New York Color Smooth Skin loose powder - Translucent

Price: $

Price: $

on 4/4/2011 10:53:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

omggg, i love this all-around, just not good for traveling, the top does not screw on and it will get everywhere is you shook it around, i just tape the sides down . good to just apply all over the face to soak up oil .

on 1/23/2011 3:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

For every powder I have tried I can not rate this one high enough, it glides on the skin beautifully and being translucent it doesn't change my skin colour after foundation by making it darker nor lighter which is a pleasent benefit. It keeps my foundation matte and on for the day without any difficulty, I find that I do not have any issues concerning having to apply my powder or foundation again throughout the day. Definitely a staple product within my makeup collection.

This is a good finishing powder to set your liquid foundation. I use the translucent color and feel it does a good job of setting my foundation. I tap off the excess product with my brush and apply. I've used various brushes with this product, and they've all worked just fine. It's super cheap and pretty easy to find, which is always a bonus.

on 1/9/2011 8:17:00 PM

I really like this product. It is very inexpensive. I put it on after i finish all my makeup.

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

i decided it was time i bought a loose translucent setting powder and so i did. i don't have many bad things to say except that i prefer translucent powders with a teeny tiny bit of shimmer as i feel it just makes my face more glowey. however, i like this product enough that i plan to use it, and it will last me a long time. the sponge it comes with is, in my opinion, garbage. you could probably use a powder puff, but i prefer using a big powder brush and it very lightly applies it and any more than that i begin to look a bit chalky. it mattifies decently and sets my concealer well (i do not wear foundation) however sometimes i find it feels a little too dry on my skin. still, i am happy with this purchase and might buy the pressed powder for travelling.
the only problem with the packaging is the sifter is a bit too big, and some powder kind of puffs out when you open on close the lid.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I usually don't buy a lot of drugstore makeup because I don't like the fact that I can't test it out in the store but I needed a translucent powder asap. I got this product and used it for the first time the other day and I must say that I really like it. I like how it helps my makeup stay in place, didn't make me oily and most important of all, it didn't make me break out. I don't really mind the packaging...if too much powder comes out of the jar, I just use what is on the cover and pour the rest back in. I didn't have a problem with it settling into lines or making me look ghostly white. I think it is all with the way you apply it. Definitely have a soft hand when applying this. Remember, you can always add if you need to but it is more difficult to remove what you already have done.

on 12/9/2010 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I was looking for an inexpensive replacement for my Laura Mercier translucent loose powder and picked this up based on the great reviews. No doubt the price can NOT be beat. It was on sale when I got it so I paid around $2 - a fraction of the cost of Laura Mercier. Unfortunately, it didn't really do the job for me. For one thing, it's a little chalkier and heavier - not great on my dry skin. For another, something about it irritated my allergies. But the worst thing about it is the container. The Laura Mercier powder has a screw on top. Which is great because my loose powder doesn't just live on my bathroom counter (because I *have* no bathroom counter). The container for this is just an accident waiting to happen. I guess if I loved the product, I'd just use it to refill my Laura Mercier but I don't so I won't.

on 11/27/2010 6:44:00 PM

I first bought this powder just to test it out. I don't mind it, it sets my makeup pretty nicely. Just make sure not to use to much of it or you'll look chalky.

It's okay for a loose powder, I keep it as a backup for when I run out of my primary one, but I just feel that Marcelle makes a better loose powder.

on 10/30/2010 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this a few days ago even though I was satisfied with my current translucent powder (Boots #7 from Target). I had been extremely happy to find that HG powder but these reviews made me curious to try this one for my "at home" powder since the Boots case travels so well in my bag. Also, the Boots powder is $12 which is a good deal but of course a $3 powder would be better.

I tried it as a setting powder and didn't like how it did not "sink in" like the Boots. It rested on top although it was invisible. I felt it was not as finely milled as the Boots and I would not trust it to control oil as well as the Boots does. All and all I am going back to my Boots and I need to check out if they have a pressed translucent powder as well. I will stash this one in my car or something for emergencies, but it is not going to live in my makeup bag, even after I transfer it to a Sephora empty powder holder. I just wasn't impressed. I felt that baby powder could have done the same thing at the same price and consistency.

Grr I hate when you try to improve an HG and you end up spending MORE on a cheaper product because you then have to buy the HG over again to replace the Fail. I guess I will stop looking for things when I find the ideal....ya right!

on 10/27/2010 11:00:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Ok, as others have said, the only bad part about this is the packaging, the sifter is way to big, even tried to tape back up a few holes and regardless way too much comes out. But there is the option of moving the powder to a diff jar/container or be careful bc its a puff cloud opening or closing. But for $2-3 i cannot tell u how awesome the product/powder is. I have semi dry pale skin, no oil prob maybe under eyes but the powder i swear sets everything perfectly. All over face with a powder or kabuki brush and my makeup is set for the day. I have pale skin so it doesnt look white or powdery and my dry spots dont show. It makes my face look perfect! I use a small brush and pat/swipe a teeny bit on under eye area and this has worked wonders for my liners, normally most will smear or run down my face bc my allergies give me watery eyes sometimes no prob with this powder. I cant believe people spend more than $3 bc this is truly a drugstore find! It will work well for everyone! Get it n try it! Ull be amazed! (They also make a pressed form and thats amazing too- i use both alternate daily. Its $2 so its great too.) I love Nyc for making such great cruelty free products- esp this powder i have been using forever and will continue buying forever!

Recommended for Normal Skin