Laura Mercier Laura Mercier Oil Free Foundation

3.6

Water, Propylene Glycol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Talc, Kaolin, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearic Acid, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Triethanolamine, Polysorbate 20, Squalane, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Sorbitan Laurate, Phenoxyethanol, Oleic Acid, Methylparaben, Lecithin, Propylparaben, Cocoyl Sarcosine, Trisodium EDTA, Panthenol, Tocopherol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Butylparaben, Retinyl Palmitate, Xanthan Gum, Ascorbic Acid, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Titanium Dioxide (Cl 77891), Mica (Cl 77019), Iron Oxides (Cl 77491, Cl 77492, Cl 77499), Ultramarines (Cl 77007). 6/1/09

Im not sure if It is completely my HG. Perfect match for colour its like my second skin (im wearing SUNNY BEIGE) nc30 in mac. but feels like it doesnt Control my oily skin and not give me a matte finish.

on 6/3/2011 7:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have a love-hate relationship with this foundation for several reasons.
COLOR:
I bought the lightest shade porcelain ivory. It's light enough but it's also quite yellow-based whereas my skin tends to be neutral to slightly pink. It works well when my skin is irritated and has red patches but I have to be very careful to use minimal amounts because otherwise it looks ridiculous (I still don't get Bobbi Brown's yellow for all hype..why would I want to look yellow?!)
COVERAGE:
The coverage is actually pretty good, I was surprised that people complain about it. I apply less than one pump with a foundation brush and that works fine. If I apply more or try to layer it has a tendency to become cakey and just looks very yellow.
TEXTURE:
Now this is the real problem for me. As most oily-skinned gals out there I have some large pores and this stuff does nothing to soften or hide them. Also it accentuates any small expression lines around your eyes (mind you, I'm 22 years old. I don't have wrinkles!). If you have any dry patches or blemishes it'll accentuate them besides covering the redness well. I've tried about every application method there is (sponge, stippling, foundation brush, fingers...) and it doesn't solve the problem. Moisturizers and sunscreens don't help either. Don't even try to mix this with your moisturizer, it doesn't help.
CONCLUSION:
This foundation is not for me. Some days it looks perfect and it certainly feels light enough but I can't deal with its texture on the long run. I need a foundation that performs well every day no matter in what shape my skin is. I now use this for going out to cancel out any alcohol-induced redness but there certainly are better foundations out there for my skin type and problems.

on 5/29/2011 12:52:00 PM

I'm not a fan of this foundation, it just didn't seem to do anything for me or my skin. It seemed very light coverage (and not very buildable) and nowhere near as goods as GA's UV lasting silk. I wasn't impressed!

on 4/23/2011 11:13:00 AM

I registered on this site because after using it for months I finally found this foundation and I def wanted to share :) . First off I have reently tried makeup forever matte velvet ,Mac and studio gear. First two broke me out completely . Studio gear was okay just got too oily. A sephora associate recommended Laura's makeup for my sensitive mid day oily skin. Ps if u are looking to get personalized attention with makeup go to a department store . Sephora just color matched me , Nordstrom actually make up my whole face three times in looking for my perfect look, plus an actual artist from Laura Mercier was the one doing my makeup. Mug more professional and attentive , not pushy and well guided me to my perfect foundation.
I wore if for the day did not get oily at all! Plus it looked so natural my boyfriend even uttered the words flawless when he saw my makeup! After one day of applying the foundation my face looked healthy and all the small bumps from makeup forevers foundation ,,, gone!! Wow! Btw I did recieve Laura's oil free foundation primer and this adds to the perfect look .. Def will purchase to wear together. Also I used my fingers and the make up still looked perfect. If u are looking for a makeup that looks great and does good for ur skin spen the extra money .. Ull be much happier :). Oh and I apologize for any typos my phone would not let me edit properly :p

on 4/23/2011 9:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This foundation works really well for me. You do need to use a wet sponge to apply but aside from that, it's really easy to use.
It's also the type of foundation where you can increase or decrease the amount of coverage you need.
It does not make me break out and it gives off a very natural effect.

on 4/19/2011 10:27:00 PM

I actually like this foundation. Its great on my combination skin and seems like it's concentrated. Gives good, long-lasting coverage. I would buy it again.

on 4/18/2011 11:51:00 PM

EDIT: Definitely spoke too soon.

With my Napoleon Perdis pore minimiser mattifier this foundation is everything I've covered below. However, I ran out at the start of last week and that's when it all went pear-shaped.

Without the mattifier this is not matte at all, but rather has a dewy finish which is not good for my oily complexion. Coverage is very underwhelming - I feel like I need to use a lot more powder to get the medium coverage I'm after. It also doesn't seem very buildable - my face just feels oily and dirty the more I put on. The colour isn't as good as I initially thought either - it is quite ash and washes me out really badly.

I'm so disappointed, especially for an $80 foundation. Big let down.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just bought this last week after my napoleon china doll fiiiiinally ran out (I love np foundations but the colours are far too yellow based for me).

Firstly, I think AUD$80 is ridiculous, especially for the standard 30ml. And I don't like the glass bottle for the simple fact that I know I'm going to be throwing away product when I can't get any more out of the pump. I much prefer plastic tubes that I can cut open to get my money's worth (yes, I'm that cheap).

I do really like this though, mostly for two reasons. This is the closest colour match I've ever found (blush ivory); it is probably a little on the dark side but the lighter shade would have washed me out way too much. Secondly, I haven't had any break outs yet!! I've only had it a week though, so hopefully I'm not speaking too soon. I have huge issues with foundations breaking me out (MAC Studio fluid was the worst!!!) so finding something in a medium, buildable and oil-free coverage in a good colour is a big deal for me.

Longevity is pretty standard; with a bit of maintenance (blot twice a day and sometimes a re-touch with powder) and it holds up all day. It's really nice to apply too, very smooth and easy to blend as it doesn't seem to 'set' as quickly as other oil-free foundations. I also love that I don't have to scrub my face at the end of the day to get it off, which means I'm not agrivating my skin.

Overall I'm very pleased with this foundation. If it continues to perform the way it has I will definitely repurchase. However, as nice as the ladies at the dj's (queens plaza) counter were I will be sourcing it online.

on 4/17/2011 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I used to use this foundation back in the early 90's because everyone from Sarah Jessica Parker to Madonna was using it and I loved it then. I have since moved on to other foundations because the color ranges of other companies became more diverse. Plus Laura Mercier products are sooooo expensive. I started using again because I needed to cover some acne scars and the MUA did a wonderful job. However I did notice that it started to oxidize and looked soooo dark and shiny in pictures...even in London's freezing cold weather. It also felt sticky within 10 minutes of wearing it. Won't be purchasing again :(

on 4/13/2011 6:07:00 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but boy does this foundation dry super fast!!! It is impossible to blend this stubborn foundation due to it's fast drying solid gel like consistency! Seriously, I've tried every way possible to make this work for me, but the outcome is just horrible! I know it's fast drying, therefore I work little by little, even that, the finish is too cakey and striky! I can see some parts are blended better than others. Unlike a normal foundation which can be evenly blended by a well packed synthetic brush (i.e sigma f80), this foundation is so stubborn that after applying little by little, I cannot buff my face one last time to even things out, because it just won't work! No matter how hard I tried to buff, the dried unevenness just stays!! :/ if anyone have a better method of applying PLEASE let me know! I need help with this! Lol! For reference: I have already tried damped sponge, wet/dry stippling brush, w/d foundation brush, w/d synthetic face brush, fingers, beauty blender!! Lol
The bottle is very nice and simple; looks very sophisticated because of the Laura mercier color and the matte bottle. The only down side to it's packaging is that if my hands were not super dry (i.e have lotion on it, have residue from facce moisturizer, any kind of moisture) the bottle cap will be too slippery to uncap. The cap is very VERY secure, which is a good thing for traveling, but it is pretty hard to open; and don't twist it, because the pump will easily twist off! :/ therefore I am not fond of the packaging!! I mean the pump is a plus, but now a days, most foundations that you pay more than 40 usually comes with a pump; so that is not special!
My closest shade is warm ivory, I believe this foundation comes in several shades, but it is either pink undertone or yellow, none that is neutral.
To tell you the truth, I did not wear this foundation once since I bought it; I would wipe it off as soon as I put it on due to the negative outcome!
Therefore I am in no position to comment on wether this foundation functions well. I do look for oil controlling yet hydrating foundation, and I bought this after researching it; but there were many mixed opinions on it, so I wanted to try it myself! Lol and this is how I got myself into this mess!!!
Lastly, this oil free foundation is definitely a full coverage (personally)! I have about 10 foundations that I am using right now, I would say this is the MOST coverage out of all of them!

on 4/11/2011 3:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I've done a lot of research on this foundation and I was super excited!
the packaging was very cute :)

I have oily skin and have moderate acne. This foundation was amazing in a way where it didn't make my face oily AT ALL (for 12 hours plus) which I thought was AMAZING. Its like a gel, and I found that using my fingers was the best (I used sponges and brushes) because it melts the foundation on my face.

Cons:
expensive :( but I'm sure it lasts forever! cause I only use one-two pumps. (but then...they expire :()
THE COLOR CHANGES :( When I first put it on, I"m excited cause it looks good. BUT, the color somehow changes throughout the day to a darker shade !!! So, I'm not sure whats going on.

I think I just need to work with this more. :( Plus, it is somewhat good for covering up acne :)