Estee Lauder Youth Dew

3.1

on 4/6/2010 8:11:00 PM

I read Estee Lauder's autobio many years ago--its now out of print--and she said the fragrance was really created with men in mind. She would wear it in public while still developing the formula and from cab drivers to CEOs they all loved it. The Duke of Windsor, a friend of hers, always wanted the Duchess to wear Youth Dew

This fragrance has sentimental value to me. It is my mother's favorite fragrance. She is not one to overdo the perfume and it smells lovely on her. Every time I smell it, I think of her. But, this is not a fragrance I would choose for myself.

on 4/3/2010 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Youth Dew is THE classic Estee Lauder fragrance. Love it or hate it, it is the one which put Estee Lauder fragrance on the map! It's a nice floriental with what we've come to know as the typical Estee Lauder accord. This was always on my mother's dresser and I thought smelled nice on her. Mind you, my mother is not the type to overdo it--just a spritz or two was all she used. I echo that not overspraying and/or overlayering (with the host of great bath and body products available) is critical with this one. Either the powder or the edp--not both--if you are going to get the beautiful, delicate effect. The price for the quality is awesome, but poor little Youth Dew's packaging could stand a makeover. I read there was at one time a cute 50's retro bottle but haven't been able to locate one for my collection.

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Teeny squirts of this is best. Used this starting in high school in the '60's...and, yes, it is that old. Love the scent, but you really have to be careful how much you put on. This is definitely not a scent you can wear in hot weather, but works so well in cold winter weather. Sexy smell...very musty and all that.

on 12/22/2009 4:39:00 PM

Tried this at the mall after reading the other reviews. This is very strong and should be used sparingly or it will give you a headache. This reminds me a lot of Chanel No.5, I admire it but can't wear it. It's a grown up scent.

on 12/20/2009 2:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

When ladies wanted me to spray this for them at the counter I would hold my breath! It is so strong and stinks really bad.I noticed a more mature women like this fragrance.Its the first EL fragrance bit definitely the worst.

on 11/20/2009 4:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I was given this as a gift when i turned 30... eek!

All these years later, and I still love this fragrance. I do admit that sometimes when I find it too strong (something which many claim as the reason they hate it), I will spritz it on and take my shower afterwards.. the fragrance just looms and lingers on me and all over me.

My husband loves it and I am so used to the scent that I would not feel ME without it. I am not saying that I have not strayed and used other fragrances.. I do and will continue to do so. Fragrance is one of the many pleasures of life.
But this one is my favorite feminine scent and I will continue to buy it.

on 11/19/2009 12:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I used to work at an Estee Lauder counter and every time a woman (usually over the age of 60) would come test or buy Youth Dew, I would cringe. On its own, and on people who had the wrong body chemistry, it can smell pretty bad.

One day, I went out of town for a Lauder product school. Another BA had to apply Youth Dew body creme and parfum on me to show how to demonstrate to customers. When I heard Youth Dew, I was terrified. Once it was on my skin, however, it settled amazingly. I smelled sexy, gorgeous, confident, and classy.

Later that evening, I went out to a club and was still wearing the Youth Dew. I had SIX! different men approach me and tell me I smelled wonderful! My friends agreed. No one could believe it was Youth Dew.

Ever since, whenever I wear it I am always complimented by both men and women and everyone is shocked when hearing it is Youth Dew. Use it sparingly, as it is strong. I like to layer the scent and use minimal parfum. It doesn't smell good on everyone, and if you just test it from the bottle in the store, you will definitely not love it.

on 10/25/2009 5:29:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

First, a little history of my years with this perfume. About 15 years ago, when I was so young, 39! -- I was at a school function and got a whiff of a delightful and warm fragrance. I asked the woman the name of her perfume; she said, "Youth Dew." I'd never heard of it. This gal was about 10 years younger than me so I thought it was a new fragrance for younger women; that type of marketing was just beginning. back then in the mid-1990's. I asked my hairdresser about it and she said it was her favorite perfume. My hairdresser was my age. So I went to the dept. store and tried it, and fell in love. It looked like root beer in an adorable bottle with the gold bow, so sweet!

At that time, I wore (and still wear) Ombre Rose and Old Spice (got the biggest reaction from men from this classic scent whose ruination I am still grieving). So I added Youth Dew to my small perfume collection. Then my hormones began their circus act when I hit my mid-40's and perfumes did not smell the same on me, for me, to me. I took a seven year break, and when I returned to some semblance of body chemistry sanity, I took a whiff of Youth Dew and fell in love all over again.

This fragrance is not for younger women, and by younger I mean anyone under thirty. It is a scent for a female who has lived life more than a little, and is treasuring the memories of her youth, although she may still be very youthful. Frangrance is ALL about memories; you are either recalling them, evoking them, or making them. Youth Dew is evocative, and it takes some time on this earth to evoke things worthwhile.

The scent to me is warm, sweet, spicy, with a touch of leather and a lushness all its own which I find somewhat embracing. My husband loves it. One saleswoman in the perfume section of a high-end department store adored it on me, was certain it was Chanel, and was amazed it was humble Estee Lauder Youth Dew. She said on me it was very very nice. I tend toward spicy powdery ambery scents and I think that my chemistry just naturally agrees with a perfume like Youth Dew.

Do not bathe yourself in it because a little is all you need. There is a bit of moss to tone down the spicy floral scent, and I find the total experience of wearing it throughout the day and into the night (it will last till the next morning) a very sensual feeling but not in a harsh way. It soothes me but also stimulates me.

Perfume is such an individual matter that I recommend it only with certain caveats: not for girls, not for grumpy gals, not for women who are too busy to sit back and savour the dew of youth. I was raised among old ladies, and among old women who were not ladies, and I never inhaled anything this lovely in their presence.

I am almost through my latest bottle, and plan to repurchase eau de parfum in the spring.

on 10/14/2009 11:41:00 AM

I am soooo loving this right now. Perfect Fall/winter fragrance. I feel so special when i wear this. It actually puts me in a better mood i find. Sort of perks me up when im feeling down. I spray it on a few time thru the day.......and actually it goes quite soft. I find it actually doesn't last too long on the skin but more so if you spray it on your hair or clothes. I want to try the body powder, oil, and lotion. Wonderful fragrance, very distinctive. I highly recommend!!!

Popular Fragrances