Baking Soda

Price: $

Sodium bicarbonate

on 6/23/2013 3:25:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I loved using baking soda on my face. My face is pretty oily and have lot blackheads mostly on cheeks and chin and whiteheads on cheeks and nose and to mention pores on my cheeks too.
I gave it a try, and holly smokes, I kind of exfoliated my face for like 3 minutes and washed it off with a little cold water. I saw change in my complexion and pores decreased a bit and white heads were not completely gone but you can't notice them unless you get real close. I just let the water dry on it own and didn't even pat dry it. My skin felt smoother and soft.

I would say if your skin is DRY or normal, DO NOT USE IT. Plus, if it dries out your skin a lot, just have some castor oil afterwards. It helps a lot. I like using it every other night, and put castor oil on my face after washing off baking soda. I have noticed my blemishes fading away, and had like plenty of them on my cheeks and now they are just 2 left. I would stick to it along with castor oil.
I guess it depends what type of skin you have. Might want to check it on your hand first before putting anything on face.

on 6/23/2013 12:31:00 AM

Baking soda has so many helpful uses. The way I use it is by sprinkling some on top of my toothpaste before brushing my teeth. This is an EXCELLENT, cheap, & effective whitener. You get a big box (& a little goes a long way), for only about 65 cents. How much cheaper does it get? The only other ways I'd use baking soda are for my hair, for actual baking, or for cleaning purposes. I haven't tried this on my face/skin, but it doesn't sound like a good idea from reading many of the previous reviews.

The only complaint I really have is the packaging. I would like if the box had a secure way of opening & closing, rather than the little punch-out hole/opening on the side of the box that doesn't close at all. This can get messy, easily. Other than that....for 65 cents, I'm not really complaining.

on 6/22/2013 2:18:00 AM

Still mixed on if baking soda is really bad to put on your skin as i know it has a ph level of 8 or 9. Anyways heres my take on it. I have been putting it in my spectro cleanser for a little while now, thought it worked fine as an exfoliator. However today I used it alone with water on my nose and cheeks... holy burning stinging like crazy. I now have a what looks like a sunburn rash all over my cheeks. Now I am confused... I'll take a break from it and then start putting it in my cleanser again and see what happens. So my take is that if you mix it with a cleanser it lowers its ph level but alone it is way to damaging to skin.. someone correct me if I am wrong.

on 6/11/2013 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

The great and wonderfull baking soda a multi tasking and affordable multi purpose cleaner its great as a house hold cleaner and its even a staple in my beauty regime it cleans excess gunk out of My hair brushes and combs it cleanses and clarifies my hair better then any other expensive clarifying shampoo can it can even be a great Alternative to the (no poo ) method with added apple cider Vinegar as Conditioner it can be used as a Exfoliater and its also great to sprinkle over my toothpaste for an extra Whitening effect its Amazing.

on 5/24/2013 10:25:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I have been using Retin A for a little while and baking soda really helps take care of the peelies. I do not use this as a mask but as a scrub every 2 or 3 days. First I use olive oil to melt my make up (especially mascara) and then use a hot flannel and apply to my face for a minute or so, wipe off excess oil and then use half a teaspoon of BS to gently scrub y face. I then use neutrogena pink grapefruit face wash, dry and apply either a moisturiser or my retin A. I absolutely love this combo on my 36 yr old skin and how it feels like a babys bottom afterwards :) I guess some people react badly to this, but for me it an HG product. Also use it to clarify my hair and rinse with acv, Makes my hair squeaky clean but also very dry. As long as I follow with a conditioner then all is good. Very happy with BS, am about to start using crisco as a moisturizer too....fingers crossed :)

on 5/23/2013 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I would purchase baking soda for other uses but not for my face. It burned my skin around my nose! my skin is now ....its not too noticeable unless you are close up on me. However, I am extremely self conscious about it. Thank God for BB cream because it has helped. I am currently using other products hoping and praying that the darkness fades. So, I would say to be EXTREMELY careful. I just found this website and wish I would have found it prior to trying this one my face.

I have, at long last, found an immediate cure to my blackheads. My nose isn't covered in blackheads (no strawberry nose), but it has blackheads scattered here and there. A scrub consisting of raw honey, fresh lemon juice, and baking soda scrubs away all signs of present blackheads and blackheads on the way. I do this once a week, as my face sprouts a few large bumps from irritation, but they disappear quickly (update: my skin has gotten used to it and doesn't get bumps anymore!). Do not skimp out on the lemon juice and honey, for they neutralize the harsh alkaline in baking soda and keep your skin ph balance.. well, balanced. Lemon and honey are both acidic, and your skin much prefers acidic products to alkaline ones. Without the baking soda, my blackheads would take much longer to clear (lemon itself gradually gets rid of them) but I have finally found a cure that delivers quick results.

on 5/1/2013 7:24:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

over the weekend a paste out of both baking soda and organic coconut oil. I was desperate because I had a bad reaction to a new moisturizer I tried out. Well, not only did this slough off all of the dead skin, but it also brightened my complexion. most importantly, it kept my oily skin at bay. no kind of prescription product or expensive moisturizer could do that for me. I have normal skin, but an oily T-zone. Toward the end of the day my face was a confused mess. my cheeks were dry but my T-zone was oily. Makeup would just wipe off of my face like an oil slick. I have used this paste 4 times with my Clarisonic brush and I love the outcome. my skin has never been as balanced as it is now. I also put a little organic coconut oil on my face in the evening just to help with my complexion.

on 4/26/2013 8:19:00 PM

I tried baking soda (using the finer grains from the Fridge & Freezer line) as an exfoliant twice last week. On the first try, my face felt smooth and slick! My face literally "squeaked" as I was washing the baking soda off. My face glowed, looked extremely smooth, my blackheads seemed to have visibly diminished and the pores on my nose shrunk. However, I also noticed that my face looked red, but I was too excited about being able to get rid of my blackheads that I didn't pay too much attention to the color of my face. About 2-3 days later, I decided to try it again with my Clarisonic. This time, I scrubbed it for about a minute and left it on for an extra minute while I rinsed off my conditioner in the shower. Big mistake! It burned my face and my face was noticeably redder than last time. Next day, my skin was drier, face felt "thicker", more course and bloated. Every bump and pore on my face looked irritated. That is because baking soda is a form of salt. Salt basically kills bacteria and retains water. While I would not use this for my entire face next time, I will admit that it is great scrub for getting rid of blackheads and reducing pore size on your nose - AS LONG AS YOU KEEP IT ON FOR A MINUTE MAX.

on 4/26/2013 1:38:00 PM

I use this as an exfoliating scrub and it is amazing! One teaspoon mixed with water for a nighttime super scrub or 1/4 teaspoon mixed with water-based face soap for a light morning scrub. It is fine but VERY abrasive, use gently and DO NOT leave it to sit on your face (OUCH!). The results are amazing and I will never buy another face scrub product again. I follow up with a spray toner to balance my skin's pH levels and then a small dab of Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentré. 2-cents... As a former acne sufferer, I would not use this if you have acne, the abrasiveness could really damage your skin and cause more inflammation.

Popular Other Products