is fine with pressed but it's actually not good for you to inhale. Just remember to hold your breath when applying.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2010 10:57:00 AM More reviews by AmyDbaby

I used this product many, many years ago and just recently repurchased as I am trying to use more drugstore products. And why have I been paying $20-$40 for loose powder for the last 15 years? I have no idea. Feeling kinda stupid for all the money I've wasted on powder over the years. This stuff is really nice. No caking and a nice bit of oil control without being drying. The translucent shade is perfect for my NC 20-25 skin. Thanks MUA for helping me rediscover this drugstore gem.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2010 1:31:00 PM More reviews by berniegwen

i love this powder! def HG material!!!! i have large pores on my cheeks and this powder seem to minimize them. i first bought the pressed powder in natural beige and at first i liked it because it doesnt cake on me but the color seem obvious so i got this and its perfect (the powder, not the packaging). i use a TM, a little blush, and set it with this wonderful powder and i get a nice polished face!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2010 1:16:00 AM More reviews by simplexangel

I use mineral foundation that tends to make my face extremely shiny after a while so I needed something to keep the shine at bay. For the price, I grabbed this and was extremely surprised at the result. My face never got shiny anymore, in fact it made my skin look flawless. There's so much product too, it'll take me a while to finish it up. My only problem with it is how much comes out of the container and how messy it can get. Otherwise, a great product.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/3/2010 6:46:00 PM More reviews by Tammee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was really excited for this product because it set my foundation quite well without making it look too cakey and it was super cheap. Unfortunately, it broke me out. :( Not terrible cystic acne, but just regular pimples. It was really cheap, so I wasn't out much, but I'm sad it didn't work out