Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash Extra Black Mascara

3.7

on 3/29/2012 2:56:00 PM

After all the great things I had heard, I could not wait to try this mascara and really wanted to like it for the price I paid for it. I used it for a while (again mostly because of how expensive it was) but again couldn't really justify to myself using a mascara I disliked this much. It clumps like crazy even when wiping the brush and in the end I get it all over my lids trying to separate my lashes. Honestly one of the worst mascaras I've tried.

on 3/25/2012 10:23:00 AM

I've bought this mascara last week but i think i'll never do another time.I've used for two years ysl false lashes but i've decided to try something new:bad idea! I love the color 'cause it's really extra balck but it makes my lashes clumpy and sticky .I can't understand if the problem it's the applicator or the formula.I'll go try with an ysl clean applicator.

on 3/15/2012 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Smoky Lash is quite frankly the best mascara I've used for thickening and lengthening my lashes. People actually think they're falsies! Yes it's expensive but in my experience and opinion, sooo worth it. My ONLY issue is as others have stated here, is that it does dry out fairly quickly. I resolved that problem by using a bit of mixing medium by MAC on my lashes before applying. Adding a bit of heat (blow dryer to the closed mascara) to the product works as well. All in all, it works for me and I will continue to repurchase. Maybe I'll try some of their other color mascaras next.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I love trying new mascaras, and I had been wanting to try this one for a while. I was able to get a mini size in a swap. Thank goodness it was in a swap. I would've been mad if I had to pay full price for this mascara. There's really no lengthening, volumizing, and the color is hardly very black. It really does not work for me.

on 2/17/2012 10:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really do enjoy this mascara. It lengthens and volumizes my lashes and makes them really nice and black without looking glossy. Sadly this mascara does not last in the tube. It dries out fairly quickly and it loses the effect it originally had when fresh and becomes quite clumpy. It is an amazing mascara but I am just not willing to buy it more often than other mascaras to get the desired effect especially with the steep price tag.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

HG mascara right here. Definitely worth all the hype. Gives me amazingly full voluminous lashes. Just one coat of this transforms my entire face. It makes my eyes pop and look so awake and pretty. It can get clumpy if you apply too much of it so definitely not the best mascara to layer. This mascara is definitely better than any other mascara I've ever tried in terms of giving length, volume and making my lashes look so full and black. LOVE IT!

on 1/26/2012 5:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have short, straight light-medium thickness Asian lashes. I give this a 3.5 and a maybe for repurchase.
Pros: rich black color; volumizes with very little clumping; doesn't smudge.
Cons: little to no lengthening-which makes lashes thick and dark but stubby looking; lashes are stiff and crunchy.

I see myself alternating between Smoky Lash and MAC Haute and Naughty (clumpier but adds length also).

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

As far as mascaras go I'm quite picky. I want something that isn't too heavy or too wet. I want good volume and separation and maybe a little bit of length and curl. And most importantly it can't clump or smudge. Lots of requirements...and this fills most of them. The formula is drier than most, which is nice because I get absolutely no clumps. The brush is amazing because it really separates my lashes, but it doesn't look "spidery". It builds my lashes up for that really full and voluminous look. It is too big to get to the bottom lashes, but that's not a con for me at all. And the color is amazing. The perfect inky black and *not* glossy and shiny like most of my others. I like that it looks like I'm not really wearing mascara, just that my lashes are naturally fabulous.

The only downside is that I can tell already that this is going to dry up incredibly fast. Luckily I only have the small sample size (actually, I have two!), so hopefully I'll get to use the whole tube of this before it needs tossed. I honestly think MUFE should sell this in the sample size for like $10. The full-size is just too big for how quickly this dries up. But overall I really like this and I certainly would purchase a mini size--but I wouldn't shell out $22 for a mascara that would be unusable within a month.

on 1/17/2012 6:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

HATED THIS! This may be the worst mascara I've tried... particularly because I can excuse cheaper formulas, but this is not DS... yet performs worse than it! Flakes like crazy... smudges like crazy... doesn't stick to my lashes. And to be honest, isn't ALL THAT BLACK. So glad I only had a deluxe sample size... jeez. L'oreal Voluminous Carbon Black is MUCH darker and CoverGirl Lash blast separates and holds a curl MUCH better... these are 1/2 the price.

This stuff is wonderful! Worth the price. Lasts all day and doesn't clump. I liked the volume and length L'Oreal's Voluminous gave me, but at the same time it ran and never lasted and clumped like crazy. Make Up For Ever still gave me the intensity as well as the lasting and not clumping. It also comes off easily. I have the waterproof and use the Almay wipes for waterproof makeup and it comes off easily. Definitely repurchasing!